200 wpc Club

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    my SDA 2B's get only 199 watts.. damn it! anyone got an extra watt they can loan me? :rolleyes: :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I watched (more like heard) this mega-watt Sunfire amp get it's butt whipped by a meagerly 120 wpc amp :p

Those same 120 WPC are the ones that replaced my 250 WPC. Sounds as good, great bass, 1/4 the price tag. Sweet.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited March 2008
    Adcom 555 II for my DQ10s.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2008
    200 wpc Manley tube power here. Nothing like it!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cubdog
    edited March 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    madmax

Show off.:cool:

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    cubdog - good to see someone liking the DQ10's. I've got a NIB pair sold when I get back to the farm in IA this weekend. I used them for about 2 weeks after buying them new in the late 70's. They've been in the original boxes ever since!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • cubdog
    edited March 2008
    I love them. Completely different animal than Cornwalls but I love switching between the two.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    madmax

Holy swiss cheese, Batman!!

I'd love to hear that. Got pics?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    Since I see all the razzing about the 200 wpc Club
    Power output is overrated, like others have already mentioned.

That being said:

HT mains: 300WPC * 2 (biamped)
    HT centre: 300WPC

2ch: 200WPC

All 4ohm loads, on 8ohm loads the 300->200WPC and 200->100WPC.

My DQ10's are getting a "lowly" 100WPC right now, still sound pretty damn decent. :)
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2008
    See my signature.

In addition, my bedroom rig consist of:

Onkyo pro pr-sc885p Pre/pro.
    Emotiva mps-2 7 channel amp.
    Denon dvd-2930ci Universal player.
    Sony ps3.
    Panasonic dmr-ez47v vcr/dvd recorder.
    Monster Power hts-3500mk2 power conditioner.
    PolkAudio rt-5000p With 4 ls-fx in a 7.3 configuration.
    Paradigm ps-1200 Subwoofer.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    Sunfire 400x5 into 4ohms but bi-amping them with my 15's so i guess you could say 800wpc. Gonna try running my LC65fx sides with the pioneer avr at 140 wpc when I get it all hooked up. I'll probably experiment with using the Sunfire on the sides too.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2008
    205/ch Soundcraftsmen to the DQ-10s and another for the DQ-1 sub.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Gidrah, are you in the showcase? I'd love to see pics of the DQ10's. I'm hoping it will motivate me to get mine out of the closet.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Mains are 270 wpc 2, 4, or 8 ohms.
    Center and rears are 275 wpc @ 8 ohms.
    Sub is 550w @ 4 ohms.

My next amp will either have 75 wpc or 350 wpc x 2.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited March 2008
    200 watts...

Hehe...

Lets talk about current and what Class... :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    I agree.

Does anyone here have 200 class A watts? :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited March 2008
    My Dad... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2008
    500 watts per channel bi-amped stereo
    500 watt x 2 subs
    110 x 3 for surrounds
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2008
    Main amp EVS 500M 550wpc x 2 Icepower
    Surround amp Rawsonte BPA200 200wpc x 4 gainclone

My PC Rig has 30wpc of Pure Class A and the basement rig is a 60wpc gainclone...never felt a need for more power.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited March 2008
    575wpc rig 1, 700wpc bi-amped rig 2.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    This club should be named Club Chuthy for its founders....Chuck and Cathy.

Oh,okay.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2008
    Hey sid, you can calulate the current based on the watts, also, why would you want 200+ watts class "A"? I'd hate those space heaters...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2008
    :) Yeah T3, it's nice to see so many HT setups getting the power that they need to rock out at any volume level.

Now as for Venomclan & BL, there was no need for those potshots gentlemen.

As has been already established, tubes are in an entirely different bracket both for sound & for money. Those of you who have decided to go retro with tubes, vinyl & 2 channel are free to enjoy & no one is FORCING you to have a 200wpc amp. Nor are any of us losers for having 200wpc.

But is has also been established that those who have upped their power for their HT have been greatly surprised & happy by the improvement that 200wpc can bring to the systems.

My goal as have been stated before, is to try to get those new to this whole experience of setting up a HT is to make sure that they get everything they need to enjoy the experience for years to come the first time around.

That includes getting enough power so that they can run any speakers they have now & in the future with ease. That way they can focus on other upgrades other than power down the line.

treitz3 wrote: »
    Cathy's gonna love this thread, no? :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2008
    A happy member of the club. Without power...you got squat!! :D Tubies take a hike!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    But is has also been established that those who have upped their power for their HT have been greatly surprised & happy by the improvement that 200wpc can bring to the systems.

My goal as have been stated before, is to try to get those new to this whole experience of setting up a HT is to make sure that they get everything they need to enjoy the experience for years to come the first time around.

That includes getting enough power so that they can run any speakers they have now & in the future with ease. That way they can focus on other upgrades other than power down the line.

I agree.

Most of us who have been around for a while know that watts are only one of many factors to consider in purchasing an amp. However, it is helpful to give folks fairly new to audio (HT especially) some kind of parameter they can use in their purchase decision that will allow them to really enjoy their gear.

Got my eye on the new Emotiva 2-channel 250-watt amp when it becomes available next month. It's supposed to be a very powerful ****. It uses the same transformer as their latest 5-channel 200 wpc amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • SlowcarIX
    SlowcarIX Posts: 887
    edited March 2008
    A happy member of the club. Without power...you got squat!! :D Tubies take a hike!

lol

not if they have these

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/500_Y2K.html :D
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2008
    2x Marantz MA700 200w monoblocks
    1x Outlaw Audio M200, 200w monoblock.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Now as for Venomclan & BL, there was no need for those potshots gentlemen.

Not a potshot Cathy, no offence intended, just playful banter. Besides, think about how popular this has become, it is now a 200 wpc club.

This is exactly the point, those new to the hobby, and I agree getting out of the bondage of AVR's to seperates is light and day at almost any power rating. There is a trend I see that the more one gets into this hobby and goes higher end, the lower the power rating gets.
    Venom
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2008
    I'm in, I'm in..can we measure ****' now? :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    Ya'll can just keep wastin' those watts. My high-current 120 wpc @ 8 ohms is all I need.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson