May I have the forums attention PLEASE?

Options

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I read the part about newbies coming and going just as fast and thought I would add my 2 cents(all it's worth). I'm not quite at 75 posts but I'm just trying to find a way to fit in. Us newbies don't get all the insider stuff that is going on so I think many give up. Sometimes we ask stupid or redundant questions because either we are trying to learn or need reassurance towards our purchases. I have also seen many replies that I thought were downright rude towards us newbies. I try to research as much as possible before asking and sometimes my research will totally baffle me. That's why I ask questions here. I feel there is a wealth of knowledge to be shared here.
    I come to this site pretty much every day to see what's going on. I enjoy the clubhouse and try to spend time in each area to learn more. I was on the forum once about a year ago and got discouraged after a couple weeks. It seems there is a core group and then there is the fringe who are trying to become a part of that group. I can understand the friendships that have evolved and I applaud them. I can also understand the distrust of the newbies, but to really make this a forum it needs to find a balance between the newbies and the old guard.
    I love Polk's products, hell I just got my brother to do his whole house w/polk speakers, and that is what drew me here. Like I said, us newbies just want to fit in and be a part of this place we call "Club" Polk.

Thanks, Dave.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have been on here too long, so I must somehow have a blind eye to the punishment new member get when the join. Only when they are rude, do they get "checked" (now I know they get checked to the boards with a mack truck)

but show me where a new member got a rude reply when they aske a question, just because they are new?

Whatever newbies vs the old guard crap gets old.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    I have been on here too long, so I must somehow have a blind eye to the punishment new member get when the join. Only when they are rude, do they get "checked" (now I know they get checked to the boards with a mack truck)

but show me where a new member got a rude reply when they aske a question, just because they are new?

Whatever newbies vs the old guard crap gets old.

I agree with hoosier. No one gets slammed simply because they are new. If someone gets slammed it is usually because they show up with an **** attitude or if they come to the forum to let everyone know just how smart and/or knowledgeable they are...and let us know how lucky we are they showed up.

Everyone was new at sometime. Some hang around...some don't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well said Dave, but most newbies are already on the internet, AV 101 can be found on the internet. I just get upset when people won't do simple research first. Come to the table with something on the plate. It really helps to understand the basics. Many opened ended newbie questions start arguments.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sorry Shack. But it's not really like real life, not if you are a mature adult. I would hope you wouldn't go around being as aggressive & argumentative & insulting to people as it gets on these boards. You would end up in the hospital a whole lot!:eek:

I think that knowing that you are safe in your own home makes people extremely brave, since they know that there can't be any physical repercussions for their obnoxious behavior.

Is a thick skin necessary? Yes. But so is tolerance & respect. ON BOTH SIDES!

The latest bit of nonsense that was totally un-necessary started in the "You won't find this in the news" thread & spread to the "What do you do for a living" thread.

While I understand the aggravation of dealing with a newbie who just makes a pest out of himself so that he can sell something, what it devolved into between 2 other members was just uncalled for. This is what the ignore button is for.

Yeah I know it's not as much fun, but the damage that is being done to the board as a whole is kinda sad.

But on the other hand Daboyz, I can tell you that it used to be a lot worse!:eek: :D So stick around & continue to learn. It might get bumpy now and again but it is usually enjoyable for the most part.:)
    shack wrote:
    That is real life. It happens everyday...internet or not. You need a bit of thick skin to deal in cyber space. Much easier to get away from on the net however. A simple click of the mouse and you can go anywhere you want.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Another common newcomer trick that riles people up....They post a question and then get pissy if their question hasn't been answered as fast as THEY think it should or did not get an answer they wanted to hear. This isn't a paid answer forum. Nobody owes anybody anything. Answers and help is given gratis because people WANT to help...not because it is their duty or obligation.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • daboyz
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I agree some are asses and some are just looking for help. Recently a guy didn't buy Polk because no one answered him quick enough. Sorry guys, I don't know how to highlight and add quotes. I'm just saying perception.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Options
    shack wrote:
    Another common newcomer trick that riles people up....They post a question and then get pissy if their question hasn't been answered as fast as THEY think it should or did not get an answer they wanted to hear. This isn't a paid answer forum. Nobody owes anybody anything. Answers and help is given gratis because people WANT to help...not because it is their duty or obligation.
    Exactly, then thier are the ones that do the exact opposite of the advise. And the ones that have no intentions or money to do anything anyway. I like seeing people grow and post thier excitement of new equipment.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Sure, " And the award for being on the forum and having the least amount of posts, with less than 100 posts a years.... goes to Venom"

: Bows : Eyes Tearing up
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    Options
    clap, clap clap (aplause,etc.)

aww never mind !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, no doubt, but I've certainly felt that in the beginning the questions I asked out of ignorance were given a decent amount of attention, and certainly enough to cement my reading/posting here. I think a lot of that has to do with being open about the responses you get, and I sure as hell learned a lot from keeping my mouth shut about things I didn't know.

Sure, there are the occasional slams of people, but that's just the way it works sometimes. I think most of us get along fine with newcomers, and I don't think there are any grudges on the forum that I know of. Sure, a lot of you old folks have cemented real friendships, but I suspect that a lot of that comes from the fact that you *have* been here forever and as such have gotten to know each other pretty well over the years.

Sure, it takes a while to be taken seriously around here, but I think that's due to a lot of people using this site as a revolving door. A lot of people on this forum have a max of 20 posts, then disappear into oblivion without contributing. All I know is when I ask for advice, most of the folks around here are willing to give their 2 cents, be it pro or con to my question and when someone else asks for some help, or has a question I can answer, I do my best to add to the conversation.

There's a fair amount of dislike for beginners who ask obvious questions that have been run over several times on forums. I know quite a few of us get fed up with that, and post something along the lines of "Learn to use the Search feature", but I know many of these first time posters have no idea that the Search feature is even there. I guess it probably turns off a few to have their innocuous question stiffly rebuked in such a manner, as they've only come looking for some help for a product they're interested in or whatever. In that respect, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a brief bit of information followed by a helpful mentioning of the search feature.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. People who post simply to get up to their 25 posts and sell their crap annoys me greatly, as do the people that get extremely defensive over a small slight. But hey, just part of the game.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • daboyz
    edited February 2007
    Options
    maybe because of my lack of knowledge I wasn't picking up on some peoples arrogance or whatever so I must beg forgiveness. I owe a lot to this forum for what I've gotten so far. Mulveling helped in my latest purchase, a Panny RP-91. Heiney9 helped w/speaker stands and the part of the forum that has
    8's that I own now. I have upgraded all my wiring from what I've learned here. I also learned there are a few that don't like monstertoo much but that didn't stop me from buying. My skin is as thick as it comes, I'm just hoping to find my niche here and I hope I can help all of you out w/some of the things I know. Sorry, H.I., a move to Delaware won't happen soon but if you'd like advice on what to buy, let me know.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm a newbie and have been treated very well...a trend that I'd like to see continue!:D

I think a basic rule of life is that the way we treat people more often than not determines how those same people treat us. I know very, very little about audio, so I at least make an attempt to think about / research my question and then, knowing that I'm about to play with the big boys & girls on Club Polk, try to ask my question in such a way that 1) doesnt' invite a pummeling in return 2) sets a tone that invites helpful answers & 3) produces a good conversational track record that makes future correspondence enjoyable for anyone kind enough to chat with me.

Seems to be working so far. I'll keep you "posted."
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I would just like to take this time to let you all know that I hate you all equally.

jk :D
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I was born a Newbie.. .and I guess I'll die that way...

Nothing to contribute here. Moving along. :D:D:D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Yawn.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,288
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Uhm ..... I'm lost. :o
    Sal Palooza
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You must need to meet some sort of requirement to get a Happy Birthday too:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Options
    What is this? Oprah??

Shack has, again, nailed it. The way new folks are treated depends 100% on the way that they approach posting. I have no issue with new folks asking question, regardless of how rudimentary they may seem. Hell, that's how I started here.

If you come in with attitude, yup, off with the kneecaps! I can think of a couple of instances where I was less than polite, one having to do with someone posting an opinion that is so intellectually bankrupt as to defy common sense and the other someone advocating potentially risking the health and safety of children. I take neither lightly. If you don't challenge stupidity, it will multiply.

Lastly, about the whole insider thing. That whole thing is getting old. Many of us have history here. Years of inside jokes, it just takes time to get the flow of it. It's not like we have some blood exchange ceremony for crying out loud.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Years of inside jokes, it just takes time to get the flow of it. It's not like we have some blood exchange ceremony for crying out loud.
    BDT

Well, there was that one time, you know, the ritual thing when the gasket slipped that we dont talk about.....

RT1
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Lastly, about the whole insider thing. That whole thing is getting old. Many of us have history here. Years of inside jokes, it just takes time to get the flow of it. It's not like we have some blood exchange ceremony for crying out loud.

BDT

ROTFLMO We don't :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, there was that one time, you know, the ritual thing when the gasket slipped that we dont talk about.....

RT1

Hey, don't you remember the first rule of fight club??
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Hey, don't you remember the first rule of fight club??

Don't mention the double secret handshake either....;)

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I believe that forums are analagous to the real world. Not necessarily a mature real world, but I think that people act a bit differently when the anonimity is factored in. Forums in general are groups of people interacting with one another. Ever remember a time when you were younger, in high school, maybe even college, when someone made an attempt to join a tight group of friends? If they were ok, had their act together, similar interests, etc. they were typically accepted. Their may have been some ribbing to test the meddle of the person, but that's how the tools got weeded out from the cool ones. There's always been that guy who felt superior to the newcomers, really rode 'em hard. That person's usually the insecure one. Now if somebody came into your group of friends beligerant, bossy, just a real a**, they were shown the door quite quickly. The people that fit in with the group stick around, and after awhile they become the core, the old timers. They understand the inside jokes, know the personalities, remember the duma**es of the past, and are sometimes the ones quicker to point that out to a newcomer. Anywho, that's my $.02 as someone who's been here for a short time, but's been around the block a couple of times. Hopefully nobody takes any offense, the above is just MHO. BTW- anybody seen PolkThug around this thread? He's the one that brought this thread back from the dead.....:rolleyes:
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I don't know who the hell you think you are but maybe just maybe when you've had a cannonball size (well that's why my neurologolist called it) lesion on your brain that was directly caused by having mercury based fillings in your teeth for 30 years in combination with having been given mercury laced vaccines without being warned about their content or danger, then you'll respect someones right to warn others about your personal knowledge and experience so they won't make the same mistake and refrain from name calling and personal attack that you so eloquently demonstrated.
    TroyD wrote:
    What is this? Oprah??

Shack has, again, nailed it. The way new folks are treated depends 100% on the way that they approach posting. I have no issue with new folks asking question, regardless of how rudimentary they may seem. Hell, that's how I started here.

If you come in with attitude, yup, off with the kneecaps! I can think of a couple of instances where I was less than polite, one having to do with someone posting an opinion that is so intellectually bankrupt as to defy common sense and the other someone advocating potentially risking the health and safety of children. I take neither lightly. If you don't challenge stupidity, it will multiply.

BDT
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I think the forum secret handshake needs to be updated.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I don't know who the hell you think you are but maybe just maybe when you've had a cannonball size (well that's why my neurologolist called it) lesion on your brain that was directly caused by having mercury based fillings in your teeth for 30 years in combination with having been given mercury laced vaccines without being warned about their content or danger, then you'll respect someones right to warn others about your personal knowledge and experience so they won't make the same mistake and refrain from name calling and personal attack that you so eloquently demonstrated.

If that's your condition and the persuant cause, I have sympathy for you.

However, the fact remains that for the populace at large the benefits FAR outweigh the risks. Statistically speaking the risks are insignifigant. I'd REALLY hate to see people, children particularly, put at risk over BS paranoia.

Plus, your whole diatribe about the ADA and the AMA REALLY make me question your intelligence. That's pure made up crap. No way around that. It also severly damages your credibility.

BDT
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I think the forum secret handshake needs to be updated.

See, I knew it:) I wasn't all that serious about the birthday thing.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sartori wrote:
    See, I knew it:) I wasn't all that serious about the birthday thing.....

Is it your birthday? For some reason I can't access the 2007 calendar.

• Systems
    edited February 2007
    Options
    shack wrote:
    Is it your birthday? For some reason I can't access the 2007 calendar.

It was on Sunday, big 49, was pretty much like any other Sunday.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing