Nerds

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    My father advised me and my sisters to decide what kind of lifestyle we wanted and then choose a career that would facilitate that lifestyle.

I gave my daughters exactly the opposite advice. I told them to find something that they love to do and adapt your lifestyle around that. I know lots of miserable people that make a "good" living and absolutely hate their jobs...but must keep them to maintain their lifestyle. I also know a number of people who love what they do and enjoy going to work everyday and do without some of the "luxuries". The latter group seems much happier.

Along the same lines, I also told them that just because they start a certain career path...they can always change. I advised them to take a good mix of electives in college, basic business, some computer courses, etc...so they will have a basic skillset if their chosen profession doesn't pan out that will allow them to try something else.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited February 2008
    Engineers today seem (at least in my line of work) to become project managers by default.

I did project management for 3 years; glad to be back to running an R&D lab. I am too disorganized for PM.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    I gave my daughters exactly the opposite advice. I told them to find something that they love to do and adapt your lifestyle around that. I know lots of miserable people that make a "good" living and absolutely hate their jobs...but must keep them to maintain their lifestyle.

Our dad assumed, correctly, that we had the common sense not to choose a job/career that would make us miserable.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2008
    Project management. Yuk! Been there, done that.

We have a generation of folks that feel the big bucks are in MBA/business
    degrees. And they're right. Why do all that hard math, when all
    you have to do to make $150k is talk and smooze?

Almost evey customer I deal with is dumping technical/engineering
    people and outsourcing. Same for my employer. Big conference calls
    with a ton of people over-analyzing every aspect of a job that any
    first year tech could do blindfolded. Then contract it out to try to
    save a few bucks. All they want me to do is be there to talk the
    contract people through the hard stuff. Most the time, I just work from
    the house. Makes for a short commute.

Any wonder why we are getting killed by Asian nations? Steve Wozniac didn't
    get his degree until AFTER he left Apple. A big company wouldn't of looked
    twice at him for a job. Yet he was one of the leaders of the modern
    computer age.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    when all you have to do to make $150k is talk and smooze?

lol...
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    lol...

Yes, I know its spelled SCHMOOZE, but those guys are toooo smooth
    of operators for all those extra letters.
    And yes, many of them make twice as much as an engineer.
    I've know a couple of engineers that went over to the dark side.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2008
    lol...

Elaborate please :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Elaborate please :)

You're goading me!!! :)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2008
    You're goading me!!! :)

How dare you?! I would never!
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    sucks2beme wrote:
    And they're right. Why do all that hard math, when all
    you have to do to make $150k is talk and smooze?

That would be an interesting point of view....IF you had a clue of what you were talking about.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yup, absolutely true today; you'll make better money, faster.
    And I say this as a PhD biochemist with 20 years of experience in analytical instrumentation and biotechnology!

I'd probably be retired now if I had learned to do automobile repair or HVAC (and I am not being facetious).

Um, I disagree. I worked in the HVAC trade for 4 years in MA/ RI, with about 10+ hours of o.t. and barely cleared 44K my last year B-4 moving so.
    If you want to make more $, I'm SURE you could get a job as a calibration technician.
    Just don't plan on being HOME a whole lot. The guy I talked to down here said he averages 163 nights in hotels per year:eek:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2008
    That would be an interesting point of view....IF you had a clue of what you were talking about.

Yes, I have a clue. Maybe it's just my industry.
    Bottom line- the sheepskin pays out. Non-technical non-engineering
    pays much better in many cases. Sales, management, and
    the latest wave of project managers make the big bucks. And eveyone
    can see the open recs and the pay scales for these jobs before they're filled.
    So Im not guessing. Old line PM types are still out there humping out
    work, and as they retire, the new wave guys take over.
    And smart engineers take the less technical route to the big bucks.
    That's where the real drain comes from.
    My engineering head, strange enough, is an MBA!
    The guy is insanely smart, but didn't have the patience for management.
    And he must work at 80 hours a week. He reads everything and remembers it.
    Guys like that are what drive the business.
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    Your statement that "talking and smoozing" is all that is necessary to make the big bucks is just ****.

I could make a similar generalizaton that all engineers are a bunch of narrow minded, number crunchers that have no clue about the big picture of running a business and the people skills of a flea. But I won't because even though that describes some engineers...it doesn't decribe the vast majority.

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2008
    I think any successful company needs to have a balance between the business and the technical. Both parts are needed and required. Smoozing is very important, it allows the customer to feel confident with the product. Smoozing is good salemanship.

The problems that I have experienced is when the business people start telling the engineers how to make it. And when the engineers tell the business people what to sell.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Damn... I didn't know it was so easy to pull down $150k. I'm an engineer not making that much. Someone please please enlighten me on how I can easily start making that much money by talking and "smoozing". I may sound sarcastic, but seriously... tell me how to make that money.
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Damn... I didn't know it was so easy to pull down $150k. I'm an engineer not making that much. Someone please please enlighten me on how I can easily start making that much money by talking and "smoozing". I may sound sarcastic, but seriously... tell me how to make that money.

Make your company significantly more than $150,000 per year and chances are they will make sure you are compensated accordingly. I generate roughly 8x my income in revenues for my company.

• PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Make your company significantly more than $150,000 per year and chances are they will make sure you are compensated accordingly.

That sounds like real work. I just want to talk and smooze.
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote:
    And who do I talk to and smooze to do that?

Whomever will buy goods or services from your company. If you can sell, you are always worth a lot to a company. It is not unusual for income producers to make more than executives. I don't care how many good people design and build a service or product, and how many people manage the process, and how many people keep track of all of it...unless someone pays for it, it means nothing. For all the bad rap salespeople get...it is the ability to talks and smooze that makes them successful.

• PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Being in sales does sound like a dream. If you're doing well, you take all the credit. If you're doing poorly, blame the product! :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    This subject is in my mind right now. I am a Mechanical Engineer. Since I was 5 I could not see a screwdriver because I'd pick it up and find something to unscrew; this got me in a LOT of trouble. I damaged a lot of things at home (I was actually "fixing" them). I guess there was something in my genes that made me like working with my hands and try to understand how things worked. M.E. was like the most logical major for me, and I can't complain (even though I do more systems/processes work now). I know that in case of need I can work in almost anything that requires troubleshooting/technical skills.

Fast forward 25 years. My son is a junior in high school. He never showed any interest in using his hands for more than handling a mouse or a video game controller. I never pushed him, but usually asked for his help when I was fixing something...he just does not have it.
    So his college plans are more focused on the business/admin areas. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, he might end doing better than me....but I guess I expected him to get some of my (few) good things.
    I just think that there's going to be way more competition in those areas.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    We have a generation of folks that feel the big bucks are in MBA/business degrees. And they're right. Why do all that hard math, when all you have to do to make $150k is talk and smooze?

Most engineers I have been acquainted with do not want the extra responsibility, longer hours, and politics that go with managament, and particularly senior management, positions. Most of them do the math and it just does not make sense, unless they have a shot at the top tier jobs making high six or seven figures. If an engineer making $75,000/year and working a standard 40 hour week takes a managerial job making $150,000/year and then has to work 70-80 hours a week, where is the real financial gain in that? If the $150,000/year job is going to position you in the short term to springboard into a really lucrative senior executive position, then it might be worth it. Then again, it might not. It depends on what is important to you.
    Bottom line- the sheepskin pays out. Non-technical non-engineering pays much better in many cases. Sales, management, and the latest wave of project managers make the big bucks.

Every job has costs. Some people only look at a salary and a title and go for it, not considering high personal costs such as longer hours at work, additional pressure and responsibility, more travel time, longer commute times, impact on your marriage and family life, etc. Several years ago, Fortune magazine did an article on the children of senior executives. At the worst, many of them resented their fathers (or mothers) because he (or she) was never around. At the least, some of them had no resentment, they just felt like they really didn't know their fathers because he was never around.
    And eveyone can see the open recs and the pay scales for these jobs before they're filled.
    My engineering head, strange enough, is an MBA! The guy is insanely smart, but didn't have the patience for management. And he must work at 80 hours a week.

That is like having two full time jobs. :eek: So...what is his quality of life like? After you spend 14-16 hours at work, what do you feel like doing afterwards? If all you have in your life is your job, an 80 hour work week is probably nice. If you want to have time and energy for a life outside of work, a job with an 80-90 hour work week might not be the most appropriate.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2008
    Get into my line of work, the pay is marvelous the benefits great, your clientel might not be the greatest but ya cant have everything. Why thank you, all of you. Any degree will get you in, although CJ would be best.

RT1
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    What's your line of work RT1? Since you mention CJ, are you an LEO?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2008
    Wow. Looks like my 5:30 A.M. rant riled up a few people.
    Let's set the record straight. There's not a lot of these guys.
    Most of the PM's work hard and don't make anywhere near that much.
    But a couple of these "high level" PM jobs started appearing. And they were
    filled with guys from another division in about 10 seconds. I think they
    were created to keep them around.
    Why does that piss me off? Well, the other week one of those guys drags
    me into conference calls ALL DAMN WEEKEND.
    Most PM's will call to ask tech questions one on one. Not these guys.
    I was a PM for a couple of years myself. It's not like I don't know what they do.

The real point is, we seem to becoming a country of business majors
    and lawyers. You can't blame the young, they just follow the money trail.
    Do we need salespeople? Yes. Is it an easy job? No.
    Do we need twice as many salespeople? NO!

Note: this is just the mindless ramblings of a technical person for the
    general amusement of Polkies. None of it should be taken too
    seriously.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2008
    20 years a Fed Bob, its not for everyone but its been good to me.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2008
    I'm also a Fed, but with 15 years military that I bought back. The pay isn't earth-shattering, but the benefits are outstanding. 27 paid leave days, 13.5 PAID sick days, federal holidays, etc. Discounted health and life insurance, TSP, the list goes on and on. Job security is probaby the TOP benefit. I'll have 26 years in July, and plan on doing 40. FWIW, I bought back 15 years of Army service for about $5,400!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    What does it mean when you "buy back" years of service?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2008
    I get extra pay for LEO being a FED LEO is a great career with unlimited potential we are hiring. All the FED agencies need agents and officers.

RT1
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited February 2008
    I saw a article last year (i don't remember the publication) that had figures showing college edjucation to be a bad investment. They figured cost of schooling, interest on student loans and the loss of income from attending school full time as compared to people who went to work straight from high school. The increase in income didn't offset the cost. Of course they are taking averages because this wouldn't apply to a plastic surgeon in a major city but it is amazing how many people with college educations work at resturants and wall mart.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    What does it mean when you "buy back" years of service?

If you are not a military retiree*, you can buy back your service time to count towards federal civil service retirement/time in service/bumping rights in case of a RIF (reduction in force). Your buy-back is based on a percentage of what you made total while in the service, and what you would have paid in had you been a federal service civilian, but at a discounted rate. It can be paid in full up front, or you can simply have pay withheld (minimum of $35 a pay period) to pay the buy-back off. You can also send in lump sum payments anytime you wish. If you start the buy-back within the first 2 years of federal service (FERS employees), the buy-back is interest free; though interest is minimal if you miss the window. As soon as you make your first payment, your status/years in service changes immediately; IOW, you don't have to wait for it to be paid off to reap some of the benefits of the buy-back--of course your retirement would be affected if you didn't complete the payoff.

* Not completely accurate, I'm not a "resource management" expert so bear with me. You can buy back your time if you are a retiree, but since you cannot "double-dip" you'd have to give up your military retirement check and go only for your federal retirement. For 99/100 people this isn't financially advantageous. Most retiree's come back as contractors for this reason.

Now, to add to the confusion, for time in service purposes, my 15 years military counted the day I started as a Fed. I got the full leave/sick leave benefit---BUT, it didn't count towards retirement "dollars" paid out or time needed to retire. That's the difference bewteen a buy-back, and simply continuing your service with Uncle Sam. You have to buy-back to reap the financial benefit and retirement years accruement of your military service to be elligible for full retirement benefits.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2