Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I use through-hole Rubber Feet on the ones I make, others have spiked them. You can buy the stick-on Rubber Feet too, if you never intend to move it. I don't like using that type, because they tend to shift around, and the adhesive isn't usually that strong
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I have spikes on one Dreadnought and through-hole rubber feet on the other.

The one with spikes sits on 3/4" MDF on am industrial shelf system that holds my heavy gear in the basement.

The one with rubber feet sits on a wire shelving system whose shelves I shall one day cover with 3/4" MDF. Then, I shall also replace the rubber feet with spikes.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I used spikes
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Picked up my A-L xformers today from the Post Office after finding the weathered USPS notice that had blown in to the landscaping. Have most all parts ready for assembly. Need to find time to get assembly done.. work hasn't been kind.. but I need to burn a bunch of vacation before year's end so should find time to 1) assemble the dreadnoughts & 2) assemble the 2C's with all the upgrades during this last two months of the year! Happy Christmas to me!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I presently have my dreadnaught sitting on it's own shelf and on it's side. Is this the preferred resting position or should I spike it on the wider and more stable bottom?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I presently have my dreadnaught sitting on it's own shelf and on it's side. Is this the preferred resting position or should I spike it on the wider and more stable bottom?

Some people hear an improvement in sound quality with the Dreadnought on its side. If you do not hear a difference between the two orientations, then there is no reason to put it on its side.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Mine has made a huge difference. It has about 5 days of time on it now.

Great upgrade to say the least!!!
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    It's surprising how much of a difference 3 more days made to the sound quality. thumbsup.gif

It think it should be almost be fully burnt in by now. excuseme.gif

My tenant just loves me... My rigs been running 24/7 plus some. lol.gif

DarqueKnight you nailed this mod dead on, plain and simple... Great job!!! notworthy.gif

Now I just need to save up for the next group buy. I picked up some 3.1TL's and it totally transforms the sound of those also. smirk.gif
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• motorstereo
    Mine has just over 150 hours on it now. I haven't really noticed much change over the last few days. But I do continue to be amazed at the upgrade in sound the dreadnaught has given me.
    Yesterday's project was to make a sturdy stand for it as the wall shelf just wasn't cutting it. I also spiked the box and soldered all my connections. Thanks once again to everyone that made this happen. One very happy camper here to ae73zyhsjayl.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Would you mind describing how you built that stand?

It looks pretty cool! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• motorstereo
    Would you mind describing how you built that stand?

It looks pretty cool! :)
    Thanks but it's really nothing fancy. I wanted something stable and a wall mounted shelf just didn't look right to me. I also think the dreadnaught certainly is deserving of it's own stand to.
    The base is one of those ubiquitous stands with the adjustable belt used for keeping people in line at banks, turnstiles etc. It's heavy yet the base is not too big around so I can get it close to the wall. Some fellow had several of them at our local flea last week and I took home 3 of them. I used a pipe cutter to cut the top retractable belt piece off. Then I mounted a leftover seat base from my boat for the top. I rattle canned the seat base and screwed a piece of scrap mdf to it. I've got to adjust the height down a bit then I'll rattle can the top and fill the tube with sand for even more stability.
  • Moose68Bash
    Improvisation! I love improvisation! Well done.

Now, let me betray my ignorance: What does "rattle can" mean? Does it mean that you painted the seat base with spray paint?

Thank you for the detailed description of the "build." All I need to do is to find some surplus "line control" stands -- for lack of a better term.

I want to build stands for a pair of vintage Allison 6 speakers that need to be elevated and backed up against a wall. Yours look very sturdy and about the right height. And, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them! :)

Thanks, again.

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Rattle can = spray paint in a can as opposed to using a gun with a compressor.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • motorstereo
    Improvisation! I love improvisation! Well done.

Now, let me betray my ignorance: What does "rattle can" mean? Does it mean that you painted the seat base with spray paint?

Thank you for the detailed description of the "build." All I need to do is to find some surplus "line control" stands -- for lack of a better term.

I want to build stands for a pair of vintage Allison 6 speakers that need to be elevated and backed up against a wall. Yours look very sturdy and about the right height. And, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them! :)

Thanks, again.
    Yes just like drumminman mentioned it's just a can of black spray paint. And yes thanks; that's a good description of the stand as "improvised". It does serve the purpose quite well, didn't cost much, and it was a fun build as well.
    If you're ever down this way I have a pair of those line control stands (minus the boat seat mounts) that are excess to my needs. They're yours for the asking. I'm sure with a little "improvisation" they would work great with your Allisons.
    I do believe it's time for me to give back a little karma to another polkie after all that I've received mostly from this thread.
  • motorstereo
    Does anyone else have a pic of how they have their dreadnaught mounted?
  • Moose68Bash
    Here is a picture of one of my Dreadnought's before I soldered the connections to the binding posts, but after I mounted the transformer in the enclosure. As you can see, I used spikes on the bottom, and the enclosure rests on "bottom" rather than the side. The enclosure itself is anodized 3/8" aluminum plate.

8b3jv3mq41ci.jpg

Following is a picture of the fully assembled Dreadnought sitting on a set of wire shelves I used to test my rig before I put all the components in their permanent locatio

t9tqz1w5lqn6.jpg
    ns.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    You could conceivably hang it on the wall, up and out of the way. The Bose WB-3 Wall Brackets I used for my surrounds would hold it. The part that attaches to the wall would have to have blocking behind it, or a stud.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • I'm just assembling the dreadnought today after finally getting around to ordering all of the screws and connectors, so no pictures of the mounting/shelving arrangement yet. I plan to put it in the basement below the listening space! To illustrate what I mean, here is a diagram: ms32229th850.png

Basically I plan to put my electronics in a sideboard type cabinet on the edge of the room to increase the WAF, and run the speaker wires under the floor through orange 'resi-gard' tube and 'brush' wall plates that allow the wires to pass through. The dreadnought does not need to be located near the amp - it's ideal location in terms of wiring is centred between the two speakers. It also does not have any kind of controls or display, so it does not need to be very accessible. I'm planning to buy a grey plastic electrical junction box slightly larger than it, connect the orange tubing to that box, and install the dreadnought inside it
  • Moose68Bash
    The permanent "resting place" for my Dreadnought is also in my basement, centered under the speakers on the floor above. It sits on 3/4" MDF on industrial shelving. My monoblock amplifiers are also on this shelving, along with a Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0 power conditioner. My DAC, CD transport, and preamp are in a built-in cabinet between the speakers in the room above.

• motorstereo
    Thanks for showing the pics Phil. 3/8 aluminum! Wow now that is one heckuva solid box. I like your idea of using the weight plates for a secure base even though it is only temporary.
  • Moose68Bash
    The Dreadnought, as built, weighs in at about 45#. I designed it, ordered the aluminum plate, and commissioned the machining before I learned about Larry's enclosures, one of which I used for my second Dreadnought.

I went a bit overboard on the 3/8" aluminum because DK's research and testing found that more aluminum shielding produced better sonic performance. I suspect that after 1/8" or even 1/6" you may pass the point of diminishing returns.

But, I suspect mine Dreadnought, like many others not he Forum, is unique and it works! :)

• If anyone is selling a 800VA unit please message me. Thank you.
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    Why stop at 1000va? I have a line on medical grade toroidal isolation transformers up to 2500va. Not cheap, about $350.00 but perhaps even further benefits. I'm waiting to get all the specs. That 1000va Avel unit is way off on inductance in relation to the specs put forward by Matthew Polk. Everyone is raving about how great they sound though. Inductance changes the low freq hand over to the Sda drivers, so the low end is going to be "voiced" by the inductance of the isolation transformer. I think MP said 14mh was ideal, the Avel unit is much higher than that. Maybe it doesn't make an audible difference? I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous lol.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • Mr_Hz
    Allstock... interesting development there... Please post when you have more info. At some point I'm sure there's a diminishing return on investment, but where that is, I'm no SME to comment.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Mr_Hz
    Run silent, run deep .... ??? Any additional posts on advancement/bringing units up in to service?

Will admit I've got a couple of minor issues before I'm able to complete my Dreadnaughts... mostly what's left is to drill the holes on the machined aluminium face plates around the 1" holes to secure the Speakon connectors. I have the copper & dynamat layers ready to install after applying a layer of primer & paint on the inside aluminum end plates, Peavy rubber feet, some dialetric material and attachment hardware to complete installation. Getting close... more info and pics to follow shortly.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    Why stop at 1000va?

This is not just any 1000VA transformer, it is a low noise design specifically made for audio. In fact, it was designed for an audio company to be used in an amplifier.
    Maybe it doesn't make an audible difference?

It does, for the better. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    F1 I don't think it's original purpose was for a power amp, it's a 1:1 ratio transformer. Perhaps a power conditioner. Other than for isolation a 1:1 transformer does not have many practical purposes. Work has been stupid busy and I haven't had much time to fiddle with the rig lately. I have been doing quite a bit of reading and talking to local companies who manufacture toroidal transformers. There is a lot to learn about this interesting subject.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    Ya know, I'm probably wrong about its use, but I do know it was designed for an audio company.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Moose68Bash
    edited November 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ya know, I'm probably wrong about its use, but I do know it was designed for an audio company.

My memory is the same as F1nut's, and I believe it was DarqueKnight who first procured the A-L 1000VA transformer from Avel-Lindberg's excess production for the industrial customer for whom the transformer was specifically designed and manufactured.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2014
    allstock wrote: »
    F1 I don't think it's original purpose was for a power amp, it's a 1:1 ratio transformer. Perhaps a power conditioner. Other than for isolation a 1:1 transformer does not have many practical purposes.

I agree that the AV-047528 was most likely developed for use in a power conditioning role. Avel Lindberg wouldn't say specifically. This is the answer I received from them:

"This unit is a special power transformer design specifically for an audio application to ensure quiet operation at 50/60 Hz. Specifics about the design would be proprietary."

I suspect that the AL-047528's higher performance is due more to its low noise properties than its power handling capability. I do think the ability to handle higher amplitude bass transients is also an important factor.
    Why stop at 1000va? I have a line on medical grade toroidal isolation transformers up to 2500va.

I evaluated a 1000VA Plitron medical grade transformer here:

Plitron 1000VA Transformer Evaluation

Looking forward to your results. I wanted to try a 1500 VA Antek transformer, but I could never get them to respond to my questions.
    That 1000va Avel unit is way off on inductance in relation to the specs put forward by Matthew Polk. Everyone is raving about how great they sound though. Inductance changes the low freq hand over to the Sda drivers, so the low end is going to be "voiced" by the inductance of the isolation transformer. I think MP said 14mh was ideal, the Avel unit is much higher than that. Maybe it doesn't make an audible difference?

Maybe. Or maybe it makes an audible difference for the better. It definitely sounds better than all the alternatives I have tried.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!