Speaker wire does make a difference

Comments

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    Nope, we were just informed by you..
    Old house old wire old room, new house new wire new room different sound of course..
    Personally I think it was the spilled blood on the cable that affected it sonically, lol
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I've proven to myself yet again. I had some Audioquest Midnight speaker cable in my system for a couple years. This wire is so stiff and hard to work with it's basically not worth hassling with. When I moved into the new house I decided I wasn't going to screw with it anymore so I used some Canare Star Quad I had laying around. Well I haven't been real happy with the system lately. I gave it a good 2 months and I finally decided to try the Midnight again. It took me a freakin' hour to change the bananas. It's like wrestling an anaconda for crying out loud. I stabbed myself with the screwdriver several times, lost a lot of blood and muttered lots of nasty things under my breath, but wow what a change. Anybody that says speaker cable can't make a difference is seriously uninformed. I don't know...maybe it's just the blood loss affecting me. :rolleyes:
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    You obviously were not here for our big HDMI cable debate, apperantly there is or is not a difference.........bring popcorn
    kl3640 wrote: »
    In an analog system, the quality of the conductor (and thus signal loss, interference, etc.) makes a big difference. Not so much in a digital system so long as the transmission standard's minimum requirement is met. Thus, in an analog system, 18ga gold wire vs 18ga copper wire with the same exact construction, insulators, etc, will make a difference. In a digital system, such as say a data network, I won't purchase anything beyond the minimum design for the maximum data throughput (current or planned) for my system. Therefore, if I was wiring an insurance office for gig-copper and I never thought I'd need more than that, I might only get Cat 5e. However, if I was wiring a computer graphics shop, I'd go with Cat 6e or fiber or something, because I'm always going to push the envelope of the data rate.

Perhaps a better example: I might spend a lot on a certain brand of copper cables for my SDA SRS 1.2 TL's, but I wouldn't spend a lot on a HDMI or digital optical audio cable so long as they're certified to meet the minimum transport standard. Those MONSTER "silver" and "gold" HDMI cables are the biggest rip-offs going...after all, it's a digital standard!
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • custopper30
    custopper30 Posts: 252
    edited May 2013
    college student budget, monoprice ftw
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited May 2013
    Jhayman.....psst....you are arguing with posts that are 5 years old! lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    Not arguing just having fun, note the , lol and bring popcorn Humor..
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited May 2013
    I'm really looking forward to ordering some of Doug's speaker cables!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    edited May 2013
    Mownhoj wrote: »
    Thanks Fellas for keeping this thread so informative and respectful
    Hello, John and welcome to the forum. It is nice when that happens. Folks actually learn.
    Mownhoj wrote: »
    So, after reading these posts, I am wondering if my speaker wire might be an issue.
    From what you mention, I would tend not to think so. Upgraded cables, while they *can* and will make a positive change [given the right circumstances], will not correct any rear channel deficiencies. The home improvement stuff would be on par with what you currently have....unless they are oxidized beyond recovery.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mownhoj
    Mownhoj Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    OK, thanks for the info everyone. It sounds like my system really isn't at a level that wire could make much of a difference. I'm only running wire maybe 15 feet at the most so I suppose I'll just get some affordable wire for now.
    Thanks,
    John
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    That is the best looking Velociraptor I've ever seen..
    Rick88 wrote: »
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,313
    edited May 2013
    Jhayman wrote: »
    That is the best looking Velociraptor I've ever seen..

Maybe so, but that's a very impressive rack....uh....gear rack, right?? Ok, how 'bout classic rack? Thanks Rick, for bringing a classic rack to an outdated thread :mrgreen:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • TheHammer610
    TheHammer610 Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I think it depends on the "Quality" of copper...Most of your better wire is almost "pure" in mixture.

Most of the cheaper stuff is just that,copper that is mixed with alot of "filler" tin.

LOL. What is the filler? Kitty litter? Nope, there is none.

Some people get into oxide free. Well, copper oxide does not conduct well. If it were in standard wire, then the resistance would be higher and that is measurable.

Sorry, the only difference between wire is resistance, stranded vs. solid, gauge. #16 stranded gauge is fine unless your speaker wires are exceptionally long.

And don't forget about all that wire inside the speaker (the speaker coil). And the crossover...

OK, don't believe me? Then try a double-blind test yourself. But it has to be blind, or your expectations will influence what you "hear". In every test ever done with speaker wire, when the tester did not know what was being tested, the listener could not find the difference. ABX would be better, but that requires special equipment.

OK, I know I will never convince you, but I feel better.

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_wire.htm

http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    Popcorn anyone?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    edited May 2013

Some people get into oxide free. Well, copper oxide does not conduct well. If it were in standard wire, then the resistance would be higher and that is measurable.

Sorry, the only difference between wire is resistance, stranded vs. solid, gauge. #16 stranded gauge is fine unless your speaker wires are exceptionally long.

And don't forget about all that wire inside the speaker (the speaker coil). And the crossover...

OK, don't believe me? Then try a double-blind test yourself. But it has to be blind, or your expectations will influence what you "hear". In every test ever done with speaker wire, when the tester did not know what was being tested, the listener could not find the difference. ABX would be better, but that requires special equipment.

Did you join just for this? Where's the Roger Rabbit, I mean Russell link?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,351
    edited May 2013
    In every test ever done with speaker wire, when the tester did not know what was being tested, the listener could not find the difference.

That's an outright lie and just goes to show that you don't know what you're talking about.

So, what cables have you actually tried in your rig?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    edited May 2013
    Note to self...personal attacks will get you banned so no comments about the questionable genetic make up of a human/jackass experiment.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,165
    edited May 2013

Glad you feel better, but I hope you realize you haven't sold anybody!! Still feel better? I have done my own testing, in my own rig, and your rant means nothing..
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    See a preschool timeout does wonders..lol
    Welcome Back:wink:
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Note to self...personal attacks will get you banned so no comments about the questionable genetic make up of a human/jackass experiment.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013

Let me post a page of my own and please read and understand everything that Darqueknight posted. Thank you and I look forward to your responses after doing some learning and understanding.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-Blind-Testing
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited May 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's an outright lie and just goes to show that you don't know what you're talking about.

So, what cables have you actually tried in your rig?

There are cables that sound different. They also measure differently. Whether that difference is preferred is another question.

It's the same for any other component: Make it different then market that difference.

I wonder what's going to happen when the wireless standards congeal and you no longer have to worry about L/C/R and gauge in some installations.
  • Jhayman
    edited May 2013
    Then it will be all about the quality of the wi/fi signal and receiver..
    There are cables that sound different. They also measure differently. Whether that difference is preferred is another question.

It's the same for any other component: Make it different then market that difference.

I wonder what's going to happen when the wireless standards congeal and you no longer have to worry about L/C/R and gauge in some installations.
  • theshawn
    theshawn Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    So has anyone ever tried this stuff as speaker wire?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MBZVFE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered some for the hell of it to try out and see if I notice any diff over 16 gauge I'm using now. I'll be cutting it in half so it'll only be 9 foot runs to my fronts. I'll probably notice a difference just because I want to. lol
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    You can get equal, or better, 12 gauge at the hardware store.

I had a mixture of cheapo 14 and 16 gauge wire in my my HT, and I decided to clean it up. I bought 100 feet of stranded, twisted copper 12 gauge at Home Depot and spent a Saturday afternoon cutting exact lengths to each speaker, and I upgraded the speaker (LSi15s) jumpers with it. Turned it on and let it warm up. That night when I watched a movie I knew it sounded better. That was the point where I started to realize maybe speaker wire does make a difference.

Now I am a complete convert to speaker wire, inter-connects, and power cords. I cannot say it enough. Better cables, and power, make better music. Assuming you aren't deaf.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • theshawn
    edited May 2013
    Better at the hardware store? How come? I mean I know Monster is over rated but didn't think it was THAT over rated. lol
  • AjsCrown
    AjsCrown Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    Dang! Sounds like someone's trying to use data transmission specs from a T1 line! Bridgetap?? Really!!
    How many KF are we talking? How far from the source,or load for that matter??
    Alot of those fancy words dont apply to audio cable!
    If i had to guess,the most critical thing would be connections,and surface area of the connection.
    Just my 2 cents. :)
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited May 2013
    theshawn wrote: »
    Better at the hardware store? How come? I mean I know Monster is over rated but didn't think it was THAT over rated. lol

Better, in that the hardware store doesn't make claims like:

Extra low noise construction
    Patented Magnetic Flux
    High Quality
    Breaks up internal electromagnetic fields

Better in that the hardware store price's it as a commodity not as a magic device.

Nothing wrong with M***** if the price is right, but nothing special either.
  • theshawn
    edited May 2013
    OK so how much would 18' of 12 gauge cost at the hardware store? For $9 I'll take the chance that a company more geared towards audio cables just might have a technology in their wires that exceeds plain jacketed copper. This thread spoke about internal wire issues, does this magnetic flux do absolutely nothing and is 100% marketing bs? I get their marketing bs and for the most part think they are over rated and way to expensive for what you get. You and others here are more knowledgeable than myself so I have no problem being educated (or re-educated as the case may be lol). If this "magnetic flux" crap is truly just marketing bs and has no actual audio value then I want to know.

I think what I'd like to ask is....is this Monster 12 gauge for car subwoofers any better than 16 gauge home speaker wire? Because of marketing bs I'm thinking their home speaker cable as mass marketed at Best Buy, etc. is no better, and if you purchased 12 gauge "home speaker" wire there you'd pay a lot more per foot than 0.50 imo. BECAUSE of marketing bs, the wire marketed for home speakers in the home audio section is of the same quality as the stuff in car audio but they can't get the same markup in car audio?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited May 2013
    Yes and no my friend, certainly marketing B.S. exists in the cable industry but shouldn't define the industry as a whole. Same with other audio products. Thing is to get YOUR ears on as much as possible to see which brands float your boat and then give them a whirl in your system. It's not rocket science, but does take some trial and error.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    edited May 2013
    Shawn,

My recommendation for a quality speaker cable that you literally can't go wrong with is the Audioquest Flex series CL rated wire.
    Audio Etc. in Centerville *should* sell it in bulk. Just buy 18ft of their 14/2.
    Either that or the whatever bulk CL rated cable Hanson in Dayton sells.

Heck...isn't Parts Express in Springboro? Just pick up some Dayton Audio CL rated cable from them...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,351
    edited May 2013
    As long as you're sticking with that kind of standard generic stranded copper cable, they're all going to sound pretty much the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2013
    Better, in that the hardware store doesn't make claims like:
    Extra low noise construction
    Patented Magnetic Flux
    High Quality
    Breaks up internal electromagnetic fields
    Better in that the hardware store price's it as a commodity not as a magic device.
    Nothing wrong with M***** if the price is right, but nothing special either.
    Sounds like an issue with Monster as a company or their advertising etc...? They all claim something about the quality of their wire...some more than others.

Nevertheless, I disagree about their basic or XLN wire products. If I can get it at cheap Amazon prices I would take it anyday over the off the roll Home Depot stuff. I've used their wire for ages in the home and in the car and the wire is true 12 AGW, is well marked for polarity, has a durable yet flexible jacket, is easy to work with, and sounds fine. Also, the wire holds up over time....even in the car...it does not corrode as fast and turn green like the cheap off the roll stuff.

Anyway, that Monster wire is a good deal at about $0.45/ft. shipped for 12 AWG. The basic Gepco pro A/V wire that I plan to use to rewire my HT system is about $1.05/ft: who knows...I might end up using the cheaper Beldon.

Anything more in terms of wire ...and now one must consider the crossovers and all internal wire feeding the speakers.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2