iPhone 7 release - anyone "upgrading?"

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I'm not going to quote and respond to each post individually, but am seeing a few common points being brought up that could use some clarification:

First, Apple are giving us the adapter we need in the box to plug headphones into the iPhone. it's a standard headphone to lightning adapter, and it comes in the box, for free. They're not "nickel and diming" anything...it's free. It IS an adapter but is small and unobtrusive and I plan to just leave it plugged into my headphones, extending the headphone cable by a whopping extra 2 inches...oh my god whatever shall I do?!?!?!

Second, they used the room they cleared up there to rearrange the internals and get us better performance AND better battery life, I'll take both of those as a tradeoff. Not everybody will agree though, which is why they're are keeping the 6 in the lineup. Nobody HAS to go out and buy the iPhone 7, if you like the trade-off as I do then great, if not then you have other options in their line up or obviously the world of Android phones.

Third, this notion of iCloud being a scam is completely absurd. I pay $.99 a month for 50GB of storage which covers all my needs and then some. $.99, NINETY NINE CENTS as in less than ONE DOLLAR per month. Hopefully people don't take this the wrong way, but if $.99 a month had even the smallest amount of impact on any decision I made whatsoever then I wouldn't own a smartphone and it would absolutely be the last thing on my mind.

Finally, I do agree that iCloud is NOT a substitute for local storage and they've doubled those in the phones this year, ranging from 32GB to 256GB. 256GB and the new AudioQuest Dragonfly Red means I can ditch my AK player.

All that being said...

I actually watched the press conference and it was horrible to watch...complete trainwreck. When Phil stood up on stage and said it took courage to remove the headphone jack I almost threw up in my mouth. He's right, by the way, in that it does take some stones to rip out current technologies like they've done here and in the past and they've usually been on the right side of those decisions...but you never ACTUALLY SAY that. WTF? The Nintendo demo was a complete disaster as well. Tim Cook is a terrible presenter and orator, the board of directors needs to sit him down and say "No Mas". I'm actually fine with their concept of announcing their products as a solo act instead of somewhere like CES, they've earned that right, but they have GOT to get better presenters on stage.

One of the probems I have with the adaptor for the 3.5mm jack is that you can't charge while you use wired headphones. Not cool when you're on a plane and it's a 7h flight and you're running low on juice.

So yeah, it's a big deal.

Maybe if they put 2 of those lightning jacks that's acceptable.

No consumer foresight yet they charge nearly a grand for the 7?!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Joey_V wrote: »

Nearly a grand huh ? So I guess that adapter, while included, isn't exactly free. Just build it into the price of the phone and call it free.

Hey, you can get a free HT receiver with a Polk soundbar....for 1299.00 lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Capitalism. My 7 with 128GB was $750. Heck, I have spent $3000 three times for a power cable. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Capitalism. My 7 with 128GB was $750. Heck, I have spent $3000 three times for a power cable. :)

Reminds me a couple weeks ago I was shopping online for a new pair of Keen hiking sandals and was peeved that they had gone up $20 in the last 2 years and I refused to buy them. Couple days later out of the blue Zappo's sent me a $20 coupon. I got back online and the sandals were on sale for another $20 off, so instead of $100 I spent $64 w/shipping.

My wife said "wtf Ron, you'll go out and spend $20k on audio gear and your cheap a$$ won't spend $100 on a pair of shoes" :o ....I looked at her and said "I gotta cut corners somewhere" :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I couldn't stand using the glitchy and slow S4 anymore so I went to the Apple store and bought a 6S Plus 64GB for $699. However, since the 7 has launched, the 6S Plus doesn't qualify for the apple upgrade program (even though you can't actually purchase a 7 yet - you can only preorder one). Right now, the price of the 128GB 6S Plus is $749. Next Friday it's going to drop to $699. Since I have 13 days to return the 64GB 6S Plus, the salesperson suggested that I come back next week and return my new phone for one with 2x the capacity for $0 additional. Sounds like a plan to me.

I had the 6 previously and I really liked it. The 6S plus is a lot heavier but I like the bigger screen and "supposedly" better battery life. I will be picking up a battery case to carry with me in the event that the battery is dying and I can't plug in somewhere. I can use the headphone jack while the battery case charges the phone and the battery case has stereo speakers on the front bottom portion.

They'll probably sell battery cases for the 7 eventually too.

I used to carry a spare battery with me when I had the Samsung galaxy Note II, S5, & S4 just in case I needed a boost. The battery cases they sell for the apple phones are priced similarly to an additional android battery. I should say they were before Samsung went with internal batteries you couldn't swap out easily just like iPhone batteries.

So, I guess you could still say that I've "upgraded" since I went from the 6 to the 6S Plus. lol.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    Just got the SE a few months ago. Nothing too necessary this time to force an upgrade.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722

One of the probems I have with the adaptor for the 3.5mm jack is that you can't charge while you use wired headphones. Not cool when you're on a plane and it's a 7h flight and you're running low on juice.

To clarify, 'nearly a grand' is actually $649 for the model most people will get, which is actually not anywhere near a grand.

Saying there's no consumer foresight is simply incorrect, you're just not the consumer they're building it for. I'd rather give up the headphone port and get the extra two hours of battery life, better performance and better antenna layout...but I'm not self centered enough to expect that everyone has my same set of priorities or requirements in a phone and said as much in my post above.

The phone isn't for you and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'll never understand the hyperbole and inaccuracies being spread in posts like that.
  • BlueFox
    Other than once being on hold for two hours with Social Security, I have never used the annoying, hearing damaging head phones that came with the iPhone 5. And that was torture, my ears were killing me after that. Whenever I see people listening to music on their phones I have to wonder about their hearing, and their sanity. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halo
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Other than once being on hold for two hours with Social Security, I have never used the annoying, hearing damaging head phones that came with the iPhone 5. And that was torture, my ears were killing me after that. Whenever I see people listening to music on their phones I have to wonder about their hearing, and their sanity. :)

I'm not a fan of the included ear buds either. I use a set of Velodyne Vpulse IEMs.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I have about 4 pairs of unused Apple ear buds, they suck, and don't fit my ears. I use a pair of Panasonic noise cancelling buds, that seal out the noise and actually sound really good for their price point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Agreed, the EarPods are actually decent ear buds, by far the best I've ever been given for free with any phone.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I have a BAD addiction to Apple products. I have a 128GB 6S Plus. I have NOT upgraded yet because I'm trying to tell myself that I don't need the better camera and I don't need the better screen. The 3.5 jack is really whats making me WANT to upgrade. Has anyone had the pleasure of listening to their music through the lightning jack? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and do it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V

To clarify, 'nearly a grand' is actually $649 for the model most people will get, which is actually not anywhere near a grand.

Saying there's no consumer foresight is simply incorrect, you're just not the consumer they're building it for. I'd rather give up the headphone port and get the extra two hours of battery life, better performance and better antenna layout...but I'm not self centered enough to expect that everyone has my same set of priorities or requirements in a phone and said as much in my post above.

The phone isn't for you and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'll never understand the hyperbole and inaccuracies being spread in posts like that.

Apparently it's not just me otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion about the headphone socket in the first place.

And yes I stand by my statement, but let me tweak it.

Apple knows their customer base. They know if they added a second lightning port then it would cannibalize their push for wireless headphones since people will just treat it as a headphone jack + a an extra 3" dongle.

So yes, Apple had consumer foresight - you're right. Consumer foresight to limit our options and push for the wireless set to be more appetizing.

So the phone is perfect for you, that's great. But it ain't for me and a bunch of others it seems.

In the end, who cares. It's just another phone. There'll be a new one in 6 months.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    DSkip wrote: »
    The newer versions work better than the originals. They dropped the circle and made it more of a canal plug now. I hated the originals, but I can actually stand to listen to the new ones without severe ear fatigue.
    I don't like the new ones because it falls off my ear.
  • halo
    Well, to generate sales of the 7 you can basically get one for free by trading in your iPhone 6 or 6S. You'll get a $650 credit which is the cost of the iPhone 7 32GB. Yes, you can pay extra for the 7 Plus or the 128GB or 256GB memory options. I guess they're desperate to move the 7. If you are contemplating a switch of your carrier, now may be a good time to do so.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    iphone-7-battery-life.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

Dear god people. If you are talking about battery life, you need to step away from your iphones....no seriously!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    mrbiron wrote: »
    iphone-7-battery-life.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

Dear god people. If you are talking about battery life, you need to step away from your iphones....no seriously!

Mo battery power, mo problems bro
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    walle-e-humans-in-the-spaceship.jpg
    Iphone 8...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • They charge $100 to upgrade from 32gb to 128gb? that's gouging. A 128GB retails for like $35.00... final cost to apple is probably $10-15...But people go crazy for their IPhones and perpetuate the gouging. Surprised nobody has opened up a shop/franchise to increase your iphone memory... Is there some proprietary firmware as well as the physical barriers to prevent you from doing that?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Sticking with my 6 - I like the earphone jack as it is.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I just bought a 120gb micro sd card for my phone, total shipped 55$ and that's CAD. So I'll have the 32 internal and 120 in the SD.
  • The outrage over the loss of the headphone jack on this site is fascinating, really. This site tends to value the fidelity of sound over small conveniences...and that is a large part of what is being brought to the fore here. This has been said in passing before, but to reiterate...

This article does a good job explaining the trade off:
    http://www.vox.com/2016/9/7/12822516/apple-iphone-7-headphone

In short:
    -The 3.5mm jack means that historically all sound processing circuitry had to be in the phone, which meant the hardware used was mediocre because the phone needed to be compact to sell.
    -The lightning jack allows that circuitry to be moved to headphones, opening the possibility of higher fidelity devices being used in the future because the phone is not the limited factor.
    -Noise cancelling capability is now capable in much smaller headphones, because the lightning port can transfer enough power to remove the batteries these types of headphones needed in the past.
    -A few other points are also in the article.

So it isn't something for nothing. Seems some here care more about convenience than sound quality after all! Time to bring back the Bose wave radios!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Thats what I was trying to point out earlier.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Our focus on the headphone jack as a headphone jack is missing the bigger picture.....

kp4eb0poj4p7.jpg
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Joey_V
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    The outrage over the loss of the headphone jack on this site is fascinating, really. This site tends to value the fidelity of sound over small conveniences...and that is a large part of what is being brought to the fore here. This has been said in passing before, but to reiterate...

This article does a good job explaining the trade off:
    http://www.vox.com/2016/9/7/12822516/apple-iphone-7-headphone

In short:
    -The 3.5mm jack means that historically all sound processing circuitry had to be in the phone, which meant the hardware used was mediocre because the phone needed to be compact to sell.
    -The lightning jack allows that circuitry to be moved to headphones, opening the possibility of higher fidelity devices being used in the future because the phone is not the limited factor.
    -Noise cancelling capability is now capable in much smaller headphones, because the lightning port can transfer enough power to remove the batteries these types of headphones needed in the past.
    -A few other points are also in the article.

So it isn't something for nothing. Seems some here care more about convenience than sound quality after all! Time to bring back the Bose wave radios!
    I still say bring 2 lightnings
  • BlueFox
    Whatever. I guess my new 7 will ship Friday. I am looking forward to it since I am tired of my iPhone 5 being tie-wrapped together for the last year. I have had it four years, and it is time for a new one. I never use the ear phones, so that whole discussion is moot, from my perspective.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Found this... for us on an audio forum funny for sure. x4u7gwf357l2.jpg
  • The issue with the headphone jack is the lack of the ability to charge and listen.

I understand that digital out allows for my flexible EQ, however eventually the battery life on phones takes a crap and you don't get much out of a charge.. With a iPhone you can't just install a new battery yourself either... So you have to charge more often... But then you can't listen while you do.

My wife's 6 gets less than 2 hours on a full charge. She listens to music on her phone in the background at work during her entire shift which is considerably longer than that....

Hence the anger. If somewhere there was a splitter to allow it to be charged that would alleviate most problems.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    The iPhone 6S Plus 64GB that I bought last week ended up being defective. Last night I went into the Apple store to return it and to pick up the iP6S Plus 128GB that I ordered before going to the store that evening with my wife. Her iP6s is on the fritz with the sound going in and out on both the headphone jack and the speakerphone.

As usual, the store was very crowded but we were helped pretty quickly. I got my stuff taken care of in a little over an hour (erase the 6S Plus I'm returning, update the 6S Plus I'm buying to IOS 10 - which is pretty darn cool, set up the new phone, restore from the iCloud, etc. Unfortunately, we have to go back next weekend for a tech to be able to check out my wife's phone (next weekend is my wife's earliest availability - a tech could have seen her on Monday).

So far, I'm happy with the 6S Plus 128GB w/ IOS 10. Battery life is better than the 6S Plus 64GB that I returned, the home button functions properly on the new phone, etc. etc.

When the iPhone 8 comes out next year, I will likely swap the 6S Plus out for the 10th anniversary edition of the iPhone. Personally, I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the 7 because I saved some money by staying with the 6S plus and it's an upgrade over the 6 that I had before (which I liked quite a bit) but, that said, my wife and I are definitely looking forward to the 8.