iPhone 7 release - anyone "upgrading?"

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Investors are NEVER impressed, look at all their previous product announcements and this happens every time, if anything it fell less than normal this time. They've been "loosing cell phone market share" for years now, they're doing just fine.

I'm ordering the 7 Plus
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Cousin recently went from flip phone to note 7. She came up and started playing with my iPad. Asked me why her phone couldn't be this easy to use. Told her she didn't have an iPhone.

She's going to preorder tomorrow.

Really simple. Apple products are a little expensive, but they work. I haven't had a problem with an apple product since I went from blackberry to iPhone 4. Personally happy with my 6 se, so don't plan to upgrade.

Some phones do a thing or two better than iPhones, but Apple has an exceptionally stable platform. May have to do a hard reboot every once in a while, but it works.

Really; headphones is a deal breaker?

I guess I can kind of understand that, if I tried hard enough. Personally I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time to find which headphones are synergistically best with my phone, but I guess that makes me a novice in this hobby.

Not trying to talk bad about people's preferences here, but I really have to scratch my head. Apple just makes their current products better, before adding some new feature. People on an audio forum complain, when they know a 100 year technology, vinyl, can never be surpassed in sonic bliss by .... anything.

Guess people will buy what they like, and that's the way it should be.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    You couldn't give me an i anything.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I agree that they're easy to use, very, and everything "just works". Especially for a person that is not very techy. Apple also has a consistency where one Android device can look and work completely different from another.

I prefer Android for a few reasons. You can take the back off most all Androids and replace the battery, easy peasy. Yes with some tools you can replace the glued in iPhone battery but 95% of the users out there aren't going to or be willing to do that. Their choice is to pay Apple $80 or whatever it is and be out a phone for a while. You can buy as large and as many micro sd cards as you want on most Androids, you're not limited to internal storage as well as paying exorbitant memory prices. Competition between brands running Android keeps prices down, there's only one place to get an iPhone. If Android didn't exist they'd be able to charge even more.

Once you buy into one of the eco systems though it doesn't make much sense to switch. All the money you spent on apps and what not, unless you're stealing them, goes out the window.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Really; headphones is a deal breaker?

To me? You bet it is! I have a nice pair of Polk Noise Cancelling headphones I wear every time I cut the grass while streaming Spotify over my phone. I know the 7 comes with a little adapter, but at the rate we "misplace" chargers in this family, it's just another wire that I'd have to constantly be buying replacements. Apple is saying they needed that 'space' the headphone jack occupied. Really? Phones keep getting bigger and bigger. I find is hard to believe they couldn't keep it. And would anyone have been upset if they KEPT the headphone jack? I doubt it. So why anger some of their buyers? Only reason I can think of is the 'accessories' (adapter, wireless air pods, docking station,...) they can now sell.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhones are great in many regards. And we have four in this family (three 6s's and one 6). I'm typing from one now. But there are several things (everything Nightfall mentions above) that just irritate me about Apple. Will we eventually get a 7? More than likely - that's what my firm gives their employees and I'm on a 2-year upgrade cycle. My wife and kids have Apple phones too because I do and their friends do. The last two phones we got, we paid $100 more EACH for 64GB memory over the 16GB. Apple and their loyalists claim that the headphone jack is/was outdated technology, and they're being cutting edge going wireless. When will Apple get with the times and Stop charging their customers 10-year-old prices for additional memory? Never, because they don't have to! That... Drives me crazy.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Something else to remember about a feature with apple products is Facetime. It's way better than skype. Also, my iPhone can be linked to my Macbook/iMac so I can answer the phone on the computer while I'm working or respond to texts with the keyboard on the computer (as opposed to stop whatever I'm doing, pick up the phone, taking the call (or looking to see who's calling if I'm screening), or answering a text quickly without switching to the phone to see if it's important or if it can wait).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    halo wrote: »
    Something else to remember about a feature with apple products is Facetime.

That's one of the main reasons my family all has iPhones. With the amount of traveling I do, Facetime has made the nights away from the kids a little easier to deal with. iPhones certainly have their pluses, it just seems to me the negatives all seem to be related to ways to get more of your money (iCloud, accessories, more device memory, battery replacement, etc.)

I'm with Tony, we (me & my family) need to spend less time on our phones (not that we're as bad as many) and more time enjoying the finer things in life. It really is sad that we live in a society where we have to 'schedule' electronics-free time...
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Not me I ain't upgrading. I like my iPhone 6s very much... I was at a 5s until Emma destroyed my phone
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halo
    Apple has replaced the 6S &6S Plus 16GB with 32GB. 64GB has been replaced with 128GB & 128GB has been replaced with 256GB.

I was going to get the 64GB 6S Plus at a discount but the 32GB will have to do.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I use an android tablet at home, it's fexability is nice, and it can be a little confusing and hard to use, expandable memory is nice. A phone is a phone, why the hell do you need all those android features in a phone? Downloading torrents and movies? And all that other crap that keeps people's heads down looking at their phone all the time. I phones work great as phones, and yes they are stable, 95% of the people I know with androids have issues with them within a year, then they send them away and get a crappy loaner phone from their provider. The android/iPhone debate is as tiring as cable debates. I absolutely hate that when I have lunch everyone in our lunch room is staring down at their phones the whole time, no one says one word to each other. Although I thoroughly enjoy all those idiots tripping on curbs and walking into ponds with their heads down texting.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I use an android tablet at home, it's fexability is nice, and it can be a little confusing and hard to use, expandable memory is nice. A phone is a phone, why the hell do you need all those android features in a phone? Downloading torrents and movies? And all that other crap that keeps people's heads down looking at their phone all the time. I phones work great as phones, and yes they are stable, 95% of the people I know with androids have issues with them within a year, then they send them away and get a crappy loaner phone from their provider. The android/iPhone debate is as tiring as cable debates. I absolutely hate that when I have lunch everyone in our lunch room is staring down at their phones the whole time, no one says one word to each other. Although I thoroughly enjoy all those idiots tripping on curbs and walking into ponds with their heads down texting.

It's a part of the way things work now.

When I was a kid, we made plans before we went out. If plans fell apart we were sol. That might lead to a busted night out or an adventure to find something else to do.

Now, if plans go awry, you can contact everyone immediately because everyone has access to many different firms of communicating with one another.

It's s double edged sword. We can get info immediately but we are also reachable 24/7. Since we have access to info all the time work comes home with us much more than it ever did before.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited September 2016
    95% of the people I know with androids have issues with them within a year, then they send them away and get a crappy loaner phone from their provider.

I've had the same Android phone for like 7 years now. Still works fine. I don't have service on it anymore because there's no cell service for several miles where I live but I text with it over my internet connection with a free app. It's be dropped more times than I can count, the outside case is starting to crack and fall apart. If newer Androids are as prone to breaking as you guys are making out I'm not going to enjoy getting a new one when I have to.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I guess we should be all fired up on the Galaxy Note 7, I heard sales were exploding
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I guess we should be all fired up on the Galaxy Note 7, I heard sales were exploding

heh -- a hot topic.

A real firecracker, you are.

;)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    I am tired of Apple's "proprietary" connections. I have a $1500 Apple monitor that I received that is almost completely useless to me even though it produces a wonderful picture because it CANNOT be adapted to input an HDMI signal from a non-apple PC? Heck it won't even work with some "newer" Apples!

Now! Who needs a headphone jack, right! Well if you have some NICE cans, YOU MIGHT! lol

Apple needs to stop nickel-and-diming the world with their "accessories"!

I use a smart phone newer than Mr. Hs above. But it cost me VERY little and the plan is $2.99 a month! Can't get much cheaper than that! And I still have the track phone that H has but I'm not paying the $10 a month for it anymore!

On the other hand, my wife, daughter, sister, and just about everyone else in the family is iphoning? I just can't bring myself to, even though I was ONE of the very first adopters of Macs back in the '80s, and worked part time Beta testing Mac software during my student years (on Madison Ave., no less, lol).

As for Fordism and Taylorism, they're still pretty much with us, just more automated than not. The pillars of the transformation and standardization of industrial production have been fodder for some of the most famous pieces of Utopian and, more so, Dystopian fiction since their inception. But few care about these things so do "we" really need to discuss them? Not really. (I could recommend David Harvey, but who here has read him and who would agree with him? No one! Let us all occupy our "niches" and be happy! lol)
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I was going to order the 4" SE, but, what the heck, I just ordered a 128GB Jet Black 7. While I liked my iPhone 5 size, looking at pictures on it was it's biggest weakness.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mmm -- the only David Harvey I know is a glycoconjugate mass spectrometrist at Oxford. I don't get out much ;)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I'm not going to quote and respond to each post individually, but am seeing a few common points being brought up that could use some clarification:

First, Apple are giving us the adapter we need in the box to plug headphones into the iPhone. it's a standard headphone to lightning adapter, and it comes in the box, for free. They're not "nickel and diming" anything...it's free. It IS an adapter but is small and unobtrusive and I plan to just leave it plugged into my headphones, extending the headphone cable by a whopping extra 2 inches...oh my god whatever shall I do?!?!?!

Second, they used the room they cleared up there to rearrange the internals and get us better performance AND better battery life, I'll take both of those as a tradeoff. Not everybody will agree though, which is why they're are keeping the 6 in the lineup. Nobody HAS to go out and buy the iPhone 7, if you like the trade-off as I do then great, if not then you have other options in their line up or obviously the world of Android phones.

Third, this notion of iCloud being a scam is completely absurd. I pay $.99 a month for 50GB of storage which covers all my needs and then some. $.99, NINETY NINE CENTS as in less than ONE DOLLAR per month. Hopefully people don't take this the wrong way, but if $.99 a month had even the smallest amount of impact on any decision I made whatsoever then I wouldn't own a smartphone and it would absolutely be the last thing on my mind.

Finally, I do agree that iCloud is NOT a substitute for local storage and they've doubled those in the phones this year, ranging from 32GB to 256GB. 256GB and the new AudioQuest Dragonfly Red means I can ditch my AK player.

All that being said...

I actually watched the press conference and it was horrible to watch...complete trainwreck. When Phil stood up on stage and said it took courage to remove the headphone jack I almost threw up in my mouth. He's right, by the way, in that it does take some stones to rip out current technologies like they've done here and in the past and they've usually been on the right side of those decisions...but you never ACTUALLY SAY that. WTF? The Nintendo demo was a complete disaster as well. Tim Cook is a terrible presenter and orator, the board of directors needs to sit him down and say "No Mas". I'm actually fine with their concept of announcing their products as a solo act instead of somewhere like CES, they've earned that right, but they have GOT to get better presenters on stage.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited September 2016
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I was going to order the 4" SE, but, what the heck, I just ordered a 128GB Jet Black 7. While I liked my iPhone 5 size, looking at pictures on it was it's biggest weakness.

I loved my five, and once you are used to the size of a six, the five looks tiny in comparison. It's nice to see the included head phone adapter in the box. I was thinking the other day, it's super rare I even listen to music from my phone anyway, if I do it's blue tooth to my wireless speaker around the fire pit or camping. Then again I have an iPod for music as well.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I'm going to sit this model out and stick with my 6Plus 64gb. I'd like to get the 7Plus, but my current one is perfectly fine. They're talking up the camera on this new model, but once you've shot with a Nikon D4 and D810, puny cameras like this just don't cut it. It's kinda like going from massive SDA's down to Bose.

Apple losing the headphone jack doesn't bother me in the least. Free adaptor, ok i'm good. Move along.

The iCloud, i've not had any issues. Again, move along.

I watched the Keynote Address and UGH, that Pokemon Go demo was simply horrible! The guy on stage presenting was trying so hard to sound enthusiastic and pump up the product, but it was dead silent crickets for him. Painful, I forwarded over that mess. The other game demos, big deal, who cares.

Actually, the one guy I like watching present is Craig Federighi, the head of software development. He's quite entertaining and funny at times.

Anyway, i'm sitting this one out mainly due to rumors of OLED screens coming to the iPhone (and other devices) next year. Plus, my current phone is in perfect shape.
    No excuses!
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited September 2016
    900 for the 32 and almost 1200 for the 256! LOL!!! I could buy a pretty nice computer for that.

Time for some side-talkin'

sidetalking.com/Images-General/DSC00523.jpg

sidetalking.com/Images-General/DSCF0176.jpg
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I have no choice but to stick with my company supplied 5S. No camera, 16 or 32 GB I can't remember. I get unlimited data and International calls paid for my my company. The phone works anywhere that I have traveled in Europe, Asia. They pay $45/month, not a bad deal. I am subject to monitoring but I can live with it.
    Carl

• I'm steering toward a Samsung S7 at the moment. A lot of people are telling me it's a better phone, obviously it doesn't have that stupid proprietary headphone jack & Samsung provide software to seamlessly migrate all Iphone data to the phone. My only reservation with Android phones is the necessity of anti-virus/anti-malware software.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bodhi wrote: »
    I'm steering toward a Samsung S7 at the moment. A lot of people are telling me it's a better phone, obviously it doesn't have that stupid proprietary headphone jack & Samsung provide software to seamlessly migrate all Iphone data to the phone. My only reservation with Android phones is the necessity of anti-virus/anti-malware software.

Most have anti virus software on their computers I would hope, so if your going to use your phone as one it only makes sense.

For me personally, I don't put anything on my phone worthy of anyone snatching. I don't link it to other accounts or put personal info on it. 90% of the time I use it as a phone.....go figure.

More to Mikey's point, yeah the availability of instant info is nice, but it also creates an addiction which is pretty obvious because people can't put the darn phone down. If they go out without it, they start getting the jitters and may convulse. Sure sign of an addiction if you ask me. You can almost compare it to sugar. Once they found out sugar was an addicting substance, they started putting it in everything.

Apple has been good at creating that addiction, Android too. After all, what company wouldn't want you to be addicted to their products ? I know Polk sure would. Smarter men than myself have often said, "everything in moderation", too much of any one thing isn't good for you health wise or socially. I tend to agree.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    man, I'm glad that I don't have an addictive personality...
    24377365673_00c0cd649a_b.jpg013 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

hmmm... maybe that's why I don't have/don't want a smartphone -- I have enough trouble tearing myself away from this danged laptop...

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    The port adapter isn't free it's part of the 900 you're paying. What will people do if they want to charge and listen to music. We all know iPhones are glued to their chargers. Really? Still limiting the amount of storage... come on Apple get with the times. You want a big change how about a micro SD card slot instead of removing the 3.5 mm jack. I find apple and Bose on the same level in terms of marketing and proprietary connections.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    We all have our addictions pal. LOL I don't see the downside to being addicted to audio, music is good for the soul and your health. Maybe not so much the wallet, or if you never left the room and became a recluse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Looks to me like you have remote control h e l l. Time to get a smart phone, and tame that herd.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    We all have our addictions pal. LOL I don't see the downside to being addicted to audio, music is good for the soul and your health. Maybe not so much the wallet, or if you never left the room and became a recluse.

Well, on the bright side, I haven't had a lot of trouble with obsolescence.
    I think that the 2A3 direct heated power triode came out in the 1930s -- and they're still readily available today as new production.

24124910010_97f058e655_b.jpg2A3spnbox by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    16187805777_019bdb6d9f_b.jpgDSC_0128 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: What is this "remote control" of which you speak? Is it anything like Zenith "Space Command"?

When I wuz a kid, we used to jingle a set of keys in front of the "Space Command" TVs to activate the remote control receiver (which used ultrasonic audio), albeit kind of randomly.