How to blend in multiple subs? Multiple room eq?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    WLD I think you may be right. A 4 stack would be good.

Thoughts on JL Audio F113 x4 or F212 x2 or 2 Gothams?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2016
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Sonus-Faber2.jpg
    Another picture with SF Stradivari and REL G1 sixpack.
    That's $24K in subs! or $9600 for the SVS Ultras.

Attending the show in Chi is the closest I will get to that type of gear but....if I had your money and was a picky as you are, I would have something custom made to match the Strads. I would first grab four of the 15" Rhythmik Servo custom installation kits. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html

Then have a cabinet maker build four curved enclosures that have Rel R1, JL Audio Gotham, etc type of shape....or a shape similar to the Rockports....or at least use its shape for inspiration.

RockportAviorWeb.jpg

file.php?n=11149
    525x525px-LL-17b5ae58_vbattach248025.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    P1000331.jpg

Then, do a Piano black finish to match the Rockports and you will have something that none of your buds have!
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Geez...

Crazy

WLD - I see Gothams can be daisy chained. Thoughts? Single auto EQ coming off one sub... Should be an easy install no?

Also looking at the velodyne dd+... It has servo... Any good?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Conventional wisdom in the sub world is that you pay more for similar performance when going store brands vs Internet direct. I would be shocked if velodyne did anything better than threw rhythmik equivalent.
  • WLDock
    edited July 2016
    Geez...
    Crazy
    WLD - I see Gothams can be daisy chained. Thoughts? Single auto EQ coming off one sub... Should be an easy install no?
    Been a JL Audio fan dating back to the 90's car audio days. When the W7 first came out it was one of the lowest distortion measuring subs in history. No suprise they now offer one of the most supreme home sub systems in the world. Twin Gothams at $30K is just crazy to even talk about....JUST CRAZY JOEY!!! :o I've yet to hear them but I aready know they are mind blowing. Still, I just could not do it...even if I had the means. I would do six of the 15" Rhythmik E15's in Gloss Black and the MiniDSP Dirac live unit...all for about $8800.

Or even do the Seaton Sound Submersives...two masters and two slave units.
    http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/product-listing-availability-status-and-pricing-3366417
    http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/finish-options-a-collection-of-photos-4292198

Mark Seaton was a part of a massive and crazy expen$ive Rockport Arrakis build....they used three Submersives!

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7501-Seaton-Submersives-amp-Rockport-Arrakis-amp-Mira-Grands
    ***Great read on page three. He has the curves of all three subs. The rear location was much better then the front two. he shows the correction, and the final graph. Great info about how placement in the room can make a dramatic difference and DSP is a must to really dial things in. ***

attachment.php?attachmentid=4696&d=1344113794

The DD+ is legendary...can't go wrong there...they are just pricey. Would do several Servo Rhymiks over a single or dual for the money.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Would have to pounce on a good deal WLD...

The SVS SB13U can be had for about $1400 out the door with tax.

The Gothams and Fathoms, I would have to contact my guy in Florida to see what he can do, it would have to be freighted to me.

I need an elevator in the new house if I don't get a first floor media room.

• Joey_V

re Mark Seaton, I've met him for dinner once... he's a nice guy.
  • WLDock
    edited July 2016
    The Gothams and Fathoms, I would have to contact my guy in Florida to see what he can do, it would have to be freighted to me.
    $5600 for four SVS. However, two of the dual 12" Fathom F212 units would be kick **** as well.

Here's one for $3550: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-jl-audio-fathom-212-gloss-subwoofer-2016-07-12-home-theater-60610-chicago-il

a couple in the $4300 range: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Fathom&_osacat=14990&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Fathom+F212&_sacat=14990

But no one wants to ship these things. A pallet would be the only way...14.92 in x 31.96 in x 20.39 in - 224 lb each!!! Yeah, you could use a freight elevator!

Another sub that seems very nice and looks very high end is the MartinLogan BalancedForce dual opposed products. They even offer the Perfect Bass room correction kit. However, the pricing is a bit steep....$3995 for the 12" model. https://www.martinlogan.com/balancedforce/index.php

https://youtu.be/7BjAsK2xqjY

Post edited by WLDock on
  • Joey_V
    WLDock wrote: »
    $5600 for four SVS. However, two of the dual 12" Fathom F212 units would be kick **** as well.

Here's one for $3550: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-jl-audio-fathom-212-gloss-subwoofer-2016-07-12-home-theater-60610-chicago-il

a couple in the $4300 range: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Fathom&_osacat=14990&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Fathom+F212&_sacat=14990

But no one wants to ship these things. A pallet would be the only way...14.92 in x 31.96 in x 20.39 in - 224 lb each!!! Yeah, you could use a freight elevator!

Another sub that seems very nice and looks very high end is the MartinLogan BalancedForce dual opposed products. They even offer the Perfect Bass room correction kit. However, the pricing is a bit steep....$3995 for the 12" model. https://www.martinlogan.com/balancedforce/index.php

https://youtu.be/7BjAsK2xqjY

The only problem I have with those dual subwoofers like the Gotham or F212 is the size.. it's truly a pain to lift 200+lb items upstairs... I am seriously needing a first floor media/stereo room in the future or an elevator because this is ridiculous.

I do like the 4 SVS SB13U, especially if I can room correct them.

Otherwise, F113 would be a solid choice x4.

A Couple Velodyne DD18+ would be great choice too.

I am not really afraid of shipping, I have contacts who ship Rockports and Wilsons, Adcom Freight, easy to ship. Call them once, they pick up the pallet.... I swear it is easier than shipping fedex and I don't get the PFB issue.
  • Joey_V
    Of note, problem with ML BF is the size... it's seriously the size of a table.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2016
    error
  • Joey_V
    Geez...
    Crazy
    Been a JL Audio fan dating back to the 90's car audio days. When the W7 first came out it was one of the lowest distortion measuring subs in history. No suprise they now offer one of the most supreme home sub systems in the world. Twin Gothams at $30K is just crazy to even talk about....JUST CRAZY JOEY!!! :o I've yet to hear them but I aready know they are mind blowing. Still, I just could not do it...even if I had the means. I would do six of the 15" Rhythmik E15's in Gloss Black and the MiniDSP Dirac live unit...all for about $8800.

Or even do the Seaton Sound Submersives...two masters and two slave units.
    http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/product-listing-availability-status-and-pricing-3366417
    http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/finish-options-a-collection-of-photos-4292198

Mark Seaton was a part of a massive and crazy expen$ive Rockport Arrakis build....they used three Submersives!

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7501-Seaton-Submersives-amp-Rockport-Arrakis-amp-Mira-Grands
    ***Great read on page three. He has the curves of all three subs. The rear location was much better then the front two. he shows the correction, and the final graph. Great info about how placement in the room can make a dramatic difference and DSP is a must to really dial things in. ***

attachment.php?attachmentid=4696&d=1344113794

The DD+ is legendary...can't go wrong there...they are just pricey. Would do several Servo Rhymiks over a single or dual for the money.

That picture is just crazy. The amount of work that goes into that system is just nuts, both in the logistical sense and financial sense. Props go to that guy for sure. Next level.
  • WLDock
    SVS, JL Audio, Velo DD all great choices....and in multiples? I'm sure two of any of those would do it for music. However, four stacked would ROCK the you know what out of even a 20'x25' room for music! A coupling gain as high as 6 dB is possible under the best conditions. You might become a fan of organ music?

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/deepest-bass-ever#xWua3ytR2hzTSEeX.97
    Camille Saint-Saëns’ Symphony No. 3,

I love to play the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor from time to time at levels that shake the walls...LOL!
  • Joey_V
    Yeah I've been reading lots of reviews on the SVS SB13U, it is a mighty sub. That dsp system is very tweakable. Not even sure I need full room correction, but still might.

That internal room correction with the JL Fathoms just might take the cake.

Rels G1 has a speaker level input that just makes it respond faster than either JL or SVS...

So many choices.

But I agree, I want multiples... A wall of bass.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited July 2016
    Joey,
    What are your room dimensions? What is the cubic feet? This really needs to be considered. It's not all about what you can cram in the room.

Your thread name is "How to blend in multiple subs? Multiple room eq?"???? Keep this in mind. It is about the blending.

I really never considered subs in 2 channel until the Wilson demo at RMAF will the Alexandria's and the Thors. The presentation was really good.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    is this for your 2 channel system?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    For my small living room 2 channel setup a little 8" non-ported sub works fine and most of the time it isn't turned on and it works better then the 12" SVS I use for HT.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Joey_V
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Joey,
    What are your room dimensions? What is the cubic feet? This really needs to be considered. It's not all about what you can cram in the room.

Your thread name is "How to blend in multiple subs? Multiple room eq?"???? Keep this in mind. It is about the blending.

I really never considered subs in 2 channel until the Wilson demo at RMAF will the Alexandria's and the Thors. The presentation was really good.

Exactly... a sub can work in a 2ch setting.

The room right now would only need the subs on at the lowest possible setting if I go multiple.

The room of the future will be big. 25x20 or 30x25 dedicated, probably 10 foot ceilings. Likely main floor, or I will need an elevator if in the 2nd. This stuff is getting heavy.

40856d1434794154-wilson-thor-hammer-image-3681657292.jpg
  • Joey_V
    brianle wrote: »
    brianle wrote: »

Yeah, but if I have too many subs in the room, I can always branch out. Probably need a single SB13U in the family room. Or 2.
  • Joey_V
    The more I think about it, the more I kinda want that Gotham @WLDock ...

2 of them flanking the speakers, one can be slaved to the other. Both have calibrated mics. Easy set up.

Only thing hard is the lifting lol
  • Joey_V
    voltz wrote: »
    For my small living room 2 channel setup a little 8" non-ported sub works fine and most of the time it isn't turned on and it works better then the 12" SVS I use for HT.

Is the SVS ported?

I'd assume the sealed is quicker and better for music.
  • WLDock
    edited July 2016
    Joey, I wish I can tell you to your face....MAN, YOUR CRAZY! I love it because its not my money (Don't have any anyway!) If you get the Gothams, please invite me into your home once built for a listen. Just have the builders crane the crates (Gothams, Rockports, Boulders, etc) up the the second floor before they but the walls in and hire a security guard until the build is enclosed...LOL! :D
    I don't know when/If I will make it back down that way. I missed a flight to Belize last year and had to stay a night in Houston...thats one of the few times I've been in TX for flights layover, transfers, etc.

Look, there's a couple of used ones on ebay for about the cost of a single new one. The used 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS w/Touring package, black leather, moonroof, navigation, etc was less money...LOL!:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=14990&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Gotham&_sacat=14990

Speaking of TEXAS...WHO LIVES IN AUSTIN? Joey, txcoastal1, Skip, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

There's an amp on CL that I'm looking at. Anyone willing to do the legwork, pack and ship?

Sorry to derail Joey.... :)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Not mua, Galveston County here
    Skip, Halen, and Joey are Dallas area
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    Looks like the guy might be willing to ship so I might be OK.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2016
    Ha... we will have to see how next year goes and if the wife lets me. At the very least, I would want 2 or 4 SVS SB13U.. depending on how it sounds in my friend's place.. he is placing an order for 2 SB13U as of right now and I will get to demo it. We have similar speakers.

He actually has a better preamp. And he has a bigger room.

Emm Dac2x/TSDX transport into Audio Research 5SE preamp.

The house needs an elevator or a first floor media... it is way too difficult to keep hiring piano movers to move these things. It's a pain in the butt... first I gotta find a piano mover willing to move a non-piano item, then I have to find one who also can insure the product being moved.. it's not easy. And it was near impossible for them to move the Rockports in the crates.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Funk Audio. They are in another league compared to JL in my opinion. Ditched my F112 for a Funk and never looked back. Plus, plenty of choices for finish.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    98Badger wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Funk Audio. They are in another league compared to JL in my opinion. Ditched my F112 for a Funk and never looked back. Plus, plenty of choices for finish.

We don't often discuss subwoofers of this caliber on this forum, given that only rarely do subwoofers come up, and SVS seems to be the brand du jour here.

I agree with you that Funk Audio looks very worthy of consideration, though Joey may prefer the known quantities of SVS and JL Audio, which are certainly more established entities.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Joey loves Canadian brands :sunglasses: funk audio is a brand that needs to be brought up more. Great subs and even better finishes.

Svs is brought up so often here because it is a proven brand, tested, tried, and true. Plain and simple. For a polk site, there is a lot of non polk brands in discussion.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Joey, I wish I can tell you to your face....MAN, YOUR CRAZY! I love it because its not my money (Don't have any anyway!) If you get the Gothams, please invite me into your home once built for a listen. Just have the builders crane the crates (Gothams, Rockports, Boulders, etc) up the the second floor before they but the walls in and hire a security guard until the build is enclosed...LOL! :D
    I don't know when/If I will make it back down that way. I missed a flight to Belize last year and had to stay a night in Houston...thats one of the few times I've been in TX for flights layover, transfers, etc.

Look, there's a couple of used ones on ebay for about the cost of a single new one. The used 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS w/Touring package, black leather, moonroof, navigation, etc was less money...LOL!:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=14990&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Gotham&_sacat=14990

Speaking of TEXAS...WHO LIVES IN AUSTIN? Joey, txcoastal1, Skip, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

There's an amp on CL that I'm looking at. Anyone willing to do the legwork, pack and ship?

I live pretty close to Austin. Close enough that I just spent 16 hours driving around and fixing air conditioners.

I can help you out.

• Joey_V
    rpf65 wrote: »

I live pretty close to Austin. Close enough that I just spent 16 hours driving around and fixing air conditioners.

I can help you out.

WLD - are you buying the Gotham??

Do eet!!