Tesla Model III

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Kurt may have some valid points, but I think where he's going off the rails is associating them with political persuasions.

For instance....Fear. Fear knows no politics, race, religion, gender, class. You take an aging population and a fast moving technology based society and put them together, yeah.....a lot are going to be afraid. Afraid of being outdated and useless, afraid of that credit card swiper cashiers have to use when looking for a job.

That's why I suggest money is better spent in education or re-education of older folks too who need jobs to supplement their incomes and improve their lives by being a part of a working society again. That will also improve their health too, lowering costs.

We can't always put the cart before the horse, we have to stop sometimes and take a breath and deal with the current problems of today before trying to deal with what some think might be a problem tomorrow.

I'm not suggesting either we have zero foresight. We do however have limited funds and a debt we may never overcome. Maybe we can all agree, our country became great from the industrial revolutions from the early to mid part of last century. A working class of immigrants who came here for a better life and they produced something in exchange. Exactly what our forefathers wanted. They knew prosperity would come thru productivity....and everyone would be risen up.

Today though, we produce less therefore we are less prosperous. We have a lot who come here not to produce, but to take. Technology has erased some producers and created others so we can't lay blame solely at it's feet. We have to look at the bigger picture and make changes with careful measure. Too many times we become reactionary.....after the problems arise instead of heading them off before they happen. Then it becomes one band aided measure after another and nothing ever truly gets solved.

To make our system work, we need more producers, a lot more, than takers. That's what made us great to begin with, and it's a formula that seems to escape us today.

I have no problem with someone wanting to make a car, electric or not, if it fits your needs roll with it. My problem comes from a more good use of public money and an avoidance of social engineering at the hands of a few.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    ......and that's my soap box for the day, Now back to Cannoli's, naked women, and finding a suit of armor to wear when I meet up with Russ.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    tonyb wrote: »
    ......and that's my soap box for the day, Now back to Cannoli's, naked women, and finding a suit of armor to wear when I meet up with Russ.

Tyvek suits are recommended.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Isn't there some sausage opportunity bundled with that list, too?
  • lightman1
    Some of best sausage in the world comes from Chicago. ;)
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Isn't there some sausage opportunity bundled with that list, too?

That's what the suit of armor is for Mark. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    yes, yes... cured sausage. I'm hip.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lightman1 wrote: »

Just stay away from a$$less chaps....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892

Just stay away from a$$less chaps....

I agree, as these and sausage do not mix.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2016
    I put my $$$ down about 30min into the online reservations, and being a current Model S owner I should get mine fairly early. However being in the midwest will likely work against me. Will be interesting to see how they end up doing deliveries.

All in all, I've been very impressed with the car, and the way the company operates. Customer service has been pretty outstanding, and the cars performance is just flat out bonkers.

EDIT: Wow! I managed to get my reply in before the thread gets closed. :/:#
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wouldn't mind having one, but I will let the early adopters work out the bugs. Then I will benefit from their experience. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cmy330go
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having one, but I will let the early adopters work out the bugs. Then I will benefit from their experience. :)

Not a bad idea. As great as they have done, they can't help but have some issues being such a young company. Model X was/is more of a risk, but I'd imagine there will be a few bugs in the 3. Though I do think they learned a major lesson on the X. I doubt they will be anywhere near as ambitious on the 3. Especially considering the insane amount of demand for it.

As a longtime gearhead I'm really shocked how much I absolutely love driving electric. It honestly has made my gassers seem clumsy and lethargic. That being said, there is something about the beautiful sound of the V8 in my M3 that I'm not about to give up. But for day to day driving, it's hard to deny how outstanding an EV is.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • lightman1
    330..I have a 2001 740iL M Sport. Love that V8 ;)
  • cmy330go
    330..I have a 2001 740iL M Sport. Love that V8 ;)

That is an outstanding car. I still catch myself occasionally shopping those online. It was just before BMW lost sight of what made them great. The 2002 7-series was the first step of their downturn (imo). Ever since, they have been trying to blend the lines between them and Lexus. I've owned a fair share of BMW and Lexus, and though I'll admit that the Lexus I've owned spent a little less time in the shop, I didn't actually miss them while they were there, the BMWs however were a different story.
    HT

2 CH
  • lightman1
    Yep. The last of the sexy 7's. After that, they started being a car you hired a driver to go from A to B. Still tickles the **** out of me to hit the interstate on ramp and passing people when I hit the end of the ramp.
    A 750iL is in the works. ;) not Li, if you catch my "drift".
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    EVFrisbee wrote: »
    Kurt,

Congratulations on your Pre-Order of your #TeslaModel3 - I Pre-Ordered Two :)

One online at a Tesla Store 9 miles from my house, I was #8 on line, I figure that my order was around #65,000 to 80,000 and then my wife starting talking about when will she be able to drive the Tesla and so I coughed up another $1000 and pre-ordered a second one. But that order went in when the orders were at around 300,000

One note on your re-fueling, the current Tesla Supercharger will give 170 miles of range in 30 minutes. So if you arrive at the SuperCharger station with 45 miles left of range you will be filled up in 30 minutes.

There are rumors that the supercharger will get even more powerful, like 300 miles range in 30 minutes, If that happens by the time the Model3 comes out to Charge up will take even less time.

EV

Kurt300 wrote: »
    I think a lot of this comes down to how people fundamentally view change. Some view change with a sense of wonder, and some with fear. Viewing it with wonder does not make you gullible. And viewing it with fear does not make you wrong. But the "wonder" people do tend to be liberal, and the "fear" people do tend to be conservative.

Another reason I put down my reservation for the Model 3 is that there is a cluster of 8 supercharging stations right now between my work and home, just off the highway, open 24/7, for free, fast charging. Thus, a good deal of my fuel may simply be free. There are some nice restaurants near the station, so I may be fueling myself once a week while I fuel my car (perhaps one 60-75 min stop, and one 20-30 min stop, each week). Or maybe I do one overnight charge per week (at a small personal cost), to reduce the weekly "supercharges" to 1. We'll see.

Sal? Is that you?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The E90, 92, and 93 have a 4L V8.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    1L is about 61 cubic inches, so 244 cubic inches.

• nooshinjohn
    I love the Jaguar v8. Silky smoothe power, and the torque is pretty good. I just wish I had the supercharged car. Nothing like the growl that car has. I may start looking for an Aston Martin Vanquish one of these days however.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Aston Martin makes such gorgeous cars. The DBS is my favorite but the Vanquish is dead sexy too.

600-aston-span.jpg

• oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Here is a little anecdotal Tesla story for you guys.
    Three weekends ago I went from West Los Angeles to Las Vegas with my Attorney. We were in his second Tesla. He had just taken deliver of his 2nd Tesla, Model P90D with probably every option. Including Ludicrous Speed and self driving.
    We charged it to full while we were having lunch in Fox Hills (at the absolutely free Supercharger station) at which we were the only car. Hopped in and drove out through Antelope Valley to avoid the downtown traffic. And we played with every gadget, button, and toy in the car. Including running the battery down with several 0 to 100+ rips. The car is simply amazing.
    We charged it along the way at a Supercharger station while us old farts hit the WC.
    That charge took us all the way into Vegas and his house on West Tropicana. The next morning I drove the car around town doing the tourist thing and charged it for him at another Supercharger station. It wasn't anywhere near empty. But being an Attorney he HATES to spend his own electricity to charge it.

I almost ordered the SUV but changed my mind when I found out that the Gull Wing doors are only for the back seat passengers. With my bad back and stiff neck it's tough to get in and out of low roofline cars. So now I am looking at the Lexus RX350.
    But why are all the colors so damn boring?
  • nooshinjohn
    Welcome back Sal, and welcome back to the bozo list.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    SAL!!!!

How many bumper stickers are you up too now?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Not Model III related, but I just saw my first Tesla two weeks ago, and another one yesterday on my way back from the beach - license plate read: NOFTPRNT :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    yeah, no footprint. I got got a little chuckle out of that. It was a Model S, I think. Looked to move pretty well when the guy wanted to get up and go. I remember thinking to myself, man, I bet that's a pretty smooth, quiet and responsive ride in there.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb

mrbiron wrote: »
    SAL!!!!

[/quote]

Think I saw one he added....

irehi5fz6sua.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    msg wrote: »
    Not Model III related, but I just saw my first Tesla two weeks ago, and another one yesterday on my way back from the beach - license plate read: NOFTPRNT :)

Holy smokes, do you live in a mine? i swear every other car i see is a Tesla.

T-bone, we ALL have that bumper sticker. I got the "corrected" version that replaces the word Married with #%^&ed!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    EVFrisbee wrote: »
    Well, I'm a debit card kind of guy but i do have one Client that pays in cash.

TonyB did you see this article?

http://electrek.co/2016/04/26/automakers-fuel-cell-hydrogen-electric-vehicles/

Somebody here told me that Hydrogen is going to beat Elelctric cars. Do you still think they are correct?

I think you already know my feelings on that Sal. Hydrogen is a nice idea, but not practical with no infrastructure either to support it. At least electric has some infrastructure to support it so that's a leg up for them.

I think they all are nice ideas, hydrogen, electric, solar wind, canned pig farts, you name it. None however have the capacity needed to replace fossil fuels though.

But....that's how innovation happens and new ideas formed, I get that.

Unfortunately, globally....we still have a good chunk of the planet that still lives in poverty. The only way for them to rise up out of it is to burn fossil fuels, create jobs and build an economy that's self sustaining. Much the same way we did. If we never used fossil fuels, just bypassed the whole idea and went straight to solar/wind, where would we be today ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Mueller said that the company would "make electric cars one of Volkswagen's new hallmarks" with 20 new models by 2020.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    LOL, now that's real science fiction right there Sal. 140 ?? They'd never allow it. You'd have to raise social security to 130, lol. The people that run the planet have this notion that once you are outside of your working years you are no longer any use to the state. Prolonged life doesn't fit into that ideology, your a drain on the system after x amount of years.

Better chance of us being a multi-planet race, now that I can dig and really is the only option for survival of our species. Except Mars doesn't tickle my fancy as a vacation spot for some reason. Maybe it's just me, I dunno. Much prefer a planet like in Avatar.

40 billion people ? That means mass amounts of orgy's, no abortions, no birth control, and about 500 years in the making....with time off to do it some more. lol Sounds like fun....sign me up. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's