Low to Mid grade cables for new LSiM703's? (Current ones are homebuilt)

Hello people.

I’ve started a long overdue process of upgrading my speakers and will continue over the next few years. I just put in an SVS SB-2000 and I hope to have my LSiM703’s in house before the weekend.

I don’t have an amp, just straight through to a Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH AVR and with 12 Ga cables that I made. So I’m sure some store bought ones would be better. But…I can’t afford expensive cables at the moment, I’m thinking more on the line of low end to mid. Something would be a better than I have.

Questions:

1. What manufacture and model cable can I get that will be better than what I have. New or used.

2. When searching for cables I noticed something called biwire. Should I do that with my LSiM703’s? I see they have cables with 2 banana connectors at one end to 4 banana connectors at the other.

3. Sub-woofer cable?

Or don't you think they would even matter at this point?

Thanks.

zD
HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Budget? Used MIT AVt too expensive? If so than are used MIT EXp too expensive? If so than Canare or something.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • I haven't checked used MIT, i just assumed they would be out of my price range.

I was looking at something like: bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1003279&gclid=CIjn1-uVk8oCFVCQHwodvTcJZQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

I could probably even do double that price at the moment...just unsure of the whole biwire thing.

Trusted sources for used cables?

Thanks.
    HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • Nightfall
    Audiogon. There may be more, some other people will chime in I'm sure.

• Nightfall
    I bought 2 pairs of MIT EXps for like $80 I can't remember exactly

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Blue jeans cables = price performance.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    Blue jeans cables = price performance.

Yep, go here: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm and pick up what's in your budget and assemble them yourself. Obviously won't compete with lots of more expensive options, but great bang for the buck and gives you room and time to grow.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I don't mind DIY... as long as I'd see some performance gain. I'll do some more searching tonight and check back.

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    I had a pioneer vsx01 and had monoprice home made speaker cables. I swapped in MIT avt in all 7 channels and had like 40 ft runs 20 ft and 3 10 ft and cost alot money. For me it never brought the results I had hoped for. It was not until I got a dedicated HT pre and power amp that I could notice good and obvious results.

I think if your going to upgrae then do the front three first L/R/C. You can get some branded bare wire and make your own custom runs that would best many pre-made cables equal to the price.
  • All of my current runs and cables are DIY with:

12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable - 250ft (For In-Wall Installation)
    High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type

I didn't know if I upgraded the cables on the fronts (going to try a phantom center until I can afford a good center) if I could get any improvement with with low to mid manufactured cables.

I am not sure when a dedicated HT pre and power amp would be in the formula.

I guess I'm trying to create an acceptable one system scenario for both HT and music. I listen to music in the same seat that I watch HT!

I'd like to eventually upgrade my center, surrounds and rear before pre's/amps etc. A deciding factor would be my music to HT percentage.

I guess if I upgraded a little each year over the past 8 years I'd be in a better position.

Much to learn...

Thanks.

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Well iI your upgrade is for stereo listening try buying a nice used pair for stereo. If you let us know how much money you have to drop we can all chime in and argue whos pick was better. One component i recomend to drastically change the sound to become more musical is a tube buffer, its cheap and effective!
  • My upgrade money for this year went into the SB-2000 and LSiM703's that I just purchased (Polk Audio Ebay) and waiting for.

That is not to say I wouldn't spend another $500 at some point in the year for something. Especially if I get busy and sell of some stuff that is collecting dust. I believe I just sold a band-saw that I don't use for $400. Sold to a guy at work and I'm letting him go with a payment plan. Probably should put some of that towards the CC portion of the 703's though.

Please enlighten me on a tube buffer. :)

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I've seen exp and avt series MIT cables go for pretty cheap. I would keep an eye out for avt 3 at the very least. I sold an older pair I had for years for about 150 Canadian shipping included. And another basically new in box for 200. There are deals to be had if you are patient.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nbrowser wrote: »
    AVT3s sound incredibly good if I may add. :)

I will keep my eyes on the look out for these while I use my current DIY cables at the beginning.

Inexperienced question...in regards to banana/banana, banana/spade, spade/banana, spade/spade... does it matter?

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    ZenDawgg wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    AVT3s sound incredibly good if I may add. :)

Inexperienced question...in regards to banana/banana, banana/spade, spade/banana, spade/spade... does it matter?

Nope, more for preference and convenience.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2016
    LOOK HERE...

http://www.usaudiomart.com/classifieds/34-speaker-cables/?page=1

I see plenty for 100-150 bucks. How much length do you need ? There is a 10 ft. pair of Reality Speaker cables for 150 bucks which would sound real nice with the Polks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    in regards to banana/banana, banana/spade, spade/banana, spade/spade... does it matter?

What, no bare wire? I'm offended.

Joking

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZenDawgg
    ZenDawgg Posts: 89
    edited January 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    LOOK HERE...

I see plenty for 100-150 bucks. How much length do you need ? There is a 10 ft. pair of Reality Speaker cables for 150 bucks which would sound real nice with the Polks.

Thanks for the link. 8 to 10 ft and 10 ft would maybe work better.

Is it safe to assume that with any extra cable from a speaker, that you don't want to coil it up?

• F1nut wrote: »
    in regards to banana/banana, banana/spade, spade/banana, spade/spade... does it matter?

What, no bare wire? I'm offended.

:#

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »
    LOOK HERE...

Thanks for the link. 8 to 10 ft and 10 ft would maybe work better.

Is it safe to assume that with any extra cable from a speaker, that you don't want to coil it up?

If the cables are shielded, not really an issue if you have a few extra feet. You always want to leave yourself some leeway in case you have to reposition stuff or change the room around.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419

IIRC @DarqueKnight has a post that de-bunks that common belief - it's more important how your cables interact with your power cords as I remember the discussion/post (not running parallel).
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Very few speaker cables are shielded. Real long shielded speaker cables can make so amplifiers unhappy.
    If the speaker cables are twisted pair, then you can coil them up no problems. The send current in one wire cancels the return field in the other wire. With a spaced pair, do a jumble wind coil.
  • Buyer accepted my offer of $125 ($142 shipped) for:

2pcs MIT AVt3-Series Speaker Cables Interface S3 AVT3S-12 Feet each

ebay.com/itm/2pcs-MIT-AVt3-Series-Speaker-Cables-Interface-S3-AVT3S-12-Feet-each-/161939011233?nma=true&si=7KiMsLu8VjKGRWv3hcaHvmoYo7c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was a little hesitant since he has a real low rating, so I contacted him.

1. To ask about the cables and he said they are 13 months old and hardly used. He was selling his hi-fi system because he wasn't using it and to create some room. His latest sell was a McIntosh MC275 Tube Amplifier, 75 WPC, All Orignal for $3499...I'm only gambling $142 :)

2. I also made sure that there were pcs like the title states. He replied there are 2pcs and he should have included both in the listing picture.

We'll find out in a week or so!

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    MrBuhl wrote: »

IIRC @DarqueKnight has a post that de-bunks that common belief - it's more important how your cables interact with your power cords as I remember the discussion/post (not running parallel).

Here:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2158502#Comment_2158502

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2016
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    ...it's more important how your cables* interact with your power cords .
    Speaker or ICs? If speaker, I am SO missing something. Yeah I read DK's thread debunking coiled speaker cable, etc.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2016
    ZenDawg: if your new cables are 14 ga or smaller, anticipate reduced bass response & control. My $0.02: I think you'd enjoy, to a much greater degree, improved SQ w/a power upgrade* w/those speakers than any cable - sorry I didn't chime in sooner.
    * and I don't mean power increase
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I think you will be truely happy with those avt3's they were my first "real" cable after some audioquest stuff.

I use 4 meter nordosts in my system, when I have about 6 feet to go, I have them zig zagged over to the speakers. I have coiled, snaked, zigzagged, and couldn't hear a difference. Nordost cables are not shielded, they recommend longer runs for this reason. Not sure though, I'm no expert. Maybe my local hifi shop is up selling me? :wink:

As for my shot guns, they make it exactly to my speakers.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Hi,

What used MIT cable series would work well with my S3 AVT3S?

Thanks.

• Nightfall
    If a cable is NOT shielded I would think shorter would be better. Less chance of picking up "interference"?

Like you, though, what do I know.

• F1nut
    I don't know of any speaker cable that is shielded.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Hi,

What used MIT cable series would work well with my S3 AVT3S?

Thanks.

Other AVt series.

Ignore gp4jesus' comment on gauge. There's more to cables than that.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.