Building a pair of Polk Monitor 10's

Comments

• nikoniknikonik Posts: 117
    I like your work! Looking forward to seeing you smile when your finished.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,134
    Great thread! Been there before a few times..LOL
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• willwillywillwilly Posts: 185
    Today is wood laminating day. I decided to do the front and backs in oak. I think this will be a good contrast to the walnut veneer.
    1ju8vv8yj2o7.jpg
    4qc2ac7wz237.jpg
    sp4b2a5hpwod.jpg
    Will I am
    After trimming. These will look good after sanding and a clear satin finish.
    f1xa3cioljru.jpg

Will I am
    These are the pieces for the sides and top including the solid walnut for the front.
    hysgh5xbx9qu.jpg
    Will I am
    edited March 2016
    Last thing we got done tonight was gluing the solid walnut to the sides.
    More to come next weekend.
    heq86rbnwlr7.jpg
    shqpmll7l04f.jpg
    Will I am
    Does anyone have a sl2000/ RDO 194 router template?
    Will I am
    Veneer arrived today...
    e1zdq11zlm7g.jpeg
    Will I am
    Getting ready, sanding the sides smooth for the veneer.
    6goyeuzze46p.jpg
    Will I am
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,877
    Is that your workshop!?!

*subscribed*
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Is that your workshop!?!

*subscribed*
    Yes.

Will I am
    So today, pulled everything out of the clamps, sanded, and veneered. It would be so much easier if I could use solid wood, but...
    Getting closer to final assembly.
    jidw9inde70h.jpg
    9kjhdutnps36.jpg

Will I am
    Added cross bracing to the fronts. I don't think it needs it but why not. This is far beyond the originals as far as rigidity.
    4mvju7e99cle.jpg
    Will I am
    Cut the miters, biscuits, and an army of clamps,

Our first test fit. Looks good.

h5ylkys9j5p4.jpg
    sd0qu2vl2svb.jpg
    Will I am
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,981
    Beautiful!! Have to say I'm jealous...
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,217
    Man, those are gorgeous. It would almost be a sin to put a grill on them.
    BTW, the originals had a front to back brace between the two woofers, starting at the bottom of the woofer opening, running vertically to just below the tweeter opening.
    A roll of Dacron was stuffed horizontally behind the tweeter. A second roll, cut like a pair of pants, was inserted behind the woofer openings, with a flap at the bottom.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
    Man, those are gorgeous. It would almost be a sin to put a grill on them.
    BTW, the originals had a front to back brace between the two woofers, starting at the bottom of the woofer opening, running vertically to just below the tweeter opening.
    A roll of Dacron was stuffed horizontally behind the tweeter. A second roll, cut like a pair of pants, was inserted behind the woofer openings, with a flap at the bottom.

Very good info. You all are on top of keeping me straight. That was my next question.

Today is final assembly! It is getting stressful. Good stress but this is where all the hard work comes together, so far it looks like our diligent on making accurate cutting pays off.
    Will I am
  • Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 285
    If somebody goes against the rules and the outcome sounds great, does it still count ?
    Biscuit cutting on the tops, ready for glue.
    m1562pl84l3h.jpg
    Will I am
    4kp69vnv3e9x.jpg
    kff5btnl2uxj.jpg
    One down, just enough clamps for two speakers,
    Will I am
  • MalbecMalbec Posts: 481
    Nice work Will.
    Any significance/connection to the pic of Fallingwater on the back wall?
    Non intended, but good eye... Been there a couple times. I guess I need to hang the poster straight...
    Will I am
  • Those are lookin' sweet!!
    "The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors."
    Why are you not cutting in the tweeter to sit flush? It would look better, that is the only thing I don't like, everything else is top shelf...
    Sanded and test fitting components. There are a couple decisions left. Do I route the tweeter to sit flush, do I chamfer the edge. I like how the walnut frames the oak... routing a perfect gusset for the tweeter is risky. Hence why I was looking for a RDO-194 router template... I'm still trying to figure that one out...
    ppgfbj5ogwb0.jpg
    2sxu4k2dvjb8.jpg
    Will I am
    Beautiful!! Those will be the nicest set of 10's on the planet, what am I saying they already are...
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,244
    Why not make a template out of cardboard?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    edited March 2016
    I see two different options. I could route out 3/8" deep recess just outside the edge of the tweeter. But the face of the RDO is contoured, not flat like the peerless so it looks odd sitting in a recess.

Or I could route to a lip just under the edge of the tweeter and set the tweeter in the recess like a cookie jar lid. Unfortunately there is less than an 1/8" reveal. This would have to be a very accurate cut.

I use a collar on a router to follow an inside profile of a template. The profile is the same shape but larger to compensate for the distance from the collar to the bit. This is an accurate cut. I believe I would have to have a template made on a 3 axis router table.

I could do free hand routing in the center and use sharp wood chisel and wood carving tools.

Still working on it. Or I could mount them as is...
    Will I am
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,217
    You can surface mount the tweeter. I've done it. You need to grind off the lip on the back of the plastic bezel. It will still be raised about an 1/8".
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • MalbecMalbec Posts: 481
    How comfortable are you relying on your handworking skills?