This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Options

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The HK citation 16 still eludes me. Someday one will be mine!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    saved from the scrap heap of time. Wood sides. Nikko trm-50 1969? pre/amplifier
    nfwtmvxeclj4.jpg
    ixb2vtmrn98q.jpg

anyone got info on this beast?

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    Here is an oldie but goodie. Phase Linear 700B

700b.jpg
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Pioneer HPM-200

HPM200_open.jpg
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    SAE C101 and Pioneer CT-F950

SAE_Pioneer.jpg

• Wardsweb
    Options
    Carver Silver 7t

silver7t.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    OK - Mr. Ward wins. He always does ;- )

Happy Thanksgiving, sir!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    SAE C101 and Pioneer CT-F950

SAE_Pioneer.jpg
    That Pioneer looks solid! Nice units , are they from the late 80's?

• Wardsweb
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    That Pioneer looks solid! Nice units , are they from the late 80's?

The Pioneer is from 1979 and the SAE is from 1985.

• Polkie2009
    Options
    These units are over 30 and 35 years old and still working? That's Japanese integrity right there! :)
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    These units are over 30 and 35 years old and still working? That's Japanese integrity right there! :)

Well they work with new belts. I haven't seen any originals that the belts were still good on. Rubber dries out and cracks or reverts back to its natural state and melts into goo.
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    I agree on the belts, but I'm amazed the circuitry is hanging in there. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bing tells me after much searching this is circa 1969, 17Watts and sold for $89.00
    bucks or so. You push in the bass button for a rumble filter and the treble for a
    "scratch" filter.

I'm curious on how to use it as a pre? Should have taken
    a pick of the back...
    saved from the scrap heap of time. Wood sides. Nikko trm-50 1969? pre/amplifier
    nfwtmvxeclj4.jpg
    ixb2vtmrn98q.jpg

anyone got info on this beast?

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2015
    Options
    your best bet for arcane Japanese vintage hifi is always www.audio-heritage.jp There is also a transliterated version, too, but I cannot remember the URL at the moment (nor, apparently, can Google).

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/NIKKO/amp/trm-50.html

trm-50.JPG

"Pre-amp/amplifier" may just be a moniker to indicate it's an integrated amp (and not just a preamp)? If it's not just that, there should be "pre out"/"main in" jacks on the back apron, I would think.

Nikko stuff was never common nor popular in Maryland in the olden days, so I am quite unfamiliar with it. If nothing else, they made some fine tuners (their "Gamma" tuners).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks MHardy. Makes sense. I kept looking for a "pre-out" type RCA
    without luck. OTOH, I read something that said the signal is split or something.
    I'll try to get a pick of the back.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I found this easy to translate:
    "Preamplifier / Amplifier, which turned into all-IC other than the world's first power transistor.

The output circuit I have adopted a low-distortion epitaxial planar silicon power transistor NIKKO developed.
    In addition, IC for the main amplifier driver (thick film integrated circuit), and those incorporating a resistor and a capacitor and four transistors of 13 points, has won the excellent characteristics and high reliability.

The equalizer stage of a preamplifier part, it is possible to suppress particular, has adopted the NIKKO audio linear IC, which was developed for the equalizer amplifier, it is possible to acquire a high characteristic, the ± 0.2% rate of change at -20 ℃ ~ + 85 ℃ It has been.

The tone control part has adopted two of NIKKO audio linear IC, thus ensuring excellent characteristics.

The power supply voltage, temperature compensation uses the compensation Ted varistor.

We have adopted the circuit breaker for the audio to the protection circuit.
    The NW-type circuit protector UL standard (USA), has been approved by the CSA standard (CANADA), we have won high reliability.

It is the design that was unified in FM / AM tuner FAM-14 and the same size."
    :using google translate. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    and here are the specs: Thanks so much!
    Model Integrated Amplifier
    Music power 52W (4Ω)
    51W (8Ω)
    Effective output piece-channel operation: 18.5W / 18.5W (8Ω)
    Both channel operation: 17W + 17W (8Ω)
    Frequency characteristic (IHF) Main Input: 10Hz ~ 70kHz ± 1.0dB
    Aux Input: 20Hz ~ 30kHz ± 1.0dB
    Power response (IHF) 20Hz ~ 30kHz
    Distortion of 0.6% or less (at the time of an effective output)
    Channel separation 50dB or more
    Input sensitivity / impedance Phono MAG: 2.4mV / 100kΩ
    Phono CER: 80mV / 100kΩ
    Tuner, Aux, Tape: 300mV / 100kΩ
    Tape (DIN): 300mV / 100kΩ
    Recording output DIN: 300mV
    S / N ratio Phono MAG: -65dB
    Tuner, Aux, Tape: -75dB
    Tone Control Bass: ± 12dB (70Hz)
    Treble: ± 12dB (10kHz)
    Load impedance 4Ω ~ 16Ω
    High filter (scratch) 10kHz, -10dB
    Low filter (rumble) 25Hz, -10dB
    Use semiconductor IC: 6 pieces
    Transistor: four
    Diode: two
    Varistor: four
    Power AC100V / 117V, 50 / 60Hz
    Dimensions Width 330 × height 105 × depth 260mm
    Weight 5.2kg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, the "English" morph of that site is www.audio-database.com

I really like www.audio-heritage.jp although it's kind of frustrating to look at and to see some of the Japanese hardware that was rarely if ever exported because (I suppose) that the marketing savvy of the Japanese companies figured the TransAm drivin', Pabts-swillin', polyester-wearin' Amurricans would never be interested in it.

:-P

You know, stuff like this:

model2401twin.JPG
    sb-10000.JPG
    gf-1.JPG
    fostex1.jpg
    scepter500.JPG
    els-8x-bb.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    the top speak caught my eye right away off their site.
    (get it, eye...site) :D
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ^ Randy- I've had several of those SL-23's pass thru my collection. Nice little starter tables that usually only require a new belt and you are in business. Sounds good with the newer Shure M97xe cart.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    ^ Randy- I've had several of those SL-23's pass thru my collection. Nice little starter tables that usually only require a new belt and you are in business. Sounds good with the newer Shure M97xe cart.
    Its got the Santon681EEE cart & stylus. Not sure if that stock/original. Cheap tt's do the job pretty good. Bedroom Carver set up.

Randy/Maine
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    New to the pumpkin speaker stable. DCM Time Frame 600's

tg8clhhw4mw8.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Workin' on a pair of Mirage L-750 loudspeakers. These actually belong to the guy who built our house :- ) A little quid quo pro.

Left:
    24140001459_117f162f21_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Right (see below for info on the MR):

24481568286_1f5be1c53d_b.jpg004 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

One of the midrange drivers is borked. Temporarily, I've swapped in one of the fine old 4-1/2" pincushion frame CTS drivers. The latter may be familiar to some of you from their 1970s appearances in Polk Audio Model Nine and Mini-Monitor loudspeakers :- )

The borked MR (not a CTS):

24507758715_0bd2b615a6_b.jpg006 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The right speaker with a CTS temporarily installed. The CTS is actually a bit more sensitive than the original MR, so the midrange is noticeably more forward -- heh, more Altec like ;- ) -- with the CTS driver compared to the proper driver.

24399465772_d56636fae3_b.jpg008 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    This item is not in Wardsweb or many others league. Very nice gear guys! I've had this one for many years. A Magnovox FD-2040, Made in Belgium, Philips CD-1 transport, I think a 14 bit DAC, metal tray (slow and clunky), RCA interconnects are hardwired (and very short). Very heavy unit compared to todays players. Still sounds good.
    59ledbn9bguf.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options

I am really, truly trying to de-clutter some at the old manse...
    to that end, the refoaming project mentioned above has got me on a refoaming jag.

Did a pair of (Recoton-era) Advent Baby II over the weekend. Turned out fine, cute speakers but a little treble-challenged. OK, bass-challenged too. Midrange is surprisingly good, though. I am gonna invest in a pair of decent, modern XO capacitors for 'em.

But, ne'ermind. Yesterday & today, I refoamed a pair of (also Recoton-era) Advent Legacy II. Pretty uninspiring cosmetically but fairly well built -- and well worth the effort. Kind of wooly/blurry down on the floor, but raised up a bit... they're doing quite nicely, thank you very much. Listening to Black Crowes' first album as I type this (via a pretty nice hk "twin-power" amplifier that happened to also be taking up some space here) and they're very toe-tappingly gettin' the job done.

three bad photos = one decent one? ;- )

24550058801_ed3af1a91b_b.jpg004 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24264538669_6e340cbdb5_b.jpg002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24336720260_8c255d6e74_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And all this time I thought you were an Irish Catholic. When did the Presbyterian conversion occur? lol

Legacy speakers were very popular back in the day, we would have considered buying a pair if we could have afforded them, even though they were not that expensive for ordinary mortals! But, when your diet consisted of tuna, canned peas and pasta, there were obviously budgetary constraints!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    German-English Lutheran...

16139344795_1a333d818c_b.jpgcamera collection2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Note the two wind-up Martys on the shelf in the photo above :-p