Bose 901s run done

Options
124»

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Hmm. That's weird, I haven't experienced that. Out of five sets of NC headphones, I've only had the screech happen in the one earcup of the first pair of 700s I bought. Four other over-ear pair (700, 35ii, AT, one other) and a set of Bose earbuds, no issues whatsoever.

Which Bose speakers do you not like?

I don't recall the models but I just found the few I've heard sounded dull and they didn't have the sort of 'life' I like in a speaker. They also felt grossly overpriced, like I could find a much better speaker for the same price or even less. I've not heard their vintage stuff mind you so it could be MUCH better.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Okay, thanks, I was just wondering what to watch out for. You seem to have a lot of experience in a lot of areas. I'll definitely be following your posts here.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Okay, thanks, I was just wondering what to watch out for. You seem to have a lot of experience in a lot of areas. I'll definitely be following your posts here.

Unless I explicitly say I know from personal experience, I've done research on the internet, and the internet isn't reliable so take it with a grain of salt.

I started with computers, then got into retro gaming, then phone and laptop repair, then VR gaming, then audio, whole shebang.

My strong suit is tech. Still getting into the whole speakers and amplifiers thing but I have pretty good ears and I know my headphones very well. Computers, phones, laptops, VR, retro games, that stuff is where my wealth of knowledge is.

Would love to do electrical engineering in university. Seems fitting for my interests...
  • msg
    Options
    I wish I was good at tech. I like my Compaq laptop a lot. I like Windows XP just fine, but it's really getting slower and slower, and stuff hasn't been working right for a while. All sorts of pop-ups, warnings about memory and how it can't update my AV software. As long as it still works fine for getting to my banks and this place, I good.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I have a set of distribution disks (or maybe CDs, I actually don't remember) for Windows NT down in the basement. I am just sayin'.

Pretty sure there's a MS-DOS 6.2(2) distro down there, too...
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I wish I was good at tech. I like my Compaq laptop a lot. I like Windows XP just fine, but it's really getting slower and slower, and stuff hasn't been working right for a while. All sorts of pop-ups, warnings about memory and how it can't update my AV software. As long as it still works fine for getting to my banks and this place, I good.

I can't imagine rocking Windows XP still. It's a huge security risk I'm not sure if you're aware of that. Even being super careful on it could lead to your information getting stolen because it's missing crucial security patches.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro Developer release and it's been very nice. I highly recommend you upgrade even to a really cheap laptop, just as long as it's running Windows 11 for security reasons. Windows 11 is very easy to use and understand.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    I can't imagine rocking Windows XP still.

LOL....my first laptop ran Win3.1!

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2023
    Options
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

I can't imagine rocking Windows XP still. It's a huge security risk I'm not sure if you're aware of that. Even being super careful on it could lead to your information getting stolen because it's missing crucial security patches.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro Developer release and it's been very nice. I highly recommend you upgrade even to a really cheap laptop, just as long as it's running Windows 11 for security reasons. Windows 11 is very easy to use and understand.
    wow. dued you really know a lot! I'm kind of scared now tho. thanks a lot LOL :D:D:D<3>:)B):s

In your profesional upinion, do you think I coud run windows 12 on this Compact laptop? I maxed it out when I got it. it's got a Seleron prosser, and 768MB of RAMM. I also got the larger hart drive option, so 1 terrabite. I think that's pretty good isn't it? I use a usub 2.0 wirefli adapter, and I think it is pretty fast. my router is a Linksis. I really like the balck and purple color combnation.

is windows 12 availeble to load from floppy drive?

if i'm fast enough when I get a virus, why can't I just be protect that way? just pull my wirefi plug out? tenh they can't geat any more of my stuff, right? more people could stop becoming viktims of they knew htis trick. but it taks practise.

thank you for your advise.
    also I will pay you to up grade my laptop? I also haev a baggie with all teh brorken keys if you can stick those back on for me. I will pay more. with as asmart as you ar you could do it easy so I am thinking $150dollars with shipping both ways do you think shis is posible? please sent me your paypall or I can also go to wetnern Union. if you use that regular like I do. they know me their.

I only accept payments through Money Bank and I'd actually go for Windows 13, about $50 for shipping and I'll upgrade it with a pentium 4 MHz and 28 megabytes of storage
  • msg
    Options
    now your just messig wit me adn going way over my head, And everyone nows their is no widows 13. yet. thank you fo tnothing. I will go to the Greek Sqwawd tomorrow. I say good day.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Can we get back on track with the Bose stuff?

How abouuut - Top Three Bose speakers to consider for stereo. With the reflecting drivers, I suspect most of those types of speakers are more for room fill and there wouldn't be any imaging to speak of, really?

@westmassguy - Dave, you still hopping in from time to time? 901 Continentals are the cream, is this accurate?
    • Let's assume that 901s go on this list, and along with any advice in shopping them. I remember reading/hearing that the EQ is a must have.
    • So, three others.
    • Let's say two floor standing types and some of the small/medium bookshelf speakers, like the 201s or 301s maybe?
    • Model and Series, since I've heard that some serieseses in a particular model were better than others.
    • Other references, like those contributed above are good info, as well.

I'm taking over Lew's thread I guess.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I like the 301s, FWIW. They're not big sounding loudspeakers, but they do get the midrange right.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Can we get back on track with the Bose stuff?

How abouuut - Top Three Bose speakers to consider for stereo. With the reflecting drivers, I suspect most of those types of speakers are more for room fill and there wouldn't be any imaging to speak of, really?

@westmassguy - Dave, you still hopping in from time to time? 901 Continentals are the cream, is this accurate?
    • Let's assume that 901s go on this list, and along with any advice in shopping them. I remember reading/hearing that the EQ is a must have.
    • So, three others.
    • Let's say two floor standing types and some of the small/medium bookshelf speakers, like the 201s or 301s maybe?
    • Model and Series, since I've heard that some serieseses in a particular model were better than others.
    • Other references, like those contributed above are good info, as well.

I'm taking over Lew's thread I guess.

I answered you already Scott, go back to page two.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • msg
    Options
    Holy moly, I completely missed that, Dave, and don't even remember posting it! Uhh, I might need some time off.

Disregard my last, all.

Thanks, Dave - I need to read back this thread. I didn't realize quite how much informative activity there's been.
    I disabled signatures.