iPhone 7 release - anyone "upgrading?"

Options
I had an iPhone 6 that was stolen about two months ago. I didn't have the insurance on it so I didn't get a replacement because the iPhone 7's release date is so close.

I figured that it made more sense to see what the new model offered vs the 6S / 6S Plus and, if it isn't a significant improvement, just go with the 6S or 6S plus as the price will drop by $100.

However, some reports are saying the iPhone 7 will come standard with 32 GB > 16 GB in the 6S / 6S Plus. In other words, I'd be getting a little more storage space with the new phone compared to the 16 GB entry level model on the 6S / 6S Plus. Upgrading to 64 GB > 16 GB on the 6S / 6S Plus is only a $50 difference.

As for data, is anyone using a 16 GB iPhone + iCloud without the need for more storage? I read somewhere that iCloud doesn't allow users to back up everything and is kind of a scam.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    iCloud is a scam. I have a 16 GB 6s (company standard). It's always full (mainly pictures). I can't backup to iCloud without paying because it's ALL or none. My photos are slightly over the 5 GB you get for free, therefore, I'd have to pay for more iCloud storage. Stupid Apple and their lack of adding storage ON the device... Get off my lawn Mr. Jobs!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    iCloud is a scam. I have a 16 GB 6s (company standard). It's always full (mainly pictures). I can't backup to iCloud without paying because it's ALL or none. My photos are slightly over the 5 GB you get for free, therefore, I'd have to pay for more iCloud storage. Stupid Apple and their lack of adding storage ON the device... Get off my lawn Mr. Jobs!!

Well, he kinda did, technically he might be under your lawn... :p

I am going the cheap(er) route, getting rid of my 4s for a 6s with 64Gb. I think I can
    get one of those for $199 now? And I'm with @scubalab, it's always sucked that you can't add external memory, but I doubt they're going to change any time soon.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If getting a 6 model, carry it in a case that won't allow it to bend. The "Touch Disease" is becoming the top issue with this phone. Flexible boards with solder joints that fail......imagine that.

I have a 6 and 6S+ in my house and will see what the 7 offers before upgrading. Haven't had any issues with my phones, but have them in cases full time.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    I'm inclined to quit purchasing from any company that takes political stands one way or the other. Putting money into Tim Cook's pocket so he can very publically contribute it to a candidate I don't support isn't too smart to me... For a similar reason, I don't shop at Target anymore and it appears many others don't either as their same-store sales are down around 20%. End of rant.

As for any new features in the 7, the prevailing rumors don't make it sound too impressive anyway. I'll probably keep my iPhone 6 and upgrade to another brand around the end of the year.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I didn't have any issues with my iPhone 6.

If it wasn't stolen from me, I'd still have it and I wouldn't be considering an upgrade at all.

I have had issues with Samsung phones (Note II, S5, S4) and I have no desire to go back to an android device.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Going on almost 2 years with an iPhone 6, it has worked flawlessly. I feel no reason to upgrade. The new iPhone 7 rumors of no head phone jack is a major deal breaker for me. I might upgrade to the 6s with a bigger capacity and that's it. Might cross the pond to an android phone, but I really like the ease of use iPhones.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    Options
    When the iPhone 7 is released, the price on the 6S & 6S Plus will come down by $100

At that point, I will most likely get the 6S Plus with 64 GB. I had 64 gigs on my iPhone 6 and never ran out of space after almost two years with it.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been using iphones for both work and personal use for years now and only had 1 flake out on me.

I just bought a used ATT iphone 6 off CL for $380 with 128GB. I always buy my phones used from CL and don't have contracts and don't pay full price.

I agree, when the 7 comes out the price on 6 will probably drop about $100 and will also drop on the used market. I should have waited to buy mine, but upgraded my sons phone and needed a replacement.

Buying on CL I don't put money in Apple's pockets.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Hold onto your wallet! New iPhone releases are never cheap. I have a 5S issued by my company. Yes it's outdated but the price is right! ;)
    Carl

• halo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    I've been using iphones for both work and personal use for years now and only had 1 flake out on me.

I just bought a used ATT iphone 6 off CL for $380 with 128GB. I always buy my phones used from CL and don't have contracts and don't pay full price.

I agree, when the 7 comes out the price on 6 will probably drop about $100 and will also drop on the used market. I should have waited to buy mine, but upgraded my sons phone and needed a replacement.

Buying on CL I don't put money in Apple's pockets.

If no one buys new iPhones, there won't be any iPhones for you to buy on CL ;)

@schwarcw - I used to think that the iPhones were too pricey but now they're all in the same ballpark. You're lucky that work bought you a phone! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting the new 5S, especially if the price drops a bit. Currently using an iPhone 5 that is held together with two tie-wraps. The screen came unglued from its base.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    SE is what I meant. Thanks.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My current Iphone 6 contract is expiring in October & I plan to upgrade to the Iphone 7 when it drops. I'll go for a 64gb version in black as I like to load a lot of ALAC files. With that said, my A&K AK300 is my main DAP now. I was seriously tempted by the Samsung, but the seamless migration of data and higher security of IOS tipped me in that direction.
  • halo
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    My current Iphone 6 contract is expiring in October & I plan to upgrade to the Iphone 7 when it drops. I'll go for a 64gb version in black as I like to load a lot of ALAC files. With that said, my A&K AK300 is my main DAP now. I was seriously tempted by the Samsung, but the seamless migration of data and higher security of IOS tipped me in that direction.

64GB is off the table. Apple now only sells 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB for the iPhone 7. If you want to be slick, get the limited edition Jet Black (only available w/ 256GB). :smile:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Apparently the new 7 has no headphone jack and a better camera. The headphone jack thing, isn't entirely true though. You can buy their Wi-Fi tongle and use their wireless earphones......and an additional cost of around 200 bones. Isn't that special....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    If true Tony, that's a deal breaker... But it's supposed to be water resistant, finally catching up with Samsung (although I hear the water resistant Samsungs have issues with overheating or exploding...)!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Apparently the new 7 has no headphone jack and a better camera. The headphone jack thing, isn't entirely true though. You can buy their Wi-Fi tongle and use their wireless earphones......and an additional cost of around 200 bones. Isn't that special....

It doesn't require an additional accessory to use wireless headphones. You can use Bluetooh headphones or their new (and forthcoming third-party) headphones using Apple's new W1 wireless chip. If you prefer wired headphones, you can either use new Lightning-equipped models or use the Lightning-to-3.5 mm adapter that comes free with the device (or $9 for each additional part).

Good to know it actually comes with an adapter, that is a big deal.

In theory, this should make it easier to use your iPhone as a digital source. Hopefully they will produce an affordable (cough, cough) lighting to digital toslink adapter...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • halo
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Personally, If I were going to upgrade to the iPhone 7, I'd use the included lightning adapter with my corded headphones. I think the technology is too new for anything to replace the sound quality of my favorite IEMs, especially with apple asking $160 for their wireless ear buds. Of course, YMMV.

I was mistaken about the jet black color being available with only 256GN add it's also available with 128GB.

I always use a case with my phone so I don't need a jet black back color. The front of the phone will look the same with the black color.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Youse guyses would chortle if you saw my cell phone. No vacuum tubes, though, and it's not one of the kinds that we carried around in its own little bag, with a fold-out "rubber duckie" antenna... but it's close.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Hows about the ability to charge your phone while listening to headphones.... oh wait.... you cant....

My next phone will be Android. The inability to use regular headphones while charging was a dealbreaker. While my 6 Plus lasts, I'm with apple. After that they are done.

Their constant ability to screw with previous accessories to force you to buy more (IE consumerism) has lost them my business.

Its bad enough my car requires a 30 pin 12v to 30pin 5v adapter then another 30 pin to lightning bolt adapter.

I'm TIRE OF ADAPTERS!

Hopefully the Android market keeps that jack, otherwise heck I may just go back to a flip phone and then a nice tablet I upgrade every couple years
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    Options
    I'm going with the 6S Plus.

I'll go to the apple store tomorrow.

The apple website shows only 2 options: 32GB or 128GB. I want a 64GB so I'll see if that's still available. I do not want 128GB. That's to close in price to the 7. I'm not interested in a 3.5mm to lightning adapter either. If I have to wait for the 32GN 6 Plus, I'll do it but I'm not going to be very happy about it...lol.

The backup phone I'm using now is a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is infuriating compared to the iPhone 6 that I had before it was stolen. I'll ride out the the 6 Plus as long as possible but I highly doubt I'll be going back to an Android phone after similar issues on the S4, S5, & Note II that I owned. Like an old PC, they all bogged down and got very glitchy over time. I didn't have that experience with the iPhone.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited September 2016
    Options
    FWIW :) It seems to me that, at its core (heh, see what I did there?), Apple's philosophy is very similar to Henry Ford's.

In the very early days of the automobile, Ford built cars pretty much like everyone else did (handmade, different colors and details available). Ford revolutionized auto manufacturing by automating and standardizing, and slashing costs and retail prices -- and basically eliminated consumer choice. And folks bought 'em (the Model "T" Ford, that is) in droves for nearly two decades.

For most of its history (except the very beginning and very end), the Model T was available in one color - black.

Ford famously said that the consumer:
    ... can have any color he [or she!] wants, as long as it's black

Apple's philosophy is slightly more subtle, but only slightly (IMO): It's their way... or the highway.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Took some of you guys long enough to open your eyes. >:)

Android-Borg-260x300.jpg

come_to_the_android_side_by_hamzaka-d5r3h21.jpg

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Took some of you guys long enough to open your eyes. >:)

Android-Borg-260x300.jpg

come_to_the_android_side_by_hamzaka-d5r3h21.jpg

Been there, done that. It's not for me. Obviously, you have a different view & that's totally cool man.
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I hear with our exchange rate here in Canada, iPhone 7 will be close to 9 bones
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    gurot1 wrote: »
    I hear with our exchange rate here in Canada, iPhone 7 will be close to 9 bones

900 for the 32 and almost 1200 for the 256! LOL!!! I could buy a pretty nice computer for that.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    Options
    Right now the SE is $500 for 64GB, and the 6S is $750 for 64GB. The SE has a 4" screen, and the 6S has a 4.7" screen. I think the 6S also has the fingerprint unlock method. I can't see spending the extra $250 for those two differences.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    The 6se has the touch print function. Even my 5S (which I am very happy with) has that. Next summer I will probably spring for an se. I am contract fire on cricket, which I am also very happy with. Bought my 5s on fleabay...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Investors were not impressed, Apple stock fell 3% today. They were hoping for more from this phone. Apple has been steadily losing smart phone market share. $200 for their wireless ear buds? Really?
    Carl