Tidal HiFi launched today! CD quality streaming

I just got the email that Tidal HiFi launched today, free 7 or 30 day trial depending if you signed up early or not. I'm excited to see what the interface is like. Anyone else checking this out?
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Eh...not really. Everyone and their brother has cd quality streaming. Those that offer higher rez streaming is whats being sought after.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Who is everyone and their brother? I knew about qobuz but that wasn't really available in the U.S.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • tonyb
    Yeah, I was thinking devices....not streaming services, sorry about that. I know Qobuz does and maybe Deezer. 20 bucks a month though is double the cost over 320 mb services.

If your going to use it as your main rig source, might be worth the money, but for casual listening....not so sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I figure I could spend a lot more per month on CDs or downloads. So far the app is very intuitive and finally gives me an easy way to see what I listened to previously as well as rearrange and add new tracks to the queue - something that has been hard to use or just missing from some other streaming services I've tried. I won't be able to judge audio quality till I'm at home later.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I'm in and testing.... seems like lossless playback is only available for Chrome OS...Will it be available for players like Logitech Squeezbox...

Very good audio quality so far tho.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • I've only used on iOS so far - there is an icon for "hifi" and options for audio quality - separate settings for streaming and downloaded music too.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Will it be available for players like Logitech Squeezbox...

Not gonna happen as Logitech stopped updating the software, so it if shows up its because someone from the Logitech forums hacked the software to make it so......

Same reason Beats stopped working once it turned off MOG.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    I've only used on iOS so far - there is an icon for "hifi" and options for audio quality - separate settings for streaming and downloaded music too.

Does it allow you to set to "FLAC 1411" in settings on IOS?

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey- there are three audio quality settings - normal, high, and HiFi. Normal is AAC +96kbps, high is AAC 320kbps, and HiFi is 1411kbps 44.1 FLAC and ALAC - FLAC to Android and ALAC for Apple.
  • Mikey081057
    Cool

• tonyb
    Funny how 16/44 is now being called hi-fi. Marketing gents.

I'm actually happy to see streaming services going this route as I'm fairly happy with cd quality anything. Just not happy they feel a need to charge double. I'll wait until Sonos carries it then give it a whirl. I like the software on the Sonos above all others so far anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    I'm wondering if the Polk Omni/Deftech W Adapt will support Tidal or how you would stream Tidal to one of these? Will you require an app? Will it be native to the device? Both of these products releases have been delayed and information is lagging behind that. Is it me or does anyone else feel that when you go to research into something being able to work with something else or not, you get a lot of wishy washy Bravo Sierra non answers.

• Mikey081057
    Here is the press release:

OSLO, Norway, Oct. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- TIDAL, the first high fidelity lossless music streaming service with HD music videos and curated editorial, today announced the launch and availability of its service in the U.S. and UK. The ideal service for those who care about quality, TIDAL welcomes music lovers to enjoy its extensive library of 25 million-plus tracks, 75,000 music videos, and curated editorial articles, features and interviews written by experts. Ad free and available now for a monthly subscription of $19.99/£19.99, visit www.tidalhifi.com or download the app from iTunes App Store or the Google Play Store.

TIDAL has spent considerable time building up its extensive catalogue of lossless HiFi-quality music and music videos. With distribution agreements signed with all of the major labels, including Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, TIDAL has also been working with many independent labels to offer a comprehensive catalogue that includes a wide range of genres to suit all musical tastes. TIDAL has also signed agreements with licensing organizations PRS for Music for the UK and ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and Harry Fox Agency for the U.S.

Available across iOS, Android, network players, and PC/Macs, TIDAL offers high fidelity, lossless sound quality, a prerequisite to enjoying music the way it was intended by the artists. Streaming at more than four times the bit rate of competitive services, users are able to enjoy TIDAL on a wide range of the world's finest home and portable audio products. Possibly the most eagerly anticipated music streaming service by the audio industry, partnership and integration agreements have already been made with 34 of the world's most respected audio brands, including: Anthem, Airable by Tune In Media, Astell & Kern, Audeze, Audiovector, AudioQuest, Auralic, Aurender, Bel Canto, Bluesound & NAD, Dan D'Agostino, Definitive Technology, Denon HEOS, DTS Play-Fi, Dynaudio, Electrocompaniet, Harman Omni, HiFiAkademie, ickStream, JH Audio, Linn, McIntosh, Meridian, MartinLogan, Paradigm, Polk, Pro-ject, PS Audio, Raumfeld, Simple Audio, Sonos, Steinway Lyngdorf, Wren Sound Systems with more to come.

More than just a music service, TIDAL users also have access to unique editorial created by music journalists and industry insiders. Ideal for those wishing to find out more about their favorite artists or for those looking to find new music, TIDAL's expertly curated editorial includes album spotlights and daily updated features, including artist interviews, daily news articles, playlists and close-ups on artists, labels, sub-genres and historical eras. Weekly playlists also present highlights from the week's new releases and top recommended tracks.

"We are delighted that TIDAL has launched and that music lovers can now appreciate music the way it is meant to sound," said TIDAL CEO Andy Chen. "But the music is just one part of the service. The expert editorial educates, entertains and enriches the music experience while the music videos complement the music perfectly. We are sure that TIDAL will quickly become the music streaming service of choice for all who appreciate high quality at every level."

As an advertisement-free, lossless, CD-quality music and music video streaming service with extensive curated editorial expertise, TIDAL is available now in the the U.S. and UK for a monthly subscription of $19.99/£19.99. To experience high fidelity streaming, visit the TIDAL website at www.tidalhifi.com. TIDAL is initially tailored for the U.S. and UK markets.

Notes to Editors

TIDAL music streaming experience at a glance:

More than 25 million music tracks
    Lossless quality (FLAC/ALAC 44.1kHz / 16 bit - 1411 kbps)
    More than 75,000 music videos
    Curated Editorial provided by experienced music journalists and industry experts
    Dedicated apps available for iOS and Android phones and tablets
    Web player for PC/MAC
    Support for a wide range of home music network players

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    HiFi streaming is coming...it's a slow train a comin, but it will get here eventually.

There are a few sites as Tony mentioned that have just broken through to the US, and the going rate seems to be $20 per month. I have yet to try them as I'm still working on a streaming source for my main rig, but plan to do so when I get the chance.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I'm always up for a new music app, for the sheer hell of it I'm gonna check it out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Definitely great AQ and I have a trial and I am liking it. Trying to figure out options on how to test stream to my 2chan rig.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I'm on the fence when it comes to services like this, I want to support the idea of higher quality audio but given how I use them $20 is a bit too much. I can't really complain about the price though, it makes sense that you'd pay more for a service like this because you're getting better quality, and the data they're sending you is larger and they'd need to factor that into their pricing.

As 'digital' as I am these days I'm still not big on subscription services though, especially for my music. I was a MOG user and have transitioned over to Beats, but I primarily use that to discover new music (Beats is fantastic for this by the way and I prefer their curated approach over something like Spotify). Once I've found new music I like there though I end up going out and buying the album, so for me the sound quality of the streaming service isn't a big deal as long as it's good enough for what I need.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2014
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    HiFi streaming is coming...it's a slow train a comin, but it will get here eventually.

There are a few sites as Tony mentioned that have just broken through to the US, and the going rate seems to be $20 per month. I have yet to try them as I'm still working on a streaming source for my main rig, but plan to do so when I get the chance.

Paul, give me a call but given your Squeezebox, I'd suggest Spotify as its a service that has an app for the Squeezebox already..... otherwise you may need to look at Sonos, but you drop the bitrate to 16/44.1 for your higher rez stuff....
    I'm on the fence when it comes to services like this, I want to support the idea of higher quality audio but given how I use them $20 is a bit too much. I can't really complain about the price though, it makes sense that you'd pay more for a service like this because you're getting better quality, and the data they're sending you is larger and they'd need to factor that into their pricing.

As 'digital' as I am these days I'm still not big on subscription services though, especially for my music. I was a MOG user and have transitioned over to Beats, but I primarily use that to discover new music (Beats is fantastic for this by the way and I prefer their curated approach over something like Spotify). Once I've found new music I like there though I end up going out and buying the album, so for me the sound quality of the streaming service isn't a big deal as long as it's good enough for what I need.

Interesting... I tried beats and couldnt stand it, but normally I was wanting to hear specific stuff, not a mix.

I found the interface counter intuitive and hard to navigate, and FORGET about the web interface...

That said, for now I'm going to just use Pandora (free cause I'm cheap) and load my phone up with music that I already have which is a large amount.

I figure for the cost of Beats a month, I can buy a CD or two or three of stuff I found that I like off Pandora, rip it to my library and if needed copy to my phone....

Maybe I will dabble again in the subscription streaming stuff, but losing MOG hurt as I really liked their entire user experience....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • I miss MOG too! So far Tidal is the closest thing as far as the interface I've found. I tried it out on the two channel last night and it definitely sounds better than spotify. I'll do a shootout against some CDs sometime soon.
  • I simplified my whole setup and went Columbia House "record" Club.
    r0uzke6aacz3.jpeg
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423

Paul, give me a call but given your Squeezebox, I'd suggest Spotify as its a service that has an app for the Squeezebox already..... otherwise you may need to look at Sonos, but you drop the bitrate to 16/44.1 for your higher rez stuff....

I sold my duet and soon my boom, so I am looking at SONOS. I think that Deezer Elite is currently SONOS exclusive, and I'm waiting to hear the general consensus on that.

Not in a big hurry either way. I got some slabs o' wax to keep me company :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    It looks like Tidal also uses a curated approach similar to how Beats works, seems like a nice setup.

I agree on the Beats interface itself, I don't like it very much but the curated suggestions are nice and work well.
  • tonyb
    markmarc wrote: »

Not really a review, more so an advertising. Seems though for me anyway, the "curated" approach is a turn off.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    So I connected a pc to my Marantz SA8004 PC/USB port and my initial impression is very good.

I have tested vs Spotify thru the SQBOX Touch and there is a noticeable difference is SQ... I will check later to see how it sounds vs redbook CD using the same player, but don't imagine their will be much if any difference as it sounds pretty f'in good. I sent a question to Polk Support regarding Tidal Streaming thru the Omni P1 and they haven't gotten back to us yet... I actually like the look of the Def Tech unit better but it is a hundy more than the Polk.

• Mikey081057
    Looks like sometime in 2015 for Tidal on Omni...

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    I'm really excited that services/products like this are starting to become more and more available. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I have a premium Spotify account, and while the 320kbps MP3's are fine, it's really rad to be able to have lossless streaming! I'm listening now and so far it sounds great (why wouldn't it?). If I could figure out how to stream to my Oppo 105D I'd honestly be set.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Can you create and save playlists with these services? For example, you have favorite songs for drinking beer on a Friday night, so you just run that playlist.

I assume with these streaming services it is impossible to save a song to a hard drive. Is that correct?

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    edited October 2014
    Correct Fox, that's copying and a no-no. You can save any song in a playlist/favorites and so forth but they won't let you copy to a hard drive. None that I'm aware of anyway.

I'm waiting to get some user reviews on this. Particularly interested in the performance as in drop outs. Most do pretty well with little to no drop outs but others can be notorious for them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Both Spotify and Tidal let you store things offline on your mobile devices so you can listen to stuff while you are on a plane. I think spotify has 3,333 songs per account that you can listen to offline..not sure of the tidal limit is