George Grand

BDT
BDT Posts: 212
George Grand passed away this morning.

Stephanie called Wendi to let her know. He was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last summer and it had spread to his liver. Just like George, he didn't want anyone to know. He was only 63.

This one hits home and hits hard. For those that knew him....George was, well, George. I mean, what can you say? Hell hath no fury like George when he was pissed but on the other hand, there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for you. He would open up his home to almost complete strangers and anyone who saw him with his family...well, it was just amazing. The money and support he raised for the Githens Center was just mind boggling. He was my friend and I'm proud of it.

I'm just sitting here thinking of all the laughs and great times...Darin's Remote, the endless pissing contests, the Carver wattage wars...SDA vs. SH...the Man Caves/Magic Closets...not just with George but a lot of you clowns. RuSsMaN, F1Nut, Hoosier21, RT1 and many more that started out as just names on a internet forum and are now lifelong friends. I love you guys.

Anyway, very sad day for me. I'll be spinning some Zappa and drinking some Goslings Rum. One for me, one for my friend. I know he's looking down, with his hair coiffed with Brylcreme, torching a Lucky Strike, telling anyone who will listen about the merits and genius of the AR3.

BDT

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    OMG. I had no idea he was sick! RIP.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Well that is sad news, I didn't know him only read his posts over the last six years seemed like a real straight shooter and as funny as heck.
    Condolences to his Family on his passing, RIP George

Roger
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Goodness!! Like was said, I had no idea he was so ill.....Rest In Peace my friend :(
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Wow! This is truly saddening. George really is one of the greats. I was wondering the other day why I hadn't seen him on here in a while. RIP George.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    BDT I'm shocked GG of the New Jersey GRANDS will be sorely missed!!

Please send our sincere condolences to the family.

Thanks for the info pal
    when I get home ZAPPA it is SO effin loud they'll hear it in Jersey

Rock on George

Ivan
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    George Grand, of the Jersey Grands, was an easy guy to like. Rest in peace, George.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    RIP George. I'm honored to have gotten in on one of his legendary record sales.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Very Sad. Never met him, but his posts were always worth reading.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    RIP George. Another good one taken too soon.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    This hits very hard indeed. My prayers for family and friends.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Great guy, always a good friend to me. RIP Mr. Grand of the Jersey Grands.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Sad to hear of GGs passsing. He was never one to back down and was always entertaining. He will be missed.
    [
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    So sorry to hear this. I had a few PM conversations with him and liked him. I wish I had the chance to meet him.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Wow - R.I.P. George Grand - practically an institution on CP.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2016
    George, God Bless, God Speed....Love you man. Unbelievable.

George Grand of the Jersey Grands, has left the building; and the forum will never be the same.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    George was one of the really good guys. I am so sad to hear this. RIP George. dang it
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Wow, I never knew he was ill. He will be missed. RIP George.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    Well ****.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    RIP George ! Gone but not forgotten!
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    This is terrible news! Fair well GG of the NJ G's.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    If anyone is taking a collection for Flowers I am in.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I would guess George would rather you send a donation to the Githens center.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Had no idea either he was sick. RIP George, an Icon in his own right.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Sat and talked with him for awhile about music and speakers at Lou's. Gruff exterior but a softy on the inside. His acerbic wit and GG charm will be missed. Rest easy.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    This is sad to hear. Bought a lot of albums from him over the last few years. Was always a great guy to work with.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Man, I didn't know him personally but the almost decade or more that I've been here has shown him to be a pillar/staple of this community. Cancer, that **** claims yet another victim. You guys saw my post last month about something similar, so it's pretty personal to me. My prayers for all his loved ones. His spirit will live on in our archives, and our hearts.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Ave atque vale, Mr. Grand.

The Polk Forum has lost a true wit, and he will be missed.

I didn't know him except on the Forum, and his posts were always worth reading and often a real "stitch" to read.

My condolences to his friends and especially to his family.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    So sorry to hear this. RIP George. My condolences to the Grand family.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    That sux. Although I never met him personally, I could tell that George was a great guy. Always entertaining to read his posts. I'm very sorry to hear this. He was barely able to enjoy his retirement. Prayers to his family. RIP George.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...