This joint needs some more vintage hifi

1424345474859

Comments

  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,634
    JBL J216 Monitor's.. Not a bad sounding cheap speaker in their day. Going to my brothers set up drbdal10hofy.jpeg
    ...
    ...
    Randy / Maine .... SDA-CRS+TL & RTA15TL
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited October 2016
    boston1450 wrote: »
    JBL J216 Monitor's.. Not a bad sounding cheap speaker in their day. Going to my brothers set up drbdal10hofy.jpeg

    I've never seen a JBL that looks like that! Has such drivers? Seems like it's a home version of the JBL 216 Pro (different woofer and I believe tweeter as well). Some of those home versions were OK. The most infamous being the JBL L/t series. I own a set of JBL L80ts that are permanently on tubes, home versions of the STUDIO 4410 or 4410a? You'd be surprised how good these sound on a tube integrated. I know JBL doesn't get a lot of love around here, and frankly, they have produced a lot of consumer garbage in their day, but not all of it.

    I took some old JBL bookies and replaced the dead Titanium drivers with some soft dome Vifas from PExpress, gave them to my daughter for her dorm along with a cheap Sherwood receiver to power them. And now all her classmates can say is "where did you get THOSE speakers!" Even I am surprised by how much they sound like AJs Pioneers-not exactly, but very nice warm detailed highs and good low end for a two way 5". Of course they probably retailed for more than a couple of hundred back in the late '80s, early '90s?

    I think your brother will have fun with those, Randy!

    We now return you to our regularly scheduled and far less prolix programming! Everyone breathes a sigh of relief as cnh exits the building! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

    Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,645
    That's why we love you, C.
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,634
    cnh wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »
    JBL J216 Monitor's.. Not a bad sounding cheap speaker in their day. Going to my brothers set up drbdal10hofy.jpeg

    I've never seen a JBL that looks like that! Has such drivers? Seems like it's a home version of the JBL 216 Pro (different woofer and I believe tweeter as well). Some of those home versions were OK. The most infamous being the JBL L/t series. I own a set of JBL L80ts that are permanently on tubes, home versions of the STUDIO 4410 or 4410a? You'd be surprised how good these sound on a tube integrated. I know JBL doesn't get a lot of love around here, and frankly, they have produced a lot of consumer garbage in their day, but not all of it.

    I took some old JBL bookies and replaced the dead Titanium drivers with some soft dome Vifas from PExpress, gave them to my daughter for her dorm along with a cheap Sherwood receiver to power them. And now all her classmates can say is "where did you get THOSE speakers!" Even I am surprised by how much they sound like AJs Pioneers-not exactly, but very nice warm detailed highs and good low end for a two way 5". Of course they probably retailed for more than a couple of hundred back in the late '80s, early '90s?

    I think your brother will have fun with those, Randy!

    We now return you to our regularly scheduled and far less prolix programming! Everyone breathes a sigh of relief as cnh exits the building! lol
    Great that your daughter is enjoying them Cnh. You can do alot to some speakers & make them sound great for a few modifications that dont break the wallet. I come across alot of weird items from storage units & i get my fair share of listening to a variety of vintage audio. I have set up all 3 kiddos & all my neices & nephews & bros & sisters. It brings me happiness to make audio more enjoyable to them & when i visit i get to see & hear it again :)
    ...
    ...
    Randy / Maine .... SDA-CRS+TL & RTA15TL
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 4,227
    Hey Randy, can you add me to that list. When you visit you can listen as well.

    But on a serious note, that sounds like a very nice gesture you do for your family members. It is quite evident that the joy you bestow is returned in spades. You get a pat on the back for a job well done.
  • build your own mobile high fi circa 1934!
    Here is the hand typed, hand drawn brochure with testimonials in the back.
    2bj0vty5zco7.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    edited October 2016
    p8ukda1klviy.jpg
    Remote control for dash^^
    kuiv1qsnbd7a.jpg
    .com/editor/1s/c2kl61njbvl3.jpg[/img]
  • 6uyldueg95es.jpg
    ^^^ speaker
    Says here, you can cut hole in the floor to get the amp out of the way!
    Don't know what to do w/ this Illinois artifact...
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,387
    Side system I've put together from gear in my dad's garage. Check it out...dual Duals! Top one is a 1228, bottom one is a 1215S. That's a Rotel RX-602 receiver; it has two phono inputs, so I just had to try playing two-at-once and toggle 1&2. Realistic Optimus T-100 floorstanders with JBL 2500 bookies on top. The tweeters in the Realistics aren't that great, but the little JBLs fill-out the top end nicely. I'm going to sell this to a long-time friend at work...but with only one of the turntables.
    bvmx4tgccigo.jpg

    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    Ok, how about these either late '60s of early '70 Rectilinear Low Boy3s.These I got off c/l for $50 and were/are in pristine condition has you will seea1sqjbzxkfbw.jpg
    zp05n9bnkh2l.jpg
    8qv90q7b1w7l.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

    H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

    Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • 6uyldueg95es.jpg
    ^^^ speaker
    Says here, you can cut hole in the floor to get the amp out of the way!
    Don't know what to do w/ this Illinois artifact...

    Thats cool. Any chance I could get copies?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    Ok, how about these either late '60s of early '70 Rectilinear Low Boy3s.These I got off c/l for $50 and were/are in pristine condition has you will seea1sqjbzxkfbw.jpg
    zp05n9bnkh2l.jpg
    8qv90q7b1w7l.jpg

    You didn't happen to get those from a fellow named "Donnie", did you? I only asked because of your locale and someone I know in your general neck of the woods :)
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    No Doc, this guy was named Keith and is a pro drummer and leads the marching H.S. band. This way out in Hunterdon County off interstate78. His basement was full of very,very nice eye candy. A really big Krell,a tube amp, a 12 watt tube amp for the LBs w/ no pre/amp and like Jesse says it was not needed. A pair of absolutely beautiful Klipsch Cornwalls, The Recs which I got, Klipsch KG 3s and a whole lot more. He gave me permission to take pics of his gear so I hope it comes out it was very impressive. Notice the stands which were holding the Low Boys. I really wanted them but he said he needed them for the Klipsch. d4g82klbk4kh.jpg
    suupjhw3xj2a.jpg
    sx6878agiak0.jpg
    liebll96zex5.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

    H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

    Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    FYI -- I am poised to putter, again, upstairs.

    30302966376_8b0935acdb_b.jpgDSC_6253 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

    30263283421_f58434f663_b.jpgJBL N600 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

    Wait, what?! JBL?!?!

    ;)
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,059
    My new toy. A recapped Sansui au-717. The front face is just about perfect.
    There are a few scuffs on the top of the case. I'm going to strip and repaint.
    Sound great with no noisey controls. I'll be changing out speaker A clips
    for modern posts. I'll have to retrieve my speakers from my son's house
    in Texas during the Thanksgiving break.
    h18h4amnplmw.jpg
    d9845jbmdkf5.jpg

    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 4,227
    And you got the box as well, nice.

    I bought a 517 about a month ago, but I see a 717 in my future.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    edited October 2016
    Good for you!

    The AU-717 is a nice amplifier: aesthetically, structurally, and sonically. They're not rare (even though they were 'spensive)... but I'm still waiting for one to cross my path.


    10996918515_3ce1f6bbf7_b.jpgscan0004a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    10996917975_e68bebf881_b.jpgscan0005a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • jdjohn wrote: »
    Side system I've put together from gear in my dad's garage. Check it out...dual Duals! Top one is a 1228, bottom one is a 1215S. That's a Rotel RX-602 receiver; it has two phono inputs, so I just had to try playing two-at-once and toggle 1&2. Realistic Optimus T-100 floorstanders with JBL 2500 bookies on top. The tweeters in the Realistics aren't that great, but the little JBLs fill-out the top end nicely. I'm going to sell this to a long-time friend at work...but with only one of the turntables.
    bvmx4tgccigo.jpg

    Put a set of silk domes in those T-100's and a decent cap (there is no crossover) and wait for the smile to come !

  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 771
    I'll play.
    Had this since I was a puppy. Still works a treat.

    9t63alh2kjxk.jpg

  • soundfreak1soundfreak1 Posts: 2,866
    edited November 2016
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Good for you!

    The AU-717 is a nice amplifier: aesthetically, structurally, and sonically. They're not rare (even though they were 'spensive)... but I'm still waiting for one to cross my path.


    10996918515_3ce1f6bbf7_b.jpgscan0004a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    10996917975_e68bebf881_b.jpgscan0005a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

    A friend of mine (so. of Atlanta ) has one for sale! Just saying. Pm me if you would like his info.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    Kenwood amps from that era put out a nice sound.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    That Kenwood series was highly regarded in some circles. Cannot ever recall seeing/hearing one in the flesh, though. None of the hifi stores I dealt with in those days sold Kenwood.
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,059
    The Kenwood sound is pretty neutral. Normally vintage guys
    won't pay as much for Kenwood as other brands. The big guns
    are the exception. That's 120WPC and up. I can't say I ever saw one of those.
    At that price he might have a tough time selling it.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • I never saw a Kenwood that looked that good .It has those MC type meters that draw you in. 200w a side is in competition w/ my $300 Adcom. This thing is way better looking than the Phase Linear 700 and I know what you dudes think of them.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

    H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

    Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    edited December 2016
    Power meters on hifi amplifiers are sort of like flames painted on the sides of passenger cars.

    Just sayin', you know?

    ;)
  • ^Nope^

    Power meters on hifi amplifiers are sort of like flames embroidered on the sides of a woman's tightly knit sweater.

    Oh my God, I hope I didn't type that out loud.....
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • And I love me some power meters...
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • Power meters are a melon juggling contest.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,392
    edited December 2016
    ^Nope^

    Power meters on hifi amplifiers are sort of like flames embroidered on the sides of a woman's tightly knit sweater.

    Oh my God, I hope I didn't type that out loud.....

    OK, I can live with that similie.

    :)

    (or maybe on her stockings?)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!