SDA 1C's are ready for the upgrade bug

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2010
    Looking good. You will have the best 1C's when you are done!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2010
    Why waste all your money on 1c's when you could buy Bose? :)

Looking good Larry
    When is the sda restoration shop opening in Denver?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2010
    When are you going to get your ears on these already?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited May 2010
    Well my goal to to be done with these by the end of next week. I have been so busy at work just not enough time in the day.

Anyhow I opted to not use the poplar wood, it came out nice but after talking to a couple of guys here in a PM I decided to use OAK instead. I finished cutting them today as well as the wood for the sides. my grill cloth showed up yesterday from parts express. so now I am good to go.

New pics of the OAK caps.

Oakendcaps1Cs027.jpg
    Oakendcaps1Cs028.jpg
    Oakendcaps1Cs029.jpg

And Mike I am working on it brother I really am, nobody wants my ears on them more then me.;)
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited May 2010
    Jeez Larry you make up your mind already, lol!

looks great though.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    Jeez Larry you make up your mind already, lol!

looks great though.

I know:p, I just really want these to be one of the nicest 1C's around..
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Why waste all your money on 1c's when you could buy Bose? :)

Looking good Larry
    When is the sda restoration shop opening in Denver?

LOL!!!:p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2010
    Larry... just an idea that worked well on my 1c's. I would make the inserts 4 inches narrower and use a 4 inch thick piece of oak at the rear-most edge. this will give them a more contemporary look along the lines of their SRS cousins.

Looking fantastic so far.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    edited May 2010
    Larry,

Was there a specific reason you went with the BPHEXCB for the the binding posts and the Cardas CCGR for the SDA cable? I've done almost every mod mentioned but have put off the binding posts. I use a single cable for the innerconect but used some older binding posts out of some 5jr's. I was going to use all BPHEXCB's for both the SDA cable and the binding posts and the price is close. What am I missing?

Just wondering.

Thanks
    I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Bigbang wrote: »
    Larry,

Was there a specific reason you went with the BPHEXCB for the the binding posts and the Cardas CCGR for the SDA cable? I've done almost every mod mentioned but have put off the binding posts. I use a single cable for the innerconect but used some older binding posts out of some 5jr's. I was going to use all BPHEXCB's for both the SDA cable and the binding posts and the price is close. What am I missing?

Just wondering.

Thanks

The only reason is I wanted the SDA cable binding post to be different, and it gave me a chance to see the quality of the Cardas binding post as well.

So your not missing anything it's just what I choose to do is all. They are both very nice binding post's,IMO your good with eather one..
  • mhmacw
    mhmacw Posts: 832
    edited May 2010
    kudos on the oak
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    I stained my caps today, and I wanted to paint the side panels black before putting on the grill cloth as the new grill cloth is not as dense as the original cloth that came on them.

StainCaps1Cs008.jpg
    StainCaps1Cs011.jpg
    StainCaps1Cs009.jpg
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited May 2010
    larry

are you going to glue the caps to the cabinets like the originals or are you going to attach them like the srs's?
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    larry

are you going to glue the caps to the cabinets like the originals or are you going to attach them like the srs's?

I will attach them like the SRS's but I might still add a little glue in the middle.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Well I am just about done, I am pushing for tomorrow. Anyway I think they are coming together quite nicely,and I am so glad I went with oak wood.

SDA1Cs051.jpg
    SDA1Cs054.jpg
    SDA1Cs050.jpg
    SDA1Cs055.jpg
    SDA1Cs049.jpg
    SDA1Cs052.jpg

I have the side panels just about done as well, I sprayed some adhesive on the front of the panels and put the grill cloth on them. all I have to do is pull them around the back side and glue them up.

Can't wait!!!:cool:
  • ben62670
    edited May 2010
    Very nice. I think you will have the best 1C's in the world after this. Love the oak.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Very nice. I think you will have the best 1C's in the world after this. Love the oak.

And you got to help with them ;)
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2010
    Very nice work sir,,indeed you have a talent.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2010
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2010
    Looking really good. Kudos.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited May 2010
    Wow, send me some of those spikes! Great job. The wood looks insane of the charts good.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »

Have you seen mine? I think when they're all done we should compare. Geoff in Seattle did an unbelievable job on the one's I now own. Larry's put the same kind of loving attention and detail into his. I think a comparison when done is in order.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79106&highlight=Geoff727
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • ben62670
    edited May 2010
    My dad can kick your dad's butt.

Edit: Just teasing. Those are some sweet speakers too.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Awesome work Larry! You are a master craftsman.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Have you seen mine? I think when they're all done we should compare. Geoff in Seattle did an unbelievable job on the one's I now own. Larry's put the same kind of loving attention and detail into his. I think a comparison when done is in order.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79106&highlight=Geoff727

The difference is I did the work. This is not about who's is better but the love of doing the work, and the pay off in the end. "Geoff" did a fantastic job on his. Geoff's 1C's are the reason I wanted to do this project but I didn't know he lined the inner walls like I did. Or I just forgot about that detail.

But yours are better.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2010
    I only wish I had half the skills you guys do. I apologize if it sounded like I wanted a pissing match. I guess I'm just honored the Geoff let me buy them and entrusted me with such good work. I absolutely love the Oak finish on yours. You are a craftsman worthy of the same praise as Geoff. Me? I can make some out of Lego that look pretty sweet.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the kind words guys it has been a blast but I'm ready to put this project to bed.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    The difference is I did the work. This is not about who's is better but the love of doing the work, and the pay off in the end. "Geoff" did a fantastic job on his. Geoff's 1C's are the reason I wanted to do this project but I didn't know he lined the inner walls like I did. Or I just forgot about that detail.

But yours are better.
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I only wish I had half the skills you guys do. I apologize if it sounded like I wanted a pissing match. I guess I'm just honored the Geoff let me buy them and entrusted me with such good work. I absolutely love the Oak finish on yours. You are a craftsman worthy of the same praise as Geoff. Me? I can make some out of Lego that look pretty sweet.

Alright you guys, reservations have been made at the Holiday Inn, would you like a smoking room or non?:eek::D:p
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    It would be fun to put them side by side. I will take a cigar Joe;)

and I'm not taking a trip to Canada.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    It would be fun to put them side by side. I will take a cigar Joe;)

and I'm not taking a trip to Canada.

No, no, no, you guys get an all expenses paid trip, BECAUSE YOU CAN TAKE A JOKE!:D