Which format do you want?

Comments

• mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I opted to keep the text and lose the graphics; seems like a good compromise to me.

I just continue to bristle at the lack of a "new posts" button! The "recent discussions" does not have as high a signal to noise ratio to return new posts/updated threads as did the old forum's "new post" button. : - (

This. All day every day. Probably the second largest reason for my nearly complete lack of use of the forums next to the overall format.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I don't understand the issues you guys are having with the recent discussions button, it seems to work perfect for me and way better than the old new posts button that seemed to be purged at random time intervals...
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I have to agree with AsSiMiLaTeD. When I open the forum I just hit recent discussions and get all the updated posts.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    but I get some posts on even the first page that aren't updated... and some threads with new posts are several, if not many pages later... Chrome & Firefox; Windows and Ubuntu.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Can you provide an example?
  • mhardy6647
    I'll post some screenshots tomorrow; too danged tired now (had to get up at 2AM today for an airport run to Boston for Mrs. H)...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mhardy6647, what you seeing with the 'New' in yellow, are threads you have responded to. The other threads also have new posts, but since you never posted in that thread, there is no 'New' flag. I made the same mistake.

What is also needed is a button to display updated threads that you have responded to. Then you would not need to go page after page looking for new posts.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    So I guess we lost the discussion forums such as the Rockford Audio Society? I cannot find a link to them in the new format.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    dkg999 wrote: »
    So I guess we lost the discussion forums such as the Rockford Audio Society? I cannot find a link to them in the new format.

The first day I swear I saw a groups button but there were no groups, next day it was gone.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    mhardy6647, what you seeing with the 'New' in yellow, are threads you have responded to.

"New" yellow square, doesn't even require that you responded to the thread. All you had to do was click on the thread and now you are noted each time it is updated.

This would be a nice feature if it was only on the threads you responded to, but the way it is, not so much. I click on threads only to wish that I hadn't many times and don't want to see that updated.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Okay. Got it. That is pretty stupid. It should just be responses trigger "New".
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • These differences are what makes it......odd.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited September 2014
    All I can say is..what the he!!?
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • One thing that's driving me nuts, is the shear number of emails. Previously, if I started a thread, replied to someone else's, or elected to follow a thread, I would receive an email that so and so replied. I wouldn't receive any further emails regarding that thread until I re-visited it. Now, I receive emails for every single reply. I had to clear 50+ emails, just from F1s birthday thread, no offense Jesse. There's no way in user settings to duplicate this feature.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2014
    Well, I just tried to post a Sale Ad that had links to some video's (which are totally appropriate) and it told me it had to be "approved".

This is the first time I've had this happen and its somewhat annoying.

I wanted to post videos of the amplifier I am selling in action since I have them, but now have to wait for it to be "OK'd" to have my ad post.

I linked them first as an embedded video, and then just as links to the video on Photobucket, but both require "Approval".

The other FS item I posted with just pictures was fine.

Both the vidoes and images are hosted on Photobucket.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, need to get stuff sold....

I should mention on the positive note, that clicking the "Save Draft" feature worked great as I accidentally clicked the back button and was able to fully recover the FS thread I was typing up.

Thats one feature I really like!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2014
    I just wanna see what's new since I last visited! Is that too much to ask? : - P

So, here's this morning's Page 1 as I saw it. There are threads above the first one marked as containing new posts. Some sort of Einsteinian Relativity thing?

14941219298_fac4f05ebd_b.jpgPF p1 090314 AM by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Now... here's the fifth page of "Recent Discussions". After many, many threads with no new posts (i.e., no yellow "new" flags), we see one way out here on Page 5. Later pages will also have a smattering of "new" posts! : - P

14941129710_780bb87337_b.jpgPF p5 090314 AM by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Worst of all -- suppose there's a thread with 900 pages and 10 new posts. The "first" new post might be on page 900... but it might be on page 899. The old board s/w would take one to the first new post in a thread. No way to do it here; one just has to hunt around to find the last post one actually read and pick up from there.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I just wanna see what's new since I last visited! Is that too much to ask? : - P
    BlueFox wrote: »
    mhardy6647, what you seeing with the 'New' in yellow, are threads you have responded to. The other threads also have new posts, but since you never posted in that thread, there is no 'New' flag. I made the same mistake.

This^

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2014
    You're still not getting it...

The threads are sorted in descending order by the last time a post was created in that thread, the yellow box has NOTHING to do with the sorting of what appears, it just indicates that it's a thread you have visited, so makes it easy to spot threads that you've visited that have new posts.

As for your last point, click on the time under the user name out to the right to get you to the end of the thread, although taking you to the last post you personally read would be ideal and that worked better in the old forum.

So, here's this morning's Page 1 as I saw it. There are threads above the first one marked as containing new posts. Some sort of Einsteinian Relativity thing?

14941219298_fac4f05ebd_b.jpgPF p1 090314 AM by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Now... here's the fifth page of "Recent Discussions". After many, many threads with no new posts (i.e., no yellow "new" flags), we see one way out here on Page 5. Later pages will also have a smattering of "new" posts! : - P

14941129710_780bb87337_b.jpgPF p5 090314 AM by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Worst of all -- suppose there's a thread with 900 pages and 10 new posts. The "first" new post might be on page 900... but it might be on page 899. The old board s/w would take one to the first new post in a thread. No way to do it here; one just has to hunt around to find the last post one actually read and pick up from there.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2014
    some of the threads with "new" flags I can tell you I've never looked at : - P
    Want me to show you one?

here's one... (OK I just now clicked on it to copy the link -- I coulda just right clicked and copied the URL... but nooo).

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163829/high-end-2-channel-in-a-box-store-featuring-the-sonus-faber-olympica-i#latest

The forum s/w decided to flag it new -- threads just above & below it on my "recent discussions" results page aren't flagged (whether or not I have looked at 'em).

• Hello,
    Let me check into this and see what I can find.
    Regards, Ken
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    I don't understand the issues you guys are having with the recent discussions button, it seems to work perfect for me and way better than the old new posts button that seemed to be purged at random time intervals...

I'm not having any problems but I still hate change and would rather have the old forum back. I'm still relatively new here so my opinion really doesn't count. :D
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2014
    One thing that's driving me nuts, is the she[e]r number of emails. Previously, if I started a thread, replied to someone else's, or elected to follow a thread, I would receive an email that so and so replied. I wouldn't receive any further emails regarding that thread until I re-visited it. Now, I receive emails for every single reply. I had to clear 50+ emails, just from F1s birthday thread, no offense Jesse. There's no way in user settings to duplicate this feature.

I just blasted all of the e-mail notifications (I guess that's part of my gripe vis-a-vis the "lack of a new posts button" feature... what a kvetch I am...)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021

You win!!

I just noticed that the "New Car" thread by shawn474 has a "new" flag and I'm pretty sure I've never opened that thread.

Conversely, I know I've open the "What Are You Listening To" thread and it doesn't have a "new" flag even though there are new posts since I last opened it.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    One thing that's driving me nuts, is the shear number of emails.

Edit your Notification Preferences. You can even get rid of notifications for Badges! LOL

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • gce wrote: »
    One thing that's driving me nuts, is the shear number of emails.

Edit your Notification Preferences. You can even get rid of notifications for Badges! LOL
    Already did that, it's not the same
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited September 2014
    Issues currently bothering me, forgive me if they are repeats;

I'm not being notified of subscribed threads with new posts. Why is this???

I see I can select 'pop up' under notification preferences, I don't want a pop up, just a list of recent replies like the old forum had

I can't find a place to edit preferences on the Mobil version of the site. Which is no better than the full version :(

Is there a 'view first unread' button I'm mission when viewing threads? Also is there a 'go to last post' button for threads I'm not seeing?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• I'm not being notified of subscribed threads with new posts. Why is this???

Go into your account settings and look at Notification Preferences and check the ones you want.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2014
    Hello,
    Let me check into this and see what I can find.
    Regards, Ken
    Thank you Ken. Do you feel like you're speaking a foreign language when you speak with the tech support and/or programmers? ; - )
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

You win!!

I just noticed that the "New Car" thread by shawn474 has a "new" flag and I'm pretty sure I've never opened that thread.

Conversely, I know I've open the "What Are You Listening To" thread and it doesn't have a "new" flag even though there are new posts since I last opened it.

I always do.

; - )
  • I voted for vBulletin. This current change looks like something our President would do, nobody wants it but it will stay anyway.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2014
    Someone suggested that I would get use to this format. Rest assured, I am not getting use to it, I hate it more than ever. It's not intuitive, it's clunky, it hurts the eyes, it looks like a 2 year designed it and it's missing a lot of the features we use to have. In fact, there's more here that doesn't work than the old vBulletin. It's so bad that I find myself less and less inclined to come here. What bothers me the most is I know I am missing threads from people wanting help.

That we have 149 votes with 88% in favor of vBulletn speaks volumes. Polk you screwed up, it happens, but it's time to admit it and go back to vBulletin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk