Polkfest 2012

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2012
    All I know is Al, that before I leave this World I will attend at least one more PF. I had a blast the last time I attended and just too many things happened this year for me not to attend.
    I await the next PF that I will be able to attend. You guys are great.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2012
    And we can't wait to see you Al!

X2 always a great time with you guy guys.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2012
    Introduction

The 10th annual Polkfest was held at Polk Audio's corporate headquarters in Baltimore, MD September 21 and 22, 2012. This Polkfest coincided with Polk's 40th anniversary! I would like to thank the following participants for their efforts as facilitators, tour guides and demonstrators:

Polk Audio, Inc. executives: Joe Tristani, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Al Ballard, Vice President of Marketing, Stu Lumsden, Vice President of Engineering.

Tour guides and facilitators: From Marketing - Dan Birzak, Debra DelGrosso, Greg O'Rourke, Scott Olson, Shelia Edwards, Jenny Suskind, Mark Nestor; From Inside Sales - Nick Cappolloni; From Engineering - Mike Estler.

Product demonstrations and technical tutorials: Brad Saylor, Systems Engineer, Dave Fitzpatrick, Director of Mechanical Design, Anthony Kopher, Assistant Manager, Polk Store, Steve Tourison, Mechanical Design Engineer, Brad Starobin, Director of Acoustics, Ken Chae, Director of Industrial Design, Scott Orth, Systems Engineer.

If I missed anyone, let me or a moderator know so the list can be edited.

Day One

We began at 9:30am with introductory remarks by Al Ballard. We were then split into small groups for technical and product overview tours. After lunch, Stu Lumsden and Al Ballard presented information on the developmental process of Polk's current product lines. The day officially ended with an awards ceremony. After the day's program closed, a few of us went over to Montaghan's pub for dinner and drinks.

001AlBWelcome-s.jpg
    Figure 1. Al Ballard, VP of Marketing, welcomes Polkies to the 10th Annual Polkfest.

002ConfRmRear-s.jpg
    Figure 2. Attendees.

003ConfRoomFront-s.jpg
    Figure 3. Attendees.

004Patrick-Jon-s.jpg
    Figure 4. Two members of Polk's website team: Patrick (left) and Jon.

005Cathy-s.jpg
    Figure 5. Hi Cathy (cfrizz). Cathy and her brother Mark.

006StuOrientation-s.jpg
    Figure 6. Stu Lumsden, VP of Engineering, gives some orientation remarks prior to technical and product
    information tours.

007ScottOrthEngineering-s.jpg
    Figure 7. Scott Orth, Systems Engineer, discusses crossover design.

008BradSaylorEngineering-s.jpg
    Figure 8. Brad Saylor, Systems Engineer, discusses driver design.

009Stu-BradStarobin-AcousticsChamber-s.jpg
    Figure 9. Stu discusses the activities of the acoustics research lab. At the rear is Brad Starobin, Director of
    Acoustics.

010AcousticsTestingChamber-s.jpg
    Figure 10. Acoustics research lab.

011BradStarobinAcousticsChamber-s.jpg
    Figure 11. Brad Starobin at work in the acoustics research lab.

012KenChaeIndustDesign-s.jpg
    Figure 12. Ken Chae, Director of Industrial Design, discusses the physical and aesthetic design process of the
    LSiM series.

013DaveFitzpatrickMechDesign-s.jpg
    Figure 13. Dave Fitzpatrick, Director of Mechanical Design, discusses the mechanical design process for the
    new headphone and earphone products.

014SteveTourisonMechDesEngr-s.jpg
    Figure 14. Steve Tourison, Mechanical Engineer, demonstrates the laser resin fabrication process used to
    create mock-ups of new products and component parts.

015StuDriverTestRoom-s.jpg
    Figure 15. Stu discusses the driver test room.

016DriverinFloor-s.jpg
    Figure 16. New product: In-floor speakers! Not really...this is how drivers are mounted for testing due to the
    favorable acoustic location.

017LaserInterferomerDemo-s.jpg
    Figure 17. Laser interferometer driver testing demonstration. L-R, Anthony (amulford), John (jaycee),
    Debra Delgrosso, Marketing Manager (and tour guide), Trey, (VR3).

018LaserInterferometer-s.jpg
    Figure 18. Laser interferometer driver testing rig.

019StuOminousPointing-s.jpg
    Figure 19. This picture has ominous overtones doesn't it? Stu is pointing the way to the "special chamber"
    where captured forum trolls are detained, "tuned up" and "attitude adjusted". I thoroughly enjoyed
    "questioning" some of my favorite trolls.

020AlBaronSB9000Demo-s.jpg
    Figure 20. Al Baron, Product Line Manager, demonstrates the new Soundbar 9000 system, which is not yet
    commercially available.

021Soundbar9000Demo-s.jpg
    Figure 21. Soundbar 9000 demo.

022LSiMHT-s.jpg
    Figure 22. LSiM home theater demo with three MicroPro 4000 subs.

023LSiM7072ChRm-s.jpg
    Figure 23. Two channel room with flagship LSiM 707 speakers.

024LSiM707Top-s.jpg
    Figure 24. Top of the LSiM 707 speaker. The fit and finish (and sound) of the LSiM series is outstanding!

025LSiMPosts-s.jpg
    Figure 25. Elegant LSiM 707 binding posts...and AudioQuest bi-wire speaker cables.

026AnthonyKopherPolkStrAstMgr-s.jpg
    Figure 26. Anthony Kopher, Polk Store Assistant Manager, demonstrates Polk's line of headphones and
    earphones. I was very impressed with the sound quality, comfort, appearance and features of these phones.
    Prior to this visit, I was not aware that Polk have moved into that market. Each Polkfest attendee received a
    set of UltraFocus 6000 earphones.

027SRTsNIB-s.jpg
    Figure 27. I spotted a new-in-box SRT System way up high in the warehouse. I suggested to the warehouse
    manager that he should sell it to me since they obviously weren't using it. He said it had been sitting in
    storage since 1995 and he didn't think anyone would miss it. Besides, there was another set in storage.
    I gave him $300 cash and he told me to come back Sunday morning and pick up the boxes.

028AlBallard-DKPOTYAward-s.jpg
    Figure 28. Al Ballard presents the Polkie of the Year award to...me.

030DKHeadphones-s.jpg
    Figure 29. My POTY gift was a set of UltraFocus 8000 headphones with my forum name engraved on the
    headband. Thanks!!

029SwagBag-s.jpg
    Figure 30. Polkfest Swag!

031Al-Jesse-s.jpg
    Figure 31. Jesse (F1nut) received an award for his efforts supporting Polk at audio shows. Mark (dorokusai)
    and Russ (Russman) were also honored.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2012
    Day Two

Stu offered the use of his home on day two for a social gathering from 12pm-10pm.

032StusBackyard-s.jpg
    Figure 32. Stu's backyard setup.

033JoeTristani-s.jpg
    Figure 33. The fellow at the left is Polk Senior VP and Chief Operating Officer Joe Tristani.

034HedyKlopfer-s.jpg
    Figure 34. Hi Hedy! Hedy Klopfer, Inside Sales Account Manager.

035LSiM705-s.jpg
    Figure 35. LSiM's set up in Stu's living room.

036Raffle-s.jpg
    Figure 36. Just before dinner, a raffle benefitting the Githens Center (www.githenscenter.org) was held.
    Githens is a facility which serves developmentally disabled children and adults. A total of $1300 was raised,
    $800 from Polkies and $500 from Polk COO Joe Tristani. Polk and forum members donated items for the
    raffle. Ted (RT1) is officiating.

036aPolk-Audio-IES3-1-s.jpg
    Figure 37. My first ever raffle winning: a Polk I-Sonic Entertainment System 3.

When I arrived at Stu's house, I noticed that the entrance to his driveway was roped off. I thought he was just keeping people from blocking his driveway. I later found out that the driveway needed to be clear for the huge catering truck from Salerno's (www.salernos.com) that showed up at 6pm. Such Good food!
    037SalernosTruck.jpg
    Figure 38. Other audio companies just feed you marketing hype. Polk offers real food.

So there you have it.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2012
    Thanks DK. Those Headphones are way too cool.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2012
    Another great mini book by DarqueKnight. Congratulations again on winning those headphones. I was so jealous that i just ordered a pair :)

Great time at Polk and great time of reconnecting with all of you guys again.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    The FOOD!

Both days!

Incredible!

The sammiches and salads at lunch were curious and different but there empty plates all around when it was done! Several people snuck back in to pilfer some leftovers for later too!

The coaxing of the riff-raff from the front step of HQ...I mean Friday night dinner with Al was at one of his favorite watering holes with some really good fried chicken products. Thanks, Al!

The lunch on Saturday was loaded with all kinds of sammiches again! They were all good and I had several samplings of each! Also, beer flowed freely! But they had these cookies that were chocolate chip cookies with crumbled up Oreos in them.....my Lord! It was like God made cookies!

Then dinner came.

Pitbeef, grilled chicken, crab cakes (oh my, the crab cakes! I think we went through 4 trays of them!)...I know I'm missing a couple others. It was all Maryland regional favorites though. There was more salads and other sides as well as some killer brownies and what seemed like a Red Velvet cake. I'm not sure though, it was getting dark and vision was a bit blurry.

I stuffed myself stupider each day!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2012
    DK, those headphones are awesome! You cant beath that....

And why must you tempt us all with that SRT eye candy...... :biggrin:

I would like to thank you for the write up. Helped me see a bit of what it was like (and kick myself even harder for not forcing a way to go)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2012
    DarqueKnight, great job on the photos and writeup on each. Getting a nice start on POTY honors for PF 2013! :cheesygrin:
    No excuses!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2012
    Fantastic reporting Ray.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 13
    edited September 2012
    Great write up indeed. I get n00b of the year for posting my pics in their own thread instead of here. :p
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2012
    Outstanding job done Raife, thanks!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited September 2012
    Once again nice job with the pictures,it nice to put names with faces.Some people look nothing like what you thought they would.
    Dan
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    Great job, DK. But I have a question for all the Polk Festers? I see a lot of VPs above. But WHO is the President? Who is the main guy, the apical head of Polk today? I see, also in another thread that Al is retiring, as a side note here. He will be missed!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    Great job, DK. But I have a question for all the Polk Festers? I see a lot of VPs above. But WHO is the President? Who is the main guy, the apical head of Polk today?

The head of Polk's parent company, DEI holdings, is also the President and CEO of Polk Audio. His name is Jim Minarik and he lives in southern California, where DEI is headquartered. The most senior Polk executive in Baltimore is Joe Tristani, SVP and COO.

http://www.deiholdings.com/Management/Default.aspx
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2012
    I would like to thank all the members, Polk Employees and others who made the Githens Center Raffle such a success. To all the members who made some great donations of audio products your generosity is terrific. It was again my honor to ramrod the raffle for George, in memory of his daughter Tiffany. I am sure she was doing cart-wheels in heaven as the membership stepped up.

A big thank-you to Mr. Tristani, Polk COO, who on behalf of Polk Audio pledged a gift of 500.00. Wow, at first I thought he was sort of kidding..but NO he was very serious. Outstanding gesture on his and POLK AUDIO's part.

We also had several members who made large donations, the top-dog turned out to be Troy..who barely eaked it out over Russ (Hoosier21), Al Ballard (who btw chooses not to take any tickets), Anthony (Amulford), and John (Jstas), each of these members made donations of at least 100.00, there were of course many other members who donated and participated and those gifts are of course very much appreciated and necessary, as it all makes this one of the most worthy things we all do as part of the forum.

Thanks to everyone, I did have alot of fun with things as the winners were announced and the tickets pulled, everyone was a good sport and the whole thing was a real blast as Patrick pulled the first winning ticket. Hedy moved at light speed to scoop up a Franklin I dropped, woman can move no doubt, as it was quickly returned. POLK AUDIO offered up some great products, Speakers, Headphones, ISonic3, great stuff, we even had a member dontate an entire POLK AUDIO HT system and when it was found one of the subs in the RT1000P was out, well, POLK AUDIO stepped up again and offered a warranty repair, great donation, great service, great company.

See everyone next year!!!

Edit...I also would like to add that I did indeed fulfill my promise to John Strongbad of a full RT1 reach around...his uh..package..will never be the same..ha! gotcha...John.

RT1
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2012
    Thanks DK
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2012
    sorry I missed PF12.. always a fun time the couple of HQ tours I've been on and the gathering the following day.

it's great reading the reactions from the first timers..

post more pics people.. can never have enough. Where is the group pic? the hardcore Polkies group pics??

later
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2012
    danger boy wrote: »
    Where is the group pic? the hardcore Polkies group pics??

That's the problem, this year's group pictures are too hardcore to be posted publicly. Al had some special entertainment flown in. This was his last PolkFest as a Polk official, as well as Polk's 40th anniversary, and he wanted to make it memorable.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012
    Hehehe...

There were a couple group shots. We were actually pretty well behaved, considering...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    The only thing that would have made this PF better is if all of the members that missed were there... I mean whats up??

Disneyjoe, Fireman, Shack, Lasareth, Russman and even Doro was fairly absent the whole fest...

Next year, South Carolina no excuses! :-P

Unfortunately life (AKA work) got in the way this year. If it hadn't been for that damn recession in 08 I might have been able to retire already and pretty much bag the whole "job" thing. I WILL be in Charleston next year. Hell, that is just a short ride over the mountains...no more than an afternoon drive.

TroyD wrote:
    I'm I the only one that is certain that I was spouting a bunch of gibberish with some substantial chunks of Saturday evening unaccounted for??

BDT
    amulford wrote:
    I was to busy kissing everybody to notice...
    Strong Bad wrote:
    I was too busy running from Antny to notice...
    amulford wrote:
    You only ran far enough to get behind the shrubs:wink:
    kab wrote:
    As always, I ate too much, drank too much and laughed too much. Al
    I also would like to add that I did indeed fulfill my promise to John Strongbad of a full RT1 reach around...his uh..package..will never be the same..ha! gotcha...John.

Now THIS is the PF I know and love.
    See everyone next year!!!

See you then Ted!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to thank everyone at Polk Audio for puting on another incredible Polkfest. It was great to see old friends and make a few new ones. I'm sorry that I wasn't my usual self, but I've been dealing with a personal issue and my head just isn't on straight.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited September 2012
    I would like to thank all those who where involved in making polkfest 2012 the most memorable polkfest iIve had the pleasure to be part of.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2012
    I hope your personal issue is resolved quickly Jesse. I will keep you in my prayers that things are resolved quickly whatever it/they may be. Take care of yourself Jesse.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2012
    I thought it was the new dye job.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2012
    It's Friday... let's do it again!! :biggrin:

Thanks again, Polk and Polkies alike! :smile:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    It's Friday... let's do it again!! :biggrin:

Thanks again, Polk and Polkies alike! :smile:

Sweet!

We havin' it at your house?

I'd offer mine but if you yahoos are coming, you'll have to help me hang sheetrock.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited September 2012
    we even had a member dontate an entire POLK AUDIO HT system and when it was found one of the subs in the RT1000P was out, well, POLK AUDIO stepped up again and offered a warranty repair, great donation, great service, great company.

Awesome of Polk to offer to fix the sub and hopefully somebody is getting good use of the speakers. Thanks to Trey and Jesse for bringing the speakers on Saturday, since I could not make it.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2012
    I thought you were your normal, charming, crackpot self Jesse. Who knew?

Thanks to Mr. Wohlford for a wonderful raffle donation.
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited September 2012
    I thought you were your normal, charming, crackpot self Jesse. Who knew?

Thanks to Mr. Wohlford for a wonderful raffle donation.

You are welcome.