Fake Audioquest cables??

Options

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Why juju and xpinto are still allowed to post here is beyond me. You wonder why older members don't post like they use, look at those two trolls for the reason.

Agree 1,000%.

I do wish people would quit quoting them as that is it only time I ever have to see any of the BS they post since I put both of them on ignore a long time ago.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cnoat wrote: »
    That would be sweet considering I got them for 27.00 total.

Make sure and post some pics of the ebay cables and the dealer cables.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Its interesting that both PS cables appear to be nearly identical.I would expect most of the counterfit Asian product to have a tell tale sign that would differentiate it from the real thing.
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Its interesting that both PS cables appear to be nearly identical.I would expect most of the counterfit Asian product to have a tell tale sign that would differentiate it from the real thing.

The whole point is that they may only be counterfeit because they aren't sold through nor sanctioned by PS.

In a lot of cases there is a possibility that it is the same exact cable. When you as a company (PS Audio in this instance) source 10K foot of cable. X number of terminations (all from a Chinese source) and then contract it out to a factory all the factory does is order another 5K foot of cable and X number of terminations. When they are done fulfilling your order they crank out a few more.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jinjuku wrote: »
    The whole point is that they may only be counterfeit because they aren't sold through nor sanctioned by PS.
    And this would have been clear had I read the complete posts.:o
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Hell, you guys haven't seen anything yet:

Check out the Peavey IPR thread at AVSForum.

The link will take you to page 15. Look at the posts by authlxl. Starts right off rubbing it in that a Chinese engineering firm has a straight rip of the QSC PL380. Hey if you are going to clone an amp at least they chose a good one.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,063
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the same exact cable.

I say we all pitch in and buy a couple of pairs of the PS Audio and Audioquest cables and dissect them to see if they are the same. I'm in.:)
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I say we all pitch in and buy a couple of pairs of the PS Audio and Audioquest cables and dissect them to see if they are the same. I'm in.:)

I've thrown $20-30 away on worse. One sweet dollar at a time;):D
  • Valentine
    Valentine Posts: 46
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I actually order a pair of CV-4 AQ from ebay, the only way to tell the difference is too cut the wire in half. Thats what i the AQ dealer told me
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i have some AQ Type 4 wires that I suspect to be fake. If I open the end of the banana clips would I be able to see if its a authentic AQ?
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »
    i have some AQ Type 4 wires that I suspect to be fake. If I open the end of the banana clips would I be able to see if its a authentic AQ?

You would have to have an original to compare it to. Two places that I would look is a cross section of the cable (Jacket, shield/drain, conductor, dielectric) and then the termination itself.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,986
    edited September 2010
    Options
    While I generally support free trade, we (the US) are getting screwed with all the copyright infringements by Chineese knock-off artisits. I always check the US SELLERS ONLY box on Ebay.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I always check the US SELLERS ONLY box on Ebay.

This is no guarantee that some US sellers aren't getting their merchandise from Chinese knock-off artists.

I think that OEMs that use off shore manufacturing facilities, particularly those in Asia, assume a certain amount of copycatting. It is just the cost of doing business over there. Obviously, the labor cost savings far outweigh the lost sales revenue due to copycatting.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,754
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    If I were so disliked somewhere I'd have enough dignity to simply leave.

So why are you still here whining?
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2010
    Options

In a lot of cases there is a possibility that it is the same exact cable. When you as a company (PS Audio in this instance) source 10K foot of cable. X number of terminations (all from a Chinese source) and then contract it out to a factory all the factory does is order another 5K foot of cable and X number of terminations. When they are done fulfilling your order they crank out a few more.

Are you saying they are Legit Fakes? Yuk! I have to wash my mouth for using the word "Legit" with the word "Fake" together.

A fake / counterfeit / copy is called so coz it's not the original regardless of how it's made to be 100% resemble.

Regardless of whatever materials they share with PS audio, they may not use the name PS audio when they market the cables if they do not want to make counterfeits in the first place.

Just saying...
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Are you saying they are Legit Fakes? Yuk! I have to wash my mouth for using the word "Legit" with the word "Fake" together.

A fake / counterfeit / copy is called so coz it's not the original regardless of how it's made to be 100% resemble.

Regardless of whatever materials they share with PS audio, they may not use the name PS audio when they market the cables if they do not want to make counterfeits in the first place.

Just saying...

Just putting it out there that they could be 100% copies. That you could put two PS Audio power cables in front of a PS Audio engineer, and if one cable came off the line to fulfill PS Audio's order, and another came off the line after that, that the engineer would most likely not be able to distinguish the counterfeit. It does happen.

I guess counterfeit is a better term to use? Again look at what happened to Cisco.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,235
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You do have to be careful about that. I've heard of people buying Monster Cables off ebay before, and they ended up being counterfeits.
    Keiko wrote: »
    I wonder too if these might be better than the real deal? :rolleyes:

Anything, including a coat-hanger would be better than them...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Where do you purchase official authentic AQ's from? From their official website?

I got (4) of the Audio Quest "Pearl" hdmi cables from www.onecall.com. They carry some of the cables.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,915
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I got (4) of the Audio Quest "Pearl" hdmi cables from www.onecall.com. They carry some of the cables.

Hey buddy, you are still around?!! Good to see you again! Sorry for the derail
  • schutz2106
    schutz2106 Posts: 115
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ebay-too cheap to be true=knockoff. But at some of the prices its hard not to try them. I just buy from Blue Jeans anymore.
    Klipsch RF7-II
    Klipsch RC64-II
    Klipsch RC62-II

Onkyo TX-SR805
    Dish 722 dvr
    Sony BDPS370 Blue Ray
    Samsung 52b750 LCD Tv
    Panasonic DVD Recorder
  • lessthanzero
    lessthanzero Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options
    schutz2106 wrote: »
    Ebay-too cheap to be true=knockoff. But at some of the prices its hard not to try them. I just buy from Blue Jeans anymore.

Same here. They have great products along with super service, and fast shipping.............
  • acmf74
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I have spoken to Andrew at Blue Jeans and Frank at Signal Cable numerous times. They always take the time to talk and explain to me all my questions. These guys always get my business. A+++
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Frank is awesome to deal with as he's the owner and knows his stuff.

Fake cables are easy to find on the market. I normally like to buy from auth dealers but the prices are great on the stuff on fleabay...its really up to the person if they want to take the chance or not.

if a price seems too good to be true, it normally is...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,915
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Another vote for Frank, I really like the feel of his cables well built for sure. I have also been lucky on some scores from Ebay.
  • cnoat
    cnoat Posts: 315
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just recieved a pair of "FAKE" sidewinders.Side by side comparison.They are not fakes.Still burning them in but at first conception they are real.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Mains-Rti 12 -Parasound 1500a
    Center-Csi5-Parasound 1000a
    Rears-Rti 8-Parasound 750a
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    Diamondback and King Cobra IC's
    AQ T4 SC
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just recieved a pair of "FAKE" sidewinders.Side by side comparison.They are not fakes.Still burning them in but at first conception they are real.

Was really hoping this thread would remain inactive :o

Since it's been awhile and there were several threads posted on these fake/real MITs/AQs/etc, how much did you pay for your Sidewinders in total?

For a cable like that, it really makes no sense to purchase them from a seller out in Hong Kong since the real deal sold online or even on this forum (I've sold several pairs over and over again) are very affordable.

Last pair I sold was a 1.5m pair for $35 bucks, or was it $40 with original box shipped.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited October 2010
    Options

please explain...you contradicted yourself.:confused:
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • acmf74
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • jinjuku
    edited October 2010
    Options

Post some pic's if you would. It seems there are ton of Hong Kong origin King Cobra's also.

Still say they are all off of the same line. Even the reseller has a really good rating:confused:
  • cnoat
    cnoat Posts: 315
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Was really hoping this thread would remain inactive :o

Since it's been awhile and there were several threads posted on these fake/real MITs/AQs/etc, how much did you pay for your Sidewinders in total?

For a cable like that, it really makes no sense to purchase them from a seller out in Hong Kong since the real deal sold online or even on this forum (I've sold several pairs over and over again) are very affordable.

Last pair I sold was a 1.5m pair for $35 bucks, or was it $40 with original box shipped.

27.00 Shipped.Bought just to compare.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Mains-Rti 12 -Parasound 1500a
    Center-Csi5-Parasound 1000a
    Rears-Rti 8-Parasound 750a
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    Diamondback and King Cobra IC's
    AQ T4 SC