200 wpc Club

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Face wrote: »
    I agree.

Does anyone here have 200 class A watts? :D

Got 1200 class A watts on about a 60 amp draw.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    Does it matter? Please educate me. :confused:
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    But is has also been established that those who have upped their power for their HT have been greatly surprised & happy by the improvement that 200wpc can bring to the systems.

Not quite. I just recently went from 5*125WPC amp to 5*200WPC amp, and I am not sure if I like the change. The new amp certainly looks better but the older amp had warmer, more natural sound. Both could deliver more than enough power to my all LSi HT system so that was not an issue.

Here we go again... :D
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    MKZ wrote: »
    Does it matter? Please educate me. :confused:

Does what matter? Power or the whole "200 watts per channel" thing?

If it's power, yes, power matters but each application is different and there is far more to it than just an arbitrary "rule of thumb" for a n00b to follow. You need to consider a bunch of stuff when choosing power. Everything from the sensitivity of your speakers to the size of your budget comes in to play.

If it's the "200 watts per channel" thing that is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I've seen stereos with far more than 200 watts per channel that sound spectacular and others that have sounded like poo. Then again, I have an 8 watt per channel amplifier that when hooked up to the proper set of speakers garner compliments from every ear that hears them.

The whole idea of the 200 watts per channel is that it will give you a place to start looking because you aren't going to find much in the way of junk when looking at a power class like that. It gets a n00b in the high fidelity door with decent equipment right off the bat. But it's not a defacto standard because like what has been mentioned already, there are other smaller amplifiers and even bigger ones that will do the job just as well.

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Got 1200 class A watts on about a 60 amp draw.

How have you not burned down your house? :confused:

I could heat my entire apartment with that :D
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Sami
    edited March 2008
    Refefer wrote: »

It's most likely in his car... :)
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited March 2008
    My friend Tom has 320 lbs in a pair of Krell monoblocks; they double down to over 5000 Watts into 1 ohm, IIRC. They look like something that would be a featured obstacle in the world's strongest man competition. "Our competitors today must lift each Krell into the 5 audio racks of varying heights...but watch out for those razor-sharp heat sink blades, mate!".

Runs mostly in class A, I think - he said pure class A but that's hard to believe even for these monsters. He's tried a few high end amps and this is clearly what his Thiel CS7.2's like best. It sounds amazingly beautiful. It's the right solution for his system. Fortunately my Tannoys seem to like a lot less power (though I haven't heard 'em on these Krells).
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2008
    Since I see all the razzing about the 200 wpc Club I figured we could see who qualifies and who is on the threshold. I made it at home and on the road too. I'm not going to go into what all is in the storage bedroom. Only what is currently in use in an active rig.

Home Rig:
    Parasound HCA 2200II @ 250 wpc x 2

The Ride:
    Memphis Audio - 16-MCH1300 @ 230 wpc x 2 & 600 wpc x 1
    for the front Hertz HSK's Mid Bass & Subs

Memphis Audio - 16-MCA3004 @ 230 wpc x 2
    for the front Hertz HSK's Tweeters

You forgot about your riding lawn mower and your air conditioned tractor. Get out the wallet ;)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Even a Thiel won't dip into 5000wpc @ 1ohm. That's just someone owning excess because they can....must be nice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited March 2008
    Happy Club member
    Rotel RB-1092 500w/ch 8 ohms. Bench tested @ 660w/ch 8 ohms.
    [
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Even a Thiel won't dip into 5000wpc @ 1ohm.
    Absolutely true, and in fact I doubt I've heard more than 20 to 30 Watts of audio power being used at his house (we like it loud but not that loud), but the overall engineering excess & decisions made for that kind of output could possibly help in other ways besides Watts.

This guy is a true music lover and I don't think his system is at all unreasonable for the enjoyment it renders. It represents by far the main share of his disposable income, and he's worked hard for it. He's been through a ton of high-end gear, far more than most, and this system does music justice better than any other he's had. I've heard the progress myself.

Like I said, I'm loving my 20 Watt mono blocks at home...I just don't pay heed to the Watts spec beyond its shock entertainment value. Good amps can be had at nearly any Watt rating. The synergy between amp & speaker is critical, and it often doesn't depend on how many Watts are on hand. For people emerging from consumer grade gear (especially receivers), I can see how the 200 Watt line could represent a gateway to higher quality...as that's beyond what a receiver, and the vast compromises they entail, can manage.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2008
    That Manly 500 is nuts, and awesome. I can't even imaging the heat that thing would put out.

I'm almost finished building my 15wpc tube amp, so take that!
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    Does what matter? Power or the whole "200 watts per channel" thing?

If it's power, yes, power matters but each application is different and there is far more to it than just an arbitrary "rule of thumb" for a n00b to follow. You need to consider a bunch of stuff when choosing power. Everything from the sensitivity of your speakers to the size of your budget comes in to play.

If it's the "200 watts per channel" thing that is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I've seen stereos with far more than 200 watts per channel that sound spectacular and others that have sounded like poo. Then again, I have an 8 watt per channel amplifier that when hooked up to the proper set of speakers garner compliments from every ear that hears them.

The whole idea of the 200 watts per channel is that it will give you a place to start looking because you aren't going to find much in the way of junk when looking at a power class like that. It gets a n00b in the high fidelity door with decent equipment right off the bat. But it's not a defacto standard because like what has been mentioned already, there are other smaller amplifiers and even bigger ones that will do the job just as well.

Thank you for your time. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    I simply can't afford that much power so please remove me from the mailing list.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2008
    I guess you could consider me a reformed member. Recently went from 251 per channel (who needed that extra watt to hit 200??) to 120 watts per. I enjoy the amp with the smaller power rating more.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    MKZ wrote: »
    Thank you for your time. :D

What's that all about? I wasn't making a crack at you or anyone else for that matter. I was answering your question based on what has been posted in this thread already.

• Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Refefer wrote: »

I could heat my entire apartment with that :D

'Cause it's not in the house.

AC power is for amateurs! 12 volt DC is where the BIG power is! Class A, Class A/B, Class B, Class D and even Class T amplifiers are abundant! Power ratings go anywhere from about 25 watts per channel to 18,000 watt hybrid D/T class amplifiers that are half an ohm stable.

A friend has an old class A Soundstream amplifier that draws 140 amps and if it could handle the power spike, would produce an arc big enough and hot enough to weld 3/8ths inch thick mild steel.

Most car audio amplifiers have enough headroom that they can effectively double power output for a brief amount of time. If it wasn't for car audio driving the amplifier designs, home audio wouldn't have cheap hybrid class d/t amplifiers that run cool but produce big power. You'd all still be running your ultra clean class A and Class A/B space heaters.

• zingo
    edited March 2008
    What's that all about? I wasn't making a crack at you or anyone else for that matter. I was answering your question based on what has been posted in this thread already.

My .02 is that he was being serious since you wrote a lot, explained it well, and it most likely took a little time.

As far as the car amp stuff goes, who needs that class D and T stuff when you have this baby.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    zingo wrote: »
    As far as the car amp stuff goes, who needs that class D and T stuff when you have this baby.

Because that is only 30 watts per channel on two channels and I don't care how clean and efficient your speakers are, you're not hitting anywhere near the unofficial record of 180.5 dB with 30 watts per channel. Hell, you're not doing it with 200 watts per channel either. The dude who hit that number did it with a Digital Designs 9918Z and a couple Stetsom 7kd's.

Here is a shot of the woofer:

2007_Z12redside.jpg

and some info: http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=z

and here is the Stetsom 7kd

g123200717737366.JPG

Here is some limited info: http://www.stetsom.com.br/eng/Novidades.aspx

Actual power output? I dunno. Probably enough to run a small village for a while.

It's all just cage rattling and pissing contests anyway. But if you go and look at some of the seriously hardcore audio equipment for cars out there, the power levels are quite impressive. Then again, how many home theaters out there can actually exceed 130 dB? That's the "threshold of pain". Beyond that, you will experience some serious hearing loss. But just like auto racing, it's the car stereos that go for those lofty heights that drive the technology that you see in other car stuff and home stuff too.

Here, a decent write up about dB Drags, a little old but still relevant.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/02/popsci.stereo.kill/

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Because that is only 30 watts per channel on two channels and I don't care how clean and efficient your speakers are, you're not hitting anywhere near the unofficial record of 180.5 dB with 30 watts per channel.

And since when louder = better? Even if you could get to 180.5 dB (wow), what's the use of it if your deaf?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Sami
    edited March 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    And since when louder = better? Even if you could get to 180.5 dB (wow), what's the use of it if your deaf?

Bragging rights. Car audio is full of adolescence boys, they don't care how good it is but how cool it makes them look in the eyes of other adolescence boys. :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    I didn't know Jstas was an adolescence boy.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Sami
    edited March 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I didn't know Jstas was an adolescence boy.

Never said he was.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    I'm not and you both missed the point.

Why does a top fuel dragster need to get to 320 MPH in less than 4.3 seconds? Why does a powerboat need to travel at 120 knots in the open ocean? Why does an F1 car need to circle a track effectively going nowhere at 180+ MPH? Why do we need anything that is that excessive?

The people that have stereos that can create those volume levels are in competition and those vehicles are not drivable on the street. They do it for bragging rights, world records and so on in the spirit of competition. The kid being a punk in your neighborhood at 2 am usually can't afford the level of equipment needed to reach those levels. But those who compete at that level do drive technology and push limits. They are also fostering a whole other generation of audio nuts that will go to school, learn the engineering and go out in the world and put together new and innovative products that will give you all kinds of new toys to buy.

Don't knock it because you don't understand it and don't throw out the whole basket of apples because one or two are bad.

• sabotg
    sabotg Posts: 126
    edited March 2008
    Feeding the RTI's 300WPC courtesy of Earthquake Cinenova 7 channel :)
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2008
    525wpc @8 ohms x2 on my RTi12s
    200wpc @8 ohms x3 on my center and surrounds

D-Sonic 1000S is a beast, 1000wpc x 2@ 4ohms. This is my first time using the ICEpower, and I must say Im happy with my setup.

Just finished my car audio install, so Im there as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • zingo
    edited March 2008
    7K watts RMS on that Stetsom 7kd; wow. Forget the small village it could power, you would need a small village worth of alternators to power it!
  • Sami
    edited March 2008
    I'm not and you both missed the point.

No, I think I got it. The latter part about the adolescence boys was just a joke. Most of us are anyways, we like audio gear, fast cars, girls... and our wifes wish we would grow up someday. ;)

In my younger days I was into car audio but not anymore, I find quality home listening much more rewarding and rarely turn the stereo on my car. Not knocking anyone for wanting to enjoy quality sound in their car, it can be done, just not that important to me anymore. Now, on the other hand, who gets most air pressure into a small enclosure, yes it has its purpose but nothing to do with enjoying music really. I know I wouldn't want to be inside that enclosure, neither would you.

Same thing with home theatre and subwoofers, whose hits the hardest. Overkill here and there, but better that way than the other. It's pretty comparable to the obsession about watts and amplifiers for home use.

Enough about the rant, I have better things to do. I think.
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited March 2008
    My 1c's are driven by a Carver TFM 55 pumping 375 w into 8 ohms
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    2238 watts. :)

Actually a little more on one rig. That is total. I think it comes out to 1150 WPC @ 8 Ohms.