Fake Audioquest cables??

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 17,040
A friend of mine told me to be concerned about buying fake AQ Cables off ebay anybody heard anything like this? and how would you know?
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You do have to be careful about that. I've heard of people buying Monster Cables off ebay before, and they ended up being counterfeits. I'd imagine the same will happen with AQ's.

I guess you're not really gonna know until you receive it...but watch out for overseas sellers and sellers with real low numbers. Checking their feedback never hurts either
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I've heard of people buying Monster Cables off ebay before, and they ended up being counterfeits.

I wonder if they worked better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I wonder if they worked better.

lol...It's entirely possible.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited February 2009
    Options
    How would one know if they (AQ's) were real or not? Are there any telltale signs?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,913
    edited February 2009
    Options
    On the box of an HDMI cable, I noticed that there was a spelling mistake, everything alse from the pics looked the same but I did notice that soelling error and I doubt the real AQ would allow that.
  • Ric5811
    Ric5811 Posts: 400
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You do have to be careful about that. I've heard of people buying Monster Cables off ebay before, and they ended up being counterfeits. I'd imagine the same will happen with AQ's.

I guess you're not really gonna know until you receive it...but watch out for overseas sellers and sellers with real low numbers. Checking their feedback never hurts either

There are a lot of of overseas sellers right now selling AQ's. Most have high feedback, and high transactions, but then none are for the AQ's. Gavin (MIT) there is a lot of counterfeiting going on in Hong Kong right now. Almost all of the AQ's are from Hong Kong, using mostly stock pics. I think the AQ's would be harder to counterfeit than others due to the braiding, but that doesn't stop anyone.
    Polk RTi A7's FrontPolk CSi A4 CenterPolk Tsi 100's SurroundOnkyo TX-RZ50:)Oppo BDP 83 (Collecting dust)MIT Terminator 3 Speaker CableMIT Terminator 2 IC's (Oppo 2 chan)Signal Cable HT TWOEpson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080Hisense 55 U8GBelkin PF 60 Power Center
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ric5811 wrote: »
    There are a lot of of overseas sellers right now selling AQ's. Most have high feedback, and high transactions, but then none are for the AQ's. Gavin (MIT) there is a lot of counterfeiting going on in Hong Kong right now. Almost all of the AQ's are from Hong Kong, using mostly stock pics. I think the AQ's would be harder to counterfeit than others due to the braiding, but that doesn't stop anyone.

There is a lot of counterfeit Kimber coming from China, too. If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,029
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Personally, if the seller is in Hong Kong I'm not taking the chance.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited July 2010
    Options

Yep,be suspicious of anything from that region.Those little **** are counterfitting everything.The amount of fake semiconductor and other electronics parts they are producing is mind boggling.They are getting so good that with some parts even a trained eye can't spot the fakes from the real.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Yep,be suspicious of anything from that region.Those little **** are counterfitting everything.The amount of fake semiconductor and other electronics parts they are producing is mind boggling.They are getting so good that with some parts even a trained eye can't spot the fakes from the real.

some of the AQ stuff that is fake is really really hard to spot when looking at just the cables from what I've seen that people have gotten. Mostly its in the packaging, or saying the "don't have the original box but its brand new" so its new out of the box yet in wrapping? never understood that one unless it was like somehow magically destroyed...
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,063
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Buy SignalCable...made in the USA baby!
  • Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Makes buying items on the used market a lot scarier. Having original packaging would be about the only way a seller could pass off as new. I just bought some interconnects from HCM audio and they came in HCM plastic bags. This was a retailer recommended on this site. Do I keep those for resale if I decide to in the future?

If all these items are actually counterfeit, why not just counterfeit the packaging also? I used to work as a manufacturing engineer and it is definitely more difficult printing cleanly and legibly on wire and connectors than thermal forming a plastic container or printing on packaging and labeling.

Could these items be real products diverted or purchased from outsourced OEM manufacturers?
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    edited July 2010
    Options

very true!

If I'm going to slap down some serious cash I would only buy new from a official dealer. I would even be suspicious on Audiogon.
  • OWiseOne
    OWiseOne Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I heard that Audioquest manufactors their cables in china and sells it's seconds (slightly damaged) for real cheap. That's why the prices are so low. I bought some king cobra xlr's from and ebay seller and when I received them, I opened up the connectors to see if they looked legit and they do. They also sound pretty darn good to be fakes. I compared the sound to a pair my friend bought here, his were rca's but the sound was pretty much the same. If they are fakes, they're good fakes. I also bought a pair of kimber PBJ's and they sound really good. I didn't have another set of kimbers to compare to though.
    2 - Fosgate Audionics 4200's
    Denon AVR2802
    Martin Logan SL3 - Front mains
    Polk CS350LS - Center
    Infinity Primus P362 - Rear Surrounds
    Infinity Reference 2000.3 - Sides
    Martin Logan Abyss - Sub
    Wadia WT 3200 Reference Transport
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD/HDCD
    Sony PS3 - BluRay
    Monarchy Audio Model 33 DAC/Preamp
    Monarchy Audio DIP Classic
    Monarchy Audio DIP 24/96
    Ming-Da MC-7R Tube Preamp
    Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Processor
    Sony 52" XBR4
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Where do you purchase official authentic AQ's from? From their official website?
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I was buying my AQ Sidewinders from Ovation right around the corner from me. They were a little pricey as the price on them went up to over $60 for 1M from my initial price a few years ago of $40.
    Figuring I'd save a few bucks on the entry level Sidewinders I bought some off Ebay for $38 shipped to my door.
    Within seconds I could tell something was wrong. Even with a new cable not burnt in the "flavor" was completely different.
    I've broken the wiring inside my Sidewinders before and took them apart and resoldered them. I opened up the NEW cables and they were totally different in material and construction.
    This was my first adventure into counterfeits. I'd never "thunk it" that a cheap cable would be replicated.
    I contacted the "ebay seller" and he never contacted me back. After a couple of weeks I noticed he was no longer on Ebay at least by that name.
    Buyer beware.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 702
    edited September 2010
    Options
    May be a dumb question, but does anyone build their own cables? I wouldn't attempt to build a HDMI cable, but RCA patch cords and speaker cables are not difficult to put together. If you build your own, you can avoid these snake oil tricksters.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited September 2010
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    May be a dumb question, but does anyone build their own cables? I wouldn't attempt to build a HDMI cable, but RCA patch cords and speaker cables are not difficult to put together. If you build your own, you can avoid these snake oil tricksters.

Lots of companies sell just the components seperately and you can fit them to your system.
    I don't have a lot of spare time and usually pick mine up preassembled.
    Building your own out of quality NAME components doesn't assure you of safe purchasing unless from a respected dealer of direct from the manufacturer.
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited September 2010
    Options
    A friend of mine told me to be concerned about buying fake AQ Cables off ebay anybody heard anything like this? and how would you know?

I thought you would be able the hear the difference, that's odd.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,040
    edited September 2010
    Options
    jinjuku wrote: »
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk.

The difference between the real cables and fakes should be very obvious shouldn't it?

deleted!!!! Now why don't you do the same???

I never bought a set of fake cables to compare..
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I noted the difference, but he still wasn't sure. They could be good fakes as he says. You believe they are real. Ok. No problem with that, but that is your opinion not a certainty.

What you actually get in Chinese manufacturing is a second production line going where they are making an exact knock off.

I have an Ethernet enabled low voltage relay that I have produced in the U.S. because I know if I farm it out to China they will simply purchase raw components and produce a copy.
  • cnoat
    cnoat Posts: 315
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I have a pair of sidewinders coming in about another week.Bought them just to compare.Let you guys know as soon as they are here.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Mains-Rti 12 -Parasound 1500a
    Center-Csi5-Parasound 1000a
    Rears-Rti 8-Parasound 750a
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    Diamondback and King Cobra IC's
    AQ T4 SC
  • cnoat
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes.Right out of Hong Kong.I run Diamondbacks and sidewinders from my local av shop.Got these just to see.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    AQ T4 SC
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    So that explains the knockoffs. Are copyright laws are not enforcable or hard to enforce?

I know of a product called Webrelay that sounds similar to yours.
    http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/

In China Copyright is basically non-existent. Go to Hong Kong and pick up DVD's, BR's, CD's all professionally done for pennies on the dollar as en example. All from street vendors.

There is even knock off Cisco gear that was being imported by some rather unscrupulous vendors that finally got busted. This is gear was going into Military installations :eek:

Our product if similar except we produce it to be private labeled by other vendors. Primarily security and access control. We will have features that the product you linked to doesn't.
  • jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cnoat wrote: »
    Yes.Right out of Hong Kong.I run Diamondbacks and sidewinders from my local av shop.Got these just to see.

If they came off the same line they will be the same cable.
  • cnoat
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If they came off the same line they will be the same cable.

That would be sweet considering I got them for 27.00 total.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    AQ T4 SC
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2010
    Options

Audioquest discusses this on their website. I just take it for granted that small, easy to copy luxury items are going to be counterfeited.
    Makes buying items on the used market a lot scarier. Having original packaging would be about the only way a seller could pass off as new. I just bought some interconnects from HCM audio and they came in HCM plastic bags. This was a retailer recommended on this site. Do I keep those for resale if I decide to in the future?
    If all these items are actually counterfeit, why not just counterfeit the packaging also? I used to work as a manufacturing engineer and it is definitely more difficult printing cleanly and legibly on wire and connectors than thermal forming a plastic container or printing on packaging and labeling.

Exact duplication of packaging is not that easy and would make it easier to spot fakes, therefore the counterfeiters or second production line runners avoid this altogether. PS Audio and Audioquest's products are manufactured in China, but the packaging is made in the USA.
    Could these items be real products diverted or purchased from outsourced OEM manufacturers?

Yes. Absolutely.
    What you actually get in Chinese manufacturing is a second production line going where they are making an exact knock off.

Yes. Absolutely.

Last year I found some discontinued PS Audio Statement SC power cords on eBay at 60% off retail. The seller was in Hong Kong and had good feedback and offered free shipping and a 7 day 100% refund policy. The seller's ad also indicated that he was taking offers. If the cables turned out to be fakes all I would be out was return shipping. I offered 43% of the seller's asking price and he accepted.

The seller's ad mentioned that the cables were brand new but did not come with manufacturer's packaging. When I asked the seller why new cables did not come with original packaging, he replied that the cables were audio show demos and the packaging had been discarded. Ummmm...ok.

The Statement SC power cords I received from the Hong Kong dealer were identical to the Statement SC cords I purchased directly from PS Audio...even down the the "chalky" smell of the cable jackets...even down to the grayish oxidation on the connector blades...even down to the noise spectrum signatures shown on an oscilloscope.

I sent an email to PS Audio inquiring about these "demo" cables and I received no response. I posted a question on PS Audio's forum (Link: PS Audio Fake Cable Inquiry) and I received this response from their Custom Products Vice President, Ryan Conway:

"While it is difficult to make a definitive statement on the authenticity of all cables being sold from one location or another, we have found every cable that we have purchased from Ebay sellers located in Asian countries to be significantly inferior to authentic PS manufactured cables. The cables look and feel identical to PS cables, but the interior lacks all of our technology and high quality materials.

Since these cables are not authentic PS cables we cannot ensure the quality or more importantly the safety of the cables. Poor workmanship in the cables may cause inferior performance, shorts, or even fire.

PS Audio does not authorize any dealers to sell through Ebay. Period! Cables purchased through Ebay (or other auction sites) should be approached with great caution.

The only way to ensure you are buying authentic PS Audio products is to work directly with an authorized dealer. If you have any question as to the legitimacy of any dealer please call us at 866-406-8946."
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,005
    edited September 2010
    Options

Whomever deleted the half the posts in this thread missed this first trolling post in which the comment/question have absolutely nothing to do with the post he quoted.

Why juju and xpinto are still allowed to post here is beyond me. You wonder why older members don't post like they use, look at those two trolls for the reason.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jinjuku
    edited September 2010
    Options