Does anyone actually dislike SDA?

Options

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I love my 2.3tls I own 3 pairs of SDA'S they put a lot of my other speakers in storage, plus I sold some of the others because of them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't think the brightness issue is as much an issue with the speakers as it is the synergy of the system. I think many go for that hi-fi sound and toss musicality out the window. I've never understood that philosophy.

Agreed Skip, some tend to put the blame solely on the speakers themselves when things don't sound so good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Another great thing about them is when you move up the ladder with gear, the SDA's improve as well, atleast with mildly modded ones. Can't say that about every speaker. So even as our gear improves you don't have to worry about the SDA's being "out classed".

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I think I share your bemusement in this arena -- since the dawn of the hifi hobby, there's been an undercurrent of preoccupation with "hifi" effects -- boom and sizzle, loud/big/ear-catching (and/or eye-catching). Thats' why, I'd opine, there were - and, in a somewhat more subtle way, still are - hifi recordings of steam engines, thunderstorms, pipe organs, and bongos in "ping-pong" stereo ;- )

Same thing applies in HT. It amazes me how many people think a good HT system demo is to make explosions.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I think I share your bemusement in this arena -- since the dawn of the hifi hobby, there's been an undercurrent of preoccupation with "hifi" effects -- boom and sizzle, loud/big/ear-catching (and/or eye-catching). Thats' why, I'd opine, there were - and, in a somewhat more subtle way, still are - hifi recordings of steam engines, thunderstorms, pipe organs, and bongos in "ping-pong" stereo ;- )

Same thing applies in HT. It amazes me how many people think a good HT system demo is to make explosions.

That can be said for car stereo too. Sounds like arse but can hit those low notes like a cannon shot.

There's an appreciation for the rest of the musical spectrum that sometimes doesn't befall people until they age a bit. Probably why not too many youngsters are into good hi-fi sound, judging by the MP3 earbud crowd anyway.

Musicality is what I shoot for in anything I add or subtract from my system. The boom and sizzle stuff is for youngsters and those with little appreciation for good sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I got no problem with SDA's. They are a great speaker. I was told I'd regret it after selling them, but that hasn't happened.

I quote a statement from ESP.

"Our belief is that a properly designed and configured system can be both highly accurate and musical at the same time, assuming well-recorded source material. Accuracy and musicality converge when a system sounds transparent without being hyped; when detail emerges clearly but in a relaxed, rather than spotlighted, fashion. This requires the right combination of electronics and speakers."

This is what I go for, details without exaggeration. I've heard plenty of live music. I want to hear instruments in experienced hands convey the emotion they are capable of. YMMV. Your definition of how to get there might be different than mine.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I would venture that SDAs are far less forgiving of poorly recorded sources and other components in the chain, than many other speakers.

I'd actually disagree with that statement. I think SDA's are quite forgiving, especially compared to today's speakers that compete with their adjusted MSRP. Everything nowadays is built for hyper-detail where SDA's are built for musicality. I think that is why they get recommended so quickly and people are so satisfied with them regardless of the gear. New speakers take some time and energy to get them dialed in with gear appropriate for their sound signatures.

Let me put a finer point on what I meant. Recordings with poor channel separation collapse the large sound field created by the SDAs. The sound field would be no different than conventional speakers, which negates the benefits of crosstalk cancelation.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options

I actually was going out of my way not to throw HT under the bus ;- )
    (I have zero interest in HT, even for music video, FWIW)
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    Options
    I like them both... SDA & Stereo. Whenever I listen to my SRT's it provides a different listening experience. Whenever I want to listen in 2ch, I just go into the spare room & sit back with a cold one & enjoy!
    This is the first time I've ever had the pleasure of having my ears on SDA's... I can say that I enjoy both types of sound...
    Frank.
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I'm actually a little surprised at myself for how much I took to the SDA thing. I've gone through several brands of speakers... Polk is my favorite family of speakers overall, and the small SDAs (2BTLs) are my favorite of those overall, though I haven't spent significant time listening to the recent flagships like the LSi(m) very much.

That said, they have their strengths and weaknesses like anything else. I totally agree with what westmassguy and others have said about the wide and enveloping soundstage when in the sweetspot. It's pretty amazing, and that, plus the musicality F1 mentioned, are the two factors that keep me hooked. But, I totally also hear what others are saying about certain recordings sounding wrong on SDAs.

I've heard that "piano all around you" effect, which probably has everything to do with how the piano was mic'd and the recording mastered, but whatever the reason it doesn't sound right and SDA makes it worse. Also, on some really dense orchestral music with a lot going on my SDA rig starts to sound muddy and congested. I don't mean just trying to separate out strings in a big classical orchestra, I get it on things like Nine Inch Nails where there are 15 layers of drums and loops shifting around the stereo field. This could be a power thing, but I've swapped out the SDAs for other power thirsty conventional speakers (like Vandersteens), and that always cleans it up. Still, they get enough right, enough of the time that they are pretty much always in my 2-channel rig, even if another pair gets set next to them temporarily.

Regarding the new vs. rebuilt XO's and etc. I actually think Polk did/does a pretty good job of putting in components that make their stock speakers sound exceptional for the money when new. I've been very pleasantly surprised by a pair of RTA-8TLs that were close to new-old-stock condition. Replacing XO components and tweeters and adding damping material improved them, but it was subtle and they were very decent to begin with for their size and design. And when I bi-wired a pair of Monitor 70's that I got new on sale for $320 to a good amp I was blown away. Completely unmodified, those sound way better than any speaker in that price range has any right to. So, I don't doubt that when new the SDAs were very impressive.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    My best friend in the audio field (recently deceased) made no bones about not liking my sda's no matter what upgrades I did. But he also made no bones about really liking the vintage Mac gear I'm using to drive them. I respect his opinion even though mine is totally opposite. I've been running sda's since 2006 and I've yet to hear anything that I like better.
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    Options
    It's interesting that I don't think anyone has mentioned the "dimensional tweeter" thing. I guess cause Polk fixed that pretty early on. I owned a pair of the original SDA 2's with the dimensional tweeter briefly, and for sure if the SDA design hadn't advanced beyond that I'd be squarely in the SDA sounds bad camp. Definitely more recordings sounded bad than good with the side-by-side tweeters.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Don't really disagree with this, just saying that the MODS people make to SDAs usually exceed the original design. The new caps and their supporting cast are leaps and bounds better than what Polk used, the Polk replacement tweeters are better than the original, the various seals, rings and internal damping used are also more than original.

Actually, it is a matter of the original parts limiting the potential of the original design.
    SDAs were ahead of their time with regard to the requirements for high current, low noise amplification and high quality crossover parts. Modded SDAs are much closer the original design goals than stock SDAs. It was a Polk engineer who frankly told me about parts that compromised performance and who recommended modifications to improve sound.

The basic design of my modded SDAs is the same. They are just realized with better parts and therefore exhibit better performance.
    cnh wrote: »
    I'd just like to hear what an original pair without all of this-or with all original parts that were not old or depleted "actually" sounds like. I'm old enough to have heard that but, frankly, the only Polks I knew of back then were the Monitor bookies that were ubiquitous in Sam Goody stores in NYC! Didn't even know about M 5s, 7s or 10s, let alone SDAs.

For a while I had a stock pair of SDA 1Cs and a modded pair. The difference between them was shocking. I also have three pairs of CRS+s and was able to do comparisons between a modded and a stock pair. Again, the difference was shocking.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Actually, it is a matter of the original parts limiting the potential of the original design.

Understood, but the same can be said about a lot of speakers. Actually, most speakers. I've been following your modification threads for years and you've invested thousands into your SDA's to unlock that potential you speak of which is great. In your eyes, I'm sure it was/is worth every penny. I'm sure there is a great deal of pride in the work you've done which makes them even more valuable to you. If you're content and happy, more power to ya. Having owned three pairs of SDA's myself, I can totally relate.

If one were to quantify the time, effort, and money, that goes into unlocking the potential of SDA speakers, one could make the argument that with that same amount of effort you could find better speakers from the start without needing to modify them. But saying something like that is tricky, mostly because better sound is so subjective and how could you possibly quantify the time that went into modding a pair of SDA's unless you were some weirdo who timed it all.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    My 2Bs, I do love them. I got them at a desperate house wife's moving sale for $50 2013. The entire modding process had such a positive effect. If you guys remember I thought I had the most perfect stock '87 2Bs out there that I awoke from a coma. Dislikes, the critical placement no tow in/out, front firing only, 7-10' spred, room to breathe rap which while not as bad as Bose 901s is a limiting factor. My ancillary gear is enough to cleanly push them but if had the chance I would go for Vandersteen 3A Sigs or Ohm/Walsh 2XOs. Still they do rule the roost and all others go down in a sliding scale... My Polk F. Sig tells tale of the tape.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    If one were to quantify the time, effort, and money, that goes into unlocking the potential of SDA speakers, one could make the argument that with that same amount of effort you could find better speakers from the start without needing to modify them.

If you are an "imaging" and "sound staging" junkie like me, then there are no other speakers with the spatial performance of SDAs. The interaural crosstalk (comb filtering effects) inherent in the design of conventional speakers limit their imaging and sound stage performance. That is why SDA loudspeakers are truthfully "true stereo" loudspeakers. I have heard some $25,000 and $35,000 loudspeakers with excellent (but not SDA-level) sound stage proportions, but the sound stage collapsed if I moved my head 1 micro-millimeter out of the razor-thin sweet spot. The sound stage of my SDA SRS 1.2TL's does not collapse if I move my head 18 inches to either side of dead center. It also does not collapse if I turn my head 90 degrees to the left or right. The sound stage is diminished, but does not collapse, even if I stand up at the listening position.

Reference what was said in Stereophile about a $120,000 pair of Sonus faber Aidas:

"But as I had found in New York, the true magic of the Aida was only to be found if you sat exactly in the sweet spot, when the speakers disappeared and the end of the room dissolved into the recorded acoustic."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-aida#mx6VIxvSaFxIzcxQ.99
    But saying something like that is tricky, mostly because better sound is so subjective and how could you possibly quantify the time that went into modding a pair of SDA's unless you were some weirdo who timed it all.

That weirdo would be me...

...but I see nothing weird about documenting the time required for a modification. In my mod reviews, I usually mention the time investment required. I always record the time I start working and the time I stop during a mod session. The total mod time for my 1.2TL's was 156.5 hours. At a reasonable electronics repair bench rate of $25/hour, the retail value of that mod labor is $3,912.50. I have spent $7,884.42 in parts. Therefore, my total modification investment is $11,796.92. When the cost of the speakers is added, my total investment exceeds $15,000.

So why not just buy a pair of $15,000 loudspeakers? The simple answer is that my modded SDA's have outperformed all of the $15,000, $20,000, $25,000, and $35,000 loudspeakers I have auditioned. Those speakers usually did one or two things better than the SDAs, but they all were deficient in sound stage properties and most were deficient in bass performance.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    I love'em, So glad I bought my RTiA9's when I did and joined the club, had I not I still wouldn't know what a SDA is.. B)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My SDA's give me eargasms. Let It Bleed 2002 remaster sounded fabulous last night on the SDA's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Marcia Ball, Irma Thomas and Tracy Nelson were center stage in my living room last night. As was Bobby "Blue" Bland.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Marcia Ball, Irma Thomas and Tracy Nelson were center stage in my living room last night. As was Bobby "Blue" Bland.

So were Al DiMeiola, John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia in mine.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    My SRT's are singing along at 99db (easily) right now & I love every minute of it!! I'm happy right now. I'll hang on to them!
    Frank.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used a digital SPL meter in the listening position. Not so sure if it was done accurately or what... but that was the number displayed. It was pretty loud & what scared me, they were begging for more juice!
    Just curious, have you guys out there measured your rigs in that manner, or have gone to higher levels??
    I apologize for the hijack.
    Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Oh yes, and much louder. Multiple times I was bouncing +/- around 110db. Unfortunately, one night I went crazy and damaged both speakers. The right speaker immediately blew the tweeter and midrange. A few months later the crossover went on the other speaker, and then a few weeks after the midrange went. Quite an expensive mistake, but everything is fine now, and I never go higher than the low 90s, max.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • transchris
    transchris Posts: 28
    Options
    I recently purchased a pair of sda2a's and I am very impressed I paid 200 and they are in very good condition. ..I am running them as mains in a 7.1 system consisting of mainly emotiva amps....could anyone tell me how the rta12'scompare to the sds2a's...????
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Oh yes, and much louder. Multiple times I was bouncing +/- around 110db. Unfortunately, one night I went crazy and damaged both speakers. The right speaker immediately blew the tweeter and midrange. A few months later the crossover went on the other speaker, and then a few weeks after the midrange went. Quite an expensive mistake, but everything is fine now, and I never go higher than the low 90s, max.

Oh lord, BlueFox!!! +/-110db???? How are your ears?? I just had mine a hair past 100db!
    I'm sorry you damaged some of the components in the speaker... but I'm glad you fixed them! That's a relief!!
    Next time the wife and kids are out, I'm going to push them a little bit more!
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options
    If one were to quantify the time, effort, and money, that goes into unlocking the potential of SDA speakers, one could make the argument that with that same amount of effort you could find better speakers from the start without needing to modify them.

If you are an "imaging" and "sound staging" junkie like me, then there are no other speakers with the spatial performance of SDAs. The interaural crosstalk (comb filtering effects) inherent in the design of conventional speakers limit their imaging and sound stage performance. That is why SDA loudspeakers are truthfully "true stereo" loudspeakers. I have heard some $25,000 and $35,000 loudspeakers with excellent (but not SDA-level) sound stage proportions, but the sound stage collapsed if I moved my head 1 micro-millimeter out of the razor-thin sweet spot. The sound stage of my SDA SRS 1.2TL's does not collapse if I move my head 18 inches to either side of dead center. It also does not collapse if I turn my head 90 degrees to the left or right. The sound stage is diminished, but does not collapse, even if I stand up at the listening position.

Reference what was said in Stereophile about a $120,000 pair of Sonus faber Aidas:

"But as I had found in New York, the true magic of the Aida was only to be found if you sat exactly in the sweet spot, when the speakers disappeared and the end of the room dissolved into the recorded acoustic."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-aida#mx6VIxvSaFxIzcxQ.99
    But saying something like that is tricky, mostly because better sound is so subjective and how could you possibly quantify the time that went into modding a pair of SDA's unless you were some weirdo who timed it all.

That weirdo would be me...

...but I see nothing weird about documenting the time required for a modification. In my mod reviews, I usually mention the time investment required. I always record the time I start working and the time I stop during a mod session. The total mod time for my 1.2TL's was 156.5 hours. At a reasonable electronics repair bench rate of $25/hour, the retail value of that mod labor is $3,912.50. I have spent $7,884.42 in parts. Therefore, my total modification investment is $11,796.92. When the cost of the speakers is added, my total investment exceeds $15,000.

So why not just buy a pair of $15,000 loudspeakers? The simple answer is that my modded SDA's have outperformed all of the $15,000, $20,000, $25,000, and $35,000 loudspeakers I have auditioned. Those speakers usually did one or two things better than the SDAs, but they all were deficient in sound stage properties and most were deficient in bass performance.

Didn't mean to call any names! I seriously had no clue you logged time. It's actually unbelievably impressive and not weird at all. Good on you for finding a pair of speakers you love that "do it" for you. Hard to argue with that.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    chefkungfu wrote: »
    I'm sorry you damaged some of the components in the speaker...

Not as sorry as he was.... trust me.

So true. That was $2400 that could have been used for beer. :).

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Didn't mean to call any names!

No offense taken.

It never would have occurred to me that someone would view documenting modding time as weird. People who do mod work for a living have to document their time so that they will know how much time the same, or a similar job, will take and how much labor time to quote for price estimates.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    chefkungfu wrote: »
    I used a digital SPL meter in the listening position. Not so sure if it was done accurately or what... but that was the number displayed. It was pretty loud & what scared me, they were begging for more juice!
    Just curious, have you guys out there measured your rigs in that manner, or have gone to higher levels??
    I apologize for the hijack.
    Frank

Peaking at 115dB with some bumps to 117dB. It didn't really sound that loud because the amp has gobs of current. Still, I'm not likely to do it again.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• On3s&Z3r0s
    Options
    Objectively, I'd say the SDA secret society would have to be considered a fringe element in the brotherhood of audio extremists. I've auditioned my SDAs for others who consider themselves audio enthusiasts. If they see the connections they ask what the extra wires are for. If I then open the cabinet containing the dreadnaught and try to explain it and SDA, it has never failed that the next words out of their mouth are, "Cool... is it worth it?" And I always have to shrug and say, "Well, define 'worth it'."

I love my SDAs when I'm sitting in the sweet spot, but I'm sure it's not an exaggeration to say I listen to them that way maybe 15% of the time. If I had to do my own accounting...
    TL upgrade to 2B's = absolutely worth it
    1000VA dreadnaught for a pair of 2BTLs and a common ground amp = definitely not worth it
    Larry's rings (hurricane nuts a close second, which I used for tweeters before brackets) = worth it
    Letting Sonic caps burn in before judging = worth it
    Custom ordered inductors = worth it
    Tony's boards - beautiful, so easy to work with, not needed for 2B's but glad they're now part of the package
    Crazy expensive binding posts and decent quality speaker wire = worth it
    Spikes = worth it
    Dynamat = actually don't hear the difference but don't begrudge it
    Blackhole 5 = bit of a mixed bag, but it's there now

All things considered, having a list of that length, effort, and obsessiveness or greater (which pales in comparison to many) = unequivocally weird

I think for most of us, SDAs would have to disappoint us something fierce for us to not love them after all that.