RTA-11t problem

Options

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    If your getting the 198's do what i did. I put 1 in & listened to it & compared. It took me 20 seconds to shut it down & put the other one in quickly. I didnt think id notice. Was i wrong. You will thank yourself latter :)
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,831
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    i read alot :) ... nope i ment RTA11's ive never heard. Ive owned the Monitor 10's & 11's w/peerless tweets that sounded very good

Ah, very good.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• derwood
    derwood Posts: 29
    Options
    tweeters are also dated 1990. probably the original tweeters
  • boston1450
    Options
    Someone will be looking for some of those - $$$
    Randy/Maine
  • derwood
    Options
    im excited, cant wait to get the new tweeters. my refurbished and upgraded carver 1.0 will be here in about two weeks. If you ever get a chance to get the 1.0 you will love it. I bought the adcom to tide me over until it gets here.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    They are nice speakers. Currently have then in my HT set up. Got my Monitor 5s in 2 channel duty.

Enjoy friend!

upikgvbzvh7t.jpg
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • derwood
    Options
  • boston1450
    Options
    I had a Adcom 555 hooked to the 15tl's for 2 weeks or so & i tried the Yamaha & now the Adcom is in the closet. Adcoms pair excellent with SDA's but to me it didnt with the rta. I had a Carver receiver & loved it. But i used it on Paradigms. Pure bliss
    Randy/Maine
  • derwood
    Options
    I want to replace the caps. Can someone tell me which caps to get? Thanks
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    derwood wrote: »
    yeah, you are probably correct. It's just strange that the other speaker does not trigger the relay. Thanks.

That is the key to solving the issue. What is different between 2 seemingly identical speakers.
    If one speaker does it for sure and the other does not for sure, you have narrowed down the possible or potential issues at hand.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I want to replace the caps. Can someone tell me which caps to get? Thanks

Sonicap caps and Mills resistors. Purchase here, http://www.soniccraft.com/

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• derwood
    Options
    Thanks, does the mylar cap replace with a different type?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Replace them all.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    2 o'clock. using a carver c2 preamp and a denon DP-47 turntable. The good speaker can be turned up until the amp clips and it never trips. That is on either channel. The bad speaker trips the relay well before the amp clips no matter which channel it is hooked to.

Ouch....way too much man. If sticky fingers on the volume dial is a hard to break habit, maybe Pro speakers are up your alley.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • derwood
    Options
    Ha! Why is that too much? the amp is 100 watts per channel and it is not clipping/distorting. The speakers are rated at 250 watts.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    An amp will begin to square off waves before you hear audible distortion.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    An amp will begin to square off waves before you hear audible distortion.

This!

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • tonyb
    Options
    Ha! Why is that too much? the amp is 100 watts per channel and it is not clipping/distorting. The speakers are rated at 250 watts.

Oh, there's a ton of reasons, many of which we've gone over a gazillion times. Do a search here on properly powering speakers or clipping, grab a sandwich and a coke and read up a bit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Oh, there's a ton of reasons, many of which we've gone over a gazillion times. Do a search here on properly powering speakers or clipping, grab a sandwich and a coke and read up a bit.

Are we missing one huge issue?

He said only one speaker causes the issue, when he switches to the other speaker, the issue goes away..........

So logically, that would put the issue entirely with that one speaker, rite?
  • codycatalist
    Options
    That or the one channel in the amp. Need to know specifics on how it was tested. The only thing I can think of is a speaker terminal short or internal wiring. Both would require inspecting the tweet and two mid drivers.

• K_M
    Options
    2 o'clock. using a carver c2 preamp and a denon DP-47 turntable. The good speaker can be turned up until the amp clips and it never trips. That is on either channel. The bad speaker trips the relay well before the amp clips no matter which channel it is hooked to.

Bad speaker is bad...lol
    Logical as Mr. Spock would say!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yes it would, and most likely a poly switch. My comment was aimed at the 2 0'clock volume he said was used.

Maybe he's expecting to use 100% of the volume dial, I dunno, but I can see he needs a better grasp on things or this problem will continue for him. Just tryin' to save the man some coin down the road.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    That or the one channel in the amp. Need to know specifics on how it was tested. The only thing I can think of is a speaker terminal short or internal wiring. Both would require inspecting the tweet and two mid drivers.

he said the other speaker does not do it on EITHER channel of amp a page or two back though.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Regardless of his issue he's turning the volume dial up too loud, that's what we're talking about.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • derwood
    Options
    Ha! you guys are funny. You are telling me that im turning my **** up to loud based on a little white dot on a knob. Trust me its not too loud. The amp is no where near clipping. The speakers sound clean and tight. You have no idea what the output of my turntable is or the preamp. That is like saying your amp is louder because it goes to eleven and mine only goes to ten. LOL!
  • F1nut
    Options

It's obvious you have a LOT to learn about audio gear and we are trying to help you do that, but you're not listening.

President of Club Polk

• derwood
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Hi derwood,
    It does sound as though the amp is reacting to a short since it is happening as soon as you reach a certain level with no audible distortion. If you have access to a fairly good volt/ohm meter try measuring the DC resistance of both speakers. One might be considerably lower than the other.
    The point about the volume control is that under normal circumstances with a line level source, such as a CD player, a preamp's volume control when set to around 12:00 o'clock will produce enough output voltage to cause most power amps to reach full output. So, as a general guideline it is recommended that playing volumes be kept lower than 12:00 o'clock to avoid harmful distortion.
    When considering phonograph sources there can be many variables that make this difficult to equate to volume position, cartridge output being the main one. Then listening for harshness or a brittle quality to the way upper frequencies are reproduced is the best method to detect distortion.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Regards, Ken
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Can we get a "Gibbs slap (NCIS)" emoticon please.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    He said only one speaker causes the issue, when he switches to the other speaker, the issue goes away..........

So logically, that would put the issue entirely with that one speaker, rite?
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yes it would, and most likely a poly switch.
    Hi derwood,
    It does sound as though the amp is reacting to a short since it is happening as soon as you reach a certain level with no audible distortion. If you have access to a fairly good volt/ohm meter try measuring the DC resistance of both speakers. One might be considerably lower than the other.

Regards, Ken

Trying to get back on track.

@derwood Don't give up yet! :) Sometimes threads can get off track and things get overlooked especially when there are some trigger words. Its the internet. :o

I thought you checked the resistance, but I can't find that post. If you have not checked the resistance, that is the first thing to check. If the resistance is the same, I would vote that it could be the polyswitch as well. If you had an amp without the protection circuit then if I recall only the tweeter on the speaker would cut out. The tripping of the polyswitch won't harm an amp, but it could be fooling the Adcom for a split second. I believe you can jump the polyswitch, at least for testing purposes.

You have some great speakers and are on the right path with the RDO-198 tweeters and the crossover upgrades. Some people replace the polyswitch when upgrading the crossovers just in case there is an issue, and some eliminate it because it becomes the lowest quality part in the crossover. If you eliminate it, then a resistor value in the circuit needs to be increased to compensate for the missing polyswitch. resistance. Stick around there is good information and enjoyment to be had here.