Options

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Nice job Larry.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,930
    edited October 2012
    Options
    09-07-12003.jpg

Old cups anybody need a modded set?

09-07-12015.jpg
    09-07-12016.jpg

Mounted the 16mh inductor

09-07-12008.jpg
    09-07-12009.jpg

New mounted binding post plates!! FINALLY!!!!:biggrin:

09-07-12010.jpg
    09-07-12012.jpg
    09-07-12013.jpg
    09-07-12019.jpg
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited October 2012
    Options
    i am humbled. Amazing.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I would love to visit NJ someday..

Thanks fellas..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Smokin hot audio **** right there folks.
    Nice Larry I'm jealous
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Dude, that's sic!!

How much for the old cups? :p
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    Dude, that's sic!!

How much for the old cups? :p

Thanks!! I think it gives it a more hi end look.. I will let you know about the cups cincycat pm'ed me last night about them..
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Cool! Quick tip, I would connect your main speaker cable to the HF posts, and jump "down" to your LF. Probably doesn't make a significant difference, but I'm anal. I like the better quality wire feeding the upper freq's first.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That is slick!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Thanks!! I think it gives it a more hi end look.. I will let you know about the cups cincycat pm'ed me last night about them..

No worries if they are gone. I'm probably going to just send my cups directly to Trey when he does my upgrades. I wanna use the Cardas posts and go neutrink for the AI-1.

Only a matter of time until folks start bugging ya to make a batch of these. I'll stick to cups since I don't own a router or know how to get that cut proper.

I really admire the mod.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful work, Toolfan66.

Like some others, I wish I had the know how to make this mod on my speakers.

Thank you for posting this thread.

A newbie question: I assume the large inductor on the bottom of the speaker cabinet is the SDA inductor. Is it mounted permanently there? Does that affect the performance of the PR?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    No worries if they are gone. I'm probably going to just send my cups directly to Trey when he does my upgrades. I wanna use the Cardas posts and go neutrink for the AI-1.

Only a matter of time until folks start bugging ya to make a batch of these. I'll stick to cups since I don't own a router or know how to get that cut proper.

I really admire the mod.

These are Cardas Posts, that is all I use..:cool: I will let you know by the end of the day..
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks!! I think it gives it a more hi end look..

Outstanding as usual!!
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Outstanding as usual!!

What?, would you expect anything else from Larry. All kidding aside it's really nice to see that quality craftsmanship hasn't completely died out in this country.

Larry, email coming your way via you work address.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Very nice, Larry! It definitely adds a bit of extra class to the speakers over the plastic cups...
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Very impressive :cool: - I want a pair!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Phenominal Larry!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Most impressive! High marks on the binding post plate! Makes you want to mount mirrors on the wall behind the speaker to show them off.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Moose68Bash
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I also spent some time building two MDF plates to mount the 16mh inductors to. They have been sitting on the bottom of the speakers for some time now.

I cut two pieces 10"X 10" drilled a hole in the center, routed a small shoulder and put in a tee-nut. I routed the shoulder so it would fit flush to the bottom. I then drilled four holes and used a counter sink bit for four wood screws to secure the MDF to the floor of the speaker.

Toolfan66, I'm not clear about the meaning of "I routed the shoulder so it would fit flush to the bottom." What I don't understand is the reason the piece of MDF would not fit "flush to the bottom" without any routing. I'm getting new inductors for my SRS 1.2s and need to mount them somewhere, and your solution to this problem seems like the best one, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• RickTfromAZ
    RickTfromAZ Posts: 122
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I believe Larry is talking about routering a "recess" for the tee-nut.
  • Moose68Bash
    edited October 2012
    Options

Rick, that certainly makes sense, and it sounds right. Thanks.

• Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options

That is correct..
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Ray,

Did they make it OK?
  • DarqueKnight
    edited October 2012
    Options
    They did and they are installed.:biggrin:
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Where's the pics big guy??

BTW I am feeling better, Thanks..
  • DarqueKnight
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Where's the pics big guy??

They are in my computer waiting for me to complete my listening evaluation.
    BTW I am feeling better, Thanks..

Glad to hear that.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I want a set
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • DarqueKnight
    edited October 2012
    Options
    My SDA SRS 1.2TL's turned 23 years old this month. I wanted to give them a nice birthday present.

I opted not to do the flush mounting that Larry (Toolfan66) did for two reasons:

1. I have not used a router since high school woodworking class. I have plenty of scrap MDF to practice on, but while I was contemplating the purchase of a router and associated accessories, it dawned on me that I did not want to take time to practice getting getting all that precision cutting just right. In the future, when I'm more dedicated to audio than I am now, I might go back and route out insets for the plates.

2. Without flush mounting, the rim of the binding post plate only extends 1/8" above the rear of the speaker. This is still more visually pleasing and more mechanically stable than the stock plate.

2BPlates-Posts-Jumpers-Lt-s.jpg
    Figure 1. All set! Delrin/Aluminum binding post plates, Cardas CCGR-L gold-plated tellurium copper binding
    posts, and AudioQuest Perfect Surface Copper jumpers with silver plated bananas.

3ATemplateClose-s.jpg
    Figure 2. Oh Monoliths...what have I done to you? You have big holes in your backs.

All drilling and cutting was done with the speakers standing upright. Two rubber doorstops were placed in front of the speakers to prevent "walking". A jigsaw was used to cut the rectangular hole using the edge of 3/4" painter's tape strips as guide lines. Two inch wide strips of painters tape were used to prevent the base of the jigsaw from scratching the cabinet's surface.

3LDuskMask-s.jpg
    Figure3. Essential protection against toxic dust.

Dunes of dust were generated from cutting a 4-1/4" x 6-5/8" hole. A dust mask and enclosed safety glasses were required. In retrospect, it would have been good to have another person vacuuming the dust as it was generated. MDF generates two types of dust: the heavy sawdust that falls to the floor and the misty, powdery dust that suspends in air and forms a cloud around the workspace. The dust is an eye, nose and throat irritant and has been shown to be carcinogenic in lab rats...and audio naysayers.

3CPlateFitting-s.jpg
    Figure 4.Test fitting.

3DFinalWiring-s.jpg
    Figure 5. Final wiring. A 1/2" wide strip of Armacell foam tape was applied as a gasket.

3EInstalled-s.jpg
    Figure 6. Installed. My plates were installed with the top of the plate butting against the bottom of the rear
    label. This provided enough room for the bottom binding posts to clear the large inductor in front of them.
    It is a very elegant and high end aesthetic.

Since I did not flush mount the plates, the 3/4" hex head cap screws Larry included were a little too short. Fortunately, I had some 1-1/4" screws. I like the contrasting look of the black anodized screw heads against the aluminum plate. The aluminum face plates are a nice compliment to my 1.2TL's exotic wood finishes.

LeftCapFigure001-cr-s1.jpg
    Figure 7. SDA SRS 1.2TL custom tiger maple end cap.

SideStripFar-s.jpg
    Figure 8. SDA SRS 1.2TL custom tiger maple side strip.

3FRing-s.jpg
    Figure 9. Steel retaining ring behind plate.

3HRing-SDAInd2-s.jpg
    Figure 10. I had to make sure the bottom binding posts cleared the 2" height of the SDA inductor.

01OLD0121_2TL_BindingPosts-s.jpg
    Figure 11. The former binding posts and plate.

3JPlate-CablesClo-s.jpg
    Figure 12. The sleek new binding post plate in brushed aluminum with thick Delrin base.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Cool! Quick tip, I would connect your main speaker cable to the HF posts, and jump "down" to your LF. Probably doesn't make a significant difference, but I'm anal. I like the better quality wire feeding the upper freq's first.

I'm a bass-head/SDA imaging-head, so I want the better quality wire feeding the low frequency and SDA circuits first. Also, this is the configuration recommended on page 7 of the SDA SRS 1.2TL manual:

"In normal use jumpers are used to connect the black terminals together and the red terminals together. The amplifier is then connected only to the lower set of red and black terminals."

Some Intrigue

The former binding post plates had the HF binding posts removed and the HF and LF wires were soldered to the same single pair of binding posts. I did the right speaker first and did a quick listening evaluation to confirm that there were no connectivity or assembly problems. I first used the AudioQuest jumpers. I was surprised at the smeared, boomy bass and loss of high frequency detail on the right. I put in some homemade jumpers and they sounded better than the AQ jumpers, but not as clear and detailed as the non-jumpered connection on the left. I knew that the AQ jumpers would require some break in time, but I did not expect them to sound that bad. I waited to do the left speaker and let music play at normal listening level (85 dB-C). The AQ jumpers use three solid polished surface copper conductors with an aggregate wire gauge of 15. The AQ bananas are direct silver plated over beryllium copper.

3MHomemadeJumpers-s.jpg
    Figure 13. Homemade jumpers made from DSR Silverline speaker cable. This is a hybrid copper/silver-plated
    copper cable with a cross sectional area of 6 square millimeters. This places the wire gauge between 10
    gauge (5.26 mm^2) and 9 gauge (6.63 mm^2). The bananas are Monster Cable gold-plated brass.

Over a period of three hours, the right side, with the AQ jumpers, improved to the point where it sounded better than the left. There was a little more overall clarity, detail and image weight. The right side also sounded louder. This was a counter-intuitive result because I expected the right side to either come close to or equal the sound on the left. The left side had the wires from the HF and LF sections of the crossover directly connected to a single pair of binding posts. The right side had the AQ jumpers between the LF and HF binding posts, with the speaker cable connected to the LF posts. Sometimes, Such Good Sound pops up in unexpected places. So far, after 17 hours of play time past the initial 3 hours, I have not heard further improvement. AudioQuest recommends a break in time of 100 hours. The AQ jumpers were purchased out of curiosity. I did not expect them to outperform my home made jumpers.

I sent my initial listening results to AudioQuest. I received this reply:

==================================================================================================
    "As for your experience, the stranded cable is the biggest culprit. The interaction between strands is responsible for the worst type of distortion in a cable. This is why (almost all) our cables (and Jumpers) use solid conductors.

Secondly, using a single 10 awg conductor is introducing skin effect problems. Multiple small gauge conductors avoid this issue.

Thirdly, the soldered connections don't help. In our higher end interconnects, digital & video cables as well as HDMI cables, we don't solder, and haven't done in a long time (around 20 years or so). We use a proprietary "Cold Weld" system that provides a "mechanical connection," always the best type of connection to make. In the same way, all speaker cables use a connector that provide a "mechanical connection."

Add it all up and the accumulation of distortion is giving you these results. The aim is to keep distortion to a minimum. Biwiring the speakers would give you the minimum amount of distortion with aftermarket Jumpers as the next best thing to do.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick - Customer Service
    AudioQuest"

==================================================================================================

PS Audio also uses cold welded terminations for their cables. It sucks that my soldered connections were electrically noisier...even though I used such good audiophile quality Cardas Quad-Eutectic solder.

I have had mixed results with biwiring (and biamping). A brochure for the SDA SRS TL series does not mention Biwiring, but highly recommends biamping:

"For even greater dynamic range and lower distortion, the SRS loudspeakers may be connected for Bi-Amplification using the two sets of inputs provided on each loudspeaker. By permitting different amplifiers to reproduce the high and low frequencies separately, the SRS loudspeakers achieve their greatest sonic potential."

The SDA SRS 1.2TL manual devotes 1.5 pages to biamping and casually discusses biwiring in only one paragraph.

Thanks to Larry for sharing more of his machinist's art.
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Man, that tiger maple is gorgeous!! You guys do some amazing things on this forum
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2012
    Options
    How can I get these??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5