What happened to the old forum?

Options
Been a member on the old forum page for as long as I can remember and enjoyed every minute of it. Then today when I tried to get on said page no longer available and I found this new forum on polks site. Wonder why the old members were dropped and not transferred over. Had to re-register and use new user name cause the old one was"not available" Hmmm I may be lost incyberspace

Best Answers

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sounds like you were away for quite a while.
    Who knows maybe this is easier for them to maintain.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Been a member on the old forum page for as long as I can remember and enjoyed every minute of it. Then today when I tried to get on said page no longer available and I found this new forum on polks site. Wonder why the old members were dropped and not transferred over. Had to re-register and use new user name cause the old one was"not available" Hmmm I may be lost incyberspace

If you want your old username back contact the mod, Kenneth Swauger. He'll need your old name and your IP addy.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Answer ✓
    Options
    All the older versions of this forum where much better then this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No one likes it, but Polk isn't listening. How's that for irony!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• F1nut
    Options
    Welcome to the disaster known as Vanilla.

President of Club Polk

• Gunther16
    Options
    Still getting used to this "New and improved" version. I dont care for Vanilla!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welcome back anyway! Not all change is for the better. :#
  • F1nut
    Options
    Not all change is for the better. :#

Especially, "Change you can believe in."

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    What do you call people who are resistant to change? Any change and constantly long for "the good old days" (even if when looked at objectively the good old days weren't really that good)?

lol
  • F1nut
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What do you call people who constantly stir up trouble? Who desperately want to, but don't fit in due to their own behavior and the louder they scream for attention, the worse they make it for themselves?

lol

President of Club Polk

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Welcome back Gunther, hope you get your old user name back. I don't know why you bring that up gatecrasher,some of us liked the old days.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Welcome back Gunther, hope you get your old user name back. I don't know why you bring that up gatecrasher,some of us liked the old days.

“Say goodbye to the oldies, but goodies, because the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems” - Billy Joel

It's just like the thread on MP3 files where someone makes the claim that 8-track tapes sounded better.

"Nostalgia is the file that removes the rough edges from the "good old days". - Doug Larson

No matter how much you whine you can't ever go back and if you ever really could, in the end you would regret it.

10 years from now you'll wish we still had this format. Not because it's any better. Because the new format will be different.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Some just looking for attention. It is what it is!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Guess when I'm in my mid-80s, with that hip replacement, failing eyesight, partial deafness, and off solid foods, I might look back on the good old days in a "different" way! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Ha, even yesterday is a good old day, Partial deafness can be a good thing, you get to crank up the volume.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    You can't ever go back to the good old days, but you can go forward in a positive fashion.

However, you can't go forward in a positive fashion if your are constantly longing for yesterday.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    How do you not like something that's good? I'm 77 still flexible.. Me thinks..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In his childhood, my son coined a phrase to substitute for the "good old days."

His phase was, the "rusty old days," which is pretty accurate in the opinion of this soon-to-be-70-years-old curmudgeon.

For example: I sometimes reflect on the "rusty old days," when I drove my 1964 Pontiac GTO. Nostalgia is a great feeling in which to indulge, till reality sets in.

Having just returned from a making a 30-hours-long round-trip drive to New Jersey, I am reminded of many reasons the I wouldn't trade my current ride -- a Lexus LX470 -- for a couple of 1964 GTOs. To start with, my current Mark Levinson sound system was impossible in 1964.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Gatecrasher
    Options

For example: I sometimes reflect on the "rusty old days," when I drove my 1964 Pontiac GTO. Nostalgia is a great feeling in which to indulge, till reality sets in.

There is wisdom in your words Moose.

I have a 1965 Nova SS that is all original with a 283, power steering (slave cylinder), power brakes (single-bail M/C & drums), and a Powerglide transmission. A faithful restoration that even includes reproduction BF Goodrich Silvertown bias ply whitewall tires and a tar top battery. Everything is like bone-stock.

When I was a kid these cars seemed to handle fairly-good but after driving a modern car the false perception that came from a sense of nostalgia is broken and it becomes apparent that older cars really do handle like crap and are a lot more uncomfortable to drive compared to a modern one.

With that being said though, I won't be getting rid of my Nova. It has sentimental value (I guess a lot like the older version of the Polk forum had to some on here).

y2h01.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nope, the ego is still hungry.

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    The funny thing about this version of Vanilla (2.0) is there is no reason for it to be this bad, It using all the latest standards (xhtml, css, php, mysql, java and javascript) just like vBulletin does. Polk switched to Vanilla 2.0 because in version 2.0 they provide the server and maintenance. With vBulletin the server and maintenance is left up to you.

I don't think Polk really has a true IT department and the staff they do have does not seem that experienced to me, it shows in the design and coding.

As far as @KennethSwauger go's I really feel for him for all he can do (as allowed by the Vanilla support team :disappointed: ) is close and edit threads and try to keep us jokers in line, when things break or need fixing/changing all he can do is send a request to the Vanilla support team and hope they get around to it.

I understand why Polk switched. Running and maintaining your own servers can get expensive fast with the hardware and people needed to keep it up 24/7, and if you farm it out the bandwidth can kill you. Remember Polk has an entire site with this forum being a small part of a bigger beast.

Anyway JMO
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    What happened to the old forum? Seems to me someone said 'Hey check this out, everything works great, everybody is happy, nobody is complaining, things are running smooth....lets change everything!"
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    What do you call people who constantly stir up trouble? Who desperately want to, but don't fit in due to their own behavior and the louder they scream for attention, the worse they make it for themselves?

lol

Me
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    What happened to the old forum? Seems to me someone said 'Hey check this out, everything works great, everybody is happy, nobody is complaining, things are running smooth....lets change everything!"

It sounds a lot like what you hear whenever a new version of Windows is released.

"I never had any problems with Windows 3.1 but Microsoft had to go and change everything just for the heck of it!"
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Guess when I'm in my mid-80s, with that hip replacement, failing eyesight, partial deafness, and off solid foods, I might look back on the good old days in a "different" way! lol

You're just an old soul there, C.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    The funny thing about this version of Vanilla (2.0).....

........I understand why Polk switched. Running and maintaining your own servers can get expensive fast with the hardware and people needed to keep it up 24/7, and if you farm it out the bandwidth can kill you. Remember Polk has an entire site with this forum being a small part of a bigger beast.

Anyway JMO

Best answer. It's not what we want to hear, but it is what it is. It takes more work to make and store 31 flavors. If it gets easier maybe we will get more toppings in the future.

I do wish the old links would have converted better. That is something I don't understand in today's digital age. Or maybe freeze and save the old forum. I have seen that done. Storage is inexpensive these days.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,082
    Options
    well -- there is archive dot org
    Not exactly a "freeze and save", and not the best thing for finding specific content from forums, but better than nothing.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I don't care for Vanilla either, and not because I am resistant to change. It's because it seems a lot of former members got "lost" in the transition, and a lot of features that were cool to have readily accessible (Showcase, member birthdays, vintage products, etc.) were also done away with. But a lot of people still hang around here anyway.

It's not always about nostalgia...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    Options
    Excellent post Harry.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    So, switching to Vanilla was basically a cost cutting move ? Interesting, maybe Polk isn't doing as good as they'd have us believe or the cost of doing business has risen dramatically in this "future" some seem to embrace.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable