George Grand

Comments

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2016
    This is a very sad time for this forum. George was truly one of a kind. When God made George... well... I think the mold was already broken!

Of course I bought records from him. Tons. Donated several to him to sell to go towards Githens. Some of you may remember the fiasco with the moron who got himself banned from the forum during the group buy for the Dreadnaught transformers, where the guy was coming at me for just wanting to help out because I got the air miles for the group buy on my credit card. Well, George went and told the guy to go e f f himself after he got a check from me for the cash value of the air miles made payable to Githens. If George had the opportunity to stand up for one of his buddies, he'd sure take it. My kinda guy.

We got to be good friends over the years, we were both originally from Brooklyn, and Brooklyn people always have plenty to talk about. I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with him, this was a great day:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150607/thank-you-neil

Gonna miss talking baseball with you, buddy. And Jackie was out. There, I got the last word in.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Met him at a Polkfest. Class act, true gentleman. Just another NYC schoolyard rat. RIP George
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Never had the honor of meeting Mr. Grand, but it was obvious he was an honorable man. An absolute master of the 3 word post.
    Sal Palooza
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I only know Mr Grand from his posts on this forum, and this post. On more than one occasion, his comments made me spit beer, because I had to laugh.

Reading the comments many of you have posted, I've come to believe that he was also a true gentleman. I haven't met very many people that I would place in that catagory. Always believe it's a d$$n shame when the world loses a true gentleman.

May you find peace Mr. Grand.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    I only knew George through his posts here but you couldn't help but like the guy. Wish I could have met him. Rest in peace George Grand of the Jersey Grands. Prayers for you and your family.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Stew wrote: »
    I only knew George through his posts here but you couldn't help but like the guy. Wish I could have met him. Rest in peace George Grand of the Jersey Grands. Prayers for you and your family.

^^^same boat, I love a blunt straight shooter...makes me laugh, as he did with his posts. I will add this...

...My wife was very confused for years as I kept buying albums from GG and I don't have a TT. I told her "because it was for a grand cause for a Grand guy"...Pun and name intended

RIP, and condolences to the family

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Prayers for his family. Rest peacefully George.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Wow just wow.been busy at work and have not had time to visit this place in a couple days. My condolences to his family and friends.
  • sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    Truly sad news, having never met the man in person, I can still say from being part of the forum that he was one in a billion. RIP sir, God bless you and yours
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707

I just saw this. Stupid work keeping me too busy.

I was trying to get a hold of him a couple weeks ago 'cause I hadn't heard from him or seen him.

This is heart breaking.

I found this in case anyone was wondering:

http://www.perinchief.com/obituaries/George-Grand/#!/Obituary

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    not much more I can say that hasn't been said. A great man with a gargantuan heart hidden under an occasionally curmudgeonly old man shell......and I wouldn't have wanted him any other way.

Quite possibly the biggest influence I had in the Audio hobby, as I bought Carver Platinums and AR9's and ran them for years based on hearing them at his house . I Also to this day still have my Carver tfm42 and 4.0T amps and will never part with them........if they were good enough for George......

And that Pineapple he brought me from Hawaii.......holy crap.

Vaya Con Dios brother, wish I got another chance to see ya but forever thankful I knew ya.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2016
    Late to the thread, but I am sorry to hear of the passing of George. He was one of the grandest of Grands, certainly. I will always remember that I (accidentally) shorted him postage for some reel-to-reel tapes I bought, but he sent them anyway. He refused another payment to make up for it. It was a very kind gesture on his part.

You will be missed George. R.I.P, and condolences to all his family.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    RIP George. Never met the gentleman but he definitely shared lots of good info here.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Sad, rest in peace George Grand....
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    RIP George Grand of the Jersey Grands! I'm so glad we crossed paths, and I had the honor of hanging out with you. George Grand lives in his music. Glad I have many pieces of his vinyl.

Drinking rum and listening to:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P4LTdKIFSw
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Had no idea he was fighting cancer. RIP George. He was a great guy.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    While I didn't know him very well...he seemed like a very cool person all around. One thing I am learning with age.....life is to short, so enjoy it now.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    prayers sent! RIP George . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    George was the epitome of what a quality person should be. I believe he made all of us who interacted with him better individuals.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I read the obit a few days ago, but waited to post for a while. I still don't really know what to say. I too only knew him on the forum. But I've read his posts over the years eagerly learning from the master. So long George. May God accept you into his merciful arms.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Wow, have not been here for a while or maybe I missed this.

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Mr Grand myself but I sure did enjoy his quick wit and audio knowledge.

Prayers sent out for the family...
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    I will surely miss George....he was the most kind person...RIP good my friend..
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Sounds Grand has closed its' doors. You will be missed George.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    gidrah wrote: »
    Sounds Grand has closed its' doors. You will be missed George.

Long time no see.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Dang, I just logged on to see this. Very sorry to hear this. RIP George....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hello all, Tom here. George was a one of a kind individual who gave so much yet expected so little. Everybody here who knew him knew that he was first class all of the way (me included) even though he was tough with people. His heart was in the right place, his thoughts were always admirable and while he was a man of few words, his words meant something beyond the norm for so many of his friends.

He will be missed by more than you now. On this forum and others and I feel for his family as this man was one who held the bar to a higher standard. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. My respect for this man goes well beyond his posting, even though I have never met the man himself.

We didn't see eye to eye on everything audio but what I could very much respect is that he held his ground....regardless.

George, may you RIP brother and we shall meet once again to listen to tunes upsatirs someday. You were a good man, one of the first people I ever spoke to online, you gave good advice when I first started in this hobby and I will never forget that. I just wish I had the chance to tell you this while you were still with us.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    PS.

Thanks for all of the vinyl bro'.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Double G,, thanks for looking out for me for some hard to find vinyl,, you are missed sir.Rest in Peace.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)