Tidal HiFi launched today! CD quality streaming

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes. Some Motorola from Comcast. Works mostly fine for my needs, but there are two issues. One, I rent it. Two, and this does bug me, if I lose Internet access then the wireless also stops working. Since I control my file player over the home net, not having wireless makes the control app useless.

Just did the speed test and I'm using a Motorola by Comcast. Dismal to say the least. Download speed is 3.54 mbps and upload is 4.17 mbps.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    Wow nice improvement... Yeah the new routers can give you much better download speeds.

Just so you guys know, I'm paying for 100mbps down / 10mbps up, so I'm all maxed out. Got the new modem you recommended Mikey and had my ISP configure it from their end.

No speed increase at all, but it's good to know I'm up to date there. Actually about 10mbps slower with the new modem lol. Guess I had a decent one already.

My next plan up would be their "Ultimate" package which offers 150mps down / 20mbps up. Don't think it's worth it right now.
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes. Some Motorola from Comcast. Works mostly fine for my needs, but there are two issues. One, I rent it. Two, and this does bug me, if I lose Internet access then the wireless also stops working. Since I control my file player over the home net, not having wireless makes the control app useless.

Just did the speed test and I'm using a Motorola by Comcast. Dismal to say the least. Download speed is 3.54 mbps and upload is 4.17 mbps.

Dude, that's really bad. Couldn't work with that for my business.

BTW, the new Modem isn't a "dual band" enabled, so I'm wondering if this is hurting my router in any way? The next model up would have been "dual band" ready. I guess the numbers don't lie but I'm OCD about these things.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Back to the topic, I want to close out by saying that Tidal is absolutely fantastic sounding and if you have a worthy desktop system, you will be one happy camper. Like I said before, this is exactly what I have been waiting for. I really wish it was $10 instead of $20 but I've already discovered a few amazing albums and hearing them like this makes it worth it. I even started a playlist full of albums that were recorded 100% to analog tape. Sounds wonderful.

I'll also plug these speakers one last time... the first gen Emotiva Airmotiv 4's are such a fun, smallish, desktop speaker to listen to. They have punch, they crank, and the ribbon tweeters are soooo good. $284 for the second generations... stupid good price for some amazing speakers.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Back to the topic, I want to close out by saying that Tidal is absolutely fantastic sounding and if you have a worthy desktop system, you will be one happy camper. Like I said before, this is exactly what I have been waiting for. I really wish it was $10 instead of $20 but I've already discovered a few amazing albums and hearing them like this makes it worth it. I even started a playlist full of albums that were recorded 100% to analog tape. Sounds wonderful.

Yeah I am on the fence at 20 bucks. My other issue is at work I am using the wireless from the office below us which can be quirky... And given the file size I'd prefer not to be sucking these down with my LTE signal (which is just as quirky thanks to a all steel building).... I had problems streaming with MOG & Beats due to the building here at work. No issues w either at home..... but again 20 bucks thats a bit steep IMHO....

10 bucks I would be all over it.
    I'll also plug these speakers one last time... the first gen Emotiva Airmotiv 4's are such a fun, smallish, desktop speaker to listen to. They have punch, they crank, and the ribbon tweeters are soooo good. $284 for the second generations... stupid good price for some amazing speakers.

I am curious how those sound right up against a wall since they are rear ported. Other than that they look interesting compared to the AudioEngine A5's.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • audiocr381ve
    Options

Yeah I am on the fence at 20 bucks. My other issue is at work I am using the wireless from the office below us which can be quirky... And given the file size I'd prefer not to be sucking these down with my LTE signal (which is just as quirky thanks to a all steel building).... I had problems streaming with MOG & Beats due to the building here at work. No issues w either at home..... but again 20 bucks thats a bit steep IMHO....

10 bucks I would be all over it.

I am curious how those sound right up against a wall since they are rear ported. Other than that they look interesting compared to the AudioEngine A5's.....

I'll just say that I dealt with a few drop-outs before I upgraded my router and it was very annoying. Sometimes the music would stop playing for several minutes. BUT, if you are using the service, you can enjoy it at home too where I hope your internet connection is stronger.

I've read a few comparisons between the audioengine offerings and the airmotivs, and every one of them favored the airmotivs. My older brother has a pair of smaller audioengine's and he's always asking to take my airmotivs home when he comes over. They just sound fantastic.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I'll just say that I dealt with a few drop-outs before I upgraded my router and it was very annoying. Sometimes the music would stop playing for several minutes. BUT, if you are using the service, you can enjoy it at home too where I hope your internet connection is stronger.

Yeah, nothing I can do at work, and at home I use my Squeezebox which will never get a Tidal app, so again not super useful currently...

Maybe if I build out my HTPC like I want then I will go that route...
    I've read a few comparisons between the audioengine offerings and the airmotivs, and every one of them favored the airmotivs. My older brother has a pair of smaller audioengine's and he's always asking to take my airmotivs home when he comes over. They just sound fantastic.

Good to know.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    Options
    Aren't those a clone of the Carvers ? Look just like them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Meanwhile, I'm spinning Roger Waters on SACD.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I'm spinning Roger Waters on SACD.

Party pooper...lol

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    and at home I use my Squeezebox which will never get a Tidal app,

Check out the site. 3rd party app working like a charm
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• EndersShadow
    Options
    jonicont wrote: »
    and at home I use my Squeezebox which will never get a Tidal app,

Check out the site. 3rd party app working like a charm

Touch or a Classic?

• jonicont
    Options
    touch
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• audiocr381ve
    Options
    If I could use my iPhone as a remote to my Touch that's running Tidal I'd be set. Haven't heard of a way to make this work yet.
  • jonicont
    Options
    IPeng 8 > My Apps > IckStream > Tidal--seamless

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    Options
    I took advantage of a 7 dAy trial and then bought one month. I find that the selection is not as good as spotify and in most cases cannot hear the quality difference over spotify premium. I do not plan to continue.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • tonyb
    Options
    Sea wrote: »
    I took advantage of a 7 dAy trial and then bought one month. I find that the selection is not as good as spotify and in most cases cannot hear the quality difference over spotify premium. I do not plan to continue.

That's what worries me, the selection/library, though that may get bigger as time goes on. As for hearing a difference, what are you playing it on ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I was reading about this. Buddy of mine uses Deezer Elite Via Sonos.
    Im still using Murfie because I like to own my music, but I know Im a very small part of the market.

20 bucks is a bit steep for me but now that more and more companies are in that market maybe iTunes, Spotify, and Rhapsody will play catchup.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • tonyb
    Options
    RamZet wrote: »
    I was reading about this. Buddy of mine uses Deezer Elite Via Sonos.
    Im still using Murfie because I like to own my music, but I know Im a very small part of the market.

20 bucks is a bit steep for me but now that more and more companies are in that market maybe iTunes, Spotify, and Rhapsody will play catchup.

I own my own music too, not like you can't do both. If you have a PC at home, costs nothing to download on your 'puter and stream back out. That's the nice thing about Sonos, it can create a library from anywhere, play lists from your owned music, or music service provider, or combination of.

20 bucks for tidal....eh, it might be worth it if the library was big enough and you were playing it on the main rig, but casual listening...dunno.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sea
    Options
    Sea wrote: »

That's what worries me, the selection/library, though that may get bigger as time goes on. As for hearing a difference, what are you playing it on ?

I was playing from a macbook pro through a HRT HD music streamer DAC to Carver C11 and Carver M1.0t MKII. Speakers are a fully modded pair of SDA1c's. I do have spotify premium which is supposed to better quality.

Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • tonyb
    Options
    Cool man, though maybe when the old wallet allows maybe upgrade that dac for some better sounds.

I tried Spotify....but their service was...um, spoty. lol Plus their library not as good as Rhapsody.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sea
    Options
    Cool man, though maybe when the old wallet allows maybe upgrade that dac for some better sounds.

I tried Spotify....but their service was...um, spoty. lol Plus their library not as good as Rhapsody.

I am not familiar with Rhapsody. I will have to check it out.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. A/B'ed apps and this 1 is better by far.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tonyb
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. A/B'ed apps and this 1 is better by far.

Which one, Tidals ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have to say that I am definitely digging Tidal. Excellent sound quality, hard to tell the difference between it and my personal flac files coming through the squeezebox or the computer rig. I am on the fence about the money, but the library is pretty good and would basically keep me from buying cds...hmm...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    Options
    Hows their library for say...60's- 80's music ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Well since that's not my main wheelhouse its hard to say, but almost everything that I regularly listen to in spotify that I have looked for in TIDAL has been there. Free trial for a week, admittedly a bit short, but long enough to figure out if they have a lot of what you are looking for.

I have found that the major streaming services have nearly identical libraries, they just each offer a few special extras that the others don't. So for me it comes down to price, SQ, UI, and squeezebox integration. Tidal takes the cake on SQ, and is acceptable to me on all the others, except perhaps price which I am still deliberating...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Simplyrandom
    Options
    I am starting the trial today and so far I like what I hear. My gear is far from hifi and I need to do some comparisons with Spotify premium which my son has. I have to admit the cost is a turn off but I spend that much a month on media anyways. I mean to be honest with the amount of money spent on gear and accessories this is chump change. I will still enjoy picking up physical media and even getting up to flip lps every 20 mins or so.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    yes Tidal
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    These services like tidal and deezer elite are very cool, however they only make sense (to me) if you don't already own a ton of CDs. Murfie.com will let you mail all of your CDs and LPs to them, buys from them and ship CD directly to them from online stores. They rip them at 1440 FLAC and let you play them back at full FLAC quality.
    Free service is 364 kbps and paid is FLAC. Paid will run you 100 a year. But you get $1 off every listed CD price in their store.

I think all options are very cool and long overdue.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma