Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Dipole Dan
    Dipole Dan Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Greetings! I am a new member and a good friend of Carl (schwarcw). I have moved from Pittsburgh to Annapolis, and am looking forward to attending Polk Fest this year. Please (someone) sign me up!!!
    Dipole Dan
    PS - I got my name (thanks to Carl) due to the fact I had (and loved) for many years the Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV speakers. I unfortunately had to get rid of them for my move to Annapolis since my A/V room is much smaller. I'm now
    looking for a suitable replacement. I was using two pairs of the Maggie MCM1's mounted on the walls for side and back speakers (a remarkable match), which I kept. I don't have room for Dipoles up front any more (my Platinums needed 3-1/2 feet from the front wall and 4 feet from the side walls.) I am thinking of the Definitive Tech Mythos STS speakers, or some of the new Polk in-walls. I hope I'll be able to hear the in-walls at the Fest. My MCM1's may not be a good match for any of these. Any advice is welcome.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Dipole Dan! You are gonna have a really good time at Polkfest. As far as a suitable replacement for the Carver's? Hmmm, that's gonna be a challenge.

How big is your listening room? Also, where have I heard the name Dipole Dan before? It sounds vaguely familiar.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Welcome Dan! It is good to see you here.

I have Polk LCi in-walls and really like them for the surround system, but I wonder if you would be happy with them since you loved the Carvers so much. Why not treat the room instead, and put some Carver's, Maggies, Quad's or InnerSound Isis (smaller version of the Eros) in there closer to the walls/corners? My bud Norm has the large InnerSound Eros (electrostatic dipoles) in a much smaller room than yours (13x16 IIRC) and has heavily treated the first and second reflection points with GIK panels. This allows closer placement to the back wall/corners. He gets a wide and deep soundstage, female singers are in your lap, and subs need not apply. Ask Carl as he has heard Norm's system.

I understand how large rooms can allow dipoles to sound great without room treatment as I get away without treatment set up on my long West wall. My South wall setup can load up bass in the corners at high SPL's. My listening room is open to the main level with high ceilings. GIK has some new recommendations for me (with diffusor's and their Tri-Traps) so I may try it again.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ok peeps.. it's time to start booking my hotel room.. is there a hotel that some people are staying at and have already booked their room?

Let me know if you have.. i'd kind of like to stay at the same place or nearby to other Polkies.

I have to book by this weekend or lose my discounted price.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Knock, knock! anyone home???? Helllooooo, Helllloooooo!
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited July 2008
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    Knock, knock! anyone home???? Helllooooo, Helllloooooo!

You told me this was a bridge club, not a refinerery. I'm sending my twin sister stuwella instead, :eek:

Craig
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • danger boy
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I don't get it.. there was a lot of buzz in here three of four month's ago.. now nada. We have to get the momentum back people.. we're only a few month's away now from the biggest and best Polkfest in the history of Polkfests. :D
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2008
    Options
    DB- I know there seemed like a good amount of people staying in the Pikesville Hilton. The info's somewhere buried in the beginning of the thread. Hope it helps.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • danger boy
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Cool, thanks strider. Is that the same Hilton as the one by the airport?
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Cool, thanks strider. Is that the same Hilton as the one by the airport?

No, it's not the one by the airport. It's the first hotel listed in the "Polkfest 2008 information" thread under "near Polk HQ". It's probably 40 minutes or so from BWI, maybe closer depending on traffic.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I don't get it.. there was a lot of buzz in here three of four month's ago.. now nada. We have to get the momentum back people.. we're only a few month's away now from the biggest and best Polkfest in the history of Polkfests. :D

Dont worry man i am pumped up for this. I have been looking foward to it since I left Ted's last year.
  • danger boy
    edited July 2008
    Options
    While trying to book my flight.. the price jumped up by $60 in the time I was online booking it.

This is not good. I have to seriously question if I can afford it now. :mad:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2008
    Options
    While trying to book my flight.. the price jumped up by $60 in the time I was online booking it.

This is not good. I have to seriously question if I can afford it now. :mad:

Yes, you CAN afford it, and yes, we are all as excited as you are with the coming polkfest.

I booked months ago in the Hilton Pikesville.

So.....what's the plan (plans) for Thursday night???????

Where's John Strong???????? He has not posted for a while.....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Im taking off thursday so I can take my time driving up there. It's about a 4 to 5 hour drive for me. If we are getting together thurs night im up for it.
  • danger boy
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Finally got my flight booked... Yay! :)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm looking forward to talking to you again Al!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • danger boy
    edited August 2008
    Options
    me too Cathy... is Mark going to be with you on this trip?
  • danger boy
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Im taking off thursday so I can take my time driving up there. It's about a 4 to 5 hour drive for me. If we are getting together thurs night im up for it.

I get in late Thurs night... so if anyone wants to meet for a night cap let me know. :D
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yes Mark will be with me.
    me too Cathy... is Mark going to be with you on this trip?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2008
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Yes Mark will be with me.
    Lucky guy :D

REGARDS POKE
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    No not lucky, just my brother!:D
    snow wrote: »
    Lucky guy :D

REGARDS POKE
  • snow
    edited August 2008
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    No not lucky, just my brother!:D
    Sure he is. Lucky and Proud both. Lucky to have you as his sis and Proud to be seen with you. :)

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    :o Aww shucks. Thanks Snow I appreciate that. It's a shame you can't come to PF, I would love to meet you.:)
    Sure he is. Lucky and Proud both. Lucky to have you as his sis and Proud to be seen with you. :)

REGARDS SNOW
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2008
    Options

REGARDS SNOW

I thought that brown ring around your nose was a birth mark!!!!:D:p
  • snow
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I thought that brown ring around your nose was a birth mark!!!!:D:p
    LMAOOOOO. If its only around my nose it aint bad, Now if it was around my eyebrows i've went too far :p

REGARDS SNOW
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Now if it was around my eyebrows i've went too far :p

REGARDS SNOW

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm surprised Cathy didn't beat me up for that one.:D
  • danger boy
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I might have an extra bed in the room I'm booking.. so If anyone is interested in sharing a room and splitting the costs.. let me know.

I haven't booked the room yet.. so I don't know the cost per person.. this is just more of an interest check at this point.. but I could use the help to defray the costs.

AL
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    :D No need Joe, it takes more than that to get me riled. Snow, ROTFLMAO!!!!:D
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm surprised Cathy didn't beat me up for that one.:D
  • rayslifecycle
    rayslifecycle Posts: 511
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm in!!!! I live in the DC area so I will come on up for the events on Friday and Saturday.
    Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Ray
This discussion has been closed.