Options

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    Options
    P.S. Bet you wished you never looked now huh?? :lol:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I also ordered the free trial pkg and for the life of me I have no idea why. I've read and reread some of the placements and me. I'm not going to the interior of my Adcom ever. Now as far as the positive side of the speaker terminals I did see ( Headrots pix) and his placement on his spkr outputs. On the Adcom I have 5 way binding post tightened w/ the bananas inserted w/ nothing showing.Still your supposed to lay these things on that terminal post both positive sides and this does something.Even Dynamatting on a non moving part a can grasp a little but this I'm afraid to ask if you dudes strenghtened that Kool Aid a little to much.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2013
    Options
    LW57, the inventor does not want to go into exactly what these are composed of, what processes he uses to make them or how they work. They're passive devices that attach superficially to the placement location of your choice. In the pics above they're sitting on the positive binding posts of the amp. Bob (the manufacturer) provides instructions with suggested placement sites, but he also states to feel free to experiment and report your findings.

No need to overthink this. When you get your samples place them as above. If you don't hear any improvement or decide they're not for you send 'em my way.

This may be the easiest to try tweak I've ever done.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • headrott
    edited October 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Lew, do you remember my thread a while back about EMF/RFI shielding? These are a product designed to help with that. Your cables can essentially become antennas and soak up noise. These have ferrite in them, which suppresses that phenomena. If you've ever looked at a VGA or DVI cable, you'll notice there is a cylinder near the ends that looks like it serves no purpose. That is ferrite too, and it was attached to the cables for the exact same reason. They should essentially lower the noise floor while improving everything else in the process.

This isn't kool aid, but hearing a difference because of them will depend on a plethora of factors, including how revealing your system is and how much interference there is.

Excellent post sir.

As Fred says.....Anyone who doesn't want to "drink the Kool-Aid" please send Fred and I your free samples. I will absolutely use them. PM either Fred and/or I and we will send you our address. No really, we aren't kidding......
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys, I already received an E-Mail from Mad Scientist w/ really great pictures of where exactly to put the discs. As Hearott affirmed his pix didn't really show much but these other ones do and now I have an exact placement of these things. They are like little buttercups or Reeses Pieces just sitting on top of the pos sprk. terminals and that's all. It does look wacky but who looks behind amps anyway and this is to easy not to try. Again thanks for the explanation ,I have no Dac but after they come w/ info packet I'll see where else I can use them. These were left just on top of the terminals but also they said you could use blue tack, velcro or double faced tape so I'm thinking these can also be wrapped around the device ,if not and only on top let me know .... Thanks Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Lew, do you remember my thread a while back about EMF/RFI shielding? These are a product designed to help with that. Your cables can essentially become antennas and soak up noise. These have ferrite in them, which suppresses that phenomena. If you've ever looked at a VGA or DVI cable, you'll notice there is a cylinder near the ends that looks like it serves no purpose. That is ferrite too, and it was attached to the cables for the exact same reason. They should essentially lower the noise floor while improving everything else in the process.

This isn't kool aid, but hearing a difference because of them will depend on a plethora of factors, including how revealing your system is and how much interference there is.
    Snap-on Ferrite Rings are available from many sources. I wonder if they do the same thing as these cupcakes?
    http://www.sourcingmap.com/rfi-emi-noise-filter-clipon-ferrite-ring-core-for-14mm-diameter-cable-p-291088.html
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    edited October 2013
    Options
    They should... I don't know what else the cakes could have in them and feel the prices are steep. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to call up my "expert" and get his take on it.
    Must be some secret sauce in those cupcakes, otherwise the rings should perform even better since they completely surround the cable.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drumminman
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Re: ferrite rings, everything I've read about them states they degrade sound if placed on speaker cables, IC's, etc. They can help on PC's, depending on placement. A comparison between ferrites placed around the amp BP's and Cupcakes would be interesting.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • westmassguy
    edited October 2013
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Re: ferrite rings, everything I've read about them states they degrade sound if placed on speaker cables, IC's, etc. They can help on PC's, depending on placement. A comparison between ferrites placed around the amp BP's and Cupcakes would be interesting.
    Was just a thought. Since the cupcakes sit on top of the connector, maybe half a ferrite ring would have a similar effect.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • headrott
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Today I received the 6 Blackdiscus devices I purchased. There are 4 cupcake sized devices and 2 canopener sized devices I purchased. Included in the package are 2 "prototype" Blackdiscus devicesthat (according to Bob of Mad Scientist Audio) includes Mundorf copper in them and are the same size as the cupcake sized devices. They are tests of evolving Blackdiscus devices Bob is working on. Also included was a "free gift" of Blackdiscus devices with a diameter of 18mm but much thicker than the "free samples" Bob sends out. I will install these tonight, but won't be able to listen until tomorrow night. I will report back then with my findings. Some pics are below:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Looking forward to your listening impressions. One thing I've noticed as that it seems to take a little while for the effect of these to fully mature. I can hear improvement within a few seconds to a minute, but it seems to continue to mature over a period of 15 minutes to an hour.

Where do you plan to place everything?
  • headrott
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Looking forward to your listening impressions. One thing I've noticed as that it seems to take a little while for the effect of these to fully mature. I can hear improvement within a few seconds to a minute, but it seems to continue to mature over a period of 15 minutes to an hour.

Where do you plan to place everything?

headrott wrote: »
    I am going to place 2 of the Cupcake sizes on the positive binding posts of the BAT VK-200.

I want to place one of the Cupcake sized BD's on the transformerin the BAT VK-200, but it is covered with a metal shielding. It states on the site that placing the BD's in a metal container will yield them useless, so if I put the BD in the metal shielding does that make it useless despite the fact the transformer is in the metal shielding as well? I am working out the best way to place it with Bob right now. I haven't heard back from him today yet.

I will put the 2 Canopener sized BD's on each of the transformers in my BAT VK-31.

I will put the fourth Cupcake sized BD possibly on the Dreadnaught transformer (which is also in a metal case) so I need to find out the best way to do this from Bob.....

I will put any freebies I get on the transformers in my DAC (there are 2 torroidal and 2 R-Core transformers located in it).

I will put one of the small freebies on the Cerious XLR digital cable on the Theta Jade transport end. I will try the other on the Acoustic Revive Ethernet cable connecting my modified Denon DVD-5910 to my DAC (on the DVD-5910 end).

I will see what the results are after I receive them.

I still haven't heard back from Bob though about placing the Cupcake BlackDiscus in my VK-200 (regarding the transformer cover). Not sure what's up. Have you heard from Bob, Fred?

I have read that it may take 10+ minutes for the full effect to occur.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    When I first placed the cupcakes on the two neg bp's and on the transformers in my power amp (two stacked with a cover over both), and linestage (a single without a cover), I thought it sounded weird. The sound was maybe a little edgy on the first track played, a little better on the second. Towards the end of the cd I thought things were settling down.

By the second cd the soundstage was starting to open up more than before placement, and the qualities described in post #26 started to become apparent to an even greater degree. The music sounds more sweet and organic, transients on things like picked guitars, percussion instruments, cymbals have a more realistic initial impact, bass is more powerful but not out of balance with the rest of the spectrum, the mid range and upper mid range just sounds right. There's more of a front to back layering of the soundstage and a parabolic shape to it; it wraps around the listening position a little more. Last weekend after several hours of playing time everything sounded superb, so much so that I'm hesitant to move the BD's around.

I haven't received a reply from Bob re: my question about where to place one if the transformer has a cover, so I'm leaving it in place for now. Also, he agreed to send me the prototypes and haven't heard about that either.

Still need to decide where to put the two freebies he sent.
  • headrott
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You could try the two freebies on either digital cable(s) or on power cords. I used them on both power cords (to my DAC) and on the Cerious liquid ceramic digital cable and on the Acoustic revive ethernet cable.

I hope Bob is doing OK then. Why no responses?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    My two cupcake size prototypes were in the mailbox yesterday when I arrived home.

Have not placed any more Black Discus devices yet and had a listening session last night. I continue to be impressed at what these little "reese's peanut butter cup" looking devices bring to the system. Played The Beatles "Please, Please Me" remaster and it has never sounded so 3 dimensional and smooth.

Will probably remove the original formula cupcakes from the bp's and replace with the prototypes, no other changes, and listen for improvements/degradations. This is by far the best the rig has ever sounded :cool:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I very skeptically ordered a set today.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I received two quarter-sized Black Discus devices yesterday (11/07/13). Some posters on Audio Asylum mentioned that they had achieved the same results as their Black Discus samples by using magnetic tape. That is the reason for the two large bucking magnets in the photo below. Bucking magnets are strong magnets used to counteract the magnetic field of loudspeaker drivers so they can be used close to CRT televisions without causing picture distortion.

BlackDiscus-BuckMagnets-s_zps88a6c7b1.jpg
    Figure 1. Black Discus samples and bucking magnets.

BlackDiscusHeadphone-s_zps3978b336.jpg
    Figure 2. Black Discus device placed on headphone plug.

The same five minute-thirty second song was used in all trials: "Fellowship Hall", from Euge Groove's "House of Groove" DC. It is a well-recorded instrumental track that has an assortment of instruments at the low, mid, and high frequency ranges and excellent spatial properties. The track was listened to once without the Black Discus in place then played on repeat three times with the Black Discus in place.

The Black Discus devices were placed in the following locations with these results:

1. Positive binding post of each loudspeaker: A slight "choppy" distortion resulted overall. There was a loss of detail at the sides and rear of the sound stage.

2. Top of SACD player XLR output cables: A moderate "choppy" distortion resulted overall.

3. Positive binding posts of AI-1 Dreadnought non-common ground interface: A slight "choppy" distortion resulted overall. Diminished sound stage width and depth. Diminished center detail.

4. Top of power amplifier power cord plugs at the wall: No effect.

5. Top of headphone jack: No effect.

I would have placed the devices on the positive outputs of each power amplifier, but the amplifiers' rear panel is difficult to access without pulling the heavy cabinet away from the wall.

When sonic aberrations were heard, they occurred within 15 to 20 seconds of placing the Black Discus devices and disappeared within 20 seconds of their removal.

Bucking magnets had no effect when placed on the speaker positive binding posts, on top of the SACD player's XLR output cables, and the AI-1's binding posts.

The bucking magnets did produce a slight choppy distortion when placed on top of the power amplifier's power cord plug at the wall.

Headphone Trial Equipment:

Polk Audio UltraFocus 8000 Headphones
    Yamaha CDX-1110U CD player

Two Channel Audio System Trial Equipment:

Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version CD/SACD Player
    PS Audio PowerBase Isolation Platform for SACD Player
    Black Diamond Racing Mk. 4 Cones and Jumbo Pits Isolation Devices for SACD Player
    Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp
    Pass Labs X600.5 Power Amps
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Loudspeakers (Hotrodded) with Custom AI-1 Non Common Ground Interface
    AudioQuest Sky XLR Interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest Speaker Cables
    PS Audio AC-12 Power Cables
    PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator
    Dedicated 20 Amp AC Circuit for each Power Amp
    Dedicated 20 Amp AC Circuit for P10 Regenerator
    Each dedicated AC circuit terminated with a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE In-wall Passive Power Conditioner
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • headrott
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Interesting results Ray. I will say that there is a slight decrease in (low level) detail I notice with the BD devices installed, but I certainly don't notice any distortion using them. In fact, I would say the opposite. In my rig, they bring a smoothness to it. I did notice that some of the placement points you used might have something to do with the distortion however. Placing them on the positive binding posts of the AI-1 might not be a great idea (from what I understand anyway). I belive Bob recommends placing them on the source end of components (with the exception of power cables). So, you should place them on the positive peaker binding post of the amp, as the positive binding post of the AI-1 would be more of a "side step" stage of the source (amp) and sink (speakers). This *may* have something to do with the result you got. Same goes for the placement on the positive speaker binding post(s). From what I gather, which end you place the BD's is very important (source or sink). It should always be at the source (if I understand correctly) but please correct me if I am wrong (in my understanding).

I have not tried using any of them on the analog IC cables so far, but the output of the CD/SACD player would be the place to do it (from what I understand). I do have one on my XLR digital cable from my Theta Jade.

I believe the instructions say to put the BD device on the power cord at the IEC (inlet) side of the cord (I will need to verify this however). This may be why you heard no effect by placing it at the plug end at the wall??

Please let us know if you do any more testing with them Ray and thanks for your report.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Coconut Audio alien crystals work much better, or so I have read.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm curious BF, do you think these do nothing to the sound?

I have no idea since I have never tried them. I was just making a joke. However, as everyone should know, there appears to be an infinite number of ways to influence the sound of an audio system. The problem is, in my mind, if the effect is rather subtle then, depending on the rest of the gear, it can be positive, negative, or neutral.

For example, I purchased an Acoustic Revive (something or other) that is supposed to generate a pulse equal to some natural frequency of this planet, which then cancels stray EMF for better sound. Does it work? Who knows. Sometimes I forget to turn it on and then I realize that. Once I turn it on I feel better. Why? Is it because I turned it on and it is working, or is it because I think everything is better now.

Personally, I will stick with cable and power upgrades for sound improvements. That is something that definitely works, is plain as day, and is irrefutable.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ray, I did just notice on the instructions that come with the free samples that it states under "other", that quote:

-"Many people use a distribution board to power their audio components, with that board plugged into one wall socket. Try placing one on the plug that goes into the wall. (Cupcake size). Note that this does not always result in an improvement, so check."

This may be why you heard no improvement by placing it on the male plug end of the power cord?

I did find an oddity under the "Best places for demo units" section of the instructions too:

Quote: "With only one or two BlackDiscus devices, the first place(s) to try them are

- Headphone systems : on the jack plug entering the headphone lead.
    - Speaker systems : on the left and right speaker outputs (+ve or red lead)
    - If you have a Digital Source and DAC, put one on the digital cabl at the source end."

Now, one problem I have with the wording of the middle "speaker system" portion is that there is no "speaker output" other than the audio transmitted out of the drivers at that point. So I am assuming that Bob means the amplifier positive (binding post) outputs and not the speaker binding post "outputs" as there are none.

You obviously tried the "Headphone systems" placement with no result. Since you don't have a DAC or Digital transport, I would suggest trying them on the power cord inlet of the Cary CD/SACD player Ray based upon this statement: " If you have an all-in-one digital source like a CD-player:
    - place one on the mains inlet, just where it enters the component."

I would try one there (or both there). I would also try them on the Amp(s) positive binding posts too (even though it may be a PITA). You may hear a more positive effect by doing so. Please let us know what you find if you try it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Interesting results Ray. I've never tried them on headphones or my cdp, though the digital out is where I plan to put the smallest one. I agree with Greg that you should place them on the Pos BP on the back of your monoblocks. This is the first place I tried them and though the sound quality improvement was subtle with the small, thin free samples it was enough to encourage me to place an order. The effect is more pronounced with the cupcakes as they're thicker and larger diameter. Though many reports say otherwise, IME it takes up to an hour, perhaps a little longer, for the full effect of the cupcakes to settle in. I've spent 10-15 hours listening with these in place, and the effect is strong, consistent and pleasing in my rig.

I removed the standard cupcakes from the amp pos bp's and placed the two prototype samples last night. CD's played were Graceland, Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley, Madeline Peyroux's 1st and 2nd CD's. With Graceland I felt like the sound was slightly congested, and not as smooth as with the originals in place. I love this CD and one thing I've noticed is some tracks are recorded better than others, which continued to be apparent with the prototypes in place.

Eva Cassidy sounded good, though the tone and texture of the instruments in her band was slightly flat. Not in pitch or tuning, but in texture and realism. Her voice was about the same. I noticed this same quality with Madeline Peyroux's two CD's..

I'll continue to experiment with the prototypes, but as of now I have the original formula cupcakes back in place.
  • drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Interesting results Ray. I've never tried them on headphones or my cdp, though the digital out is where I plan to put the smallest one. I agree with Greg that you should place them on the Pos BP on the back of your monoblocks. This is the first place I tried them and though the difference was subtle with the small, thin free samples it was enough to encourage me to place an order. Though many reports say otherwise, IME it takes up to an hour, perhaps a little longer, for the full effect of the cupcakes to settle in. I've spent 10-15 hours listening with these in place, and the effect is strong, consistent and pleasing in my rig.

Last night I removed the standard cupcakes from the amp pos bp's and placed the two prototype samples. CD's played were Graceland, Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley, Madeline Peyroux's 1st and 2nd CD's. With Graceland I felt like the sound was slightly congested, and not as smooth with the prototypes in place. I love this CD and one thing I've noticed is some tracks are recorded better than others, which continued to be apparent with the prototypes in place.

Eva Cassidy sounded good, though the tone and texture of the instruments in her band was slightly flat. Not in pitch or tuning, but in texture and realism. Her voice was about the same. I noticed this same quality with Madeline Peyroux's two CD's. Subtle background cues were and instruments were there to about the same degree as with the original formula. To sum up the original had a little more of a "rightness" to the overall sound, a slightly more organic quality to the soundstage.

I'll continue to experiment with the prototypes, but as of now I have the original formula cupcakes back in place.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Recapping the results of previous trials:

The Black Discus devices were placed in the following locations with these results:

1. Positive binding post of each loudspeaker: A slight "choppy" distortion resulted overall. There was a loss of detail at the sides and rear of the sound stage.

2. Top of SACD player XLR output cables: A moderate "choppy" distortion resulted overall.

3. Positive binding posts of AI-1 Dreadnought non-common ground interface: A slight "choppy" distortion resulted overall. Diminished sound stage width and depth. Diminished center detail.

4. Top of power amplifier power cord plugs at the wall: No effect.

5. Top of headphone jack: No effect.

I would have placed the devices on the positive outputs of each power amplifier, but the amplifiers' rear panel is difficult to access without pulling the heavy cabinet away from the wall.

When sonic aberrations were heard, they occurred within 15 to 20 seconds of placing the Black Discus devices and disappeared within 20 seconds of their removal.

Bucking magnets had no effect when placed on the speaker positive binding posts, on top of the SACD player's XLR output cables, and the AI-1's binding posts.

The bucking magnets did produce a slight choppy distortion when placed on top of the power amplifier's power cord plug at the wall.

Headphone Trial Equipment:

Polk Audio UltraFocus 8000 Headphones
    Yamaha CDX-1110U CD player

Two Channel Audio System Trial Equipment:

Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version CD/SACD Player
    PS Audio PowerBase Isolation Platform for SACD Player
    Black Diamond Racing Mk. 4 Cones and Jumbo Pits Isolation Devices for SACD Player
    Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp
    Pass Labs X600.5 Power Amps
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Loudspeakers (Hotrodded) with Custom AI-1 Non Common Ground Interface
    AudioQuest Sky XLR Interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest Speaker Cables
    PS Audio AC-12 Power Cables
    PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator
    Dedicated 20 Amp AC Circuit for each Power Amp
    Dedicated 20 Amp AC Circuit for P10 Regenerator
    Each dedicated AC circuit terminated with a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE In-wall Passive Power Conditioner

Further results:

6. One disc on the SACD player power cord inlet: Very subtle reduction in detail, similar to turning the volume control down slightly.

7. Two stacked discs on the SACD player power cord inlet: Same as #6, but additional loss of bass detail and articulation.

8. One disc placed on the positive binding post of each X600.5 power amplifier: Reduction in apparent sound level, small reduction in spatiality and clarity at sides and rear of sound stage.

9. One disc placed on the positive binding post of each Adcom GFA-5400 power amplifier in master bedroom system: diminished fine detail and spatiality - less raspy edge on saxophone reed, bass decay truncated, synthesizer notes not as airy and floating, diminished space between images.

Master Bedroom System Equipment:

Sony TA-E9000ES Digital Preamp/Processor Ver. 2.1
    Sony BDP-S2000ES Blu-ray disc player
    PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC Regenerator
    Adcom GFA-5400 Power Amp (200 wpc into 4 ohms)
    Magnepan MG12 Speakers
    Polk Audio DSW MicroPro 4000 Subwoofer
    Monster Cable Z3 Reference Speaker Cable
    Monster Cable ZBass 100 Subwoofer Cable
    Signal Cable Magic Power Cords for Power Amp, DVD Player, AC Regenerator, and Subwoofer
    Monster Cable Z200i Interconnects

I don't doubt that some people are getting good results with these devices in their systems. The manufacturer is offering free samples and a money back guarantee, therefore they are worth a try if you are interested in these types of tweaks.
  • drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It looks as though you gave the freebies a good tryout, and on two different systems. Wonder why the results I'm experiencing are opposite of what you describe.

Nice writeup.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hello, drumminman. This is somewhat not surprising. There have been some wonderful pieces of gear that have come and gone throughout my system that sounded heavenly in other systems but no amount of tweaking, biasing or cable swapping made them sound good in my system. Part of it may have been component matching and part of it may have simply been the synergy aspect. While I may still be highly skeptical with regards to these discs, when I get them in, my observations could swing either way. They could react like they did in your system and they could react like they did in DK's system.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just got this e-mail from Bob a few moments ago...
    Tom,

The samples we send out are quite thin - designed to fit into the mail
    system at a affordable rate. Normally we send two mini-sized discs, but I
    will send you 4 instead. You can use these two ways - either stack two and
    use the 4 as two devices, or just use all 4 in separate places. Usually the
    places to try first are (a) amp output, positive terminal - can also put a
    second pair at the speaker end (b) digital link. But it looks like you
    don't have a digital link, so other places include the power supply inlet
    on the CDP. Input to phono preamp; PRE power input; as well as interconnects.

Cheers
    bob
    Thank you for requesting a BlackDiscus Free Sample.

We will send this to you right away - if you do not receive within two
    weeks, please get back to us.

I'd really like to hear how the samples sound in your system, even if you
    can't hear any difference.

If you have any questions, please get back to me.

Best wishes
    bob

Tom
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wonder why the results I'm experiencing are opposite of what you describe.

Ferrite compounds are used in power cord jackets, in passive noise filters, and bead filters around power cords to filter environmental noise. Black Discus devices seem to be designed filter a specific type of environmental noise, hence their specified locations where noise shielding is minimal or non-existent like:

1. Power amp binding posts.
    2. Headphone plugs.
    3. Power cord plugs.
    4. Power supply transformers.
    5. Power cable inlet at a digital source.
    6. Digital output cable at the source.

If you are not affected by the type of environmental noise the Black Discus devices are designed to filter and/or your cables and cable connectors already have adequate shielding against that type of noise, then the Black Discus devices my have no effect or even a detrimental effect.

I think of the cases where detrimental effects occur as being analogous to taking a strong medicine when you are perfectly healthy. If you have the illness for which the medicine is indicated, you will notice a net benefit even though there may be undesirable side effects. If you take the medicine without having the indicated illness, you will only experience is the undesirable side effects, and in such case the side effects may be stronger since the medicine is totally acting against a healthy body rather than mostly against an illness within the body.

One of the drawbacks of noise-filtering ferrite compounds is that they generate a magnetic field that can cause an audible constriction (distortion) of the signal passing through them. That is why PS Audio abandoned ferrite impregnated jackets in their "AC" series power cables.
  • drumminman
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ferrite compounds are used in power cord jackets, in passive noise filters, and bead filters around power cords to filter environmental noise. Black Discus devices seem to be designed filter a specific type of environmental noise, hence their specified locations where noise shielding is minimal or non-existent like:

1. Power amp binding posts.
    2. Headphone plugs.
    3. Power cord plugs.
    4. Power supply transformers.
    5. Power cable inlet at a digital source.
    6. Digital output cable at the source.

If you are not affected by the type of environmental noise the Black Discus devices are designed to filter and/or your cables and cable connectors already have adequate shielding against that type of noise, then the Black Discus devices my have no effect or even a detrimental effect.

I think of the cases where detrimental effects occur as being analogous to taking a strong medicine when you are perfectly healthy. If you have the illness for which the medicine is indicated, you will notice a net benefit even though there may be undesirable side effects. If you take the medicine without having the indicated illness, you will only experience is the undesirable side effects, and in such case the side effects may be stronger since the medicine is totally acting against a healthy body rather than mostly against an illness within the body.

One of the drawbacks of noise-filtering ferrite compounds is that they generate a magnetic field that can cause an audible constriction (distortion) of the signal passing through them. That is why PS Audio abandoned ferrite impregnated jackets in their "AC" series power cables.

Thanks for that DK, perhaps that explains it. Presently the only shielded cords I use are the ones for my digital devices: cdp and dac. Everything else is unshielded: IC's and PC's to linestage, power amp and sw.

I've hear only benefits so far, no negative side effects.
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited November 2013
    Options
    One of the drawbacks of noise-filtering ferrite compounds is that they generate a magnetic field that can cause an audible constriction (distortion) of the signal passing through them.

That would be when the self-canceling Send & Return signals are not both going through the same choke.