Goodbye Binding Post Cup. 1.2tl's

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,959
edited February 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I am in process of eliminating my binding post cups. I am machining a set of binding post plates 5.300 x 7.650 in size and will have 3 sets of Cardas binding post's per plate, one set will be for my AI-1 Dreadnought SDA Cable.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime now. I am using .400 thick delrin to make my plates, and I have already made my custom rings for the new plates.

The fun part will be cutting out my new holes, and routering the sholder in to house the new plates in the cabinets.:cool:

I will post some pics as I move along with this project..:cheesygrin:
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    edited June 2012
    Options
    man i can't wait to see that. very cool
    I'm surprised you didn't do something like Trey did with the metal plate and very cool laser engraving.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Larry, want to save some money and confusion for others, use Speakon 2 pole connectors for your SDA cable. It securely locks into place and will prevent someone from connecting the SDA cable to another binding post on accident. I've used them in speaker builds before and have seen them used in $100,000 speakers, so I wouldn't worry about any sound degradation.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-058

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-059
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    What a hell of an idea Face.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Larry, that's a cool idea. I can't wait to see them.

I'm using Neutrik Speakon connectors for my AI-1 Dreadnought SDA cable, but I'm using the 4 pole version because the cable I'll be using is 20mm in diameter and there's no way the 2 pole version will work. Even the 4 pole version required a little reworking as the opening was only 16mm. Thank God for my Dremel. :cool:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I just used different color shrink tubing on the binding post, Red +. Black -, Blue SDA.

Maybe it's just me but why would you let anybody plug anything into your speakers let alone touch them. :eek:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,125
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I contemplated having SDA terminal cups made - they would not say Vr3 but I was thinking something as simple as...

Polk Audio then SDA below it... :)

Not sure if there would be any interest in such beasts??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Can't wait to see what you're up to Larry!

Can we see a design Trey? I think people would be interested, but would want a better idea of the material used to make them and what they would look like.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It would be a solid aluminum plate, just like my Vr3 plates - predrilled for all the holes, laser engraved - the edges would be softened but not chamfered

I have not gone to deep in this rabit hole though :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I love it.
    Never boring around here.Always new ideas.Always cool stuff.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    brgman wrote: »
    I love it.
    Never boring around here.Always new ideas.Always cool stuff.

I've modded my cars to go faster and sound louder. I build and mod computers. But never did I think I would get into modding home speakers.

Some make sense and others are a little bit of bling.
  • RickTfromAZ
    RickTfromAZ Posts: 122
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Larry,

I did something similar a couple of years ago. Sounds like you are going for a flush-fit appearance which will look fantastic. I purchased some blank plates (recessed) from Parts Express and installed 3 sets of posts. Here are some pics.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Rick, Looks like your SDA cables are touching or is it just the pic.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Larry, want to save some money and confusion for others, use Speakon 2 pole connectors for your SDA cable. It securely locks into place and will prevent someone from connecting the SDA cable to another binding post on accident. I've used them in speaker builds before and have seen them used in $100,000 speakers, so I wouldn't worry about any sound degradation.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-058

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-059

I thought about those but I like the ease of using bananas with any speaker cable I might try, also these will be tagged..

When I decide to try an external x over system I plan on using these.
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Larry,

I did something similar a couple of years ago. Sounds like you are going for a flush-fit appearance which will look fantastic. I purchased some blank plates (recessed) from Parts Express and installed 3 sets of posts. Here are some pics.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Looks good Rick!!
  • RickTfromAZ
    edited June 2012
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Rick, Looks like your SDA cables are touching or is it just the pic.

Hi Tony,

Your right, they are touching. Luckily, the spades are insulated from the from the rest of the connector. Those are 6 awg cables and a mother to work with.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Well I am in process of eliminating my binding post cups. I am machining a set of binding post plates 5.300 x 7.650 in size and will have 3 sets of Cardas binding post's per plate, one set will be for my AI-1 Dreadnought SDA Cable.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime now. I am using .400 thick delrin to make my plates, and I have already made my custom rings for the new plates.

I will post some pics as I move along with this project..:cheesygrin:

Hmmm!

Maybe if this works well, there will be another Larry SDA product in the offering. Cool idea!
    Carl

• Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Front Side, will finish face tomorrow..

06-29-12139.jpg

Back side with ring..

06-29-12136.jpg

06-29-12137.jpg

06-29-12132.jpg

06-29-12140.jpg
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nice work Larry! I like it when a plan comes together, esp. if it's been baking for awhile in your head.......:idea:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RickTfromAZ
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Excellent work Larry! That is going to look so clean once you add the posts and finish the installation. Wow!
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2012
    Options
    07-13-12022.jpg

Finished my cover plates:cool:

07-13-12024.jpg

I have a few items to pick up before I dig into this project. I also need the time as well:cool:
  • F1nut
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Oh look, more wood in the background.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited July 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Oh look, more wood in the background.

LOL!!:razz:
  • StuartB
    StuartB Posts: 87
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    07-13-12022.jpg

Finished my cover plates:cool:

07-13-12024.jpg

I have a few items to pick up before I dig into this project. I also need the time as well:cool:

Very nice work.......
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    Options
    That is excellent Larry. Maybe some pics after you get them installed.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • RickTfromAZ
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Beautiful. Absolutely Beautiful. Larry you are an artisan. What process was used for adding the finish? Let the routering begin!
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I finally had a chance to get back to work on this mod today, it is really looking good, I cut the holes in the back of the cabs with two router fixtures I made.

This should make Ray happy now that I know these are good to go...

I will post some pics after the game!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I love the new look:cheesygrin:
    09-30-12018.jpg
    Look of the old..
    09-30-12019.jpg
    Router fixture in place..
    09-30-12020.jpg
    Finished cut..:loneranger:
    09-30-12025.jpg
    Test fit..
    09-30-12024.jpg
    Holes drilled for rings..
    09-30-12026.jpg
    Shot rings with a coat of paint..
    09-30-12027.jpg
    Installed rings..
    09-30-12028.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I also spent some time building two MDF plates to mount the 16mh inductors to. They have been sitting on the bottom of the speakers for some time now.

I cut two pieces 10"X 10" drilled a hole in the center, routed a small shoulder and put in a tee-nut. I routed the shoulder so it would fit flush to the bottom. I then drilled four holes and used a counter sink bit for four wood screws to secure the MDF to the floor of the speaker.

09-30-12029.jpg

09-30-12030.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited September 2012
    Options
    No going back now! :lol:

Seriously, looking good.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looks great!