Speaker wire does make a difference

Comments

• theshawn
    theshawn Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the input y'all, much appreciated.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited May 2013
    Everything makes a difference.

Poor quality components don't matter if you can't hear a difference

High quality components don't matter if you can't hear a difference

Nothing matters if you can't hear a difference
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited May 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    As long as you're sticking with that kind of standard generic stranded copper cable, they're all going to sound pretty much the same.

Bingo....then the comments of I can't hear a difference follows.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    FWIW, I had bought some of this Monster speaker wire for subs long ago and guess what? It wasn't copper inside! AT least, not in color.
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Drenis wrote: »
    FWIW, I had bought some of this Monster speaker wire for subs long ago and guess what? It wasn't copper inside! AT least, not in color.

Same experience here in my youth of course. Lessons learned the hard way.

Hows the new joint coming along btw ? All moved in ? Got your pics of Celine Dion and David Foster up yet ? :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Hows the new joint coming along btw ? All moved in ? Got your pics of Celine Dion and David Foster up yet ? :biggrin:

LOL... no pictures up yet and it's been a unusually long and stressful unpack. Haven't listened to the stereo since the day I set it up. Enjoying the new place though as it saves money long term.

Thanks for asking.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2013
    Drenis wrote: »
    Same experience here in my youth of course. Lessons learned the hard way. Hows the new joint coming along btw ? All moved in ? Got your pics of Celine Dion and David Foster up yet ? :biggrin:
    Coming from someone who thinks Monster has a marketing team that is giving Bose a run for their money....I think you guys are being a little hard on monster.

While I have no idea what the XLN cable is coated with on the outer, it has a different color center:
    $(KGrHqRHJFEFGBSYU6kbBRjDBBtDW!~~60_3.JPG

So if one believes that stranded wire is stranded wire in terms of sound..then why not go for the one that the the cheapest and has known good quality? IME, the no name off the roll wire corrodes and turns an ugly green real fast and in contrast the Monster wire has held up over time...was even used in different installs in the various car and home systems I have done for myself and others.

Here are some prices:

Stranded wire

AudioQuest FLX 14 AWG- ~$1.00/ft
    Beldon 5000UP 12 AWG - $0.59/ft
    Canare 4S11 14 AWG x 2 - $1.35/ft
    Carol 2C SJ 12 AWG - $0.87/ft
    Gepco HBW Series 12 AWG - $1.05/ft
    Gepco HD Series 12 AWG - $0.90/ft
    Home Depot Speaker Wire off the roll 14 AWG - $0.64/ft
    Home Depot Southwire 500 ft. Black 12-Gauge THHN Wire - $70 roll or $0.14/ft
    Mogami W3103 12 AWG - $2.80/ft
    Monster original ~10-11 AWG - $0.87/ft
    Monster XLN 12 AWG - $0.45/ft SHIPPED!
    Monoprice CL2 12 AWG - $0.33/ft

In all, if one can get the Monster Original stranded wire or the XLN stranded wire at a cheap price like $0.45/ft shipped then it is worth it IMO. That same roll of 18 FT 12 AWG is $24 at another site!!!! The regular retail price on many of their products is not worth it. Still, anything on the list above will get the job done in the lower priced wire segment....especially for the multiple runs needed for HT.

However, IMO, if one is to spend a lot of money on multi-strand solid core wire then I think there are several other things that need to be in place: The equipment, the room, the source material, the interconnects, the crossovers, etc. and ONES OWN EARS really need to be worthy.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited May 2013
    The speaker wire making a difference question will always be a matter of opinion as we all hear different. I can't help but to think of my own hearing vs. a good friend of mine. We have both played music every since we were kids and he is an awesome talent and has a good ear for music and improvisation. However, going back to our teens, 20's, 30's I always thought his high frequency hearing was off. Whenever he would adjust the PA the top end and even mid range was HOT! I would always have to go behind him and flatten out things. In contrast my hearing was more sensitive. Hot or badly adjusted PA systems would give me a headache.

If we both were to audition the same high end 2 ch system in the same room I am sure our ability to hear differences in wire/cables would be totally different. Now in our 40's I can't deny the fact that my high freq hearing is not the same as it was in my 20's. Still, I am convinced that I could hear more subtle difference in equipment than my bud even though he turned out to be a much better musician than myself. I guess I have heard cases of the musician and the engineer disagreeing about the final mix.:biggrin:

So, I think one would really have to get all the other factors together before they can decide that a $250, $500, or $1500 set of speaker cables is worth it to them. Then there is the DIY cable vs. brand ? argument and blind test debate as well. IMO, speakers are the most subjective piece of equipment in a system in terms of defining what sounds good to ones ears. I see wire as being a more subtle difference when compared to speakers.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2013
    Since we are having a good discussion on wire how about those little iron rings that I see from time to time on like VGA/ HDMI cables would they serve a purpose on speaker wire?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2013
    Ha ha.......a five yr old thread and still the same arguments going back and forth. It picked up right where it left off like we all just fell asleep for 5 yrs.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • WLDock
    edited May 2013
    This will go on till wire is no longer needed to connect components and speakers.:mrgreen:
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,165
    edited May 2013
    WLDock wrote: »
    This will go on till wire is no longer needed to connect components and speakers.:mrgreen:

Agreed!!
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    ... I see wire as being a more subtle difference when compared to speakers.

Yes and no, it can be subtle or more pronounced. Everything in the chain is going to impart something on the sound. In general, yeah, speakers will contribute the most to the sound imho too. Thing for me is, once you start moving up the chain of speakers, the electronics and cables have to follow too. After all, whats the point of forking out the coin for great speakers if you won't let them operate at their best ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • theshawn
    theshawn Posts: 70
    edited May 2013

Uh huh....then the argument will be about wired vs. non-wired sound or about how one company makes a wireless signal that is better than another.....
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited May 2013
    theshawn wrote: »
    Uh huh....then the argument will be about wired vs. non-wired sound or about how one company makes a wireless signal that has less jitter than another.....

Fixed it for ya :cheesygrin:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    That's right PFB. It will either be jitter, or something else unique to wireless, that people will try to correct. And if it exists then we will have another interesting subject to discuss.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    Which we should already be aware of, as you know BF they already have a high priced Ethernet cable..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • WLDock
    edited May 2013
    Yes and no, it can be subtle or more pronounced. Everything in the chain is going to impart something on the sound. In general, yeah, speakers will contribute the most to the sound imho too. Thing for me is, once you start moving up the chain of speakers, the electronics and cables have to follow too. After all, whats the point of forking out the coin for great speakers if you won't let them operate at their best ?
    I agree....that's why I posted on the "LSIM707 BiWire post"

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?149305-Lsim-707-and-bi-amps&highlight=LSiM

They were talking about $200 jumpers and Bi-Wiring, etc. which I think is absurd when you think of all the connections inside of the 707 speaker. Why spend a bunch of money on speaker wires and jumpers when there are a ton of metal to metal connections and cost effective, wire, compnents, PCB, in the signal chain? Your end result will only be as good as the weak link in the chain:

IMO, this should be the start before spending a lot of cash on speaker wire:
    Polk%20Inside.jpg?1315751397

Not saying that what Polk did was not sutable as they are awesome physicist and engineers....but, they have to get mass produced high quality out the door at a decent price that the bean counters and the consumers are good with....so they can only go so far on the wire, crossovers, and connections.

I guess i still don't get the $200 jumpers? Hell, if I had $100K burning a hole in my pocket and I just picked up a set of JBL Everest and a couple of Krell mono blocks, I guess $200 jumpers and $5k+ wire falls right inline?
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Gotcha....but your hitting the extremes. You don't need to spend 5g's on cables either. There's a vast amount of real estate in-between monoprice and 5g cables. Your analogy just doesn't hold water. You yourself said if you had the cash, Krell mono blocks would be on your radar. If that's the case, how could all that electronics benefit from the crap wiring in the wall, if following your thought process. The only other assumption is that by stating if you had the cash only reflects that you must justify somehow that you don't. Well, some people do have the cash, which elevates them to be able to play audio on a whole other level.

We have this discussion a gazillion times a year, and I'll wager within the next few days someone else will come along and post why cables don't/do matter.....blah blah. Gets old my friend, but one has to be willing to try new things before jumping to conclusions.

For me personally, I could give a rats behind if a cable is made with 6n copper or 9n, stranded, twisted, 9ga or 14 ga. Silver, Palladium, or some other exotic metallurgy. Solid core, air dielectric, or whatever. It could be made out of dog poo for all I care. It's how it sounds in my system to my ears and that's the bottom line. How it happens, why it happens, the science of it all, irrelevant to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Hey man, anyone that can form dog poo into cables.....and shield them to hide the smell, has my admiration.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    edited May 2013
    Hey man, anyone that can form dog poo into cables.....and shield them to hide the smell, has my admiration.:biggrin:

What do you think that playdough looking stuff on the ends of his cables really is? :eek:
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    I agree....that's why I posted on the "LSIM707 BiWire post"

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?149305-Lsim-707-and-bi-amps&highlight=LSiM

They were talking about $200 jumpers and Bi-Wiring, etc. which I think is absurd when you think of all the connections inside of the 707 speaker. Why spend a bunch of money on speaker wires and jumpers when there are a ton of metal to metal connections and cost effective, wire, compnents, PCB, in the signal chain? Your end result will only be as good as the weak link in the chain:

IMO, this should be the start before spending a lot of cash on speaker wire:
    Polk%20Inside.jpg?1315751397

Not saying that what Polk did was not sutable as they are awesome physicist and engineers....but, they have to get mass produced high quality out the door at a decent price that the bean counters and the consumers are good with....so they can only go so far on the wire, crossovers, and connections.

I guess i still don't get the $200 jumpers? Hell, if I had $100K burning a hole in my pocket and I just picked up a set of JBL Everest and a couple of Krell mono blocks, I guess $200 jumpers and $5k+ wire falls right inline?

Sir, there have been an innumerable number of posts about Polkies updating their speakers PCB's, Caps, resistors, binding posts, internal wire, and a great number of other internal to the speaker tweeks to update and improve their speakers. Particualrly the SDA line of speakers. If you haven't seen/read them please look up Darqueknight's (Ray's) very thorough and informative threads regarding the updating and improvement to the sound (or lack of improvement, or detriment too). Aslo, there have been an innumerable number of posts regarding speaker wire, jumpers, amps, pre-amps, sources, etc. external to the speakers (and the improvement, lack of improvement, or detriment to the audio). Go check it out please.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    long story short Don't listen to anyone but yourself about wire, if YOU hear a difference then that's all that matters..
    I've come to a conclusion that Human ears and the ear canal are not all created equal and the region of the brain that makes Logical decisions..
    BUT you have to at least try different cables or wire before dismissing it.:smile:
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Kazimir
    Kazimir Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    theshawn wrote: »
    Uh huh....then the argument will be about wired vs. non-wired sound or about how one company makes a wireless signal that is better than another.....

Don't forget about the air purity and humidity levels that are more optimal for wireless transmission.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    edited May 2013
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Since we are having a good discussion on wire how about those little iron rings that I see from time to time on like VGA/ HDMI cables would they serve a purpose on speaker wire?

Hello, PolkieMan. I do not believe anybody addressed your question yet. What you are talking about is a ferrite. I would tend to think that they would have no impact on a speaker wire due from most speaker magnets being made of ferrite or alnico. I personally do not ever recall seeing a speaker wire having a ferrite core around it. PC's, IC's and other types of interconnect cables, yes. SC's, no.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    That's what I Said, if You hear a difference then that's all that matters..
    If you can't hear any differences then buy yourself a $99 system
    DSkip wrote: »
    Everything makes a difference, its just whether or not you can hear it. If you can't it doesn't mean it isn't altering the sound in some way, better or worse. When listening on your own system, its far easier to hear the differences since you're already so familiar with the system.

It's like saying there's a difference between a 92 mph and 95 mph fastball. If you can't hit either one, it doesn't matter which one you see. You can't deny or dismiss that there is a difference in speed, it just doesn't matter in your situation. For someone who can hit a 92 mph fastball, facing a 95 mph fastball might be an entirely different monster.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2013
    I posted this in the wrong thread.
    But IMHO:
    Either speaker cables make a differnece or they do not make a difference and I have have heard it both ways.
    From my personal experience YMMV..... IC's make a bigger difference than speaker cables.

Combined with a good digital cable, I would upgrade the source cables first.

Then the speaker cables.
    Look at the Nordost Flatline when your ready for SC's (doubt you will ever go back to any other, and only look forward from there).

Under $100 for the Flatlines, depending on how long you need.

PS: I have some of the AQ Midnight on hand here if you need more!:lol:
    Make ya a good deal Dragon1952!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • WLDock
    edited May 2013
    headrott wrote: »
    Sir, there have been an innumerable number of posts about Polkies updating their speakers PCB's, Caps, resistors, binding posts, internal wire, and a great number of other internal to the speaker tweeks to update and improve their speakers. Particualrly the SDA line of speakers. If you haven't seen/read them please look up Darqueknight's (Ray's) very thorough and informative threads regarding the updating and improvement to the sound (or lack of improvement, or detriment too). Also, there have been an innumerable number of posts regarding speaker wire, jumpers, amps, pre-amps, sources, etc. external to the speakers (and the improvement, lack of improvement, or detriment to the audio). Go check it out please.
    I've read posts here, there, and other places around the net. I've played with DIY passives vs. active a little, etc, etc....I even want to do a DIY design at some point. I know these post are old , tired and drawn out but I think we are on the same page........Ultimately its ones own ears that will determine at what point one needs to leave well enough alone! I know its been said a million times before.
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone remember these cables, they were my first expensive cable purchase in the early 90's..
    I also have the Black Knights which are in use..
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2013
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Does anyone remember these cables, they were my first expensive cable purchase in the early 90's..
    I also have the Black Knights which are in use..
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Never heard the Nordost IC's?:eek:
    Any good?

I bought a pair of the Nordost Flatline speaker cables about 4 years ago (my second pair), and still have them in use today!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing