This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    My new linear tracking Yamaha PX-3 has been working flawlessly, love this thing!

kUHjYFj.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2016
    I bought my parents a pair of them in the late 1970s (used); they served my folks well for the rest of their lives and I kept them after my parents were both gone -- and I still have them (the Dynacos, that is -- I not goin' all Norman Bates on you all!).
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2016
    A25s? Yep! Have a pair. Pretty ratty looking but drivers are mint! I run mine with an HK 430, a superb combo. Probably even better with good tubes.

They may not be great speakers in the classic sense as Mr. M points out (and he should know, because he knows that he knows-ridiculously redundant, no?), but you can listen to these all day every day. And that, to me, is the most important thing! I find myself NOT listening to my BEST speakers most of the time but opting for the more laid back warmth of certain classics like this. But my ears are probably full of olive oil and yours may not be! lol And what do I know anyway, I'm mostly superfluous!

I think you'll find them to your taste, Randy. Although, from a lot of your posts, you seem to like the really Big Bad cabinets with room filling sound and thunderous bass.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    12980008165_d42bcedc8f_b.jpgP1020753 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

He's really gonna need a pair of Altec Valencias... or bigger.

Even a pair of (gasp) Klipsch Cornwalls are pretty darned enjoyable driven by a Fisher vacuum tube receiver.

15414336868_4c36deb6de_b.jpgRcornieoly by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(my Valencias & Cornies are long gone, though)

I was a little hard on the A25s earlier, and I'm sorry about that -- I have always liked them and (as mentioned) I do have a pair (mine are in need of cosmetic refreshent, too). Heck, I have a pair of A35s, as well -- but they sorta don't count, since I found 'em at the dump in Harvard, MA. They're very nice loudspeakers, but more in the "Polk Monitor 7" neck of the woods... probably not most folks' be-all and end-all loudspeakers.

14605877941_1a0f03f24d_b.jpgDSC_9644 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Dynaco A-35.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I've been pondering a 9849 that is local.
    Anyone hear 1 or 2 of these?
    whl3uni200f7.jpeg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    cnh wrote: »
    A25s? Yep! Have a pair. Pretty ratty looking but drivers are mint! I run mine with an HK 430, a superb combo. Probably even better with good tubes.

They may not be great speakers in the classic sense as Mr. M points out (and he should know, because he knows that he knows-ridiculously redundant, no?), but you can listen to these all day every day. And that, to me, is the most important thing! I find myself NOT listening to my BEST speakers most of the time but opting for the more laid back warmth of certain classics like this. But my ears are probably full of olive oil and yours may not be! lol And what do I know anyway, I'm mostly superfluous!

I think you'll find them to your taste, Randy. Although, from a lot of your posts, you seem to like the really Big Bad cabinets with room filling sound and thunderous bass.
    listened to them today on the cr1000 & they sound vvgood. Was impressed with the bass. The tweeters sounded wonderful. Very Impressed with the size & what these little guys can do. Mark i love the looks of the A-35's with the front grills how they taper back
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited August 2016
    Gorgeous speakers. Is that a Sansui ? Love the vinyl shelf. How did you come about getting that shelf if you dont mind sharing ?
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450 wrote: »
    Gorgeous speakers. Is that a Sansui ? Love the vinyl shelf. How did you come about getting that shelf if you dont mind sharing ?

Thanks, yes it is a Sansui AU-717 that has had a complete recap and I love it. The shelf is an Ikea Expedit that I just turned on its side, works great for my music room.
  • mhardy6647
    AU-717 is a very nice piece of hardware.
    Wouldn't mind havin' one here.
    Just sayin'.

;-)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You and me both Mark, shall we pay him a midnight visit ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    edited August 2016
    [/quote]

Thanks, yes it is a Sansui AU-717 that has had a complete recap and I love it. The shelf is an Ikea Expedit that I just turned on its side, works great for my music room.[/quote]
    Thank you. Im looking to get new shelves for my albums & they seem to be affordable :)
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb wrote: »
    You and me both Mark, shall we pay him a midnight visit ? :)

LOL thanks guys, there is just something about the vintage sound for me. I have 3 Marantz receivers which I love but the Sansui is in my main system. I will admit it will be here until I decide to go with a vintage Mac, would like a MA 6100 or MA 6200. Also on my audio bucket list is a pair of Ohm speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    You know, any of youse guyses with dynamically-balanced tonearms have a golden opportunity to eff with unsuspecting buddies' minds...

28358666643_1a20c2b318_b.jpgDual 1019 p3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

28700000410_174647ac5e_z.jpginverted tt by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    the au-717 is the next vintage piece I'm going to own.
    Just waiting for the right one to show up.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    My little Marantz 2226 Goodwill find for $16. I had to replace the backlights and the tuner dial needle light, but found a nice fuse-lamp kit for the job. There was soldering involved for the needle dial light, and the 'stereo' light. I think the best solder joint is the one that works. I polished everything in sight as well, and used some tire dressing for the black vinyl coating on the cover (not visible in pic). This amp has a nice sweet, warm sound to it. It has been called 'tubey' in some comments I have seen, and I can't disagree with that statement.
    htrmbqyh0wcg.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • [Deleted User]
    I liked the looks of the cube shelf that I bought one in Red!
    Thanks for sharing. (last I knew rollback pricing)
    zappafan2 wrote: »
    773d91d5f4ju.jpg
    My new Infinity RS5s

• I liked the looks of the cube shelf that I bought one in Red!
    Thanks for sharing. (last I knew rollback pricing)
    773d91d5f4ju.jpg
    My new Infinity RS5s

They are great , very sturdy and functional, perfect for my needs.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nice rig Mark.
    773d91d5f4ju.jpg
    My new Infinity RS5s

nice rig Mark
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    New arrival.y8p5tc6yq7uc.jpg
    4yc7xs8riqhb.jpg

Dynaco st70!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Awesome. I used to have one of those. I drove it with an Advent receiver pre-outs.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Nice rig Mark.
    773d91d5f4ju.jpg
    My new Infinity RS5s

nice rig Mark

Thanks Ivan, hope all is going good.
  • highway_chile
    highway_chile Posts: 37
    edited August 2016
    I just began the break-in period after having my Luxman C-1010 completely recapped (currently coupled with a Luxman M-300). The tech used to do Luxman warranty work and has done several other things for me, including a partial recap of the Luxman C-120A that I just moved into my second listening room in order to put the C-1010 back in place. That one had issues when I bought it, but he certainly had it sounding fabulous.
    The 1010 was sounding good before, but at higher volumes tended to be a bit harsh and fatiguing, so I decided to take the plunge and have it totally restored.
    For those more technically savvy than I, he used Nichicon Fine Golds, Nichichon Silmic II's, various Rubycons, and a couple of Panasonics.
    I'd love to hear how long everyone thinks the break in period will take. He said 20-30 hours.
    Right now I'm about an hour and a half in. It seems to be warming up before my very ears. I guess I have no choice but to sit here and break it in as quickly as is humanly possible.
    Power Amps: Luxman M-02, Luxman M-2000, Luxman M-300
    Preamps: Luxman CX-100, Luxman C-1010, Luxman C-120A
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA-2B's (no mods...yet), Klipsch KG4's (Crites Crossovers and Titanium Tweeters), Genesis 1's
    Digital Front End: Marantz CD6005, Denon DVD-2200, Fiio X5 II
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS180, Sennheiser HDR170 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (home). Sennheiser HD449 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (portable)
    EQ: SAE 180 Parametric
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Here's something you don't see at the Goodwill very often. A mile from my house. I did not buy it. A 1950 Dumont console TV. It looked to be in good condition.
    dgctfn3eeqrv.jpg
    g786b2k2oe6y.jpg
    ck4zqosqyx0d.jpg
    xccuvrfpc95w.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    seriously cool piece of hardware -- with an FM radio, to boot.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    edited August 2016
    I am not old enough to remember this stuff but I always laugh when I see the giant "SOLID STATE!" advert's. Shows how the latest scientific innovations are not always steps forward imo.
    My grandfather was an senior engineer at NASA for all the glory years and I remember him talking about solid state like it was a huge improvement. And I guess it is in terms of real estate (which was NASA's big concern) and weight it has benefits. But I dont care what the numbers/specs say....trust a musician to tell you which one sounds more lifelike. It'll be tubes most of the time.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • tat
    edited August 2016
    Console TV above reminds me that the first stereo I experienced was probably same grandparents' Magnavox fully enclosed piece of furniture/console unit lol. I guess the cabinet sold the unit to most folks! I remember a TV the same design, elaborate walnut enclosure. Either that or the slightly later model one they gave my parents. Its the dawn of solid state era so its pretty horrible sound. CTS speakers or similar inside it.

The 1st stereo I owned was a bookshelf Fisher. I was ambitious enough to start designing speaker cabs to fit my room in high school lol! I then saved up and bought a Yamaha int. 110wpc and Polk SDA CRS+ which was a big improvement.

Sure wish my grandfather had been an audiophile, he kept his stuff in MINT condition for decades like a good Depression era man. Still had his High School combination lock (working fine) on the day he died. Pre-dispoable culture (which solid-state has alot to do with I might add). He played organ well and was a NASA EEG but his only true love was my grandmother :)
  • mhardy6647
    I've been pondering a 9849 that is local.
    Anyone hear 1 or 2 of these?
    whl3uni200f7.jpeg

Unfortunately, no -- probably a commercial sound reinforcement/MI model -- probably not bad though. Kind of configured like an Altec Fourteen.

Here's what Lansing Heritage has:

page01.jpg
    page02.jpg

I don't know what drivers or HF horn this monitor has :(

But, heck, if it/they were cheap, it/they would be comin' home with me ;)

• [Deleted User]
    Thanks mRhardy. It's still out there but a single only...
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    That looks like one of the greenback Altecs to me, 1960's era; I forget the model # (see link 416A's maybe?). I only need the full-range models so I mix up the woofers. I dont think the compression horns are preferred for home hi-fi, perhaps imaging is a major reason, but dont have experience using them in the home. There have been some classic hi-fi speakers that use them on the other hand.

** http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Altec-Lansing-416a-416-Woofer-8ohm-Recone-Model-19-Onken-15-Speaker-A7-A5/142099969279?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=38828&meid=94735ddceebc40fc8a6f8eff89ec5d80&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=121987453341