Does anyone actually dislike SDA?

Options
I want to know why! What did you hear that your ears weren't so fond of?
Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

Comments

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options
    I really enjoyed my SDA's but here's what I was not fond of. I never liked the mid bass much. To me it felt soft & lacked definition. One other member agreed with me on this but him and I are in the minority. I owned SDA-2BTL's and CRS+'s, both fully modded. Also, I always felt like the RD0-194, and RD0-198 tweeters lacked extension compared to other speakers that came through my rig.

I'd love to hear some of the highly modded big boys like DarqueKnight's SDA's. I have a feeling I'd change my mind about the mid bass in those systems heh.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,058
    Options
    I don't actively dislike them -- but I prefer the smaller, simpler Polk loudspeakers of their early "Monitor Series". De gustibus non est disputandum.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I've been told by a couple of people who had them and gotten
    rid of them that they move around to much and didn't like the
    sound moving out of the sweet spot. FWIW. :|
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    "De gustibus non est disputandum" this saying has helped
    me a lot mhardy. Now about those speakers you have B)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    Options
    I don't prefer them. I had the SDA-2b's and thought when I purchased the brand new at the time RT1000p's , they out performed them in every way. The 2b's before I owned the RT1000p's I actually liked a lot. But you don't know until you compare side by side.
    Not many on this forum dislike SDA , it's not that I don't like the way they sound , I've heard the bigger models sound wonderful. I just prefer a different style of sound.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    The only thing I really don't like about them is placement. Yes, they have to placed, and spaced, correctly or they don't sound any better than anything else. Maybe worse than some other speakers. Plus you absolutely have to be in the sweet spot. Of course you need the "room" as well. Most don't have the room flexibility SDA's need. IMHO SDA's need all the above or the point of owning them is moot. This is the reason I like the smaller SDA's, easier to work with.

Right now I have the room and space but I have other speakers should I "not" have either in the future...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Oh i love my SDA's :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Me too, like mine!
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SDAs require a LOT more WORK than almost anything else I've owned. Everyone here MODS them so they are almost never running STOCK SDAs-which is a tad disingenuous. And the space requirements are very tight so that most of us who live in really OLD houses have trouble finding that one WALL with at least 14' of uninterrupted space. They sound fine, but all this other stuff means that mine are never doing constant duty, they're in a rotation and spend most of their time in the closet.

If I had a bigger space that would be different. So I have an ambivalent relationship with them. And the wife? Well that's another story that also keeps them in storage most of the time. lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The SDA technology is great. However, I feel for some music it becomes gimmicky. The problem is the music is not recorded to optimize the SDA effect, therefore some instruments, such as pianos, become much larger than they would be in real life.

DSkip,

Great comment. I've noticed that my SDA SRS1.2tls, heavily mod'd, often make a piano appear to cover the entire soundstage. Not on all recordings, but some.

I'd never really been able to put my finger n the phenomenon, but you did ti for me.

Thank you.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Don't dislike them, they are what they are and they sound good too. Until you get some ears on a bunch of stuff though, the SDA sound to me anyway sounds a tad clouded and dated.

If all you've heard is SDA's or similar, I can see where some are just happy campers and want to stay where they are at. Nuthin' wrong with that either, what ever floats your boat and curls your sack.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    So that is what's wrong with my sack.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    What I disliked, and started me on other speakers, is cosmetic. The darn side panels on my SDA-2s warped off, and the cloth came off. I tried to glue them back on, but the warping was too severe, and once the cloth came off my patience expired. I replaced them with PSB Synschrony One speakers, and was very happy with that improvement in sound. Also, proper placement is difficult in my current home.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    So that is what's wrong with my sack.

See what wearing skinny jeans will do to ya... ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Herk
    Herk Posts: 24
    Options
    If the sda srs where a women id habe sex with her every night in every position lol. I might not have a phd in hi fi. So im not gonna be o this is better then that. They sound great, they look great, their used prices are great. Their is always something better no matter what hobby we have. Today speakers have years of techonlogy in em. But todays speaker is the size of walnut. Im old fashion go big or go home.
  • villian
    villian Posts: 412
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the actual SDA models, but my SRTs sound soft, and lose definition in the 2khz and above range when running in SDA mode. I am just trying it for the first time, so of course there's a ton of small things and adjustments to be made.. But my first impression was that while my Soundstage definitely improved.. Widened and had more depth, the clarity and overall brightness was reduced noticeably. I think for movies this is no big deal, but for music it bugs me a little. I have a fully treated theater room, but I also do not have anywhere near the room or wall space that the SRTs or any SDAs demand to truly hear them at their finest. Hence I'm still interested in SDA and won't discredit it one bit.. It's just that it's not very impressive in my current setup. I mean.. 140dbs of SDA audio is impressive either way.. But I think you guys understand what I'm getting at? ;)
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    Options
    Reduced brightness is a God send. That's one of the things I hate about a good deal of todays speakers, ultra detailed ear piercing highs at the cost of musicality. Live music doesn't sound like that. Speaking of musicality, that is the SDA strong suit. I've yet to hear a speaker that does it better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I don't actively dislike them -- but I prefer the smaller, simpler Polk loudspeakers of their early "Monitor Series". De gustibus non est disputandum.

but In matters of taste, there can be no disputes!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,084
    edited July 2015
    Options
    villian wrote: »
    I want to know why! What did you hear that your ears weren't so fond of?

I think part of the problem for some, is that it can be a big departure from the typical "stereo" sound people are used to. When in fact SDA's recreate the source material more realistically in most instances than a left and right stereo signal or artificial digital processing (surround sound)

The concept is based upon a real aural phenomenon and it attempts to mitigate said phenomenon by acoustic means.

It's not trickery or unnatural, it's much more how you hear sound in everyday life.

But, if you are used to over processed 7 channel digital manipulation or a typical left and right stereo speaker, SDA's can sound quite out of the norm and I think people rail against them thinking they are a foreign sound, when in fact they are closer to natural sound than most set-ups.

Of course they are highly sensitive to source material and the recording process.

Live music playback, I have yet to hear a system, surround sound or not, that compares to the realism.

Check out the Cowboy Junkies Live DVD in Long Journey Home release on SDA's, freaking religious experience on SDA's. Like you are in the 2nd or 3rd row.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Having to move mine twice i dislike the weight. But they sound great.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    Options
    ^ Well stated Brock ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,084
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    SDAs require a LOT more WORK than almost anything else I've owned. Everyone here MODS them so they are almost never running STOCK SDAs-which is a tad disingenuous. And the space requirements are very tight so that most of us who live in really OLD houses have trouble finding that one WALL with at least 14' of uninterrupted space. They sound fine, but all this other stuff means that mine are never doing constant duty, they're in a rotation and spend most of their time in the closet.

If I had a bigger space that would be different. So I have an ambivalent relationship with them. And the wife? Well that's another story that also keeps them in storage most of the time. lol

Stock SDA's have old, worn parts in the x-over. It's only logical to replace with updated caps and resistors.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    I've tried to go listen to quite a few newer designs. I'm not impressed, most of them sound shrill to me or lacking in the powerful lower end. These have been with me 25 years. I'm sure there is something out there for a whole lots of money but I just couldn't part with them and have another payment or bill.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    My stock 2.3' are on a dedicated 30' wall couldn't be happier, they do what they were designed to do.. Make the music sound like the artist meant it to be, beautiful!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I remember my dads 2.3's sounding fantastic to me. The reason I even got into this hobby.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2015
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    cnh wrote: »

Stock SDA's have old, worn parts in the x-over. It's only logical to replace with updated caps and resistors.

Don't really disagree with this, just saying that the MODS people make to SDAs usually exceed the original design. The new caps and their supporting cast are leaps and bounds better than what Polk used, the Polk replacement tweeters are better than the original, the various seals, rings and internal damping used are also more than original. I'd just like to hear what an original pair without all of this-or with all original parts that were not old or depleted "actually" sounds like. I'm old enough to have heard that but, frankly, the only Polks I knew of back then were the Monitor bookies that were ubiquitous in Sam Goody stores in NYC! Didn't even know about M 5s, 7s or 10s, let alone SDAs.

I believe Sam had mini-monitors in there, but with the SL-2000 tweeter, if there was such a thing? Most pics, like the one below, have the Peerless. But now I'm just rambling off topic. Sorry about that!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    SDAs ability to cancel interaural crosstalk is what sold me. On a well recorded track, the sound envelopes you, extending well beyond the speakers, and in some cases wraps around you. Close your eyes, and you can pinpoint, the instruments and vocals quite easily. Only one other loudspeaker system I've heard, whose name shall not be mentioned, approaches this enveloping sound.
    Carver's Sonic Holography addressed interaural crosstalk cancellation electronically, and could be used with any loudspeaker system. The Sweet Spot was even narrower than SDAs unfortunately.
    SDAs are unique with respect to interaural crosstalk cancelation, but in almost every other aspect, they are not. All conventional speakers require proper setup, toe-in, distance from the back wall, sidewalls, listening position, room acoustics and size are just as important with other loudspeakers as they are with SDAs. Let's not forget everything upstream either. Garbage in, Garbage out. From the source, to every component in the chain, all affect what you hear. I would venture that SDAs are far less forgiving of poorly recorded sources and other components in the chain, than many other speakers.
    Just my two cents.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I'm listening to music in the sweet spot, I'm constantly amazed at the precision of the soundstage and the detail I hear, even on old recordings. My 2.3TL's allow instruments to have an aural spread similar to what I hear live in a good auditorium. In other words when drums are struck the sound decays naturally, same with cymbals. Piano notes and chords resonate with a rich fullness.

Funny thing is while each instrument or vocal is recreated with a full measure of the sound of that instrument, there's little congestion. Everything is clear. I suppose what this all adds up to is it enables me to listen to the emotion of the performance as much as the technical aspects of the recording. This is my favorite thing about SDA technology.

I confess that mine are heavily modded. The rig has lots of power filtering and other tweaks as well.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,058
    edited July 2015
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

but In matters of taste, there can be no disputes!

or, as it is often rendered in English (and slightly more confrontationally, I'd opine):
    There's no accounting for taste

;- )
    DSkip wrote: »
    ... I think many go for that hi-fi sound and toss musicality out the window. I've never understood that philosophy.

I think I share your bemusement in this arena -- since the dawn of the hifi hobby, there's been an undercurrent of preoccupation with "hifi" effects -- boom and sizzle, loud/big/ear-catching (and/or eye-catching). Thats' why, I'd opine, there were - and, in a somewhat more subtle way, still are - hifi recordings of steam engines, thunderstorms, pipe organs, and bongos in "ping-pong" stereo ;- )

... and then there is music.

(and, for the record, I'll cop to owning a few "hifi demonstration" recordings, old and new)