Polk Audio SDA SRS Modification Thread Part 2 - The "Ultimate Build"

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited August 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So I have the rare opportunity for someone to bring me the speakers in person! They are making the trek from Virginia -

Will start the thread and update it upon completion -

Specs of the build -

Tweeter Network -
Clarity Cap MR 400v
Clarity Cap ESA 250v
Duelund Resistors
Jantzen Inductors
Supra Rondo 13 awg Internal Wiring

Midbass/SDA Network -
Clarity Cap MR 400v
Clarity Cap ESA 250v
Jantzen Inductors
Jantzen C-Coil SDA Inductor for the lowest possible DCR

Other Features -
Updated shelf design - will be mounted inside the enclosure, front to back with a "flipped" front that opens up to a clear lexan window on a custom built faceplate that will be built for a beauty view of select parts, most likely a Duelund resistor and two MR caps and an engraved plate. Will be looking into a battery powered led with a switch to light this area up. Custom rounded handles, little wider than the stock flat handles for a more modern design.

Clear lexan substrate versus delrin, .25" thick - will be using tech flex/heat shrink for the internal wiring for the cleanest look

9 AWG SDA Cable, NL4 connection

Custom round aluminum termainl plate

WBT Binding Post

Hurricane Nuts for all screw locations

Dynamat driver baskets

No Rez or Sonic Barrier for the enclosure walls

"Custom Bass Brace" that is a "cage" design that attaches on four points on the back of the speaker with head duty rubber isolation mounts that will aid in an earthquake as well as accomplish the point of the original bass brace.

Attached is a concept of the original chassis design which has already changed.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2014
    Looking forward to your progress in this Trey!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • BKphoto
    BKphoto Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    wow...impressive...
    Marantz 1152 DC- Denon DP 1200, Soundsmith Carmen MKII- ADS L980 - Blue Jeans IC's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2014
    Trey,

This will be great to follow!

Please, post lots of pictures early and often.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    edited June 2014
    1st Quarter Update!

After extensive R&D on the new shelf platform I came up with a fully isolated design that will be a three piece build. I am excited, the fabricator is building them now. Very excited about this build.

I upped the aluminum to 1/8" thick, 6160, the front panel is 1/4" thick and the Lexan substrate is 1/4" thick. All aluminum hardware will be used on the shelf system as well.

Pictured below is the internal wiring and No Rez installed.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2014
    Another great looking mod Trey
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • VR3
    edited June 2014
    Thank you! I am still a few months out. I will post pictures of different parts ad they happen.
  • Moose68Bash
    edited June 2014
    Trey,

You are quite the teeze!

Keep the pictures coming, please. This looks exciting!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited June 2014
    Since those were delivered makes all the sense you would take on that big boy project. When done I'll be very intersted to have a look at the see through features ala the glass back Ferrarris that show off the v12. Do you also take in on shipped items regular sized speakers to do whatever they request? Btw the cross overs settled in beautifully and listeng to them right now. Again can't thank you enough to work w/ me and then the whole mis delivery deal which really scared me. It all worked out.
    Lew.....
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • VR3
    edited August 2014
    Slowly forming into a bad **** chassis
  • VR3
    edited August 2014
    Fairly excited to use Lexan on this project, at 1/4" thick it is beyond strong and has been very interesting to work with so far :)
  • VR3
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    Wow! Looking good!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Somehow, "wow" seems like an understatement. Can't wait to see the finished product and read the extensive review!
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • VR3
    Ok, after many designs and a lot of thrown away pieces we had to find a handle design that worked. We went with a throw back of the old but more substantial, milled from 1" wide, 1/2" deep aluminum

This will come together quickly, everything gets painted soon and everything will be pre-wiredxe38273ab06j.jpg
    before it goes on the chassisnhvkj6gg0ua2.jpg
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    That is pretty darn cool. Kind of looks like sticks of dynamite in there.... lol!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Talk about motivation to make the drive. The custom "built for" engraving.
    Nice touch.
  • VR3
    Thanks guys!

Cant wait to see what these look like with the faceplates black and the chassis white. We are also installing an adjustable battery powered blue led inside the cabinet to back light the part you can see!
  • VR3
    edited October 2014
    This is the definition of tedious :p
  • VR3
    vyoia7f24juk.jpg
    8vvesyodoz1i.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Trey,

It may be tedious work, but it looks like another fantastic product of Vr3Mods!

Looking good!

• VR3
    Thanks Phil!

I will get to start posting pictures of yours soon enough! Alot of the way yours rip be built will be taken from here!
  • Moose68Bash
    I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!

• VR3
    edited November 2014
    jx9g798rjsxg.jpg
    Starting to (slowly) see the finish line
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    VR3 wrote: »
    jx9g798rjsxg.jpg
    Starting to (slowly) see the finish line

Beautiful - I want!!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • VR3
    Thank you! :)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Fantastic work VR3!!!
  • VR3
    Thank you :)

My goal is to have minimum visibility of wire on all parts of the build even though the substrate is clear.
  • VR3
    ixqihvwjuqvt.jpg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Trey, your work has evolved into something quite awesome. Those white panels are great.
    Question, how do the transformers work in this build? :wink:
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BKphoto
    BKphoto Posts: 409
    although you could probably get a ferrari for what you have in those SRS's...
    Marantz 1152 DC- Denon DP 1200, Soundsmith Carmen MKII- ADS L980 - Blue Jeans IC's