Polk Audio SDA SRS Modification Thread Part 2 - The "Ultimate Build"

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,022
    Awesome work. Can't wait to see the finished product
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,218
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Trey, your work has evolved into something quite awesome. Those white panels are great.
    Question, how do the transformers work in this build? :wink:

They help "transform" the sound field..... What you don't know is the first transformer was a Phonograph, not a casette tape :smiling_imp:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,524
    You clearly haven't watched the movies...the first transformer was a dinosaur. Duh.

Keep up the great work Trey...makin' us solo DIYers look like dookie! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 24,386
    Thanks guys!

Shes a BRICK

That center section took 4.5 hours to wire up... and I still have not even gotten to the molex connections yet...y3zgta0l6tbp.jpg
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • VR3
    This is the first time I have used this style of molex connector, I really like it but it was much more difficult to install but extremely more secure. Will do a nice looking bead of black hot glue around the perimeter to lock into place and dress up the edges.kni5nttrdvzx.jpg
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 18,253
    TREY your stuff just keeps getting better my friend that is one sexy sob
  • VR3
    Thank you sir!

This has been a true challenge and a learning experience :)
    - Not Tom

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,627
    Still have those Transformers, I see.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Yeah, I have four versus the hundred though :P
    - Not Tom

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,762
    Trey,

You continue to amaze! Very nicely done, indeed!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer with Morrow Audios USB cable to DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave Transport, Innuos Streamer with Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • VR3
    Thank you sir, those are the Molex conscious I am using on yours :)
    - Not Tom

• VR3
    Connectors *
    - Not Tom

• Moose68Bash
    Trey,

Now, I'm really getting impatient! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer with Morrow Audios USB cable to DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave Transport, Innuos Streamer with Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

• VR3
    Haha :D
    - Not Tom

• nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    I like the Transformers and I love the crossovers!
  • Sensational!
    Must have been a ton of work just keeping all the labels perfectly lined up.
  • VR3
    edited November 2014
    Thank you guys!

Lining up the labels is always fun as well as trying to keep the leads straight and at a 90 degree angle. I would say the most challenging part of these projects is thinking out all of the wiring and picking out aesthetically pleasing layouts and designs based around short signal paths... :)

So far this modification is taking approx. 15-20 hours per unit to wire up the center portion versus the old Monastery build time of 6 hours per side. Much more intricate by far.

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving
    - Not Tom

• VR3
    r9oswhw5rf5p.jpg
    sidgp7zux8mb.jpg
    842thx5je5hk.jpg
    - Not Tom

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 4,889
    Wow, sexy as hell....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    Wow, talk about audio ****! How much?
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    *P.O.R.N, oops didn't think that would be censored lol.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • Moose68Bash
    Don't you just love Trey's remarkable work!

On ward and upward, Trey!

• VR3
    edited December 2014
    Expecting to be completed Monday night

Adjustable brightness LED, battery poweredy8x84qrj1un6.jpg
    ndzef6y9abct.jpg
    yf6emmtenilu.jpg
    - Not Tom

• VR3
    Leave it to me to design the craziest modification ever :-D

:p3dstubrss9pu.jpg
    3xh6fd2r0aju.jpg
    tpa5jilh6a6u.jpg
    y0kqb3al7heo.jpg
    - Not Tom

• Moose68Bash
    Looks great, Trey!

Very nice -- and very creative -- work!

• VR3
    Hey Phil!

Thank you very much!

These were just handed back over to their owner and sounded absolutely fantastic :)d1y5a9dv012i.jpg
    ljg5dmj4md3u.jpg
    86misvs9br5p.jpg
    - Not Tom

• blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    Great looking work. It looks expensive ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,627
    Look ma, it's a blue football.....

j/k Trey, outstanding craftsmanship.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Really nice work Trey. But what's the 9V battery for?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited December 2014
    Blue football, lol!

The battery powers the led

Thank you guys!
    - Not Tom