Improvements To The SDA SRS 1.2TL - Summary Of Modifications

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited May 2013 in Vintage Speakers
Introduction

It is always amusing when we SDA enthusiasts are reviled for daring to use our 20+ years old SDAs with modern, and often very high performance, electronics and cables. It is amusing because of the arrogant ignorance shown. Does something being old mean that it cannot be improved and brought up to modern standards?

Can a 100 year old house be remodeled with every modern convenience and comfort and brought up to current structural standards? Can a 30 year old sports car be retrofitted with a modern engine, drive train, suspension, etc., and then run rings around a comparable sports car fresh off the assembly line? The answer to both questions is an unequivocal YES! In the case of my modded, hotrodded, Stereo Dimensional Array Signature Reference System 1.2TL "True Stereo" loudspeakers, which will turn 24 years old in October of this year, the only original parts are:

1. The medium density fiberboard Cabinets.
2. The stereo and dimensional drivers.
3. The passive radiator.
4. The polyfill material.

Everything else was replaced with higher quality parts: crossover circuit board, capacitors, resistors, inductors, internal wiring, crossover cover plate, binding posts, binding post plate, binding post jumpers, tweeters, driver and tweeter seals, AI-1 non-common ground interface, grille cloth, the method of securing drivers and tweeter to the baffle board, and even the original oak trim.

Most of the performance improvements were recommended by Polk's engineering department. The truth is that SDA's were about 20 years ahead of their time. Low noise high performance crossover components were not available in manufacturing lot quantities in the 1980s. Even if they had been, amplifiers that were stable into low impedances were not common. Therefore, SDAs were put in a choke hold by the state of amplifier technology and by the state of component technology. It took a couple of decades for other technologies to "catch up". The fact that SDAs are able to perform well with today's high performance amplifiers, cables, and electronics is a testament to the genius of the design. Components which exhibit low electrical and mechanical noise are particularly important in stereophonic reproduction because such noise diminishes stable and clear spatial rendering.

I am deeply appreciative of the collective efforts of Polk Audio's engineering department, which started me on the speaker upgrade path in 1990, and the talented members of this forum who have brought a lot of thought and expertise to helping SDA owners get the most from their "ancient" speakers (Ken Swaugger, Toolfan66, F1Nut, Face, RickTfromAZ, VR3, Gimpod). I must also express my appreciation to Matthew Polk and Polk's engineering Vice President, Stu Lumsden, for continuing to provide product support throughout the years for a loudspeaker line that was formally discontinued 22 years ago.

The electrical and mechanical modifications are rated as small, moderate, large, or huge with regard to their impact on sonic and mechanical performance improvement.

Electrical Improvements

001-010rd0198tweeter-s_zps4138c345.jpg
Figure 1. Polk recommended mod: the RD-0198 tweeter. Moderate improvement.

002-000AQGO-4Spool84ft-s_zps9a0050ab.jpg
Figure 2. AudioQuest GO-4 15 AWG Hyper-Litz speaker cable used for internal wiring. Moderate
improvement.

003-007RtTLGO-4WireInstall-CR-s_zps5965d14f.jpg
Figure 3. Installation of AudioQuest GO-4 wire.

004-021TwtHarnessBindingUpper-s_zpse46184ab.jpg
Figure 4. AudioQuest GO-4 wire in tweeter section.

005-3EInstalled-s_zps4c857578.jpg
Figure 5. Custom aluminum binding post plate with Cardas CCGR-S gold plated tellurium copper binding
posts. No sonic improvement.

006-2ECardas-AQJumpers-s_zps70b30473.jpg
Figure 6. AudioQuest Perfect Surface copper jumpers with silver bananas and Cardas CCGR-S binding
posts. The jumpers, surprisingly, provided a small improvement.

007-3JPlate-CablesClo-s_zps4e0863ea.jpg
Figure 7. Custom binding post plate with cables attached. This picture was taken prior to the Dreadnought's
Monster Cables replacement by PS Audio Xtreme Resolution Reference speaker cables.

008-3FRing-s_zpscbc5b375.jpg
Figure 8. Steel retaining ring for binding post plate. Large mechanical improvement. This picture was taken
before the internal wire replacement.

009-Solen-NorthCreek-Stock-s_zps2f4c845d.jpg
Figure 9. SDA inductors: Solen 10 AWG, North Creek 14 AWG, stock 18 AWG.

010-3HRing-SDAInd2-s_zps8ffb2753.jpg
Figure 10. Solen SDA inductor installed. Large improvement. This picture was taken before the internal wire
replacement.

A high DC resistance SDA 16 mH inductor was used to keep the speaker impedance reasonably high for the typical power amplifiers available in the 1980s. Such caution is not required with today's amplifiers. A large gauge 16 mH inductor with very low DCR significantly improved bass response.

011-XovrMainBrdLftAng-s_zpsbb75f6e6.jpg
Figure 11. Custom crossover circuit board with bracing board. Small sonic improvement. Large mechanical
improvement.

012-SonicBar-12TLXoverSdwch-s_zpsa5ae5a88.jpg
Figure 12. "Custom crossover circuit board with Sonic Barrier damping material. SB brought a
small sonic improvement."

013-SonicBar-12TLXoverClo-s_zpsbb759190.jpg
Figure 13. Crossover board with crossover cover plate treated with Dynamat Xtreme.

014-017XovrResOnBack-s_zpsa6fd72ed.jpg
Figure 14. Top side of completed crossover with Jantzen and Solen inductors, Sonicap capacitors and
Duelund resistors. All the crossover improvements worked together to make a huge improvement.

The total crossover upgrade was a huge improvement, but the constituent modifications ranged from small to large.

015-020DUEInstalled-s_zps03152048.jpg
Figure 15. Duelund CAST Silver resistors on underside of crossover circuit board. Small improvement.

015-a-Polysw-s_zps4a7c8c43.jpg
Figure 16. Per Polk's recommendation, the tweeter protection polyswitches were removed and replaced
with a copper jumper wire. This made a small improvement. The copper jumper was replaced with a silver
wire jumper, which made a further small improvement.

It was easy to hear the difference between the copper and the silver jumper wires. For example, on words like "unique" it was easier to hear the vocal click at the end of the word.

016-018DN-front-angle-r-s_zpsf8efcb38.jpg
Figure 17. AI-1 Dreadnought custom non-common ground interface with 1000VA isolation transformer.
Large improvement.

017-022DN-posts-r-s_zps8819e05f.jpg
Figure 18. Dreadnought Cardas CCGR-S binding posts.

I like the Cardas posts because of their strength and appearance. I have not been able to hear a difference between them and other high quality binding posts, like Vampire. I couldn't even hear a difference between the Cardas posts and the stock posts...although I could hear a difference between a 1 inch copper jumper and a 1 inch silver jumper. I also easily heard a difference between stranded copper wire binding post jumpers and AudioQuest solid core copper wire jumpers.

018-1000VA-Transformer-s_zpsaadbcb22.jpg
Figure 19. The Dreadnought's Avel-Lindberg AV-047548 1000VA shielded transformer.

019-1000VATransInstalled-s_zps77b56d69.jpg
Figure 20. Dreadnought's transformer installed with Dynamat Xtreme damping material.

020-xStreamResolutionSpkCblSpades_zps75d7344f.jpg
Figure 21. Dreadnought cables: PS Audio Xtremet Resolution Reference 11 AWG speaker cables.
Moderate improvement over previous Monster Cable Z2 Reference cables.
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    Mechanical Improvements

021-013SDA-rings-s_zpsebb11ff5.jpg
    Figure 22. Steel retaining rings for drivers and passive radiator. Huge sonic and huge mechanical
    improvement.

022-014Xover-BindingPostRings-r-s_zps51e2e7e1.jpg
    Figure 23. Steel retaining rings for crossover cover plate and former stock binding post plate. Huge
    mechanical improvement.

023-Mortite-Stock-ArmacellSDASealants-s_zpse498ddaa.jpg
    Figure 24. Armacell was a small sonic improvement over Mortite and stock seals. Armacell was a huge
    mechanical improvement.

024-Drivers-Armacell-s_zpsa1168c96.jpg
    Figure 25. Drivers with Armacell foam tape applied. Armacell compresses to paper thinness.

025-0111_2TLPRandDriver-r-s_zps92304a29.jpg
    Figure 26. Driver and passive radiator baskets with Dynamat Xtreme damping material applied. Small
    sonic improvement.

026-017DK-Screwed-Brace-r-s_zps0cf4f242.jpg
    Figure 27. Bass brace: This is a Polk supplied accessory with the tallest models of SDAs. Moderate
    sonic improvement.

027-MonolithAngleUp-s_zps115da073.jpg
    Figure 28. Grille cloth: "Ponte" thin silky black knit fabric from Hancock Fabrics.
    Small sonic improvement, huge cosmetic improvement.

BH5-Installed-s_zpse71a4697.jpg
    Figure 28a. Blackhole 5 damping material. Large improvement.

Cosmetic Improvements

Tiger maple compared to the standard obnoxious oak? The tiger maple was a spectacular cosmetic improvement.

C001InstalledTopLefttClose-s_zps13d4832e.jpg
    Figure 29. Left top cap.

C002InstalledTopRight-s_zpsddbdba5e.jpg
    Figure 30. Right top cap.

C003InstalledTopsDrk-s_zps28091ed3.jpg
    Figure 31. Both top caps.

C004RoundedCornerDetail-s_zps40e0db3b.jpg
    Figure 32. Cap rounded corner detail.

C005FrontEdge-LeftTop-s_zps3a4f349a.jpg
    Figure 33. Top cap tiger striping detail.

C006BottomLipDetailDrk-s_zps0e18de83.jpg
    Figure 34. Bottom cap tiger striping detail.

C009SideStripBurlFar-s_zps76f0c2dc.jpg
    Figure 35. Burl/tiger striping detail on inner side strips.

C010SideStripFar-s_zpsdb46bd1b.jpg
    Figure 36. Tiger striping detail on outer side strips.

C011Speakers-Maple-LeftSides-s_zpsdd1d3d32.jpg
    Figure 37. Left sides.

C012Speakers-Maple-RightSides-s_zpse0bae535.jpg
    Figure 38. Right sides.

C013SRS12PltInst-s_zps4fc9c904.jpg
    Figure 39. Custom crossover cover plate. Silky black finish with brass handles. Huge cosmetic improvement
    over the stock plate.

2Ch-Front-s_zps6a45c899.jpg
    Figure 40. No, my SDA SRS 1.2TLs are not hopelessly out of date both sonically, technologically or
    aesthetically. Such Good Sound!

Reference Threads

01. AudioQuest-GO-4-Internal-Wire-Replacement-For-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

02. SDA-SRS-1.2TL-Sonicap-Upgrade

03. Duelund-Resistor-Upgrade-For-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

04. The-AI-1-Dreadnought-Project-Pt.1

05. SDA-SRS-1.2-1.2tl-cover-plates-handles

06. SDA-SRS-1.2TL-Custom-Wood-Panels

07. SDA-Driver-Seals-Original-Foam-vs.-Mortite-vs.-Armaflex-Foam

08. Dynamat Xtreme Driver Basket Damping

09. SDA-Polyswitches-Are-Nasty

10. Custom-Printed-Circuit-Board-And-SDA-Inductor-For-The-SDA-1.2TL-Preliminary-Results

11. Improvements-To-Modified-SDA-SRS-1.2TL-Crossover

12. Upgrade-Low-Frequency-Inductors-For-the-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

13. Upgrade-High-Frequency-Inductors-For-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

14. Solen 10 AWG SDA Inductor Upgrade

15. Steel-Retaining-Rings-For-SDA-Drivers-And-Passive-Radiators

16. SDA-Tweeter-Brackets-for-SDA-SRS-1.2TL-SDA-SRS-and-SDA-CRS

17. PS-Audio-xStream-Resolution-Reference-Speaker-Cable-A-Review-Pt.-1

18. Sonic-Barrier-Damping-Material-For-SDA-SRS-1.2TL-Crossover

19. Revisiting The Bass Brace

20. Custom Binding Post Plate

21. Blackhole-5-Damping-Material-In-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?148198-Blackhole-5-Damping-Material-In-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL&p=1913822#post1913822
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for your attention to detail and to document all changes for future polkies to use as a great reference.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2013
    Nicely done, Ray and thanks for getting the ball rolling.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited April 2013
    No Spikes or did I miss that? Great job!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2013
    DK, now it would seem that you are all out of something to do with this hobby.....I can help!:surprised:

I can drive up my 1.2tl's and swap them out with yours and you will have the pleasure of not being bored any longer:redface:

Wont cost you a dime:mrgreen:
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2013
    Nice write-up Ray.

I have done them all except the internal wiring.. If your going to follow anyone here Ray would be that guy..

Thank you for all the help you have given me along the way as well Ray..
  • dcoil
    dcoil Posts: 153
    edited April 2013
    Ray, I would love to hear your system - maybe the best sounding Polks on the planet and maybe one of the best sounding speakers on the planet. I know that sounds preposterous to a lot of audiophiles, but I've auditioned speakers costing >$10K with high dollar electronics I wouldn't trade even for my SRS's.

Did you say yours were for sale:cheesygrin:
    SDA SRS modded: X’ovrd, de-polyed, inductorized, interconnectorized, re-posted, dynamited, RDO’d, spiked, gasketed, ringed (Larry's), and grill cloth blinged! Done this on my own? Not a chance. Thanks to Raife and all who forged easy to follow upgrades. At least a 100% improvement in sound and my personal listening pleasure! :cheesygrin:Pass XP-10 preamp, Parasound A21 amp, Pioneer Elite DV-58AV (Ric Shultz modded), Audioquest Sky IC's, No longer need my Sunfire sub after mods...
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2013
    You didn't mention the polyfill! Stock or replacement???

Great work, as always. Thanks for posting!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2013
    Ray,

Thank you for yet one more great write-up and great pictures -- what a list of great threads!

This summary should be invaluable reading for all those who are out there -- or who will be out there in the future -- and who are looking for ways to get the most out of there Polk SDAs.

Like many others, I could not have done what I have done to improve my SDA SRS1.2s and 1Cs without your many threads that show the way and document your results in convincing ways.

This thread makes it easier for those to follow.

Sincere thanks!

PS: I have auditioned speakers ranging up to $100k MSRP and more, and as good as they sound, they do not produce the SDA effect that, IMHO, distinguishes the vintage, upgraded (or stock) Polk SDAs from any other speakers you can buy at any price.

Onward and upward -- or should I say, onward and downward, further into the rabbit hole! :smile:
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2013
    Had I not already given my left one just to keep my hair past the age of 35, I definitely would do it just to get the chance to spend some time admiring the workmanship, the beauty and the sound of that system, in person. :cool:

VERY well done, DK!
  • audiomagnate
    audiomagnate Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    Those have to be the nicest Polks on the planet.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited April 2013
    -- or who will be out there in the future --

"In the future". I can imagine X years from now, someone picking up a set of SDA's at an estate sale and asking how to make improvements on a "vintage" set of speakers.
    Couresty of DK, that person will have all the answers to the "How" and "Why" right here, with links to the nuts and bolts.
    Throw in your own superlative adjective(s) here to describe the effort and documentation; I don't have any to do it justice.

Acknowledging the input/assistance/suggestions from those involved is, btw, pretty classy. Very, very nice.
    Sal Palooza
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    No Spikes or did I miss that?

Polk recommends using either the bass brace or spikes, although I have read of people using both. In my room, the bass brace sounded better than spikes. I have not tried using the bass brace and spikes together.
    vmaxer wrote: »
    DK, now it would seem that you are all out of something to do with this hobby.....I can help!:surprised:

Noooooo...there is always something to tweak...something lust after.:wink:
    I can drive up my 1.2tl's and swap them out with yours and you will have the pleasure of not being bored any longer:redface:

If I had the storage space, I wouldn't mind having two pairs of stock 1.2TL's: one for spare parts and one for research and demonstration purposes to show the huge difference between the modded and stock speakers.
    Wont cost you a dime:mrgreen:

That's very generous of you, but taking advantage of you like that would bother my conscious.:cry:
    dcoil wrote: »
    Did you say yours were for sale:cheesygrin:

Yes, look for them in the Flea Market on April 1, 2014. I should be bored with them by then.
    dcoil wrote: »
    I know that sounds preposterous to a lot of audiophiles, but I've auditioned speakers costing >$10K with high dollar electronics I wouldn't trade even for my SRS's.

In my case it has been speakers costing $15,000 (B&W 802 Diamond) to $24,000 (B&W 800 Diamond) to $35,000 (Dunlavy SC-VI).

For me, SDAs are like the nice looking all around good woman with good character that you have a long-term serious relationship with. Other exotic high performance speakers, to date, have been more like the super hot woman who's good in bed but you only want to have a fling with her.

While we are on the subject of other speakers, I thought the boutique capacitor connoisseurs among us would be interested in knowing that two of the world's most revered loudspeaker brands, Dunlavy and Dynaudio, used/use (Dunlavy went out of business) the allegedly "harsh" sounding Solen capacitors in their crossovers. Both companies also used/use ceramic metallic resistors in their crossovers (SDA stock resistors are ceramic metallic type).

SC-V-Crossover-s_zpsaa15c863.jpg
    Dunlavy SC-V ($15,000 per pair) crossover with Solen capacitors and ceramic metallic resistors.

DYNEvidencePlatinumCrossover-Solen_zps8541599b.jpg
    Dynaudio Evidence Platinum ($85,000 per pair) crossover with Solen capacitors and ceramic metallic resistors.

I wonder if Face and F1nut would accept a free pair of Dynaudio Evidence Platinums if the condition was that they could never tweak the crossovers.:twisted:

I was curious about what Wilson audio used in their crossovers, but apparently that is a closely guarded secret:

"I knew there was no point in opening the Sophia 2 to examine the crossover network because after Wilson Audio has built its crossovers, it places them inside a large container into which it pours a slow-setting epoxy compound. When the epoxy dries, all the components—inductors, capacitors and resistors—are buried forever inside it, a process Wilson Audio refers to as ‘potting’. According to Trent Workman, of Wilson, this is for two reasons. Firstly and most importantly he told me, ‘the crossovers sound better when they’re potted.’ Also important, this process means the crossovers will stay within specification even if they’re subjected to rough treatment while the speakers are being transported and shipped. The exact make-up of Wilson Audio’s crossovers is also a closely-guarded secret, with all the parts hidden away if you go on a factory tour, but Workman told me I’d find Multicap capacitors and air-cored inductors inside." [Link: Wilson Audio Sophia II Review - AV Hub]
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    nspindel wrote: »
    You didn't mention the polyfill! Stock or replacement???

Stock. Thanks for mentioning that. I did consider replacing the polyfill. Ken Swauger suggested a replacement material, but I could not find any conclusive evidence of a "better", rather than just "different" material.

When I can bring myself to taking my speakers apart again, I will experiment with adding strips of Sonic Barrier Black Hole 5 to the wall behind the drivers.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2013
    I bet your grill frames are stock as well....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2013

In my case it has been speakers costing $15,000 (B&W 802 Diamond) to $24,000 (B&W 800 Diamond) to $35,000 (Dunlavy SC-VI).

For me, SDAs are like the nice looking all around good woman with good character that you have a long-term serious relationship with. Other exotic high performance speakers, to date, have been more like the super hot woman who's good in bed but you only want to have a fling with her.

There's DK, reigning Polkie of the Year, churning out more sig material right there! :biggrin:

Worth noting, I've tended to find said hotties quite fatiguing. :cool:
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2013
    Nice write up, Raife, and thanks for all the clear and concise DIY threads. You've made it possible and easy for those of us with less than an EE degree to follow in your footsteps.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    nspindel wrote: »
    I bet your grill frames are stock as well....

They are, but I consider them part of the cabinet.

By the way, I ordered a sheet of Black Hole 5 today. One 24" x 27" sheet is enough to treat both speakers. I'm not looking forward to gutting my speakers (again) though.:sad:

The reports by drumminman and Polkmaster1 on this mod were very informative and encouraging.
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    They are, but I consider them part of the cabinet.

By the way, I ordered a sheet of Black Hole 5 today. One 24" x 27" sheet is enough to treat both speakers. I'm not looking forward to gutting my speakers (again) though.:sad:

The reports by drumminman and Polkmaster1 on this mod were very informative and encouraging.

I have had BH5 in mine for a couple of years now, and it's not coming out. I want to tell you, you will be happy with it, but after the dueland resistors I will be waiting to hear what you think about it..

Just don't do the entire cabinet with it like some other schmuck did a few years ago..:cry:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Just don't do the entire cabinet with it like some other schmuck did a few years ago..:cry:

I recall you doing the Sonic Barrier mod, but I didn't recall the BH 5 mod.

I am just going to put strips behind the drivers and tweeters similar to what drumminman did with his 2.3TLs.
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Yep I did use SB for a moment then moved on to BH5, and yes just behind the drivers and a little behind the tweeters, I also have 2" wide strips on the sides of the cabinets behind the drivers as well..
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2013
    I also have 2" wide strips on the sides of the cabinets behind the drivers as well..

Did you use a single 2" wide strip down each side in the driver area or multiple 2" strips? How long were the side strips?
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Did you use a single 2" wide strip down each side in the driver area or multiple 2" strips? How long were the side strips?

A single 2" down each side.

I cut four strips 4" wide, and four strips 2" wide, that used up one piece of BH5, I then used small pieces of SB behind the tweeters..

I love the results, it really cleaned up the mids..
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited April 2013
    A single 2" down each side.

I cut four strips 4" wide, and four strips 2" wide, that used up one piece of BH5, I then used small pieces of SB behind the tweeters..

I love the results, it really cleaned up the mids..
    When you installed the BH5 did you put the polyfill back in place or do you leave it out?
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    TennMan wrote: »
    When you installed the BH5 did you put the polyfill back in place or do you leave it out?

Polyfill back in place..
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2013
    I recall you doing the Sonic Barrier mod, but I didn't recall the BH 5 mod.

I am just going to put strips behind the drivers and tweeters similar to what drumminman did with his 2.3TLs.

Now that you've become acquainted with the sound of your new Pass Mono Blocks and the SQ improvement they've brought it'll be interesting to see how the BH 5 mod affects your speakers. I would guess that you would experience what I, TF and others have, but the proof is in the pudding.

Looking forward to your impressions.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • locnguyen26
    locnguyen26 Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
  • locnguyen26
    locnguyen26 Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    thanks for all the pictures!!!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited May 2013
    Yes, look for them in the Flea Market on April 1, 2014. I should be bored with them by then.

You aren't bored with them already Ray? Perhaps if you just listen to them a little more?:razz:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2013
    Great info, I need to get to work on mine.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus