want to trade up to 1.2TL's?

Options

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited August 2009
    Options
    It's not HIS money when you're married,it's YOU'RE money. As much as men would like to think that it's your money it's just wrong. Throw in kids and then it's really different.

So John,if it's worth it then maybe his spare bedroom would be a good place to spend your life.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I guess I am lucky, She gave me some hassle but not because of the speakers but my new obsession with audio in general.

I have the HT in the basement (A9's) 1.2tl's in the livingroom and the 1C's in the bedroom.

I for one am not saying screw her, but she also needs to let John be happy with his wants and needs. Your only given one life to live.
  • daboyz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Sorry my friend but speakers are not needs,they're wants.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2009
    Options
    He stated she buys whatever she wants, he should be able to do the same. Maybe I'm just too young to understand.

John if she makes you sell them tell her she has to give you SOME every night for the rest of the year. That sounds like a good deal to me. Anyways good luck on the sale.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That is why I said "wants and needs", and my statment is not just about speakers but life in general.
  • daboyz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    If you read into his statement about the size of his speakers and his lack of closet space then I would say that there is a deeper issue than the speakers. You don't have to be old to understand that.
  • leroyjr1
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,177
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I would like to make an offer. PM sent.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    edited August 2009
    Options
    John, my wife will trade her mint 2.3tls for your 1.2s, she has been bitching they are smaller than my srs ever since I got them. These are MINT with rdo198 and we are 500 miles away, you will never be happy with 3.1 tls once you have had the big boys. If you want to meet halfway we could do it Sunday, Mike Reeter can vouch for there condition. Let me know.
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited August 2009
    Options
    4406bbl wrote: »
    John, my wife will trade her mint 2.3tls for your 1.2s, she has been bitching they are smaller than my srs ever since I got them. These are MINT with rdo198 and we are 500 miles away, you will never be happy with 3.1 tls once you have had the big boys. If you want to meet halfway we could do it Sunday, Mike Reeter can vouch for there condition. Let me know.

Have your wife meet his wife!

Bill
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    edited August 2009
    Options
    bsoko2 wrote: »
    Have your wife meet his wife!

Bill

If we can get a deal together they may meet.
  • CaligulaPolk
    CaligulaPolk Posts: 1,650
    edited August 2009
    Options
    paint your sda wood maroon, install persian cloth and add some gold

your all good in matching your wife's persian furnitures.
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2009
    Options
    If I might suggest, place them with a trusted friend on long-term loan, or rent a self storage unit, or move them to the basement and set up a "mancave". If all else fails, you might want to look at some SDA2Bs with the intention of doing the "TL" upgrade on them. I have a pair of them in the studio version which have the flat fabric grille and the small plinth/pedestal at the bottom,they're the smallest SDA there is (I think). As far as the wife factor...Mine says that the studio 1As that are in the living room now are too large, and that my pin/blade SRS2s will never be permitted in there! I sure will miss her.......maybe.:D Good luck finding some 3.1s they seem to be very scarce.:)
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I can definitely see your point about giving up the 1.2TL's being a better option than divorce, but marriage should also be an equal opportunity thing. When you get married you're agreeing to be with the particular person...and everything that comes with it. There should be a compromise of some type.

If one of the things that came with your spouse is a crazy hobby that involves humongous speakers...then so be it. It's something that should be put up with.

Like John said, his wife has a huge walk in closet full of clothes...most of which I'm sure have been worn a time or two at most. Meanwhile, his clothes get relegated to a small closet in the spare bedroom.

This is a sacrifice that John has made in support of his wifes hobby.

Yes, the 1.2TL's are some big speakers, but it's not as if he's got a couple of cars parked in the living room. They're 21" wide and 13" deep...that's really not a ton of floor space.

John has expressed on the forum numerous times how he absolutely loves these speakers...and how they've completely changed the way he listens to, enjoys and experiences music. They've obviously brought him a lot of enjoyment in the short time he's had them.

For his wife to insist that he HAS to get rid of them, strikes me as being a bit unfair.

I'm not married, for the record. If/when I am though, I won't put up with a wife that tried to get in-between me and my hobbies. Compromise is one thing, this is quite another though.

Just my $.02
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,048
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Keep the speakers and the wife. Just say no. She will get over it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I love how half the people giving advice here are single.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jerryj12
    jerryj12 Posts: 451
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I am sitting here smiling as I read this. I have been married twice.
    I see it like this.
    Speakers will come and go,but the love of a lifetime may only come around once. Compromise is a good thing.
    If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.:D

Good luck with your sale.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the support and the advice... the wife stays however and the speakers will find a great home. I will get another pair someday, but she is irreplaceble. I have responded to three offers via PM
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jerryj12
    jerryj12 Posts: 451
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the support and the advice... the wife stays however and the speakers will find a great home. I will get another pair someday, but she is irreplaceble.

Good call.:D
    A good relationship his key to happiness.

I wish I had the dough to buy these.
    How about a nice Hot Tub trade. j,k
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This episode of Sesame Street was brought to you by the letters "P" & "W"...

just messin' with you, John :D

I will soon be replacing an oversized pair of FX500i surrounds 'cause I know the better half was never happy with them in the living room.

Good on ya for putting her before yourself... recipe for success, IMO.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2009
    Options
    well, if she's a keeper, then yeah, do as she asks. not as she TELLS. but do as she asks. if she were a keeper, she wouldn't be TELLING you to do anything.

another thing to try is have her read this thread and let her see your sincerety and point out there are those who give advice to "let her go and keep the speakers" (in a sell-out polkie members to kiss her butt) (and of course, block out my post somehow) and let her see you're willing to do as she asks. perhaps she'll be suaded to let you keep 'em.

...oh, and be prepared to have to let her buy something of equal value you may not like her to have.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BB3
    BB3 Posts: 297
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I am reluctantly :(offering my 1.2 tls for sale or trade. My wife wants them out for now, but assures me that I can get another pair when we move on to a bigger place:). I am very interested in the 2.3TL's or the SRS 2. I am offering my TL's for 2100.00 and must be picked up, as shipping these monsters would be a nightmare. The speakers are as prettey as they come have already been upgraded to the RDO-198's, which alone are worth 400.00.

Sonically they are in perfect condition and come with the original interconnect and spike kit. Cosmetically they don't get any cleaner than these. See the attached pictures...

I have installed Larry's custom crossover plates, but still have the originals in near mint condition as well. They will be included with the sale. The price I am asking is what I have in them, and does not include the cost of travel to northern Michigan to get them.

Please PM me with all offers/trade considerations.

John

Don't Get Rid Of Them nooshinjohn. You just can't. They are just way too valuable. There has got to be a way for you to hang onto them......

Just concerned about you nooshinjohn.
    B.B.3
    Sony 52in.XBR6
    Sony 32in.XBR6
    Anthem AVM50V
    Anthem PRE-2L
    Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
    Carver C-9
    Carver C-19 PreAmp
    Carver C-16 PreAmp
    2-Carver Silver 7-T's
    4-Carver TFM55's
    2-Carver TFM35's
    1-Carver TFM25
    Carver 490T
    Denon DCD1560
    Sony BDP-S350
    Sony PS3
    Nintendo Wii
    Panasonic DMK23DVR

Speakers :

PolkAudio SDA-SRS
    PolkAudio SDA-SRS 1.2TL
    PolkAudio SDA-CRS+(Compliments Of Mr. Jim Thomas"jtgranby")
    PolkAudio RTA-15TL
    PolkAudio M3
    3-Velodyne F-1500's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2009
    Options
    John if she ran out of closet space & started to hang her clothes all over the livingroom & started encroaching on YOUR closet would you have a problem with it? I know I would.

It's about shared living space. It's not totally about the amount of space they take up, it's also about how they look in that space. Basically you are forcing YOUR hobby down her & any guests you may have over throats.

You don't NEED SDA's to have a quality sound system, you WANT them because they are big & ostentatious as well as sound good. But you WANT to have something to boast about with these speakers.

There's nothing wrong with that, (when you have your own separate room to do so in.

I never said anything about asking permission, I said discussing it with her since the decision also impacted her. Anything that impacts the BOTH of you should be discussed.

If her clothes shopping is putting a financial hardship on BOTH of you, then it should be discussed. If it isn't, then there is nothing to talk about. You can't wear her clothes & they aren't visible for all to see when guests walk into your home.

Your apples to oranges comparison just doesn't wash & we both know it.
    Thanks for the input Cathy, but I must ask why men need to ask permission before we so much as ****, but women can shop til they drop and show us all the stuff they bought. I do not complain or protest in the least. I buy just one major purchase a year that takes up just 5 square feet of combined floor space, and she gets the entire walk-in closet. My clothes are in a small closet in the guest bedroom...
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have told this story before - 3.5 years ago I wanted some tower speakers for my big screen and was told NO. My wife is big on working things out via a marriage counselor (married 41 years) so that's where we ended up with this. Hey, she was made to see reason and I ended up with 250 per month to spend how I want and I did get my speakers and then some. So John, try this route and I think that in the end your marriage will be much richer for it.

Bill
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Come on, ladies and gents....Let's leave the personal things and discussions between John and his beloved wife for this matter. I think this thread is started to sound like battle of the sexes!

John, I guess your wife allows you to have smaller SDA is still a nice thing.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • leroyjr1
    edited August 2009
    Options
    bsoko2 wrote: »
    I have told this story before - 3.5 years ago I wanted some tower speakers for my big screen and was told NO. My wife is big on working things out via a marriage counselor (married 41 years) so that's where we ended up with this. Hey, she was made to see reason and I ended up with 250 per month to spend how I want and I did get my speakers and then some. So John, try this route and I think that in the end your marriage will be much richer for it.

Bill

You're a grown **** man with an allowance. LMAO..
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The better the wife - the worse the trade in value.... (Ironic but true)

Their speakers - you purchased something that regardless or floor space - will be a focal point in whatever room they are in - and without asking her opinion.

If you came home and the living room was hot pink - you would probably be pissed and it would not stay that color for long. This is really not that much different. She didn't say no - she said not now. i.e. - They can come back when they can fit in our house and I don't have to look at them if I don't want to. (and my friends won't say what the hell do you have coffins in your living room for)

Man up - you took a gamble and lost. You got a few weeks with your dream speaker and at least now you know what you want. (1 up on me - I still am not sure) You can get the big SDA's almost anytime - the peace you will have between now and then will be worth it. (and if you get the 2.3's without mentioning they are much larger than the 3.1's she agreed to - you will be selling those soon too)

Good luck and as for the advice of those who are not married - follow it if their marital status is what you are going for....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    Options
    John...I saw these on ebay and thought you might be interested. It'd involve a drive to Maryland though.

They look like they're in real nice shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RARE-POLK-SDA-SRS-3-1TL-SPEAKERS-MADE-1991_W0QQitemZ250484514331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a520a5e1b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can always just lend me your 1.2TL's until you move to a bigger house.;) I'd be more than happy to come pick them up. I can be there in a few hours...let me know.:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2009
    Options
    But he has a loving wife of 41 years to be with to love & to be loved.

All you will have is your cold **** speakers to curl up with with your attitude. Who's the loser now?:rolleyes:
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    You're a grown **** man with an allowance. LMAO..
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited August 2009
    Options
    John...I saw these on ebay and thought you might be interested. It'd involve a drive to Maryland though.

They look like they're in real nice shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RARE-POLK-SDA-SRS-3-1TL-SPEAKERS-MADE-1991_W0QQitemZ250484514331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a520a5e1b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can always just lend me your 1.2TL's until you move to a bigger house.;) I'd be more than happy to come pick them up. I can be there in a few hours...let me know.:p

I'm getting those ;):cool:.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.