Ready to take a sledge hammer to it!!!!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
That is my NAD T773!!!! I've had some **** luck with gear in the past but thing has me simmering to a boil.

I purchased this beast back in February of 2007 but never got to get it up and running because our new (at the time) living room and related gear wasn't ready.

I got her up and running at the end of September. When I powered it up, no digital audio. The analogs were working, FM, AM, CD analog, DVD analog.

I found the closest NAD authorized service shop which is just outside Baltimore about 57 miles or so. I drove it to the shop as this thing is so heavy that it would cost a fortune to ship.

October 12th the unit is repaired, the DSP board was bad. I hook it up and it is awesome.

Move ahead to the end of November; I hit pause on my DVR, then hit play, now the audio is out. I checked the DVD digital audio and it too is dead. I click over to the analogs and they are working.

I thought the DSP board blew again. I completely shut down the unit and even took the AC away from it. Powered it back up in about 15 minutes; it's working fine.

The next morning, my wife is watch TV and pauses the DVR, back to play no audio except this time when I switch to the various analog outs I get four hums and then nothing.

I powered it off again waited, back on, dead. Powered it off again for a longer period and it worked upon power up but died as soon as the audio was stopped or muted and then returned to normal.

Now here is the weird part, the AVR is sensing the audio be it digital or analog, no matter what the source but it is still not making a sound.

I brought it back to the shop December 8th, (1 hour drive) and he had it running for a week on a DVD player and had no problems. He calls me just before Christmas and tells me there is nothing wrong with it. I did tell him it was an intermittent problem.

I get the thing back and I'm too sick to do anything with it.

I hooked it up today. I made sure all of the connections are correct and nothing is shorting as well as made sure of the connections on the source sides.

Power it up, NOTHING!!!! **** FLETCHER!!!!!

I power it off and check all the connections again . . . power it up, we have lift off and it sounds awesome!!!

I switched over to the DVD and IT'S DEAD! Switch it back to the DVR, IT'S STILL DEAD!!! Switch to various sources analog and digital and all I get is four hums and then nothing.

I called the shop, he said to call NAD Customer Service Center. . .I call NAD THEY ARE GONE for the day.

Now this thing is supposed to be under warrantey for another year starting next month, I don't know, but if I have to pay for shipping this monster up to Canada, I'm may as well say goodbye to $100.

That is all . . .

. . . carry on, . . .

. . . nothing to see here except a red faced, teeth grinding, fist clenched WOP wanting to kick someone's dog, not mine of course.:o
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like it's time to move on........ ;):)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    No ****! But I can't sell it like it is and I won't sell it to someone if I think it's not right!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Don't hold back Joe,,tell us how you really feel.;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    Go to bed Joe.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Go to bed Joe.:D

Only if you go with me!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Except for my TT(made by Rega), I wouldn't own anything by NAD.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like a kick in the NAD's to me ...nothing like an intermittent electrical problem to ruin your day.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2008
    I'm still tracking down that fish. That will calm you down. Hope all works out there Joe.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Well as I said I've had problems before with NAD products. It seems some don't have any problems at all and then come the unlucky bastages like me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like a kick in the NAD's to me ...nothing like an intermittent electrical problem to ruin your day.

I think it is more in the processing dept.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    You should call Trey...he knows all about sledgehammers, gasoline and other goodies for electronic devices.

Sorry to hear about the trouble, time to move on to something else!
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    Only if you go with me!

NC in March!;) and Bernadette has an invite too.:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Send it to George. He's got a magic closet.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    NC in March!;) and Bernadette has an invite too.:D

You'd better talk to Mike then!!!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Where does it need to go outside of Baltimore, Joe?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Ben I'm done with the service center in Baltimore they can't do any more for me . . . I have to go to the source.

The service center is called;

Just Audio
    8902 Belair Road
    Baltimore, MD 21236
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Ben I'm done with the service center in Baltimore they can't do any more for me . . . I have to go to the source.

The service center is called;

Just Audio
    8902 Belair Road
    Baltimore, MD 21236

Too funny. I walk past that guys house when I take out the dog. You were so close to my house, maybe 8 minutes, when you dropped it off. I would have been so happy for you to stop by when you were down here.

How is that place, by the way? I've driven by it a thousand times and figured that most of their business would be fixing old VCRs or something; really not much to look at.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    Joe, sorry to here but I agree it's time to move on.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• lightman1
    edited January 2008
    You'd better talk to Mike then!!!

Damn! Swing and a miss!
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    strider wrote: »
    Too funny. I walk past that guys house when I take out the dog. You were so close to my house, maybe 8 minutes, when you dropped it off. I would have been so happy for you to stop by when you were down here.

How is that place, by the way? I've driven by it a thousand times and figured that most of their business would be fixing old VCRs or something; really not much to look at.

Wow Ben I didn't know you lived so close to me. The last time went there it took 50 minutes.

They seem to have quite a business going there with all kinds of test gear and they are the only NAD authorized service center in the area. The next closest to me is in Pittsburgh, PA.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Damn! Swing and a miss!

Phyllisann!!!

Yep I felt the breeze from that miss all the way up here.
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Wow Ben I didn't know you lived so close to me. The last time went there it took 50 minutes.

They seem to have quite a business going there with all kinds of test gear and they are the only NAD authorized service center in the area. The next closest to me is in Pittsburgh, PA.

Ya never know 'til you ask:p:D

MillerLiteScott lives about 10 minutes west of there as well. Hopefully we're getting together in the near future, I'll let you know when and maybe you can swing by. He's rowdy as hell and plays a mean game of grabass, but I'm ok.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    I've got an old NAD 1240 that waited about 10 seconds before it discharged and thumped. I left the sumbitch on for THREE weeks straight after that and it still does it!:mad:
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    strider wrote: »
    Ya never know 'til you ask:p:D

MillerLiteScott lives about 10 minutes west of there as well. Hopefully we're getting together in the near future, I'll let you know when and maybe you can swing by. He's rowdy as hell and plays a mean game of grabass, but I'm ok.

Ha ha ha, at least he's been here; what's your excuse?
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Sorry for your pain:( At least I can scratch them off the list of potential amps:mad:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    :)O.K. So let's start a new "What will Joe Buy Now? " thread. Those are more fun.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    I see some Theatre Research or Matrix Audio Concepts in Joe's future. :D
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    How 'bout a Coby DVD player. Can be had on the cheap. They play some of the finest
    MP3's burnt to disc!

Wingnut..can I get the barfing smiley on this one?:cool:
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    Phyllisann!!!

Yep I felt the breeze from that miss all the way up here.

I've still got two more swings....
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    How 'bout a Coby DVD player. Can be had on the cheap. They play some of the finest
    MP3's burnt to disc!

Wingnut..can I get the barfing smiley on this one?:cool:

1.gif

I live to please.:)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.