RTA-11t problem

Options
124»

Comments

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just jumped the polyswitch when I did my crossovers. Still don't hear a need for added resistance. Shouldn't need to do that with the upgraded tweeters.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Sure you should, .5ohms is very audible. Others, including myself can hear differences even smaller than that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    That's because you're a freak of nature, Jesse. ;)
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sure you should, .5ohms is very audible. Others, including myself can hear differences even smaller than that.

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I didn't say it wasn't audible, although I don't know because I didn't compare side by side. What I meant was, I don't feel like my speakers are too bright with the polyswitch removed and no added resistance. They sound balanced to me, and much much better than before the crossover refresh.

Have you found brightness to be an issue in this case? Or graininess? Maybe I've sold myself short by not adding the .5 back in. I thought that was built in to help tame the SL2000s.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    the poly was tweeter protection, and has resistance. The .5 ohm is added to keep the crossover as close to original as possible.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    ^ This ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Some of the very early RTA11TL were marked RTA11T. These have the same cabinets, drivers, PR's and crossover as the TL but are labeled T. The 1990 date would be just about right.

It is possible that the crossover has an issue (ie. shorted cap).

I may have missed this earlier... Does the speaker in question cause the amp to go into protect when connected to either channel? Or just the one channel?

This is what my original RTA11TL (1991) crossovers looked like : 16117jehpx8t.jpg

I found that the electrolytic (shiny blue) in parallel with the foil cap (yellow) was not properly soldered on one of mine. In fact someone missed soldering it at all.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • derwood
    derwood Posts: 29
    Options
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited April 2016
    Options
    After reading all that it seems to me from my inexperienced point of view the only other troubleshooting option would be to swap crossovers, If the good spk works as usual on both amp channels it stands to reason that the amp ain't the issue.Perhaps if by switching the xovers and the bad spk then works fine you'll know its something in the other xover,If the problem presents itself again with the good xover then perhaps its has something to do with a driver [ maybe a intermittent short.if thats even possible]
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    I would try jumping the polyswitch before swapping crossovers. It will not harm anything.

One last thought is to check the midwoofers by lightly pressing them by hand and listen for any scratching sounds. If one magnet or cone is a little off, once it reaches a certain level, it could rub and be shorting.

Years ago a friend had one of two car subs that was just a little off and kept tripping the amp after about a year. It did not scratch normally, but we found it was a little off center. It could move one direction more that the other. In this case it was easier to test by just disconnecting one sub. One was an issue, the other was not.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I would press the PR in and listen for scratching sound from the MWs this method will move the MW cones out then back full motion. If you (and I hope you hear nothing) should tell you what's up.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    It's possible one of the woofers in the suspect speaker was replaced. The 11t/tls should have MW6510 woofers. It's possible one of the woofers was replaced with a different model, say a 4 ohm MW6502. Check DC Resistance at the binding posts. The two speakers should measure within a few percentage points of each other. Pull one of the passive radiators, and visually inspect the crossover for evidence of heat damage. I'd also recommend pulling the woofers and checking the model numbers. While they're out, you can inspect and test them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/