Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited August 2014
    Got mine; Thanks again Neil for doing all this for us.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2014
    Yes, Neil, thanks for heading this up. You da man! :cool:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited August 2014
    You guys will be happy you did this project, it cost a few bones but well worth it in the end..
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    Go it Neil & thanks again for everything!! :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    edited August 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    If you're starting fresh and haven't bought binding posts, my advice would be to use Speakons on both sides of the connection, Dreadnought and SDA connection on the speaker. Build the cables with something decent like Signal.

Personally, what I would advise is for everyone here to use Speakons, then put together a group buy for the cables. 20 transformers, 2 cables per transformer. So you would have a need for 40 cables terminated in Speakon. Call Frank and see what he'll do. He's reasonable enough when you're buying a single pair of cables. If you're buying 20 pairs, I bet he's even more reasonable!

Is anyone else interested in getting speakon terminated cables from Frank if that's something he's willing to do?

I'm planning on going ahead with this on my own, even if there isn't any other interest. If there is though, it might be beneficial for us to coordinate an order together.

I need speaker cables and dreadnaught cables, so 2x as much from me. Perhaps we could get a decent number even if not everyone is interested?
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited August 2014
    dhlogic wrote: »
    Is anyone else interested in getting speakon terminated cables from Frank if that's something he's willing to do?

I'm planning on going ahead with this on my own, even if there isn't any other interest. If there is though, it might be beneficial for us to coordinate an order together.

I need speaker cables and dreadnaught cables, so 2x as much from me. Perhaps we could get a decent number even if not everyone is interested?

I ordered the speakons a week or so ago for my dreadnought so most likely I'm out. Hopefully others will jump in and help get the price down.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited August 2014
    Neil,

Rec'd my refund as well. Thanks a quantum amount for the tag team effort, taking over this effort so all of us who bought in could benefit. Thanks again!

Strong tight community here, enthusiasm for the brand, the technology, and the desire to help others along. Reminds me of the Alfisti (Alfa Romeo owners) I associate with. Something about a product that is no longer in production that brings and binds folks to a common purpose with a desire to keep it alive, keep improving the breed.

I love it!

Mister_Hertz
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2014
    Neil,

Refund received!

Again, many thanks.

Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited August 2014
    dhlogic wrote: »

I checked with Frank and he will do speakons for an extra $10 per cable. I didn't ask about a group buy. I have some extra Goertz flatwire cable left over and since I use that for the speakers, I figure it should work well for the dreadnaught as well. That will help keep costs down a bit.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited August 2014
    Please excuse my ignorance........who is Frank?
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2014
    Sea wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance........who is Frank?

IIRC Frank is the owner of Signal Cable, a small cable (interconnects, speaker cables, etc) company that gives Club Polk members a discount on his already solidly priced products.

The other name you may hear is "Doug" who is a forum member here and the owner of DouglasConnection. He also has some very good products for budget minded folks or those that want to spend a bit more. Again he offers a discount to Club Polk members.

I've dealt with both of them and they are highly recommended.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Sea
    edited August 2014
    Thanks. I will check it out.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    edited August 2014
    I've dealt with Doug on several purchases and highly recommend him.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • dhlogic
    edited August 2014
    dpowell wrote: »
    I checked with Frank and he will do speakons for an extra $10 per cable. I didn't ask about a group buy. I have some extra Goertz flatwire cable left over and since I use that for the speakers, I figure it should work well for the dreadnaught as well. That will help keep costs down a bit.

Thanks for the info on his willingness to do speakon connectors.

Well it looks like everyone has their own cables on hand already or a plan on what they want to do, as everyone has their own taste when it comes to cables. I figured that would be the case. So it doesn't seem like a cable group buy will be possible. Not a problem for me as I was planning on going alone anyways.
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    edited August 2014
    Neil, got the refund. Thanks for all your work on this project.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Hey scoobiedoo, just what are you trying to accomplish by calling Avel Lindberg and complaining? I'm the customer here. One person paid Avel Lindberg - me. I tell them who to ship these to, not you. You've been given a full refund. You have nothing to do with this transaction any more, stay out of it. And I've advised Melanie that you've received a full refund, and if necessary I will show her the post in this thread where you've confirmed that you received your refund.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Forum admins, can we get the ban hammer down on this guy please?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Sea
    edited August 2014
    I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this a$$. I work with a guy that is fond of saying "no good deed goes unpunished". You did this as a favor to us. Thanks a ton.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Not your fault Ed. There's one in every crowd....
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    He's basically trying to deal directly with Avel Lindberg to try to work his way back into this order through the back door. I've told Avel that this is not to happen. Only way scooby doo gets one of these transformers is if he buys 10 of them.
  • dhlogic
    edited August 2014
    It's one thing to cause problems here and as a side effect amusingly provide a little entertainment. Neil's Dos Equis meme makes me chuckle, but when you start messing around with 3rd parties like Avel Lindberg, that's a sure path to ruining a good thing. Not that disrespecting forum members is okay, it's certainly not, but this just takes it to another level.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    I've pm'd Ken and requested a ban.
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
    WOW!! Are you effing kidding me?? This dude has no class..

Well now all the newbies can see why we have the rules we do around here, good way to weed out the clowns..
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2014
    Hey scoobiedoo, just what are you trying to accomplish by calling Avel Lindberg and complaining? I'm the customer here. One person paid Avel Lindberg - me. I tell them who to ship these to, not you. You've been given a full refund. You have nothing to do with this transaction any more, stay out of it. And I've advised Melanie that you've received a full refund, and if necessary I will show her the post in this thread where you've confirmed that you received your refund.

Wow, really!?! Definitely time to BAN the putz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    edited August 2014
    I hope Ken agrees!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Funny, when I first saw this thread I was happy that it wasn't in the flea market, so anyone could jump in. Boy was I wrong about that. Not to offend anyone with below 100 posts, that's not my intent. But this thread ought to be all the explanation anyone needs as to why we prefer to have people contribute a bit to the forum so we can get to know you before doing business with you.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited August 2014
    What a d***, hope he never shows up again.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited August 2014
    Funny, when I first saw this thread I was happy that it wasn't in the flea market, so anyone could jump in. Boy was I wrong about that. Not to offend anyone with below 100 posts, that's not my intent. But this thread ought to be all the explanation anyone needs as to why we prefer to have people contribute a bit to the forum so we can get to know you before doing business with you.

We've seen both extremes: Scuba's antics need no further highlighting, but on the other hand another newbie, Mr_Hz, got this ball rolling and hit all the right notes in doing so. I'm sure you picked up on that, leading to your (amazing!) offer to be the point man on this deal. I guess the forum's a lot like the larger world: plenty of cool people and a few clunkers. And just as in life, we try to hang out with the cool people and avoid the clunkers.

Hope Ken agrees to make that easier!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0