2009 Polkfest - Nov 7/8..North Charleston SC

Comments

• G37s
    G37s Posts: 6
    edited August 2009
    TroyD wrote: »
    In Wescott? I live in the subdivision behind the Publix at Ashley Phosphate / Dorchester.

You missed two previous PF's here...2004/2006.

BDT

lol dammit! I lived at the legends right next to wescott. I might be back there in November. Well see be pretty cool if the dates line up :)

I was stationed on one of the Coast Guard boats there.
  • lakedmb
    lakedmb Posts: 35
    edited August 2009
    Maybe I missed it, but what model of speakers will there be for people to demo? I'm in Greenville, SC, but my sister lives in Charleston and I have a friend who lives on Rainbow Row in Charleston. This sounds like some good times.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2009
    lakedmb wrote:
    Maybe I missed it, but what model of speakers will there be for people to demo? I'm in Greenville, SC, but my sister lives in Charleston and I have a friend who lives on Rainbow Row in Charleston. This sounds like some good times.

Post #47

TroyD wrote:
    Doubt that there will be any subwoofers here....the lineup is TBD. Will probably revolve around the Quad 988's (which will NOT play at aurally traumatizing levels) and the SDA 2.3tl's.

Again, this is primarily a SOCIAL event. There will be gear and there will be listening. There probably won't be much gear swapping.....I haven't talked with anyone from Polk about what, if anything, they are bringing to the party. Historically, it hasn't been about demoing new gear. Back in 2004, we gave away an XM tuna and we demo'd Polk Pauls rebuilt CRS's.....in 2006, we demoed the iSonic (one was raffled off to benefit the Githen's center)

The point being, if you are coming to hear the latest and greatest from Polk....it's probably not going to happen. If you are wanting to listen to some tunes, hang out with some of the coolest people on the planet and tell lies about women and audio, eat like a king and drink like a fish...that's what my Polkfests are about.
    BDT
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SoundArtillery
    SoundArtillery Posts: 39
    edited August 2009
    Is Polk Fest an even put on by Polk?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2009
    Is Polk Fest an even put on by Polk?

No...just people from this forum.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2009
    When placed in the light of TLW and FA any speaker pales, lets face it beautiful women are the ultimate in tubes; warm, soft, glowing, yousa, another lesson on how.........

Tubes Rule

RT1
  • raidersrule76
    raidersrule76 Posts: 471
    edited August 2009
    So you guys think that some guy from Iowa will halfway fit in down at PF. I have manged to find a plane ticket for 250 and am really thinking about it, from what I have read this is right up my alley good beer, good food, good tunes and hopefully some new friends. I hope to see you all in a few months.

Mark
    Sig to be updated after dealing with the insurance company:(:(:(
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2009
    So you guys think that some guy from Iowa will halfway fit in down at PF.

Of course, but only halfway. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited August 2009
    bump
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2009
    So you guys think that some guy from Iowa will halfway fit in down at PF. I have manged to find a plane ticket for 250 and am really thinking about it, from what I have read this is right up my alley good beer, good food, good tunes and hopefully some new friends. I hope to see you all in a few months.

Mark

Why not? I mean, that's how we all pretty much started out....there really is no secret handshake to get in....all I ask is that, since this is my home, that you just be an ****. I mean, come have a great time...eat, drink, hang out. Really not that difficult.

Now, if you are a douchebag who is primarily interested in how much free stuff you can get from Polk, thinks it's a hoot to destroy someone else's home, be respectful of my wife, thinks this is a good opportunity to confront others with whom you may have an axe to grind.....that sort of thing, well, the beauty is I will (and have so in the past) dis-invite you. My neighbor is a cop (and a great guy) and should you prove to be one of the aforementioned **** bags, I can assure you that a night in the North Chuck pokey can be added to the program. Again, this has never been the case but I'm just throwing this out there that if you can't get along or control yourself to an extent....you get the idea.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    edited August 2009
    be disrespectful of my wife

Fixed it!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited August 2009
    ....all I ask is that, since this is my home, that you not be an ****. I mean, come have a great time...eat, drink, hang out. Really not that difficult.
    Troy, you must be busy with TLW. I'll be there. See you soon.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2009
    speaking of Troy.......anyone see the karma in his not having to pay a light bill for two years and now having to pay two of them???????

about 60 days from Thursday......whoohooo, party time.

RT1
  • TroyD
    edited September 2009
    Yup, the irony is not lost on me....

I'm ready to do this NOW!!

BDT
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm... I should probably put in for my time off.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2009
    Alright, guys... who's getting in on a carpool from PA??? I'm getting a rental, so no sharing the truck bench seat :p. Anyone??? Bueller?

Going to try to leave around 6am Friday to get there approx dinner time. If I get takers on the carpool, I'll rent a full-size. Otherwise, I'm cramming myself in an Aveo and trucking down. Or, actually, puttering. Departure will be no later than 10am Sunday to get back here.

Takers?

Troy - What are some good sleeping locations? Are your shrubs comfortable and free of wildlife?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited September 2009
    bump
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2009
    I would say, anything around the airport is fine....stick with the better names: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn etc....

BDT
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2009
    Troy,

This is back to your original house, I thought it was in your new house? Doesn't matter to me, this question where it is.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking about driving, but...

Cincinnati-Charleston, non stop: $170 + tax

Dayton-Charleston via Atlanta: $130 + tax.

That with Delta, which is not the cheapest airline around.

Just the gas for the 1,300 miles would cost me close to that.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited September 2009
    Ricardo wrote: »

Good point Ricardo, except RAS might be renting a van and split between 5/6 people might not be too bad. Nothing solid yet, but that's been discussed.

Guess we better get our asses in gear and decide who is going and how we're getting there. I haven't looked at the route so I'm not sure if you're on the way or out of the way. With Rich driving it won't matter, the ETA will be the same he'll make up the difference with speed :D:)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited September 2009
    nadams wrote: »
    Troy - What are some good sleeping locations? Are your shrubs comfortable and free of wildlife?

LOL, as long as Russ, hasn't been there. :D

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2009
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Good point Ricardo, except RAS might be renting a van and split between 5/6 people might not be too bad. Nothing solid yet, but that's been discussed.

Guess we better get our asses in gear and decide who is going and how we're getting there. I haven't looked at the route so I'm not sure if you're on the way or out of the way. With Rich driving it won't matter, the ETA will be the same he'll make up the difference with speed :D:)

H9

Ok; I am in the way. Let's talk it in the RAS.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2009
    Ricardo wrote: »

F%$&@ing oil prices!!

Was $170, now $195
    Was $130, now $194 :mad::mad::mad:

SOPA
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2009
    If a homo from Utah can fit in, I'm pretty sure a hillbilly from Iowa would be just fine......though you might be the more odd one of the two.......just sayin......lol....

As for the neighbor cop hauling someone away........that's almost worth the fine for falsifying a report........watch yourselves biatches........ :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2009
    Well if Brett will be there....

I need to state that I will be there. :D

Ok not that I like Brett really sweet, well you get it.... ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    edited September 2009
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »

Not really....exactly how much sweetener are you putting on him?? ;)

SOPA
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2009
    Well if Brett will be there....

I need to state that I will be there. :D

I like him, but no kissing ;) Maybe a hug :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2009
    I like him, but no kissing ;) Maybe a hug :)

You'll come out of that hug looking like a squashed beetle.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2009
    brettw22 wrote: »
    If a homo from Utah can fit in, I'm pretty sure a hillbilly from Iowa would be just fine......though you might be the more odd one of the two.......just sayin......lol....

Hehe......:D

President of Club Polk