edited December 2009
    Options
    Definitely IN please!
    Absolutely no clue with those questions
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'd like to be IN as well. The only question I'll take a guess at is the first. I think MP is highly allergic to asparagus.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm going to up the ante' and add a Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer to the overall Karma. I'll add the details in the main body.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jimbo1421
    jimbo1421 Posts: 772
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hi, doro. Great karma. I am in, but I have no clue about the questions, certainly I can't do any better than what has already been offered.

Except that I will guess that Matt is allergic to peanuts, if they are considered a vegetable.

Jim
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp
    Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray
    2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Awesome karma, IN.
    Going to bed shortly so i will try to answer some questions tomorrow evening.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Guys, don't sweat the questions...they are NOT a requirement to be IN the Karma. Adding some trivia to the thread was for folks and the fans of the product...young and old. If you're a real Polk Audio fan ;) ....you will either find the answers or be pretty interested to know the answers. It's a win win situation.

I like to pester the HQ folks for stuff like this since no real written stories, hoaxes, urban myths or just fun trivia exists for them. EVen the pictures of the past are getting lost and I'm trying to preserve and dig up as much as possible.

Everyone is getting long in the tooth and moving on to different things so if we don't gleam as much as humanly possible from them now....this stuff gets lost forever.

Have fun with it gang....that's the whole point. :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In Please!
    Q: What was significant about Polk Audio's introduction of the famous Cobra Cable in 1977?
    There were capacitance and shorting issues from what I read...

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I just posted real pictures of your new speakers....whomever that may be....

The LSi7 cabinets have been freshly waxed and polished, just like a new car. Perhaps you can peel yourself away from the mundane threads and work as a group to figure out these Karma "questions". Or not.... :(
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Doro...you are a man among men. Excellent karma....IN please.

And if I were to win I would pay for the shipping.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In please......fantastic Karma bro.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm going to say he's allergic to garlic, and the cobra cables fried a lot of amps.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Also, I think the SL stands for Stu Lumsden. If it doesn't, it should!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
  • messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What does the "MW" and "RD" stand for on the bass drivers?

For the MW I'm going to say mid woofer and for the rd I'd say rear driver. Never heard of an rd before though. I guess it could mean research & development. These questions are hard!!

• messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What does A.I.M. stand for and what did it do? (SDA Question)

Maybe audio interconnect monitors? Or audio interconnect modulation? Once again just a guess, but hell, no one else is guessing, they're just in. I'm not in, but I'm guessing :). I'd actually love a pair of Lsi's, but learned my lesson years ago about the Ohms. I adopted a killer pair of 4 ohm speakers, and though my Denon could handle them. Not so much. Receiver fried, and speakers moved on.

• messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What extremely rare Polk Audio product was only manufactured from 1978-1979?

Maybe the Monitor 9?

• sk1939
    sk1939 Posts: 295
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'd say in, but I don't stand a chance of winning. Good luck all.
    Home:
    Onkyo TX-6500MKII/Polk LSI 9's (A)Polk TSi 100(B)/Polk PSW 10/Onkyo C-S5VL/Technics SL-QD33
    Home 2 (Playback):
    Dynaudio BM5A MKII/Dynaudio SUB 250MC/Audigy 2 ZS
    College:
    JBL LSR 2325P/JBL 2310SP/MOTU UltraLite MKIII
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In please, research in progress.
  • superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited December 2009
    Options
    wow,and a sub too?! that is awesome karma Doro! someone is in for a merry Cristmas - good luck to all!
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Good guesses Messiah.

Hey just to be clear....the questions are just questions and not neccesary for you to enter the Karma at all. It's a requirement to TRY to at least guess....sheesh.

If you don't say you're "IN!", "I'm In" or something of that nature, I won't throw your name in the hat. It would be a shame to miss out because you're not listening or forgot to say it :) I'll find that thoroughly amusing.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2009
    Options
    IN.

Awesome Karma. Bookies and a sub are my next audio journey. I have always wanted to hear a pair of LSi's powered properly.

I am going to give a serious attempt at all the questions later this week when I have more time.

Thanks,

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2009
    Options
    IN
    these karmas are great!
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nice Karma Mark, but not in as I have no room for any more speakers and probably could not answer any of the questions anyway.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Not in. I just wanted to say great Karma it is very nice of you to offer these up and I enjoy reading the struggle to answer the questions. I know the answers to a couple of them but no idea on a few.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • KASR
    KASR Posts: 450
    edited December 2009
    Options
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Q: What vegetable is Matt Polk so allergic to that he keeps the phrase “No
    “ written in five languages on a card in his wallet?

I'll guess Tomato

Q: What was the first tweeter that Polk Audio made and sold?

SL 1000

Q: What extremely rare Polk Audio product was only manufactured from 1978-1979?

Monitor 9

Q: What was significant about Polk Audio's introduction of the famous Cobra Cable in 1977?

It had the least inductive reactance and a very high capacitance reactance

Q: What was the crossover architecture difference between the Monitor 5, 7 and 10, in the original Monitor series (circa 1979)?

???? still researching

Q: What was the first speaker that I (Stu Lumsden) voiced entirely on my own and in about what year?

RTA 12

Q: What car audio product never made it to retail yet toured the nation as part of the eventual new lineup?

????

Q: What does the "SL" stand for in the SL series of tweeters?

Silver

Q: What does the "MW" and "RD" stand for on the bass drivers?

MW = Mid woofer; RD = ????

Q: Who developed the RM3000 phased array tweeter?

????

Q: What does A.I.M. stand for and what did it do? (SDA Question)

Good one......still researching

IN PLEASE

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • KASR
    KASR Posts: 450
    edited December 2009
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    • Q: What vegetable is Matt Polk so allergic to that he keeps the phrase “No
      “ written in five languages on a card in his wallet?
      Gonna have to go with Carrots on this one - simply becuz they make my tongue itch! Weird, I know.
    • Q: What was the first tweeter that Polk Audio made and sold?
      SL1500 tweeters ?
    • Q: What extremely rare Polk Audio product was only manufactured from 1978-1979?
      By description alone, I'm thinking it has to be some sort of component...like a sound board, or an amp...maybe a receiver even....ok, I really don't know!
    • Q: What was significant about Polk Audio's introduction of the famous Cobra Cable in 1977?were braided, perhaps?
      Aside from being ill-fated, which tended to blow up output inductorless amplifiers - the fact that they
    • Q: What was the crossover architecture difference between the Monitor 5, 7 and 10, in the original Monitor series (circa 1979)?
      I'm drawing a blank here
    • Q: What was the first speaker that I (Stu Lumsden) voiced entirely on my own and in about what year?
      Errr....
    • Q: What car audio product never made it to retail yet toured the nation as part of the eventual new lineup?
    • Q: What does the "SL" stand for in the SL series of tweeters?
      Silk-lined perhaps? Ok, I'm reaching...
    • Q: What does the "MW" and "RD" stand for on the bass drivers?
      Mid-woofer and REAL Deep! :D Ok.... Rear Driver makes sense here.
    • Q: Who developed the RM3000 phased array tweeter?
    • Q: What does A.I.M. stand for and what did it do? (SDA Question)

I'll update with more research...man, these are tough....even knowing that I've gotten all them wrong! LOL!
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited December 2009
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Q: What was the first tweeter that Polk Audio made and sold?
    This one?

Q: What was the first speaker that I (Stu Lumsden) voiced entirely on my own and in about what year?
    See link above, circa 1982

Q: What car audio product never made it to retail yet toured the nation as part of the eventual new lineup?
    SDA for the car

Q: What does the "SL" stand for in the SL series of tweeters?
    Stu Lumsden

I don't know if these are right or not, but it is fun looking.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited December 2009
    Options
    IN, please.

Thanks.
  • squeeb
    squeeb Posts: 426
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In please (I will pay forward the Karma, if chosen)
    7.3 HT: Sunfire TGR-3, Sunfire Series II, Mirage OMD-28, OMD-5 (x4), REL T1 (2), T2, Oppo 103D, Optoma HD8200PRO, 106" screen, SB Touch
    Family Room: Yamaha RX-V2700, RT25i, 42" Samsung, SB Duet
    Pool: Yamaha V2700, SQ Duet, Atrium 60 (2), Atrium 45 (3), Atrium 65sdi
  • swegyptian
    swegyptian Posts: 316
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'll need to be IN on this one too. And I'm going with soya as the veggie to be avoided. :)
This discussion has been closed.