Polkfest 2012

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Mark! We'll see you there. I heard Ted is picking up the tab!!
    Carl

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2012
    Carl....you and Scompracer right?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    If that "John" in the list is me, I gotta bail on Thursday night. I can't make it down, something came up with work.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2012
    I do think I have said I was in, in please
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2012
    Yeah it is....ok loser.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2012
    Jesse, Mark, Al, Ted, George, Raife, Brandon, Troy, Trey, Ben, Carl, Ed, Russ A...... (13)

Cathy, Mark the 2nd?????

Russ A Sorry....knew that, just forgot.
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2012
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Carl....you and Scompracer right?

Right. Rich and I are traveling together. We'll meet up with Ed Savinon at the hotel (Hilton Garden). We may all arrive at the restaurant in one car.
    Carl

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2012
    off work and ready for a Polk Audio weekend
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited September 2012
    Just an FYI for those taking Northern Parkway. It is red light and speed camera central. Watch your speeds and red lights. They're everywhere.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2012
    Cancel me for dinner, I'm not getting in till late. Sorry.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2012
    Mark and I can't make it tomorrow night, see you Friday morning.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2012
    After literally 5 months on the road I finally made it to my new home in Maryland...last night. I completed my post-retirement trek this past week by driving coast-to-coast from south of Seattle; conveniently just in time for PF!

I've only seen my wife a few times throughout the summer (because of separate schedules), so, after dragging my tired butt through the door, I promptly said hi, gave her a kiss and declared in the most manly voice I could muster, "I'm going to Polk Fest Friday!" She didn't bat an eye and said, "Good, you really should go". Those of you that saw the "retirement photo" w/all my vintage Polks can probably guess I have excellent WAF.:smile:

From what I've read it looks like RSVP's aren't required, but just in case this is my official RSVP...I will be there tomorrow (unfortunately, I won't be able to meet up for dinner this evening). I've had the pleasure of meeting several CP members over the past year and am looking forward to meeting even more of you.

John (JayCee)
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    You guys remind me of my students. The Party starts on Wednesday during the semester, it continues through the weekend and people show up hungover in Monday's classes. By Tuesday sobriety is achieved but then there are only two class days till Wednesday night's party and the cycle starts all over again! Sooner or later some of those "old" bodies are going to "give out" at a PF. But hopefully NOT this one!

Good to see the "hardcore" members together again. You haven't seen anything till you've seen those guys in action.

Enjoy the sushi, sake and whatever else. But remember you ALL have to be at HQs by 9 like a bunch of school boys? Don't miss class!

Here's a tip I learned from a Psych Prof who used to fly planes in the Air Force. Mr. Grand probably knows or can dispute this. He once told me that when they spent a night out on the town tanking up they'd make for the (pure) OXYGEN tanks and breathe as much in as possible, helped them recover from possible hangovers more quickly than the others?

On another note. One prof. challenged another to a drinking contest. He was about 5'7" and maybe 155-160, his opponent 6'3" and 245--a big drinker too. What did our diminutive Prof. do to ensure that he could drink his colleague under the table?

He ate an ENTIRE jar of Marshmallow Fluff before the contest, effectively coating his stomach with the equivalent of an impenetrable shield against fast alcohol absorption. The outcome. The big tough fellow collapsed and fell asleep at the table. The smaller man walked out having won the bet!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like me, but I don't need to coat my stomach...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    You guys remind me of my students. The Party starts on Wednesday during the semester, it continues through the weekend and people show up hungover in Monday's classes. By Tuesday sobriety is achieved but then there are only two class days till Wednesday night's party and the cycle starts all over again! Sooner or later some of those "old" bodies are going to "give out" at a PF. But hopefully NOT this one!

Good to see the "hardcore" members together again. You haven't seen anything till you've seen those guys in action.

Enjoy the sushi, sake and whatever else. But remember you ALL have to be at HQs by 9 like a bunch of school boys? Don't miss class!

Here's a tip I learned from a Psych Prof who used to fly planes in the Air Force. Mr. Grand probably knows or can dispute this. He once told me that when they spent a night out on the town tanking up they'd make for the (pure) OXYGEN tanks and breathe as much in as possible, helped them recover from possible hangovers more quickly than the others?

On another note. One prof. challenged another to a drinking contest. He was about 5'7" and maybe 155-160, his opponent 6'3" and 245--a big drinker too. What did our diminutive Prof. do to ensure that he could drink his colleague under the table?

He ate an ENTIRE jar of Marshmallow Fluff before the contest, effectively coating his stomach with the equivalent of an impenetrable shield against fast alcohol absorption. The outcome. The big tough fellow collapsed and fell asleep at the table. The smaller man walked out having won the bet!

cnh

I will have to remember that before I challenge one of my buddies to a contest :). Wonder if Pepto would do the same :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited September 2012
    I'm out

Hey - I still have those Monitor 10 grilles for you. Any way to Polkie Express them to you from PF? if not, we'll work something else out.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    amulford wrote: »
    Sounds like me, but I don't need to coat my stomach...

But you wouldn't exactly be "walking". Not in a straight line at least.

You'd also yell at the door for walking in to you like that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2012
    Rich (Scompracer), Ed (Esavinon) have arrived and we're going to dinner. We got a late start, had to bury the dead hookers from the party last night!!:eek::evil:

IMG_0388_zps66c3e947.jpg
    Carl

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2012

Never heard of that tale before.

However, a large glass of water or two before you sleep will do wonders for no hangover. You need to re-hydrate your body after drinking so much.
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
    A large glass of water and 3 tylenol really turns the trick for me...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited September 2012
    Hate to bring the party down, buds. But I'll be there Saturday.:twisted:
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2012
    Had a great time at dinner tonight. Look forward to more fun tomorrow at Polk HQ.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2012
    If you drink unfiltered beer such as some of the smaller craft beers they contain yeast residue that really helps for hangover prevention. It helps the reuptake of water and glucose back to the brain. There are many ways alcohol causes hangovers, but taking vitamin b12 helps too. Goody's or BC powdered aspirin is a good quick morning remedy, followed by a quick cold shoot of moonshine.

But who cares, bottoms up guys, and drink lots of beers for me!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • amulford
    edited September 2012
    Hate to bring the party down, buds. But I'll be there Saturday.

Hide the children and small furry animals!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2012
    It was a fun dinner last night. I was a bit tired last night from my long day. Up at 0330 and to work at 0500. At the dentist by 1400 to get three old fillings drilled out and replaced. There's just something about loud drilling and grinding along with a burning smell coming from my mouth that's not too comforting. Thankfully I got to see some old and new faces along with good food!

Carl got yelled at by the waitress...

"You turn prate around! Turn prate...TURN PRATE!!!!" I finally stepped in..."Carl, you need rotate the plate around, FAST, she has one hand on the samurai sword and she's getting pissed...at YOU!!! Turn the plate NOW!!!" Carl survived.

Off to throw down some breakfast and head out to Polk HQ for a day of fun and excitement!
    No excuses!
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited September 2012
    Any live feed from Polk HQ? LOL

Things didn't exactly pan out for me this time—life, two young kids, wife just had a small surgery, not much PTO time this year—the usual :)

Enjoy folks!
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2012
    pics, or it didn't happen.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited September 2012
    evhudsons wrote: »
    pics, or it didn't happen.
    There will be plenty of photos, and probably a System Showcase page for this event, too ---
    VR3 wrote: »
    Polkfest goal -
    Minimum of 150 HD quality pictures... potential videos, et all!

Eh.. I should have just come with my 1yr old; quite a party girl, as long as there's somewhere to crash for an hour or so around lunchtime :biggrin: BTW, she has turned 1 TODAY!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    VSchneider wrote: »
    There will be plenty of photos, and probably a System Showcase page for this event, too ---

Eh.. I should have just come with my 1yr old; quite a party girl, as long as there's somewhere to crash for an hour or so around lunchtime :biggrin: BTW, she has turned 1 TODAY!

Do we "really" want to see some of these guys in HD quality? Have any of you seen Letterman lately, in HD? That's what I'm talking about. Maybe low resolution might suit some better, especially for those Late Late night photos!

HD quality of the equipment only, please! lol

Must be lunch time by now? Why don't you boys and girls taunt us with some photos of that sumptuous Polk HQs spread? I'm having a Slimfast and a banana before I start grading!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited September 2012
    I would like to thank all the employees of Polk that made today a great and informative day.

Thanks even more for the swag bag.