The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.2 - Upgrade to 1000VA Transformer

123457»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2013
    Sal, you don't want a square cut out for the Neutrik, you want a one inch round hole. Then you need to drill two small holes for the M3 screws used to attach the connector to the plate.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Is there a chart here or one that you can post that tells me which wires I should soldered to each numbered tab?

Red/Yellow (right pin) to 1+
    Black/Orange (right blade) to 1-
    Grey/Brown (left pin) to 1+
    Blue/Violet (left blade) to 1-

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    If I want the NL4 to be flush mounted on the back panel just like Larry did with binding cup replacement panel he made then I will need a square hole.

Larry made the recess for the Neutrik in the Derlin backing plate, not in the metal faceplate and if I'm reading him right he's not making a recess in the back of the new metal plate you want. In fact, the metal isn't thick enough to do that. The metal plate is a hair under 5mm thick, call it 4.9mm. The flange on the Neutrik connector is 4.5mm thick....ain't gonna work.
    The NL4's have 4 Blades each. Trey tells me that he is making an Interconnect cable with 4 Wires, so he will be soldering one wire to each blade.

The Avel Transformer has 8 wires, so I guess each wire will have its own Blade?

The Neutrik has 4 blades marked 1+, 1-, 2+ & 2-

I'm familiar with the NL4, I was the first to use it here. What you are purposing makes no sense. You have to wire the transformer as stated and you only use two of the four connection tabs on the Neutriks.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Sal, here's a pic to help you see how it's wired.

DSC01998.jpg

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Ok, that's not exactly what Larry did, but I get what you're saying now. Mind you it still won't be completely flush as the round flange will stand 2.5mm proud.

Do you understand the wiring now?

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited March 2013
    I wanted to elaborate that we are doing shotgun wiring to increase the gauge so you would wire 1plus and 2plus together and the negatives together...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    I see no advantage to that, nor is increasing the gauge always a good idea. Anyway, in order for that wiring scheme to work you will have to sum the + and - wires at the speaker end into one each anyway, so why not just twist up a double run and connect as standard. Certainly save some bother and soldering time that way.

President of Club Polk

• Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited March 2013
    With interconnects and wire gage, the only consideration is mechanical robustness. This is a voltage signal not a power signal so the current flow is minimal.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Lasareath wrote: »
    What gauge is your Interconnect cable?

No idea.
    I thought the more conductors you have the better?, To eliminate skin effect?

There's more to it than the number of conductors and the final gauge, but speaking to gauge alone you wouldn't want to use 24 gauge, but you wouldn't want 2 gauge welding cable either.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    I'll bet if you measured that hole you used the 1" bit on it's going to be larger than 1". The holes on my enclosures are exactly one inch and the connector covers the hole with no problem. The difference is these were laser cut verses drilled. However, I can save the day for you Sal. Order part #092-094 from Parts Express. It's a sealing gasket for D-sized Neutrik connectors and will completely cover the oops.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited March 2013
    Sal, why not have someone make a custom plate for this, drill and tap new threads for said plate and either paint it black or leave it the color of the plate? Add some sealant/gasket material and call it a day. Just a thought. It's your project.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited March 2013
    Pm me your number and give me a good time to call tomorrow to discuss. I have a long overdue date with the pillow right now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Hmmmm.....look around on Neutrik's site as they may have something larger. Or another idea, if you enlarge the big hole going downward a bit (try to center the Neutrik between the top and bottom), then add the sealing gasket it might just cover everything. The gasket spreads out slightly as you tighten the screws, which will help. Best to measure things first. The compressed gasket will measure 1 5/8" top to bottom.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    There ya go, Sal and it will be your own unique enclosure.

President of Club Polk