Tidal HiFi launched today! CD quality streaming

Options

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    markmarc wrote: »

Not really a review, more so an advertising. Seems though for me anyway, the "curated" approach is a turn off.

Tony, in all fairness, this was written after a one day experience. To call it advertising is wholly unfair. I overstepped in calling it a review, a better choice would have been a "first look".
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Both Spotify and Tidal let you store things offline on your mobile devices so you can listen to stuff while you are on a plane. I think spotify has 3,333 songs per account that you can listen to offline..not sure of the tidal limit is
    Correct, but I believe those songs are still stored and played within their app and not available via the standard music app and able to be copied to a computer.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Both Spotify and Tidal let you store things offline on your mobile devices so you can listen to stuff while you are on a plane. I think spotify has 3,333 songs per account that you can listen to offline..not sure of the tidal limit is
    Correct, but I believe those songs are still stored and played within their app and not available via the standard music app and able to be copied to a computer.

Correct shoulda mentioned that also... It's kinda cool but its not like your getting away with anything :)

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    So I just added 250 albums to "my music" in Tidal searching and adding... took about 1hr.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options

Tidal would be one's new "standard" music app if they're using it, no? You can't burn CD's but you CAN make it available offline and you have it on all of your devices.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Sure, just wanted to clarify that though, it's not like you can copy the files to a drive and play them on a network player like the Oppo
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    Signed up for my 30 day trial today.. fairly impressed with the quality and quantity of music. having a few issues with cutting out when airplaying from my iphone to Apple TV. shame it won't likely work with the Squeezebox system.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    I'm having drop out issues as well. It takes a lot more bandwidth (not sure if this is the correct term) to stream lossless audio. Still getting a feel for it but so far besides the drop out issues, it's awesome.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I'm streaming from iphone and iPad to Apple TV and aiprort express without issue. I think my internet connection is only 10mb. The Apple TV is hard wired into the network but that shouldn't make a difference. The router is an Airport Extreme dual band.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Mikey081057
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been streaming from my Chromebook and my android phone without issue... doesn't matter what your internet speed is if you router doesn't have enough memory to buffer efficiently.

Bye Bye Spotify... turning you off today

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    pretty sure its not my router causing drop outs.. but it may be my cable modem.. the wireless router i use streams wirelessly all over the house FLAC and Hires Flac from my server with no dropout issues. but i'm having issues with Tidal. Not just airplay but through chrome and their own desktop player as well. cable modem is super old though.. it may not be fast enough probably should take it in to time warner and get an updated one.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    I'm streaming from iphone and iPad to Apple TV and aiprort express without issue. I think my internet connection is only 10mb. The Apple TV is hard wired into the network but that shouldn't make a difference. The router is an Airport Extreme dual band.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual band router myself. Internet has been slow but we have 3 iPhones connected at all times and sometimes even the Squeezebox Touch streaming in another system.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Yes bandwidth is important, but having a modem (docsis 3.0) and a router with the capacity (memory) to buffer the incoming stream from the ISP (who do play games with bandwidth throttling) is important. This all happens before the data oes over your wireless network. Heck it could even be effected by your neighbors hammering the bandwidth...but having a modem and router that efficiently buffer the incoming data is key. I am sure over time Tidal will make their buffering better too.

• audiocr381ve
    Options
    Yes bandwidth is important, but having a modem (docsis 3.0) and a router with the capacity (memory) to buffer the incoming stream from the ISP (who do play games with bandwidth throttling) is important. This all happens before the data oes over your wireless network. Heck it could even be effected by your neighbors hammering the bandwidth...but having a modem and router that efficiently buffer the incoming data is key. I am sure over time Tidal will make their buffering better too.

My new dual band router shipped and will be here tomorrow. I hope the modem Cox provided is sufficient in providing what the router needs like you mentioned.

I'm officially canceling my Spotify subscription. The difference in sound quality is well worth the price.
  • Mikey081057
    Options

My new dual band router shipped and will be here tomorrow. I hope the modem Cox provided is sufficient in providing what the router needs like you mentioned.

I'm officially canceling my Spotify subscription. The difference in sound quality is well worth the price.

If you are renting a modem from your ISP, you should get a Motorola Surfboard docsis 3.0 for about $90 instead of paying them $6/ month for a POS modem.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415167379&sr=1-2&keywords=motorola+surfboard+sb6141

• audiocr381ve
    Options

If you are renting a modem from your ISP, you should get a Motorola Surfboard docsis 3.0 for about $90 instead of paying them $6/ month for a POS modem.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415167379&sr=1-2&keywords=motorola+surfboard+sb6141

Thanks for the recommendation Mikey. Ordered :smiley:

• Mikey081057
    Options

Make sure your ISP is good with that model... they should be, but it will require a network change on their side.

• audiocr381ve
    Options

Make sure your ISP is good with that model... they should be, but it will require a network change on their side.

This was in the description so I think I'm good:

• Compatible with ALL Major CABLE providers like Comcast, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Make sure you do before and after speetests

http://www.speedtest.net/

that will validate your cost.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I was just looking at it on Amazon since I want to replace my Comcast router/modem. This is nice, but it doesn't have wi-fi, so another box also needs to be ordered.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I was just looking at it on Amazon since I want to replace my Comcast router/modem. This is nice, but it doesn't have wi-fi, so another box also needs to be ordered.

Correct... do you have an all in one cable modem router now?

Here is the router I have/recommend

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Dual-Band-Wireless-Anywhere/dp/B00KEK4Q5Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415169362&sr=1-3&keywords=linksys+wireless+router

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Yes. Some Motorola from Comcast. Works mostly fine for my needs, but there are two issues. One, I rent it. Two, and this does bug me, if I lose Internet access then the wireless also stops working. Since I control my file player over the home net, not having wireless makes the control app useless.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    Make sure you do before and after speetests

http://www.speedtest.net/

that will validate your cost.

Screenshot'ed some speed tests last night :)

Btw, here is the router I picked up. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415170144&sr=1-4&keywords=router
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Good info Mike!...now I want to upgrade my aged 10 yo wireless router. My speed tests are **** compared to everyone else's which is odd. I might try one connected directly to the modem for comparison.

I have 2 Motorola surfboard 3.0s collecting dust at the moment. I bought the first one and all was well. Then my internet got choppy so I bought a second to replace the first. Charter tells me its still not them, its the modem. So now I have a charter modem for the sole reason of being able to put the blame back on charter. Come to find out, I had a bad wire and both my modems are fine. Anyone need a modem(s) :P

I'm going to give the Tidal trial a shot tonight although I am hesitant at the cost/month. I barely have the time now never mind when I'm paying for a service.

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    the Motorola SB6141 and such are great cable modems. then you just need a good router go with it. now if your having problems it could be the Modem or the router or the line..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    s6rm3fh7nbci.png

Wow, pretty substantial download speed increase by just switching out the old router! New modem gets here today too so I can't wait to swap that in. I think my internet service plan doesn't let me get higher upload speeds which sucks because I'm uploading huge files to Vimeo every day.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Wow nice improvement... Yeah the new routers can give you much better download speeds.

• Mikey081057
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Good info Mike!...now I want to upgrade my aged 10 yo wireless router. My speed tests are **** compared to everyone else's which is odd. I might try one connected directly to the modem for comparison.

I have 2 Motorola surfboard 3.0s collecting dust at the moment. I bought the first one and all was well. Then my internet got choppy so I bought a second to replace the first. Charter tells me its still not them, its the modem. So now I have a charter modem for the sole reason of being able to put the blame back on charter. Come to find out, I had a bad wire and both my modems are fine. Anyone need a modem(s) :P

I'm going to give the Tidal trial a shot tonight although I am hesitant at the cost/month. I barely have the time now never mind when I'm paying for a service.

So what speed are you paying for / getting?

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    With the price I pay, I should be getting a terabyte/sec. :-P
    I'd have to check when I get home but my speed tests are around 8mb/s. I think I pay for 20.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!