Ready to take a sledge hammer to it!!!!

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Darla that is wayyyyyyy to funny. Where do you get those.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Darla that is wayyyyyyy to funny. Where do you get those.

Surely you know how to check the properties of an image to find it's location...10.gif

http://bestsmileys.com
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    Well as I said I've had problems before with NAD products. It seems some don't have any problems at all and then come the unlucky bastages like me.

I've NEVER had a problem with my NADs working....EVER!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    Surely you know how to check the properties of an image to find it's location...10.gif

http://bestsmileys.com

ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET!!!! Don't look at that link!!!

3.gif
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    you should have gone with the Lifestyle system from Bose :p;)

Joe,

sorry about all the problemo's you're having with your NAD unit.. i feel for ya. I am having trouble similar but different on a old Pioneer amp. no one will fix the dang thing. no one will take the time to repair it.. no one wants to spend more than a hour working on it to solve the problem once and for all. it's very frustrating.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2008

Yeah, but have you ever hit them with a sledge hammer? :eek:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008

You Sir happen to be the fella I was talking about that has never has a problem with NAD. I'm not panning them completely, I just don't seem to have much luck with them. Maybe I'm too rough.:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    :)O.K. So let's start a new "What will Joe Buy Now? " thread. Those are more fun.
    If Joe won't invest in another NAD, he might want to look into a GiNA. I hear they have more finesse, but when you push them hard they can get a little harsh.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    1.gif

I live to please.:)

Thanks bunches.
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, but have you ever hit them with a sledge hammer? :eek:

No...but I can imagine that this is exactly what Michael Bolton must do to get his voice to sound the way it does. :eek:

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    No...but I can imagine that this is exactly what Michael Bolton must do to get his voice to sound the way it does. :eek:

Damn You, Shack! Here we are trying help this poor soul and you want to bring up.....shudder.... Micheal Bolton!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    Joe - a friend back in IA had a similar problem, and with the help of many beers we finally figured out it was a bad digital coax cable. His Denon had been back to the shop also, and they said it worked fine. Brought it home and it started acting all screwy! Something about the intermittent short in the digital cable was making the processor go nutso! Just a thought!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Joe - a friend back in IA had a similar problem, and with the help of many beers we finally figured out it was a bad digital coax cable. His Denon had been back to the shop also, and they said it worked fine. Brought it home and it started acting all screwy! Something about the intermittent short in the digital cable was making the processor go nutso! Just a thought!

THANKS Doug that makes sense!!! Will try.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Good advice Doug.Always the most stupid,simple things we overlook first.Done it many times myself when troubleshooting.
    Hope thats what it is Joe,if not,the world is always in need of a fancy curb stop.Gives ya an excuse to go shopping anyway.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    lightman1 wrote:
    Damn You, Shack! Here we are trying help this poor soul and you want to bring up.....shudder.... Micheal Bolton!

I dunno...Michael Bolton and smashing NADs...

Somehow it just seemed....appropriate...

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    I dunno...Michael Bolton and smashing NADs...

Somehow it just seemed....appropriate...

Very much so....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Doug, thanks for drinking lots of beer buddy! Problemo resolvo!!!

Now for the embarrassing part. Right before all this crappolla started up, after the initial repair, I decided that I wanted to use the 5.1 SACD coming off the Oppo. I wasn't about to use any audiophile grade ICs for this as it is HT to me, i.e. sound effects, so I went into the cable box looking for anything that would have an RCA plug on each end. I needed six ICs. I found a batch of old Monoprice cables that I keep, for God knows what reason, and I connected the 5.1 section of the Oppo to the 5/7.1 section on the NAD that is there for just this reason.

Sure as God did make little green apples after doing the usual troubleshooting cable by cable, section by section, it turns out that those pieces of junk cables that were in the bottom of my cable box were the culprit!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!! No matter what I do to try to make it fail it DOESN'T!!!!:D:D:D

I just asked my wife to put the 25 lb sledge hammer back in the shed. . . awe c'mon man, I still have the flu! Besides she loves me!!!

I knew something good would come of this if I posted it up in a new thread.

Thanks again Doug . . .

BTW all you guys that told me to throw in the towel and get rid of it, kiss the side where the sun don't shine!!!!:D:p
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    all I gotta say. cables DO make a difference. yeah even in a home theater.. not just for 2 ch anymore. :)

congrats on getting the problem solved and you now owe Doug many more beers :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    all I gotta say. cables DO make a difference. yeah even in a home theater.. not just for 2 ch anymore. :)

congrats on getting the problem solved and you now owe Doug many more beers :p

I know they do but HT to me is sound effects so I reserve the higher end cable for the 2 channel rig. Ain't I a real snob?

Doug are you going to the October Polkfest?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2008
    Wow. High marks for Doug. His way sure beats the excitable Italian way of fixing things.:D
    Ready to take a sledge hammer to it!!!!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Wow. High marks for Doug. His way sure beats the excitable Italian way of fixing things.:D

Warren Zevon wrote a song about me!:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    I made sure all of the connections are correct and nothing is shorting......
    Now Joe....................:p :rolleyes: :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2008

And the album had the same name.....lets see, uh, was it Excitable Boy;):D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • shack
    edited January 2008

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money :confused:

Since you have created all the fuss on the forum OVER NOTHING...your punishment will be to listen to 12 straight hours of Michael Bolton. Your only out during that time will be to get the out sledgehammer...and smash YOUR NADs...and the music will stop. Trust me...it will be worth it.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited January 2008
    If you send it to me...

I garuntee a very entertaining you tube video! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dkg999
    edited January 2008
    No problem Joe! Glad you got it fixed. Somehow I am going to make it to the next Polkfest.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    Glad you got it figured out Joe!

That will teach you to be an audio snob!:p;):D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Awwww..does this mean no "What is Joe Gonna Buy Thread?". Poo Nuggets
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dkg999
    edited January 2008
    I think he should still reward himself for not having to replace the AVR! A nice upgrade will make it all seem like a little speed bump on the audio highway!
    DKG999

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    NAD is a very fine maker of audio gear, Joe just effed it up, its your fault Joe, now say your sorry, apologize and go dust it off.......

Sorry to hear Joe, hopefully NAD will make it right.

RT1