Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited July 2014
    Great information. Thank you so much!
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited July 2014
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2014
    Here's where we are. We have 15 paid units. GlennDog has committed to a unit if it gets us to 20, so we're basically at 16.

The 20-unit price point is the same as the 15-unit price point, more extreme in fact. It is cheaper to buy 20 units than it is to buy 19, as the price for all 20 units drops by another $22.95. So if we get three more units besides GlennDog, we might as well order 20.

I just spoke to Melanie, and because they kick off the work order for the cores fairly quickly after the order is placed, it's not really possible to add to an existing order while holding your place in the manufacturing queue. Since everyone seems comfortable with a wait, I suggest we give it another week to see if we can get any more interest so we can bump the quantity up to 20. Once we finalize the order, everyone will be getting a refund from me.

If we can't get to 20, the people who jump in at least are getting it at the discounted 15-unit price point.

So..... Who else wants in? Unit price is now $266.14 plus shipping.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    GlennDog, do you definitely want in? Or are you just looking to get in if we get to 20 units?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited July 2014
    I will start a thread on its own for the cases, so we don't muck up this thread..

I should have it up in the next couple of days, and I will post a link here..
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Oh you've already mucked it up just fine.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited July 2014
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2014
    I am ok with waiting, really wish we could get 25.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Keep bumping the thread. I know there is more interest out there.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited July 2014
    I'm in no hurry.

Let's give it a chance.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    Keep bumping the thread. I know there is more interest out there.

I'm in total agreement, not all "nut jobs, like me log-in on a semi-daily basis"

10 more days and 25 commitments is no problem (that's my prediction)

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    edited July 2014
    no problem waiting here
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2014
    No problem waiting here either. I am looking forward to the improvement though. It was a noticeable upgrade when I went from the standard interconnect to the stock A1. Moving up the ladder to the dreadnaught should really bring those polks up several notches. If someone is serious about the sda sound then a dreadnaught is one of the must have items.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    I would say let's not wait two weeks unless we get some progress this week. So far we're not seeing any interest beyond the 15, if that doesn't change this week let's get the order going. I'd like to get this transaction processed sooner rather than later so I'm not sitting on so many people's money!
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited July 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    The face plates are drilled out for a D size chassis connector, but there are many choices and they are not all the same. This is the one you should use, http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors/nl4mp-uc

It's sealed (very important at the speaker end) and high current rated unlike the rest. Make sure the cable connector is also rated for high current, such as this one, http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/stx-series/nlt4fx-bag

You will also need M3 (metric) screws, lock washers and nuts to properly mount the sockets. I recommend stainless steel. They are available from Fastenal.

To mount the transformer use either a brass or stainless steel bolt, fender washer, lock washer and nut

Is the chassis connector you listed the correct one to use at the speaker in the binding post cup also?

Just to clarify, the stainless bolt needs to be non-ferritic correct?

Thanks BTW!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2014
    Is the chassis connector you listed the correct one to use at the speaker in the binding post cup also?

Yes, as is the gasket.

Yes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2014
    Inthefade wrote: »
    The stainless steel bolt is ferric because it's iron-based like all steel. The point is not "ferric vs. non-ferric", the point is that the stainless bolt must be non-magnetic; and most of them are. Some stainless steel becomes slightly magnetic due to the stress of head-and-thread forming (cold working).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2014
    Schurkey wrote: »
    The stainless steel bolt is ferric because it's iron-based like all steel. The point is not "ferric vs. non-ferric", the point is that the stainless bolt must be non-magnetic; and most of them are. Some stainless steel becomes slightly magnetic due to the stress of head-and-thread forming (cold working).

Or made in China. Asian SS is magnetic not just slightly at least all I have come across.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2014
    If you are mounting it vertical as F1nut did on his, go with quality stainless steel to get the torque rating you need to hold in place. If you are going to mount it horizontal in a rack mount type install, you could get by with aluminum or brass, but they won't take lots of torque due to their soft nature.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Don't I remember that the transformer comes with a bolt?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    Don't I remember that the transformer comes with a bolt?

Mine did not.

IIRC, DO NOT over-torque the bolt fastening the tranny-to-case. It is possible to cause damage between primary & secondary wiring. If mounting vertically, place a piece of wood between case and tranny for additional support.

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2014
    DO NOT over-torque the bolt fastening the tranny-to-case. It is possible to cause damage between primary & secondary wiring.

Yep, snug is all that's needed.
    If mounting vertically, place a piece of wood between case and tranny for additional support.

Certainly no harm from that, but completely unnecessary. The 1000VA tranny is center potted with a hole just big enough for the bolt, so it's not going to slip down. I didn't add a wood block to the 800VA tranny either....no problems.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scubasteve4sq
    scubasteve4sq Posts: 72
    edited July 2014
    You can get quality so hardware at home Depot or Lowe's for this. The transformer will produce vibration so it is important to make sure that the bolt is snug, but like mentioned above, over tightening can be worse than too loose. As long as you can't hear a vibration it's tight enough and there is no need to go any further.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited July 2014
    Over 4800 views so there appears to be plenty of interest... days to order drawing to a close ... indication is without additional participates the order most likely will be placed next week. When will the next group buy transpire? Another couple years down the road? Join now while there's time, and savings to be had with a 15+ order. Help us reach the 20 mark for even more savings!

Pricing from Melanie:

10 $292.88 ea
    15 $266.14 ea
    20 $243.19 ea
    25 $228.95 ea
    Lead-time: approx 12 wks
    FOB: CT
    Payment: 1/2 payment at time of order, balance prior to shipment
    Shipping: within USA, +$12.35 +$5.10 insurance cost, total $17.45.,
    via USPS Flat Rate Med
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • scubasteve4sq
    scubasteve4sq Posts: 72
    edited July 2014
    Yeah doesn't seem as if we have any more interest.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Agreed. I don't see us taking in 5 new orders, I'm planning to put this order through on Monday. I would like to finalize my financial involvement here. Happy to coordinate communications with Melanie through to delivery, but I'm sitting on a lot of cash right now that I'd prefer to push through.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2014
    I'm fine with sending the order in on Monday. It does appear like we've reached the limit.
  • dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    edited July 2014
    I'm interested in one for sure and will be able to provide immediate payment.

I know there is still time before Monday, but understand there has to be a cutoff sometime before that to finalize the order. I wouldn't want to deal with absolute last minute stuff either. However, I hope it is not too late and I could get in on this group buy!
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    No prob, still time to get in. I will send you a pm, you will need to send me $283.59.
  • dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    edited July 2014
    Awesome, just sent everything you need. Thanks!