Polkfest 2012

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited September 2012
    This was an incredible Polk Fest, plain and simple. I am trying to remember when I last went to HQ, it was easily 8 years ago and from my memory of back then the HQ has changed tremendously and their processes they use now are so far ahead of what they were doing then! It is simply incredible! The Surroundbar 9000 sounded absolutely incredible for a 800 dollar surround bar. I was very impressed!

I also cannot thank enough, Al Ballard for being a most generous host for us crazy Polkies Thursday and Friday night, drowning us in food and alcohol is always fun! Thank you again Al!

Stu was also a most gracious host, his house is wonderful and he to showered us with food and plenty of Alochol! There was a great array of demos to be heard here from Atrium outdoor speakers, LSI inwall system, the LSiM705 and 703, some old CRS orignals - just a great array. The LSiM705 was definitely the crowd favorite and they did sound incredible...

The best part of all is how much we raised for the Githens center, simply incredible!! With the excellent salesmanship of Ted - it was a blow out!!

I am glad I was able to attend, unfortunately Jesse has dial up so uploading my 319 pictures wont happen right now, but soon!!

Thank you Polk and I look forward to seeing everything in South Carolina next year!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2012
    Here are a few shots from the Fest. What an amazing first class event this was! I can't wait for Polk Fest 2013 in Charleston SC!

Left to right...BDT (with the Holy Grail), Antny (just getting warmed up), The Count and Jersey George
    PF2012_01.jpg

...meanwhile back at Polk HQ's...the website is getting destroyed by spammers...
    PF2012_02.jpg

The LSiM707's. Polk knocked these wayyyyy out of the park! AMAZING!
    PF2012_03.jpg

The listening couch for the LSiM707 rig. Look at the intensity on RT1's face, sunglasses and all!
    PF2012_04.jpg
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    Dude, I'm pretty sure they were 705's, not 707's.

And yeah, PF 2012 was lotsa fun! I was expecting more people to show and was kind of disappointed when they didn't. There were some new faces there and people even said they LEARNED stuff at HQ! Whoda thunk it?

The food was great, both days. The door prizes are quite lovely as well! Raised over $1300 for the Githens Center too. Special thanks to The CFO (COO? OO? Bob? Whatever the moniker was!) for pledging $500 to the Githens Center from Polk Audio directly. That was unexpected and rather unprecedented. Some impressive new products coming out of Polk Audio as well.

Thanks to everyone at Polk Audio who graciously lets us pester the living hell out of them at work! Thanks to those who came out to Stu's place to have a good time and partake in the festivities with us and special thanks to Stu and Al for all the work and volunteering of resources and homes and putting up with us for a weekend!

Also, Al, next time you want the riff raff off the front step of Polk HQ, you don't have to buy everyone drinks. Probably could have just shoo'ed everyone away with a broom and few well placed "Go on! Git! Git on outta here!" or just plain "Shoos!"

Also, I know my friend Steve was summarily impressed with the level of access provided, the approachability of the top level leadership and employees and the openess and presentation of the methodology that goes in to crafting Polk products. He talked myself and amulford's ear off the entire way back to Jersey. I think we have him hooked now!

Also, Jon, that was a great idea with the video interviews. Wish more people participated in that too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012
    What a great time! Stu was Great host! Good music, great food, GREAT friends. It just doesn't get any better...
  • Strong Bad
    edited September 2012
    Jstas wrote: »
    Dude, I'm pretty sure they were 705's, not 707's.

705's...707's...

Hey, 220, 221...whatever it takes! :cheesygrin:
    No excuses!
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2012
    Had a great time at PF over the last three days. Polk Audio is the only company that has no problem taking the time and energy to take care of all of Polk/audio nerds. I love a company that really makes you feel that they care about the product and customer.

I mean were else could you sit and BS with the COO, VPs, engineers, designers, etc. of a multi million dollar company???

Love Polk and hope for many more years of PF and Polk Audio making the best sounds products possible.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2012
    Oh and BIG thanks for the swag bag from Polk. Making my time at the in-laws at lot easier :)
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited September 2012
    Thanks to everyone at Polk for an awesome tour and festivities. Polk and their employees went WAY above and beyond what could be expected. Really eye opening and fun time.

Thanks to all that made it happen.!!!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2012
    Awesome time at PF 2012! Nice to see old friends and meet some new ones.

Thanks to Polk for opening the doors and letting us hang for the day and the goody bag. Lots of enthusiasm, technology, innovation and great products! Very impressed with the headphones and LSiM lineup. The folks supporting and steering the Polk ship are more than capable. Big thanks to Stu for opening his home and having us over Saturday!

Hey Carl, Ed! It was great hanging with you both!

pf2012_1.jpg
    pf2012_2.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2012
    Greetings Rich!

It was a great time with you, Ed and all of the good people at Polk and the Club Polk members. Here are a few photos from the three days of fun.

kingsleyandpolkfest007_zps904b9767.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest005_zps657200a1.jpg

A few photos of the people at Stu's house on Saturday:

kingsleyandpolkfest024_zps0f7f330e.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest020_zps284ad23a.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest022_zpsc0d7a301.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest017_zps6bc637aa.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest034_zps9a2344dc.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest033_zps79d22573.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest029_zps04c1cfab.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest032_zpsfd90a358.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest030_zps6bb7bf3c.jpg

kingsleyandpolkfest018_zps74413f05.jpg
    Carl

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2012
    Wow, you know, I'd almost forgotten how much I love PF. The past couple years have conspired against me from attending (thanks a lot, Bin Laden).....As has been said though, thanks to Polk for opening it's doors for us lunatics to invade. VERY cool. Polk has always been a company that has taken care of it's folks and I know there was some conjecture awhile ago that when Polk was aquired by DEI that may change but, clearly, it hasn't.

Personally, I was VERY impressed with the products I heard. Honestly, audio has taken a back seat for awhile to other things competing for my time but I'm, again, highly motivated. The 8000 headphones, the SurroundBar that we heard?? AMAZING stuff. LSIM 705's?? Short list(AHEM, TLW) for Christmas/retirement gift. Again, Polk raises the bar. 40 years and still going strong.

As cool as the 'stuff' is....it's the people. Al, Stu and the rest of the Polk gang (Patrick, John, Scott, Scott, Nick, Heddy, Deborah...and all the rest), man, you guys are awesome. Thank you. To my fellow Polkies and drinking buddies...I love you guys. I know that this has been said many times but I will repeat...it still amazes me after all this time, how a group of such diverse people that 'met' on an internet bulletin board can become part of your family, which is the way TLW and I view it.

Stu, thanks for opening your home to us. I certainly enjoyed myself (and then some). Life has been stressful (in a good way) lately and I certainly appreciated the opportunity to blow off some steam.

Lastly, the Githens Center. Awesome. Just Awesome.

See you all in Charleston next year for the 4th installment of Carolina PF. Date TBA but will be mid-Octoberish.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    The only thing that would have made this PF better is if all of the members that missed were there... I mean whats up??

Disneyjoe, Fireman, Shack, Lasareth, Russman and even Doro was fairly absent the whole fest...

Next year, South Carolina no excuses! :-P
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2012
    Really wish I could have been there. Glad you guys had such a great time. I'm heartbroken that Trey didn't miss me though :razz:

On a positive note, the veneer work on my CRS+'s was done this weekend, and came out amazing. Pics soon.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    The only thing that would have made this PF better is if all of the members that missed were there... I mean whats up??

Disneyjoe, Fireman, Shack, Lasareth, Russman and even Doro was fairly absent the whole fest...

Sorry I missed you also. Hope too see you next year.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited September 2012
    Posting left handed today....broke my right arm Saturday (should have gone to the fest) looks like a blast and I SURELY MISSED SEEING YOU GUYS. Need the scoop on the new LSIM 703's how did they hold up under real world conditions????
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
    They ROCK. I had a pair to check out. Excellent imaging, extremely cohesive presentation. Just a pleasure to listen to.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2012
    Trust me next year I will not miss. It pained me not to be there but being that I just went back to work after months off the finances did not allow me to make it this year. I missed seeing the gang. I promise to see you in SC next year.
    VR3 wrote: »

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2012
    Hey honey(s)!
    Jesse-- mom says hello to her "boyfriend". And GG you better come south! It's been awhile you know! XOXOXO
    TLW

Loud and clear you beautiful flower, I was thinking the same thing.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2012
    I'm I the only one that is certain that I was spouting a bunch of gibberish with some substantial chunks of Saturday evening unaccounted for??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
    I was to busy kissing everybody to notice...
  • Strong Bad
    edited September 2012
    I was too busy running from Antny to notice...
    No excuses!
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
    You only ran far enough to get behind the shrubs:wink:
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited September 2012
    Late to the party here, but man this fest was awesome. Product wise, I was most impressed with the earphones. The In ears are great and the over the ear ones being run on just an iPod were effing crazy good.

The surroundbar 9000 (not released yet apparently) is a very close second. All kn one HT solution that is chock full of the win.

Big thanks to Stu for inviting us to his home Saturday. He hosted a hell of a party.

Great to see some old friends, and some new ones. Already looking forward to Troys next year.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Why's PF moving to Charlestown next year?
    It moves every year and the HQ event is only every 4 years. This will probably be the last one for at least that long. Troy has hosted two times previously and is the BAR when it comes to Polkfests'.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2012
    To all involved in putting this together, thank you!

The experience of going to Polk headquarters is never a disappointment, great people, and there is always something new to show us.

The headphones are a great addition to Polk's offerings, both the UltraFocus 6000's and 8000's sound very good. I have been using my 6000s and really like them, the tangle free cord is the ****. I really can't wait to receive the 8000's I won, and give them a good work out.

I have to say the LSiM 705 at Stu's house were the best thing I heard all weekend, excellent!

Again, thank you everyone at Polk Audio, Stu you were a great host and had some great sound systems, and THANK YOU Al it's always good saying and hanging with you, and thank yo for all you provided over the three days.

Mark, my freind, your limited appearances sucked, hope to see more of you next time.

Polkfest always blows my mind when I hear the total for the The Githens Center raffle, well done Polkies.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Highest Githens center Polkfest donation ever! :-D
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited September 2012
    You are the best! I can't tell you how much I love seeing you and how much PF means to me. It doesn't even make sense to me. I so look forward to these. And I can't wait to see the lovely Wendi in SC next year.

Thanks to all those who made this year special. For those who didn't make it, I'm sorry. Thanks to Stu for letting us use his home. I told him you wouldn't wreck it.

As always, I ate too much, drank too much and laughed too much. I'm lucky to know you all.

Al
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like a blast!
    You say Wendi is going to be in SC?
    Do you recommend Orbitz? Expedia? Travelocity? Kayak?
    I think I can talk Rick88 into splitting the difference! LOL!
    I am JK!:lol:

Looked like a great time, and hopefully I might be able to attend a local in the next several years.
    Glad it went better than expected, and this sight seems to draw people closer (in person) than most
    web sights on the web bar none!

Thats saying alot!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2012
    kab wrote: »
    And I can't wait to see the lovely Wendi in SC next year. Al

And we can't wait to see you Al!